Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Stick100 posted:

I actually prefer the Vive wands to the Touch controllers since the size and heft make it feel more like you're holding something instead of just having hands in space. I

I was thinking the same. Fortunately it shouldn't be any trouble to use a knuckle in the left hand and a wand in the right hand when they come out.

It's no protube, but I also made this for mine: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2216542

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean I might just work through it because despite being arachnophobic I played Skyrim normally with zero problems other than thinking the spiders were kinda gross looking as opposed to actually being afraid of them. Then again it took me a little bit before I got comfortable with even the weird skittering bug monsters in Serious Sam VR. I dunno I used to be jumpy and easily startled by poo poo running at me in VR but I got used to that so I can probably tough out the spiders too. I'll remember I can turn them into bears later if I end up being too uncomfortable with it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Don't think this was posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEhwLRX4m2s

Early bird $1500, normal retail $3000... welp, that's the cost range of a normal treadmill at Costco so I guess it's not completely unreasonable.

Edit: Apparently they say they already delivered their original model to Kickstarter backers too, though I don't see anyone showing them off on YouTube.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PenisMonkey posted:

Glock vs 1911 grip angle debate: VR edition.

oh god, that poo poo's as bad as 9mm vs 45.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

Early bird $1500, normal retail $3000... welp, that's the cost range of a normal treadmill at Costco so I guess it's not completely unreasonable.

Edit: Apparently they say they already delivered their original model to Kickstarter backers too, though I don't see anyone showing them off on YouTube.

I'm willing to look pretty lame for the sake of VR but I gotta draw the line somewhere.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Requires special shoes which no way in gently caress will fit my wide rear end feet. :(

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's... incredibly expensive, but I could be convinced into getting one down the line, that seems really loving cool.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

That's... incredibly expensive, but I could be convinced into getting one down the line, that seems really loving cool.

I went and read some slide mill reviews and they bring up a good point. This still doesn't solve motion sickness since there still is a disconnect between the inner ear and eye. But the good news is I found out there is a VR arcade 15 minutes from where I live where I can try an Omni (which I guess sell for $7000) for $19/30 minutes. I can't imagine they'll ever make their money back.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stick100 posted:

I went and read some slide mill reviews and they bring up a good point. This still doesn't solve motion sickness since there still is a disconnect between the inner ear and eye. But the good news is I found out there is a VR arcade 15 minutes from where I live where I can try an Omni (which I guess sell for $7000) for $19/30 minutes. I can't imagine they'll ever make their money back.

Iirc there's another recent tech development for VR that does something to the brain to diminish or stop the motion-sickness-inducong disconnect.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

I mean, watching a goon (I think Lemming?) actually using his Virtuix Omni was enough to cool me off on it, thanks to him for being the guinea pig though.

I'd still go for something a little more premium (i.e. the Cyberith Virtualizer before it fell into vaporware hell) just for the exercise though.

Stick100 posted:

If 12 people a day try it for 30 days then they've made their money back, so I can imagine it. Hell, in the 90's we had a cyber cafe with Dactyl Nightmare and they were cleaning up real well for like a year until they suddenly went out of business when everyone figured out how to buy a PC and use AOL in their own homes. But they probably made their money and got out when they saw the writing on the wall.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Iirc there's another recent tech development for VR that does something to the brain to diminish or stop the motion-sickness-inducong disconnect.

Yeah, there's some research on using electrical stimulation to mess with your inner ear but it can't be used while standing up because it will also mess with your balance.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

I mean, watching a goon (I think Lemming?) actually using his Virtuix Omni was enough to cool me off on it, thanks to him for being the guinea pig though.

Definitely not me. You're thinking of EdEddnEddy I think. Even if the treadmill was amazing I wouldn't use it because it's too much friction to setup/use and I'm lazy.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

haveblue posted:

Yeah, there's some research on using electrical stimulation to mess with your inner ear but it can't be used while standing up because it will also mess with your balance.

I mean, the VR treadmills all keep you from falling on your face, so maybe it would be OK if it messed with your balance? They'll probably never get the precision they need out of those though, maybe if they can auto-calibrate with machine learning or something.

Lemming posted:

Definitely not me. You're thinking of EdEddnEddy I think. Even if the treadmill was amazing I wouldn't use it because it's too much friction to setup/use and I'm lazy.

Ah yeah that's who it was. Friction is a good choice of words because that velcro diaper really looked chafing.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Zero VGS posted:

Wonder how fast it would get annoying having restricted freedom of movement at the waist like that. Also if it tracks jumping.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I'm the functionally unnecessary glowing LED ring.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

mashed_penguin posted:

I'm the functionally unnecessary glowing LED ring.

Well if your play session goes past dusk and you forgot to turn on the lights in your room you'd have a hell of a time getting out without that.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I sorted out some of the Skyrim performance issues I was having with the rift. I disabled the overlay from geforce experience and also disabled SS, asynchronous reprojection and interleaved reprojection in steam.

Running Oculus and steam betas and the hitching is much reduced. I'm trying to figure out if disabling the Oculus home beta is helping more as well or if it's only placebo but either way I'm happy now.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 12, 2018

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Dev goons, any go to tools for VR Unity development these days? I was bullish on VRTK, but that’s getting abandoned.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Well if your play session goes past dusk and you forgot to turn on the lights in your room you'd have a hell of a time getting out without that.

The victim was found strapped into an omnidirectional treadmill. If only it had a glowing ring he would be alive to this day :qq:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Is there a way to adjust the location of the SkyrimVR health/stamina/magicka bars and compass? I'd much rather have them a bit more centralized so I don't have to look down to see them.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

mashed_penguin posted:

The victim was found strapped into an omnidirectional treadmill. If only it had a glowing ring he would be alive to this day :qq:

i don't think we're thinking "death" here so much as "getting hilariously tangled up in your VR cables and possibly breaking your several-thousand-dollar treadmill with your fat goon body"

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I have a boring question about my Oculus Rift:

I'm lazy and don't want to plug/unplug the headset every time I use it. Is there a hub that I could buy with a switch so that I don't have to reach behind my pc every time? If I keep it plugged in, it constantly wants to start the Oculus software and run the headset, which I don't want all the time, obviously.

If such a thing doesn't exist, I suppose I could just get a short USB extender and HDMI cable so that I can plug/unplug in FRONT of my pc instead of behind it.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Mike the TV posted:

If such a thing doesn't exist, I suppose I could just get a short USB extender and HDMI cable so that I can plug/unplug in FRONT of my pc instead of behind it.
I have a short hdmi cable going to the front of my PC, and use that and the USB ports on the front for my headset. Then I just unplug, coil it up and put the headset on top of the PC when done.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mike the TV posted:

I'm lazy and don't want to plug/unplug the headset every time I use it. Is there a hub that I could buy with a switch so that I don't have to reach behind my pc every time? If I keep it plugged in, it constantly wants to start the Oculus software and run the headset, which I don't want all the time, obviously.

Goin to ask since everyone else will. Why unplug it? You can use oculus tray tool to disable the runtime so it don’t kick on.

I say this as someone who unplugs every time. My reason is I have nowhere to hang my headset that won’t have a cord tripped over. Before anyone asks. Lol

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I would keep your headset plugged in, and install Oculus Tray Tool, and set that up to stop the Oculus Service every time you shut the tool down.

With the service down, the headset will no longer keep the Oculus app running 24/7.

When you want to play, all you'll do is start Oculus Tray Tool and then start the Oculus app if it doesn't automatically start.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Warbird posted:

Dev goons, any go to tools for VR Unity development these days? I was bullish on VRTK, but that’s getting abandoned.

As far as I know VRTK is about the only thing. It's still being supported slightly as they are accepting merge requests. I can't believe Unity didn't step up and pledge, it was so incredibly stupid.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Mike the TV posted:

The oculus home app doesn’t start up unless you

1: put it on, activating the proximity sensor
2: run a VR app

I’ve left mine plugged in 24/7 for over a year and the thought of messing with that sounds insane.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Mike the TV posted:

It doesn't "run" the headset if the proximity sensor inside the headset isn't being tripped. If you drop it on a cluttered desk, or in a way that the strap falls into the way of the sensor, then it might launch stuff. But normally it should be transparent.

Barring that, no reason you can't leave the HDMI where it is and run a 1-foot USB extension to the front of the PC. The USB is the only thing powering the headset; the PC won't detect it if you have just the HDMI plugged in.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

DrBox posted:

I have a short hdmi cable going to the front of my PC, and use that and the USB ports on the front for my headset. Then I just unplug, coil it up and put the headset on top of the PC when done.

I would do that except that my front USBs are 2.0, and I would prefer to plug the headset into a 3.0.

EbolaIvory posted:

Goin to ask since everyone else will. Why unplug it? You can use oculus tray tool to disable the runtime so it don’t kick on.

I say this as someone who unplugs every time. My reason is I have nowhere to hang my headset that won’t have a cord tripped over. Before anyone asks. Lol

bobfather posted:

I would keep your headset plugged in, and install Oculus Tray Tool, and set that up to stop the Oculus Service every time you shut the tool down.

With the service down, the headset will no longer keep the Oculus app running 24/7.

When you want to play, all you'll do is start Oculus Tray Tool and then start the Oculus app if it doesn't automatically start.

Thanks for the quick response, guys, and I'll try the Tray Tool.

rage-saq posted:

The oculus home app doesn’t start up unless you

1: put it on, activating the proximity sensor
2: run a VR app

I’ve left mine plugged in 24/7 for over a year and the thought of messing with that sounds insane.

I have a "VR Cover" on mine that keeps the proximity sensor tripped constantly, so my headset always thinks it is being worn. It's slightly annoying, but the comfort is worth the hassle.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
You might also trim that VR cover to avoid tripping the sensor if you can. If you forget to toggle the Oculus tray tool and the headset runs overnight it could wear out or burn in the OLED so it's good to have an extra layer of protection.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mike the TV posted:

I would do that except that my front USBs are 2.0, and I would prefer to plug the headset into a 3.0.

Thanks for the quick response, guys, and I'll try the Tray Tool.

I have a "VR Cover" on mine that keeps the proximity sensor tripped constantly, so my headset always thinks it is being worn. It's slightly annoying, but the comfort is worth the hassle.

Move it higher on the Velcro. I have mine like yours on purpose.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Deuce posted:

Is there a way to adjust the location of the SkyrimVR health/stamina/magicka bars and compass? I'd much rather have them a bit more centralized so I don't have to look down to see them.

I'd take a look at the .ini file and tweak that to your liking. I know you can resize and move the dialogue and pick up object boxes as well if those bother you.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
turns out i look even more ridiculous making beatmaps than i do playing them

im gonna have a high score contest starting tomorrow. details to come, winner gets a copy of beat saber

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 12, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Did your cameraman fall over and die laughing in that last .gif?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hey Lemming, spotted you in the Echo Arena lobby! :wave:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i wish this could be the thread title.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

sheeeeit skyrim is scary when things like wolves jump out at you. had to nope right out of my headset.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

AndrewP posted:

sheeeeit skyrim is scary when things like wolves jump out at you. had to nope right out of my headset.

lol I was off getting the axe for clavicus vile and walking a high pass in a snowstorm when the encounter music started up, hmm nothing in front, what’s behWEREWOLF LITERALLY STANDING IN ARMS REACH

thanks for that, game.

Also, if you are playing as a bowman, the bit where you go find the fragment of wuuthrad for the companions is excellent right in the last room where a shitload of Draugr burst out of tombs one at a time - hop up on the altar where the fragment was, stealth-crouch and it’s a zombie duck-shoot. I think I got all of them without whiffing more than five arrows total.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Mike the TV posted:

I too have the VR cover that trips the censor but poking it with your finger should be more than sufficient to move the padding out of the way, if not, why not just clip a clothes peg or something to achieve the same ends? Would save you a lot of hassle in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol I was off getting the axe for clavicus vile and walking a high pass in a snowstorm when the encounter music started up, hmm nothing in front, what’s behWEREWOLF LITERALLY STANDING IN ARMS REACH

thanks for that, game.

Also, if you are playing as a bowman, the bit where you go find the fragment of wuuthrad for the companions is excellent right in the last room where a shitload of Draugr burst out of tombs one at a time - hop up on the altar where the fragment was, stealth-crouch and it’s a zombie duck-shoot. I think I got all of them without whiffing more than five arrows total.
Also, if you're going this route might want to get the bound bow conjuration (I forget where I picked it up but it was pretty early), dump 4-5 level points into magic until you have enough to cast it with the novice hood and then buy the base perk and bound weapons perk to make it stronger than any bow but late-game crafted ones. Plus, you don't have to fiddle with arrows. Add in one more perk if you want to capture souls too.

It uses bow skill so you can level up the bow tree as normal.

I unintentionally made stealth really good when I increased the teleport range in the options. stealth just seems to halve it so I can move around almost normally while stealthed and just do the entire dungeon like that. I forgot how silly stealth+bow is in this game.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 13, 2018