Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Yep. Rely on dodging on any difficult fight and you'll get through them fairly easily. It's an amazing game so don't give up.

You don't want to miss out on the wonderful sounddtrack, do you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWe5SreU8tI

el oso fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Heavy Metal posted:

I think in general we have kind of opposite viewpoints. I was saying how there is a wide range of tones and styles, then and now, and you're kind of boiling thing down and saying everything was kind of similarly informed. I think it's very possible a similar or almost identical series of games could have happened even if that war didn't happen for example.

A violent antihero in a game, we could have that in numerous decades. They were self-aware in that they knew Kratos the character was doing bad things, and wanted to show some consequences and more pathos in 3 etc, but i'm not quite sure what you mean by naive. And what is the transgression?

I'm saying that GoW, Gears, Halo, and CoD are some of the clearest examples of world events informing popculture during wartime in recent memory, and they parallel similar examples of cultural conservative jingoism and nationalism in other forms of media during that decade+

God of War 3 may have been self aware to a degree, but it was also reveling in the gore and guts in a way that's attempting to look transgressive but in hindsight comes off as callow and unsophisticated. A lot of media from that time works in similar ways. Transformers, regardless of how interesting a satire read is of any Michael Bay joint, reinforces notions about western neoliberal empire during wartime that are deeply unflattering, subliminal, and yet still profoundly naive.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I think the tone and presentation there, on gore and brutality, owe more to Mortal Kombat than the political climate. I'm not saying you're pulling this all out of thin air, but since games well before and after that period in time have had a similar range of styles and these tropes, I look at it a bit differently. Since to me the games in that period don't seems so unique in these areas.

I think there's an inherent cartoonish fun to that, which I don't think can be tied too much to unrest in the political climate. And on it being callow and various other bad things, I don't think it should bear that more than any other violent video game. But whether or not a violent maniac rampaging on Olympus is a bad thing, that's up to the player, I thought it was fine.

Going by what we've seen of the new one, he's still brutal and violent, with more detailed entrails than ever, though his personality is apparently more somber and vulnerable, with the son angle. Do you have any preliminary thoughts on the new game? And it's interesting to note that this game is by a guy who worked on the first three games, especially part 2, so if he has these views that he's sharing in the games, do you think he still has those views? And/or if he'll still be trying to say some of these things you're suggesting, on the surface level or otherwise?

And that all said, I'm not against analyzing video games up the wazzoo, I just do think having pulpy, zany narratives and stylized violent gameplay isn't something I personally want to have a negative light on. Since I think it's good, and want as eclectic a mix of things out there as possible.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
None of the terrible things Kratos does (except perhaps ending the world in 3) are worse than some of the things the gods and heroes of Greek mythology do. He fits in perfectly.

Also, the prequel games for PSP did all they could to make Kratos more sympathetic. Quite different from the rage monster in 2 and 3.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 13, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I think he is a dad now

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kratos has been a dad since the beginning

the once and future dad

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I mean barlog

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Manatee Cannon posted:

kratos has been a dad since the beginning

the once and future dad

Kratos is a literal demigod who was manipulated into killing his family.

Hercules was a literal demigod who was manipulated into killing his family.

They were pretty blatant about their inspirations. Too bad they didn't do anything with their similarities.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I read that as balrog for a second and was very confused

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

With all his fight money, I wouldn't be surpised if Balrog settled down a bit. And such cool music by the way.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Metal Max xeno is getting localized by NISA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8K8vcAauY0

e:also, at $40

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 13, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Real hurthling! posted:

Its gonna be weird when dmc5 get announced and dante has a son

Filled her darksoul with LIGHT as it were

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Here’s a hot take: God of War 1-3 were loving rad because gore is rad, boobs are rad, and playing as a pissed off self-destructive antihero who literally brings about the end of the world rather than take any sort of responsibility is rad.

I like how half the reviews I’ve seen trip over themselves to poo poo the earlier games for being too bloody or booby or whatever even as they give this high marks. Like gently caress you that was the appeal.

I’m going to play the poo poo out of this but I’m not going to lie: The universal acclaim from game journalists gives me pause because I know the type of poo poo journos reserve this kind of hype for. (In particular, Chris Plante at Polygon gave it a 10, and Plante couldn’t be more of a sniveling milquetoast hipster games writer stereotype if he was a straw man created out of nothing by certain reddit boards.)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The opening of nier is literally just the demo, right?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Motto posted:

the demo is the prologue yea

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Motto posted:

It's been a long time since I played the demo, but pretty much. I think the opening might have a bit more shooting and stuff.

I remember being pretty underwhelmed by the demo, but I'm glad I listened to goons and got the game a year later.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

bloodysabbath posted:

Here’s a hot take: God of War 1-3 were loving rad because gore is rad, boobs are rad, and playing as a pissed off self-destructive antihero who literally brings about the end of the world rather than take any sort of responsibility is rad.

I like how half the reviews I’ve seen trip over themselves to poo poo the earlier games for being too bloody or booby or whatever even as they give this high marks. Like gently caress you that was the appeal.

I’m going to play the poo poo out of this but I’m not going to lie: The universal acclaim from game journalists gives me pause because I know the type of poo poo journos reserve this kind of hype for. (In particular, Chris Plante at Polygon gave it a 10, and Plante couldn’t be more of a sniveling milquetoast hipster games writer stereotype if he was a straw man created out of nothing by certain reddit boards.)

You're almost making me ashamed of enjoying the earlier God of War games. That Beta Male poo poo is embarrassing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

bloodysabbath posted:

You are, uh trying way to hard.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I tried really hard to like god of war as an edgelord teenager but could never quite manage it. really wanted to tho

think I was influenced by the glowing review scores. same with resident evil 4 actually :v:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Although I enjoyed all the GoW games for the most part, there was one moment I vaguely recall that left a horrible taste in my mouth. I think it was in GoW 3, and it was where Kratos finds this random woman, who's not a god or anyone special, and you basically have to drag her while she's begging for her life and tie her to this crank which ends up crushing her to death and the whole thing was just to use her body as a doorjam so Kratos could get to the next room or something? I just remember finding it really disturbing and thinking, "What the gently caress was the point of all that?"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

How else are you gonna open a door, huh smart guy

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Renoistic posted:

You're almost making me ashamed of enjoying the earlier God of War games. That Beta Male poo poo is embarrassing.

Looking at the rap sheet, his entire post history is more or less the same.

It's some maximum :yikes:, but I guess that's God Of War in a nutshell.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bloodysabbath posted:

more of a lukewarm take iyam

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

qbert posted:

Although I enjoyed all the GoW games for the most part, there was one moment I vaguely recall that left a horrible taste in my mouth. I think it was in GoW 3, and it was where Kratos finds this random woman, who's not a god or anyone special, and you basically have to drag her while she's begging for her life and tie her to this crank which ends up crushing her to death and the whole thing was just to use her body as a doorjam so Kratos could get to the next room or something? I just remember finding it really disturbing and thinking, "What the gently caress was the point of all that?"

Yeah, I see that one written about all the drat time. I generally chalk it up to Stig Asmussen not being a good pick for game director. Jaffe and Barlog were able to tap into the sort of juvenile yet badass greek revisionism and make it dramatic, fluid, epic, and somewhat funny.

Stig inherited the reins and things just got dire.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Kratos from 1-3 is like peak early aughts shitlord. With his loving soulpatch or whatever. If you threw an affliction t-shirt on him he could front the crappy bro rock band at your local bar. The games were good in spite of this, but I never really enjoyed them. I have a hunch that had I been 13 or 14 when they came out I would have been real into it.

Welp that's my take, hope you enjoyed.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
This 20 minute vid is probably the best God of War story synopsis that covers all the console and handheld games. Good enough I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suycIDMhEE

:nws: for blurred titty and a lot of gore I guess.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I do agree that a game getting universal 10s isn't necessarily a great sign, though. Some of my favorite games got mixed reviews, and what they did appealed to me personally. "God of War but Kratos is less angry" probably appeals to more people but I've immediately started comparing him to other characters, like Joel from the Last of Us, and I'm not sure that the writing in GoW is going to compare favorably to that of tLoU.

Anyway, I digress. The GoW devs seem to aim towards a more ambitious story and I'm not sure they can handle it. I'm definitely playing it so I'm crossing my fingers!

I would lie if I said it didn't bother me a little that GoW is going to completely overshadow Hellblade, though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Where does Asura's Wrath fall on the Dad of War/edgelord scale?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

HGH posted:

Asura's a good dad and only murders people that deserve it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

god of war is coming out like half a year after hellblade so I'm not sure how it would overshadow it

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Manatee Cannon posted:

god of war is coming out like half a year after hellblade so I'm not sure how it would overshadow it

In future game discussions about action games making use of Nordic mythology, I suppose.

Asura is nothing like Kratos except for the being angry part. He's still a god, so he doesn't care all that much about normal people, but other than that he's a genuinely heroic character.

Edit: I enjoyed how several characters keep asking Asura why he's so angry all the time :lol:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Asura really bonded with that peasant girl and was disgusted by how the village would just throw away their lives. He seemed reasonably empathetic to me - for a god of anger at least.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I like Asura's Wrath if only for his fight with Augus on the loving moon while Antonin Dvorak's New World Symphony, 4th Movement is played in the background. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7799WH7-gM

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Yeah, Asura's still emphatic, but it's clear that he's somewhat detached from the people he's supposed to be protecting. That girl reminded him of his daughter which made his dad powers turn into overdrive, though. It's fitting that his daughter became a more available, 'human' god, hanging out in the villages.

Edit: Now that I think about it, that was sort of the point. All the gods lived far away from earth and its people, and they forgot their original purpose.

Great, now I'll have the Dvorac tune playing in my head the rest of the day.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 13, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

This 20 minute vid is probably the best God of War story synopsis that covers all the console and handheld games. Good enough I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suycIDMhEE

:nws: for blurred titty and a lot of gore I guess.

God, that comic art is dreadful.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

HGH posted:

Its a masterpiece. Dat moon level. Omg.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

People rightfully talk about the moon fight, but imo the hot springs episode immediately before is just as good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Renoistic posted:

In future game discussions about action games making use of Nordic mythology, I suppose.

Asura is nothing like Kratos except for the being angry part. He's still a god, so he doesn't care all that much about normal people, but other than that he's a genuinely heroic character.

Edit: I enjoyed how several characters keep asking Asura why he's so angry all the time :lol:

I think Hellblade carved out enough of its own identity with its unique subject matter and "indie AAA" presentation that it will remain and influential and important game apart from God of War. They just won 5 BAFTAs, it'll do okay.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I liked GOW1 and 2, but I had to get past all the stupid edgey stuff. Like the bang 2 women at once minigame. This new one looks interesting if only because Kratos has a beard and that's important for the way our society is now.

I hope he's a barista too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Kratos from 1-3 is like peak early aughts shitlord. With his loving soulpatch or whatever. If you threw an affliction t-shirt on him he could front the crappy bro rock band at your local bar. The games were good in spite of this, but I never really enjoyed them. I have a hunch that had I been 13 or 14 when they came out I would have been real into it.

Welp that's my take, hope you enjoyed.

Yeah Kratos as a character was always hard for me to care about because he looked so dumb and was a such a corny dickhead. It was a decent series but there was always a bunch of stuff putting me off of it.

New one looks really solid. I'm not expecting anything transcendent, but it looks like a really well made AAA game experience that I will enjoy.