Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So is Q build still the goto for Fenix? Or is the aa one that got buff good now?

edit: Do people think Genji is good at taking camps? Some moron was crying in chat for me to solo a hard camp :psyduck:

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I mean people merc with Xul so ... Maybe he thought you were Hanzo? Even Hanzo can't really do bruiser camps withouth having to go back to heal after each one.

Also calling it now, Zarya going to be the sleeper hit of the patch. That ult cooldown reduction is huge and she got a modest hp and damage buff.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Dire Human posted:

It would be legit hilarious if chugging made him Unstoppable for the duration, I’m sure there could be some fun nonsense he could pull off with that

Well he would become really overpowered, so yeah

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Eraflure posted:

Well he would become really overpowered, so yeah

I mean fenix's q continues no matter what you do to him, don't know why they couldn't do that to Chen. Like you can slow him or root him or displace him or whatever while drinking and those effects land, but they don't stop his drinking ability.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

bamhand posted:

I mean people merc with Xul so ... Maybe he thought you were Hanzo? Even Hanzo can't really do bruiser camps withouth having to go back to heal after each one.

Also calling it now, Zarya going to be the sleeper hit of the patch. That ult cooldown reduction is huge and she got a modest hp and damage buff.

Xul can shred a bruiser camp pretty fast with cursed strikes build. Murky with all slime talents is the only one I can think off of the top of my head who can do one faster without bribe, could be forgetting someone though.

Ort fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 12, 2018

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Because Chen is balanced around this. If you couldn't break him out of his drinking :
1) there would be absolutely no incentive to hit him while he's chugging, and a warrior you completely ignore half the time is horrible design
2) his laning would be absolutely insane

His chugging is very powerful in itself, but makes him an easy target for skillshot stuns. That's how you counter him, that's how he draws attention to himself and it's very important it stays that way, because you'd need to nerf/change pretty much everything else in his kit to balance things out if you made him unstoppable. I'm confident they will never implement this change unless they rework his other spells, or maybe as a level 20 talent.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Like all heroes, Chen would be more viable with higher stats (his DPS is lower than Diablo, mech D. Va, and Muradin, and substantially lower than Garrosh). His trait is still very strong.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Matazat posted:

There's a pretty major bug with Nova right now- if you take the Snipe splash damage and CDR on hero hits talents you can rapid fire it several times a second as long as you keep hitting multiple heroes with the splash, enjoy before it gets hotfixed

Can confirm, hit 16 and the enemy team couldn't even leave their spawn without taking 4 shots.

InformationHigh
Jun 27, 2004

Cool, quickmatch is full of Novas again

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
https://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/21701411/heroes-of-the-storm-development-updates-april-12-2018-4-12-2018

Long dev post

Third bans, Hero swaps, MMR decay, and placement changes coming is a pretty major highlight

Midnightghoul fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 12, 2018

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Hero swaps aren't coming any time soon, according to them. They are looking at it, but have concerns.

I am confused about one thing. They don't want to auto ban new heroes from ranked because they say they need the data. But new heroes have very high ban rates, so they can't be getting they data they say they want, right? And adding a third ban is only going to make that worse since 2 additional heroes are getting banned every match now. This is why I feel unranked should be banless, or have fewer bans than HL. It should be a more casual HL, not literally HL without points, imo. And it could at least get them better data.

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

appropriatemetaphor posted:

So is Q build still the goto for Fenix? Or is the aa one that got buff good now?

edit: Do people think Genji is good at taking camps? Some moron was crying in chat for me to solo a hard camp :psyduck:

People liked the AA build before they even nerfed him so I think that's going to be the go-to, but I was having a rough time with it last night. Sacrificing your shields just seems so dumb to me...I can't find a good time to use it. Q still felt pretty good but noticeably weaker. Interested to see how things shake out.

Third bans and swaps...interesting. I feel like swaps could lead to less variety and people bullying someone into taking the hero they want or swapping them, but maybe the third ban addresses some of that.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
"Ramping Up Actions

We’ve been working on a new system that uses machine learning to help improve the validation of player reports"

This sounds cumb and bad and nothing will cahnge, until they actually make real people look through the reports and replays

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Hero swaps aren't coming any time soon, according to them. They are looking at it, but have concerns.

I am confused about one thing. They don't want to auto ban new heroes from ranked because they say they need the data. But new heroes have very high ban rates, so they can't be getting they data they say they want, right? And adding a third ban is only going to make that worse since 2 additional heroes are getting banned every match now. This is why I feel unranked should be banless, or have fewer bans than HL. It should be a more casual HL, not literally HL without points, imo. And it could at least get them better data.
I only play UD so that I can beg for a Tracer ban, no sale... I propose instead that every player in UD gets a first ban.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

ToastyPotato posted:

I am confused about one thing. They don't want to auto ban new heroes from ranked because they say they need the data. But new heroes have very high ban rates, so they can't be getting they data they say they want, right?
New heroes have very high ban rates if they're released broken as gently caress. Blaze was released in a pretty balanced state, so in the week after his release he had a 23.8% popularity with 11929 picks and 4016 bans.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Removing bans from UD would likely just mean every UD you'd see the same 6 heroes every single match. If they want to collect better data on new heroes they should make QM give you real team comps every match instead of the random shitshows you get that don't actually help anyone improve.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Removing bans from UD would likely just mean every UD you'd see the same 6 heroes every single match. If they want to collect better data on new heroes they should make QM give you real team comps every match instead of the random shitshows you get that don't actually help anyone improve.

So then removing bans would make UD work like what QM should be?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Butter Hole posted:

People liked the AA build before they even nerfed him so I think that's going to be the go-to, but I was having a rough time with it last night. Sacrificing your shields just seems so dumb to me...I can't find a good time to use it. Q still felt pretty good but noticeably weaker. Interested to see how things shake out.

Third bans and swaps...interesting. I feel like swaps could lead to less variety and people bullying someone into taking the hero they want or swapping them, but maybe the third ban addresses some of that.

I just stuck with Q build and still got MVP every time as usual. Fenix does seem weaker in lane though, like aa'ing minions doesn't blow them away quite as quickly. Seems like he's still op and Q is still good.

And yeah dropping your shields at the exact moment people are probably in range to hit you? Seems risky unless you've got a good frontline.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

ToastyPotato posted:

So then removing bans would make UD work like what QM should be?

Pretty much

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

The biggest appeals of QM for most people I think are the ability to pick the exact hero you want every time and you dont have the "stress" of your teammate's scrutiny of your drafting choice. It wouldnt fix the issues with QM but I think if the game gave you the option to change your hero choice after seeing what team comp it threw you in to it would certainly help. Id still leave out chat for this part to appeal to all the QM people who cant stand the idea of team drafting.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I would play draft modes more if I had a way to guarantee that I wouldn't be forced into playing a tank.

But invariably every time I'm like "it's been forever since I've tried unranked/hero league, surely it won't be *that* bad this time", I'm last pick and shoehorned into playing a tank and I'm terrible at it.

Let me queue as a role and get matched up according to that and I'd do it more. I don't even mind supporting! I like playing support!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

i do not want to have to fight over who is on support duty with the people playing hanzo, genji, and tracer over and over in QM. Hots needs QM because its role system so firmly demands a tank and a healer, and you do not want these players in draft modes.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 12, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Putting draft into QM would get me to quit the game straight up. I do not like the draft.

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!
I would support renaming of QM, HL, and TL to Casual, Competitive, and Team Competitive.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

tcjimbo posted:

I would support renaming of QM, HL, and TL to Casual, Competitive, and Team Competitive.

Yes this would be great. What about unranked draft? Casual Draft?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I don’t see anywhere in that dev post that says they are adding draft to QM?

beejay fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 13, 2018

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Putting draft into QM would get me to quit the game straight up. I do not like the draft.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

If they made it so all qm matches have a tank/support then that'd be good. Although you'd still have the issue of being like "welp gg" right at the start because the other team got a better random draft.

Which I guess is fixed by just playing any other mode.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

They already have qm with draft, it's called unranked draft.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I think QM can be kind of fun with its weird matchups. Sometimes it sucks but it can also be fun having 3 warrior teams facing off with no support, it makes you consider different talents or play styles and UD exists for guaranteed comps anyway.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ort posted:

I think QM can be kind of fun with its weird matchups. Sometimes it sucks but it can also be fun having 3 warrior teams facing off with no support, it makes you consider different talents or play styles and UD exists for guaranteed comps anyway.

There are so many characters in the game though that you could still enforce a matchmaking rule of "a tank and a support on every team at minimum" and you'd still have plenty of room for weird lineups that you probably wouldn't see in a draft format. And that's what I think QM needs, not a draft or even a way to switch heroes before the countdown ends, just better, more functional matchmaking that doesn't commit suicide at the sight of a duo queued pair.

I say this as someone who's recently started playing team league and enjoying it. I enjoy the strategic element of drafts and bans and it's satisfying to watch that part of the plan come together in a cohesive fashion. It's also fun to just sit down, slampick whoever the gently caress I want, and play a game in 30 seconds. Being the casual loving-around mode doesn't mean QM can't be finessed into a better, less wonky experience. Particularly since its the mode that the majority of the playerbase interacts with.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
No way. QM is the fast spam treat every map like aram mode that the filthy casuals who keep this game alive love. Stop trying to poo poo it up with ways to make it a better moba experience. Its like trying to put lipstick on a pig.

Edit - i would rather them turn quick match into aram entirely and leave UD/HL/TL for serious games.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Erdricks posted:

No way. QM is the fast spam treat every map like aram mode that the filthy casuals who keep this game alive love. Stop trying to poo poo it up with ways to make it a better moba experience. Its like trying to put lipstick on a pig.

Edit - i would rather them turn quick match into aram entirely and leave UD/HL/TL for serious games.

The idea that QM has to be a shitshow as part of its special identity is pretty asinine considering how many quickmatch players regularly complain about how bad quickmatch is. Some of that is doubtlessly the same mental illness that afflicts anyone who plays mobas expressing itself but a bunch of the people complaining vocally and visibly enough to have Blizzard making blog posts and AMAs aren't just complaining about draft format modes but QM as well. A ton of the complaints regarding characters like Fenix and Maiev, for instance, boiled down to "quickmatch sucks hardcore now because the match is decided right out of the gate by whoever gets more of the bullshit broken heroes on their team."

e; like this kind of reminds me of when Overwatch got rid of hero stacking in quickplay so you couldn't do 6x D.Va rush strats or 6x Torb defenses anymore and you saw a bunch of threads on bnet and reddit pop up going "UGH stop letting tryhards ruin our casual fun!" but in actuality a lot of the requests to bring hero limits to quickplay came from people who routinely played quickplay who simply didn't enjoy getting their poo poo pushed in by double Zarya/Winston comps or being stuck on the team with three Widowmakers.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 13, 2018

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I think councilman Les Whinin oughta do more thinkin and less whinin'.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Qm wouldn't suck if match making wasnt absolute poo poo from a dogs rear end

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

banned from Starbucks posted:

Qm wouldn't suck if match making wasnt absolute poo poo from a dogs rear end

Honestly even if it just went back to the old "mirror match" sort of thing where it paired up heroes by role so if you got a team with five assassins okay cool, the other team will have five assassins. Instead anybody queuing as a group completely breaks whatever rudimentary system they have so you wind up with one team with 2 tanks and another team with 0 tanks, to give a recent example of a game I played the other day.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I would love it if QM tried to put a tank and a support in each team but I doubt there are enough tank and support players to do that. Just for fun I’ve been checking the profiles of those in my QM games and an overwhelming majority have most games played - sometimes by several hundreds if not thousands - as assassins. I guess that is why I don’t find QM that annoying since I mostly play tanks and thus get queued up vs other tanks.

Star fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 13, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I think quickmatch is great, no fuss fun. That's my hot take right there.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Star posted:

I would love it if QM tried to put a tank and a support in each team but I doubt there are enough tank and support players to do that.
In WoW the way it worked when I played was you got instant queues if you were a tank, fast queues if you were a healer, and long-rear end queues if you were a DPS. I'm sure some people probably started playing tank or healer just so they'd have faster queues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't like how matchmaking works though yeah, and I don't think I've ever seen a situation where a team of 5 randoms beat a 5man premade for example. Generally the team with more party members wins. I guess the algorithm sacrifices some quality matchmaking for faster queues so you get weird team compositions because there wasn't anything better available within a few minutes of queuing.