Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Riptor posted:

Yeah and larry david was a former snl writer who carried extra comedic meaning given his persona. There's arguments both ways but adomian acted like it was INSANE that anyone else dare play a public figure

My theory is that Adomian needed the money a lot more than Larry David.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

it sounds like adomian rules and david drools

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Riptor posted:

Yeah and larry david was a former snl writer who carried extra comedic meaning given his persona. There's arguments both ways but adomian acted like it was INSANE that anyone else dare play a public figure

Yeah, he was a writer. For one year. In the 80's. And only had one skit air. And quit because he hated it.

Adomian was selling out shows as the character, Larry David got the job because he was technically part of the staff and now has a successful sitcom. One actually, you know, put work as the character, the other just had an offer to do it. Comedians are competitive. I can totally see where Adomian's coming from. I don't think it's crazy to be pissed off that the comedian showcase show would rather pick the old guy with a name who's barely doing any work get on instead of the young guy who built a routine around the character.

prefect posted:

My theory is that Adomian needed the money a lot more than Larry David.

Yeah. Adomian could have used the paycheck and the attention. Everyone knows who Larry David is already and he's not hurting for cash.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I'm glad that Larry David apparently had no practice being a 70 year old Jewish guy from Brooklyn.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Franchescanado posted:

Larry David got the job because he was technically part of the staff and now has a successful sitcom.

I think you're understating Larry David's comedy stature here. He has a successful show now, after creating/writing Seinfeld, a massive success.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I haven't listened to The Dollop in a long time, that was a 90 minutes well spent. I had never even heard of such a race, which helped.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

I think you're understating Larry David's comedy stature here. He has a successful show now, after creating/writing Seinfeld, a massive success.

I like Larry David. He's hilarious. Seinfeld* and Curb are deservedly well-regarded. And I thought his Bernie was okay. Nonetheless, he's not a character actor or good at impersonations. My point is, Adomian's frustration wasn't unfounded and I don't think should be held against him.

*even though some of it's best seasons and most memorable episodes happened after he stepped down as showrunner

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Franchescanado posted:

*even though some of it's best seasons and most memorable episodes happened after he stepped down as showrunner

:staredog:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

This isn't that crazy of a take, dude. Larry David left at the end of season 7. There are 48 episodes where Jerry was the showrunner, including famous ones like "Muffin Tops", "Bizarro Jerry", "The Abstinence", "Yada Yada", "Frogger" and a bunch of others. They were also, by ratings and viewership, the series most popular seasons.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
By the way, I'd recommend The Death of Stalin for Dollop fans. It's basically a movie version of a Dollop episode. The acting is top notch.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Franchescanado posted:

This isn't that crazy of a take, dude. Larry David left at the end of season 7. There are 48 episodes where Jerry was the showrunner, including famous ones like "Muffin Tops", "Bizarro Jerry", "The Abstinence", "Yada Yada", "Frogger" and a bunch of others. They were also, by ratings and viewership, the series most popular seasons.

I bet the Simpsons has better ratings now than it did back when it was good. :)

Franchescanado posted:

By the way, I'd recommend The Death of Stalin for Dollop fans. It's basically a movie version of a Dollop episode. The acting is top notch.

I have heard non-stop good things about this movie, and am definitely going to check it out as soon as possible. :thumbsup:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Franchescanado posted:

It's absolutely fantastic.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

uPen posted:

It's absolutely fantastic.

I know loving the Zhukov character is the normiest possible take on this movie, but I'll remember that dude for decades.

This is a hard decision for me to make as someone who was listening to the Dollop since the initial lost episodes, but think I have to add that 1906 Race Dollop to my top 5.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The biggest difference between Death of Stalin and a Dollop episode is the use of accents.

The director behind the film didn't even try capturing all the different accents in the USSR. So he cast actors with their own strong regional accents from Brooklyn to Yorkshire.

Meanwhile, Gareth would try doing a Russian accent for Stalin instead of a Georgian one. Then he would accidentally slip into an Italian accent and be stuck portraying Stalin that way thru out the podcast because that's the voice he could do. Even though Stalin dies early on with very few speaking lines.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

RandomPauI posted:

The biggest difference between Death of Stalin and a Dollop episode is the use of accents.

The director behind the film didn't even try capturing all the different accents in the USSR. So he cast actors with their own strong regional accents from Brooklyn to Yorkshire.

Meanwhile, Gareth would try doing a Russian accent for Stalin instead of a Georgian one. Then he would accidentally slip into an Italian accent and be stuck portraying Stalin that way thru out the podcast because that's the voice he could do. Even though Stalin dies early on with very few speaking lines.

I think I heard that Lenin spoke English with a strong Irish accent. That would have been sweet Dolloping material.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Here's the green band trailer.

https://youtu.be/DIVchlt5E9Q

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

prefect posted:

I bet the Simpsons has better ratings now than it did back when it was good. :)

The opposite, actually. The Simpsons has significantly lower ratings now than it did during it's golden era

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
In 1989 the Simpsons had 28 million viewers an episode. In 1999 it was 13 million. In 2009 it was 7 million. In 2016 it was 4 million. It's been a pretty steady decline.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RandomPauI posted:

In 1989 the Simpsons had 28 million viewers an episode. In 1999 it was 13 million. In 2009 it was 7 million. In 2016 it was 4 million. It's been a pretty steady decline.

the US population was only 250 million in 1989, it's 325 million now. So percentage if the US watching has been shrinking even more than just the basic viewership numbers

soory about your argument prefect :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Guy Goodbody posted:

the US population was only 250 million in 1989, it's 325 million now. So percentage if the US watching has been shrinking even more than just the basic viewership numbers

soory about your argument prefect :)

I don't mind; it feels good to see the Simpsons losing ratings. I was a fan back when they were good. :smuggo:

I still get unironically angry when I think about the episode with Joe Namath in it. :spergin:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Riptor posted:

nah this is his actual issue with SNL

https://www.thedailybeast.com/comedian-james-adomian-snl-has-a-problem-with-casting-gay-men

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

That's a very valid complaint but it wasn't his main complaint in 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

https://twitter.com/JAdomian/status/984455187426197504

Worth every cent, whatever they paid him.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hell yeah it was, I hope they bring him back soon.

Also lol at all his sour grapes

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

Snowy posted:

Hell yeah it was, I hope they bring him back soon.

Also lol at all his sour grapes

Don't think it's sour grapes. SNL does not cast openly gay people. Usually, when they pick a part, they do castings. Odds are someone with top notch impressions was part of the casting. And he lost to a guy playing himself. Any comedian would be irritated.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
SNL's also bad about hiring minorities in general. Over 90% of guests have been white, there are always more men than women. And as near as I can figure this might be the first season where they've hired more than 2 men and 1 woman of color.

This isn't for lack of funny female comedians or comedians of color or homosexual comedians, and I won't speak to their motives for this hiring pattern.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RandomPauI posted:

SNL's also bad about hiring minorities in general. Over 90% of guests have been white, there are always more men than women. And as near as I can figure this might be the first season where they've hired more than 2 men and 1 woman of color.

This isn't for lack of funny female comedians or comedians of color or homosexual comedians, and I won't speak to their motives for this hiring pattern.

I will. it's because they're racist and sexist

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its because theyre lazy populist bureaucrats that only care about sustaining ratings with practiced methods of hiring chevy chase-types and john belushi-types

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Who exactly qualified as a chevy chase type? Unless you just mean white male? I can't think of anyone they've had who's like chase.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

Who exactly qualified as a chevy chase type? Unless you just mean white male? I can't think of anyone they've had who's like chase.

Norm Macdonald's Bob Dole impression reminded me of Chevy Chase's Gerald Ford.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Chevy Chase isn’t the best example since he’s a gigantic rear end in a top hat. If you think of “comedic white male who could be a main character in a movie” then Lorne’s hired a ton of them.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
jesus christ the new episode is so funny and so dense that i relistened to it and picked up on a few things i'd missed the first time cuz i was laughing too hard or spacing out imagining the movie

god this should be a movie

oh it was a movie, twice https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mishaps_of_the_New_York%E2%80%93Paris_Race & https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Race

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 13, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I'm picking my way through the Eric Prince episode but I might need to take a raincheck on listening to this one in full. I did enough dives into Blackwater in college. loving war criminal deserves to die in The Hague.

I love the Dollop but i can't bring myself to listen to it right now because i know i will be angry for the rest of the week. it happened when i listened the Iraq war and a few others like enron too.

the trump episodes though were weird. i hate the orange pissbrain but his child hood story sorta made me feel "bad" for him because after hearing it, his path was kinda set to be a broken racsist manchild who only cared about "winning" because daddy impressed it upon him.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dollop is consistently at it's best when it's about weird journeys.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

straight white straightman that can still be very silly. chase, murray, myers, sandler, norm, ferrell, sudeikis, bennett, etc etc

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
HIRE! MORE! SASSOS!!!

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Man mad tv was so much better than snl

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
^ Bad hobbyists!

This dollop was a great ep and I don't care about Larry David or whatever.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

The New York - Paris race episode is insanely great. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

A visual aid so that people realize exactly what was being driven and just how hellish the journey must have been: