Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Krycek posted:

When they say they're willing to wait 5, 8, 27 more years to play a finished game, how do they not consider the possibility that cig's funding dries up before then? Or is it a forgone conclusion that whales can fund this thing indefinitely?

One thing most people don't realize is that whales are fed up too. And I'm not talking about a minority of them. However, they keep funding because at this point they're too engaged to stop. It's similar to watching a movie, and one hour in you realize it's a crappy one and you've wasted your time. Should you stop ? Definitely. But there's a little voice inside your head that tells you, "well, since I've already wasted my time, might as well go until the end". And you watch the whole thing.

I dunno if there's a psychological term for that, but I think that's pretty much the state whales are in right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Quavers posted:

:siren: Own your own Star Citizen™ crate! :siren:

:laffo:

I have trouble deciding between :what: and :allbuttons: — they both apply.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Ledenko posted:

This game is built on lies.

I think you'll find the backers voted in favour of CIG lying to them. Checkmate :colbert:

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

OUR SNEEZE SHIELDS CANNOT REPEL A HUNGER OF THAT MAGNITUDE

Nyast posted:

I dunno if there's a psychological term for that, but I think that's pretty much the state whales are in right now.

In this case, I think the term is "In for a penny, in for a pounding."

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

AbstractNapper posted:

There's a disturbing lack of mentioning "still in pre-alpha" (or ok, just "pre-alpha") from the shitheads that will later proceed to hammer it to the poor idiot that will take the bait and join in.

Also missing: "Can I get a refund?"

According to CIG the game is officially in alpha. According to me it's closing to beta, since it's been in alpha for a while. And according to law it's released, because that's what is loving written black on white in their contract with Crytek.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Quavers posted:

:wtchris:

For just a second I thought RSI was literally selling jpg's of crates now.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

How many fans does that $1,120 crate hold?

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

MilesK posted:

How many fans does that $1,120 crate hold?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:fap:

:reddit: "I have to keep pledging, it's now an obligation!"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nyast posted:

Sunk cost phallusy

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Quavers posted:

Posting on the train home to say I loving KNEW IT!!. :boom:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quavers posted:

Going through the shop and it’s 925 pounds... for a loving box. A box! What the gently caress are you doing trying to interior decorate with this poo poo? You could certainly make your own... for like 1/10th the loving price, and it’s not like it’s something complicated, it’s basic loving woodworking!

This is a new paradigm of loving greed. Jesus Christ.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh it’s only 525 pounds for a Big Benny’s crate. Great for storing the chopped up limbs of your favorite anchorwoman.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Of the 63 core ships/vehicles:
  • 30 (48%) = not yet in-game
  • 7 (11%) = roadmapped for 2018 release
  • 3 (5%) = in-game ships roadmapped for 2018 rework

Quavers fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 13, 2018

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Xarbala posted:

Sunk cost phallusy

Oh yep, that's the one I had in mind.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Xarbala posted:

Sunk cost phallusy

Sunk phallus cost.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

Going through the shop and it’s 925 pounds... for a loving box. A box! What the gently caress are you doing trying to interior decorate with this poo poo? You could certainly make your own... for like 1/10th the loving price, and it’s not like it’s something complicated, it’s basic loving woodworking!

It's for the same idiots who buy Restoration Hardware crap, so...

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Poor Clifford will have to build another fan monster after he bought ten of each case

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Quavers posted:

Of the 63 core ships/vehicles:
  • 30 (48%) = not yet in-game
  • 7 (11%) = roadmapped for 2018 release
  • 3 (5%) = in-game ships roadmapped for 2018 rework

:five::five::five:

:five::five::five:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Very good. Do you have a kickstarter for your JPEGs?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Yes!

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Quavers posted:

cargo cult

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Keep doing what you're doing.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Living in my $15,000 Star Citizen gaming cave in real life waiting for the game I spent $15,000 on for starship JPEGs to come out

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Thoatse posted:

Star Citizer: having expectations of any kind is a great way to

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Anybody who still has money in this poo poo have a link to the client download? They haven't put it up for free grief weekend yet because doing something on time would be something a competent game company would do.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

People have to know that when they post that kind of poo poo 90% of people see it as a giant red flag right? Right?!

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Thoatse posted:

I don't know about you guys but I'm gonna buy like 5 of these Origin paragliders

Those paragliders really get my jimmies rustled.

Why are they holding onto two thin cords. There is nothing tying them to the glider, they are literally holding on for dear life.
And they are also holding their legs up in a crunch, they must have abs of plastisteel.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Taintrunner posted:

No, you see, it's a PC case! (that they have never built and fue which they don't have pictures)

quote:

6 Unit Crate built to be used as PC Chassis to build your ultimate Star Citizen themed rig. 200mm front intake fan included and a mount at the rear for up to a 360mm rad for fantastic cooling.

Built in to the top of the crate you will find a 7" touch screen giving you a realistic interface to control your PC power functions.

At that price it's a steal!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

I’m in a puckish mood and want my rap sheet cherry busted. Hit me with a Bearek sixer, Beet! My body is ready!

Hell, I’d campaign for a full 24, but I don’t think you got the stones, boy.

I mean... I can give you a 24 if you want, but... why?

Ill set up a round of probeartions this evening. I know I still owe a couple people some from a few pages ago.

big nipples big life posted:

Anybody who still has money in this poo poo have a link to the client download? They haven't put it up for free grief weekend yet because doing something on time would be something a competent game company would do.

Maybe this will work? Their website is extremely bad

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/download

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

Ill set up a round of probeartions this evening. I know I still owe a couple people some from a few pages ago.

Maybe this will work? Their website is extremely bad

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/download

Nah that just wants me to buy something. I guess I will just have to wait til they get their poo poo together :lol:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PederP posted:

Yeah, I've known people who were abrasive, obnoxious and argumentative online, but in "real life" were amazing people. It's really weird to see someone you know as a calm, selfless and amicable person, display a completely different personality in online discussions. At least some of these people I am absolutely sure it's not just some inner bully unleashed by the safety and anonymity of the internet - as they had every opportunity to act like this in real life. I certainly concede that some toxic people are bitter and toxic in real life (some repressed, some not). But a subset of toxic online personas are people who for some reason are extremely handicapped when interacting without body language, in writing, and/or similar reasons. It's quite fascinating, really.

Speculation: Perhaps such people simply lack empathy with people they only see as a username or a voice online? It could be that they simply cannot feel for a person unless that person is right before them :shrug:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lladre posted:

Those paragliders really get my jimmies rustled.

Why are they holding onto two thin cords. There is nothing tying them to the glider, they are literally holding on for dear life.
And they are also holding their legs up in a crunch, they must have abs of plastisteel.

Space New Zealand got pygmy date palms.

Bofast posted:

simply lack empathy

I'd argue that this is one of the broader problems in the world, as lacking empathy means it's easy to demonize and separate a person or a group out for real or perceived attributes, and that there's little point attempting to break apart people that do this poo poo for fun or because their brains are broken.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 13, 2018

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

If you steal a commandos ship and crash it do they have to wait for the absurd cooldown?

Is it still super easy to steal ships?

If the answer to these is yes I will volunteer

If you manage to drive even a single backer mad enough to refund the game, I would say you have also made a positive difference for humanity

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

I already queued one, so give him a probeartionary sixer so he has a nice thing.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

People have to know that when they post that kind of poo poo 90% of people see it as a giant red flag right? Right?!

There comes a moment where cult-like behaviour becomes so ingrained that you no longer realize it. And that actually helps the cult, because they don't want that 90% of people in there anyways.

Kinda like some infomercials and nigerian scams: why waste your time trying to reel in that 90% when what you're looking for is the people who (in this case) won't be repelled by CIG's antics

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Bofast posted:

If you manage to drive even a single backer mad enough to refund the game, I would say you have also made a positive difference for humanity

Griefing for the good of humanity. This is a mission I can get behind.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Currently, on /r/starcitizen: "Hooray, the game waited to crash until *after* I had sold all my poo poo!

e: SC stuff, not bear stuff

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

The question that needs to be asked is Miku having a breakdown after realizing his mega-pc has now been turned into a piece of poo poo with the release of this obviously superior PC case?