Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Vampires aren't a federally protected employment discrimination class

so its perfectly acceptable whenever you want to fire them..

full of bullets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

can vampires eat regular food

like do they swing through the tacobell drive through at 11:30pm hungry for $1 nacho cheese fries

if yes then why do you never see fat vampires

Have you ever seen a vampire poop?

I know I haven't.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

can vampires eat regular food

like do they swing through the tacobell drive through at 11:30pm hungry for $1 nacho cheese fries

if yes then why do you never see fat vampires

I want to say that this series had the vampire protagonist eating regular food that'd been doused in blood: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G78Z75Q?ref=series_rw_dp_labf

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

The cargo bay was much cooler. The steel of the floor was cold under my face. I lay there for a minute, panting, as the feeling painfully returned to my arm and leg. I could not understand what had just happened. Earl Harbinger had just given up his life for mine. I was sure that Darné was tearing him to pieces as we sat here uselessly. I gradually pulled myself to a sitting position, my back resting against a sheet-metal shipping container, my stomach clenched in agony, and my knee twinged as I moved it.

"We have to help him."

"Trust me, Pitt. Earl's fine. Too late to do nothing now anyways. Let's get up to the weather deck."

"What's a weather deck?" Mead asked with a blank stare. The big Ranger was splattered with blood, and there appeared to be claw marks on his M249 Squad Automatic Weapon.

"Fricking army. The top. The top part of the ship. The part that can see sky."

"Oh, okay. Sunlight would be good."

Sam hands Pitt a scavenged FAMAS from one of the French hunters as they climb up the tower. Pitt and Sam talk about how Grant left Pitt to die; Sam is a bit understanding, but still finds it cowardly. He just warns Pitt not to kill him because they're shorthanded enough as it is.

The mood on the deck is a bit more somber around Boone's team, where Roberts' body is covered with a sheet. Lee is lying on some blankets with his shirt off and bandages encircling his chest. Julie runs up and awkwardly grabs his armor instead of hugging him.

quote:

"I'm sorry we couldn't come back for you. There were more of them in the corridor waiting for us. We got jumped. I'm sorry. How did you make it?" She looked really happy to see me. The feeling was mutual.

"Earl saved me. I think he's dead."

"Nope. I just talked to him on the radio. He is on his way up and he has Darné's skull as a souvenir."

"How?" I asked in surprise. My spirit lifted upon hearing that bit of news.

"Like I said. Earl is the best Hunter alive. Don't worry about it. I'm just glad you're okay. I thought for sure that you were dead . . ." She paused. "That was really brave. Stupid, but brave. Thank you."

I blushed. "No big deal."

She patted my arm. "I've got to go inspect the cargo and make sure nothing is damaged before I contact the clients. You stay here and get some food and something to drink. You look like crap."

She signaled for a few of the others to go with her. Nobody was going to go anywhere alone on this tub. I watched her walk away. Even coated in dried vampire juices, she was the prettiest girl I had ever known. Trip interrupted my reverie by handing me a Gatorade and a power bar. I scarfed them down as he gave me the blow by blow of their last vampire encounter. I sat on a crate of grenades and listened to my friends. What it all came down to was this: it did not matter what high tech gear we had, or what weapons, or even what training. It came down to the friends that stood by our side, and our will to fight for them. It felt really good to be alive right then, I would stand with these people any day, and I knew that they would stand by me.

Oh hey, no fanfare. Harbinger is alive and well. There's certainly nothing unusual or inhuman about that.

Pitt overhears a familiar voice, and turns to find Grant near the railing. Grant is about to have a really bad time.

quote:

"Hey, Grant," I said cooly as I approached him.

"Pitt. I'm glad you made it. Look, I'm really sorry, but—"

I cut him off. I was closing distance. I did not want him to run because I didn't think I could catch him.

"Grant. You left me to die."

"Wait just a second." He lifted his hands defensively. "It isn't like that. They would have gotten me too. If I left that hatch open, we would both be dead."

I tried to look nonviolent. That is difficult when you are a hulking, scar-faced brute of a man. I kept slowly closing distance. The Hunters from Boone's team that had been speaking with him sensed serious trouble and backed away.

"You left me behind." I was directly in front of him now.

The railing was to his back and he had nowhere to go. He must have sensed what was coming because he tried to duck. It did not work. I felt great satisfaction as his nose broke with an audible crunch under my meaty fist. His legs buckled and he started to fall.

I grabbed him by his neck guard and jerked him around until he was facing me. Blood was streaming down his face. He tried to perform an aikido wrist lock to break my grasp, but I was far too strong and angry to fall for that. I slammed him backwards into the railing.

"Do you know how to swim?" I asked coldly.

"Pitt, it wasn't my fault, please wait . . ." he begged. I punched him solidly again, this time in the mouth, smashing his lips and cracking a few teeth. My cup was not exactly overflowing with mercy.

"I said: Do. You. Know. How. To. Swim?"

"No, please. I'm sorry."

"You had best be a quick learner then," I said as I lifted him off of his feet, and heaved him over the railing.

Don't worry folks, he hit the flotation device on Grant's armor so he just pops back to the surface after a few seconds. The other hunters run over, and they don't look happy. Boone orders a rope thrown to him, not to save him from drowning but because all the wight meat in the sea has probably riled up the sharks.

quote:

The sun was setting over the bow of the Antoine-Henri. The fourteen surviving members of the MHI teams were gathered on the deck in a rough semicircle, illuminated in our ragged exhaustion by the fading golden rays. Grant Jefferson had been safely retrieved from the water and was standing as far away from me as was possible, with a giant, white cotton swab shoved into each nostril. Harbinger had not been happy, and had promised to talk to both of us later. I was not looking forward to that, and I just hoped that it did not end up with me being terminated.

Julie had cataloged all of the valuable cargo. None of the artwork had been lost. The others had found her excitedly browsing through an open cargo container filled with priceless art. Not being a connoisseur of painting, all of the French artwork looked like bunches of colored dots to me. She had not been very happy when she had heard about what I did to her boyfriend. The look she gave me had been oddly similar to the one that she had given that first vampire before she had shafted it through the heart.

All of the crew and French Hunters had been accounted for. Tissue samples had been taken from each individual creature to be sent to the PUFF offices for confirmation and to begin the bounty paperwork. Between the huge PUFF reward and the fulfillment of the French contract, it had been a very lucrative day.

But it had its price.

The body of Jeremiah Roberts had been laid upon an unzipped body bag on the cold steel deck. His neck guard had been torn away, and unlike the neat little puncture holes that most people seem to imagine for vampire bites, the Hunter's throat was missing a massive chunk of flesh, leaving a hole from his trachea to his spine. Boone's team stood the closest to the body. This was their business. The rest of us were mere watchers. The man they called Priest said a few words. As it turned out, they called him that because he had been one once upon a time. This was a Hunter's funeral, and it was as sacred as any service inside a church.

"He was the bravest amongst us. So fearless that regular people would think he was crazy, but not us. We understood him and loved him for it. Jerry was afraid of no man or beast on Earth or from Hell. I am alive because of him. Our whole team is alive because of him. He is here because he took the brunt of the attack to protect the rest of us. And today was not the first time he did that, just the time that his luck ran out. We are taught, Greater love has no man than this that he lays down his life for his friends. My friend. Our friend. May you rest in peace. Until we meet again in the better place. Amen."

"Amen," chorused the group as one.

Boone stepped forward. His face was streaked where tears had run through the grime on his cheeks. He looked somberly down at his fallen teammate, and then he slowly knelt at his side. The warrior gently touched his friend for the last time.

"I'm sorry I failed you, Jerry. I'll be seeing you around."

I had to avert my eyes because of what I knew was coming next. I was not the only one. The sound of Boone's fighting knife being drawn from its sheath seemed to go on forever. Roberts had been bitten by a vampire. It had to be done.

When Boone was finished the rest of his team helped him to his feet. He cleaned his knife on a rag. Priest zipped up the rubber bag, and the Hunter's funeral was over.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That's literally what I said in A.

Please read and then respond.

Yeah. I just said it in an easier to read format.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
My hot take on the vampires immediately being evil thing is that Darne is as much under the will of ol Machado as his wights were under his.

But what do I know, I'm a Monster-American myself, so of course I'll try to rationalize their actions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Something I don't understand about Pitt's grenade gambit: don't smoke grenades look totally different from fragmentation grenades? Given that vampires apparently retain their knowledge, how did Darne not spot this immediately?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

Something I don't understand about Pitt's grenade gambit: don't smoke grenades look totally different from fragmentation grenades? Given that vampires apparently retain their knowledge, how did Darne not spot this immediately?

Also despite being turned by the most powerful vampire of all and even being able to feel Julie's pulse from afar, he couldn't pull a lie detector test on Pitt? Is he that good of a liar that he doesn't even get nervous doing it? If so, is that Larry dissing on accountants?

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

chitoryu12 posted:

Also despite being turned by the most powerful vampire of all and even being able to feel Julie's pulse from afar, he couldn't pull a lie detector test on Pitt? Is he that good of a liar that he doesn't even get nervous doing it? If so, is that Larry dissing on accountants?

I'm pretty sure Pitt was in an extremely nervous and agitated state the entire time so his heart rate would be sky high anyways. Plus there is a reason why lie detector tests normally test you for baseline first before asking actual questions.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

US grenades are, M18 smoke is a big cylinder while the m67 frag is a ball. I have no idea if the Monster Hunter universe has special garlic filled smoke grenades or silver wire frags though, so no telling.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

HE concussion grenades are usually cyclical shaped.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Samizdata posted:

Yeah. I just said it in an easier to read format.

Ah, so you were making a narrative post then

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Is he that good of a liar that he doesn't even get nervous doing it?

To be fair, lie detectors are based on bunk science and don't really do better than chance in practice. You can't really use any sort of vital sign measurement for lie detection because there's so much noise. "People get subconsciously nervous when they lie and it comes out in heart rate/blood pressure/sweat/whatever" is one of those things that sounds good but doesn't actually seem to be true when tested. Even police operators admit that they use them more as just another intimidation tactic in interviews to pressure people because they just aren't reliable. That's why they're inadmissible as evidence, for example; the results are meaningless and have been proven to be meaningless.

Of course, it's probably more likely that the author just didn't think of that.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Funny how when it's a civilian firearm we get a load of unnecessary details but when it's military equipment like grenades it's just 'a grenade'.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The biggest problem with the book is definitely the main character, who is a complete rear end in a top hat. Not just the constantly hitting on a woman who is definitely not reciprocating but his know it all attitude to everything.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

muscles like this! posted:

The biggest problem with the book is definitely the main character, who is a complete rear end in a top hat. Not just the constantly hitting on a woman who is definitely not reciprocating but his know it all attitude to everything.

And the "hitting on a woman who's not reciprocating" actually gets worse from here. Like we're not even at the depths of Pitt's most pathetic pleading.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

AND he knows full well is already in a relationship, at that. Two things that would make him an rear end in a top hat, and he's managing to hit them both at the exact same time.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
I wonder where it's coming from, I don't remember campy monster movies having a lot of girlfriend stealing NTR bullshit.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ah, so you were making a narrative post then

Let's kill this before it grows up, okay?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zereth posted:

AND he knows full well is already in a relationship, at that. Two things that would make him an rear end in a top hat, and he's managing to hit them both at the exact same time.

Doesn't matter since the boyfriend is a pussy coward bitch, right?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Re: the smoke grenade-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh677-ClXCY

It can be done to have a smoke look like a baseball grenade. But why would MHI do that?

And if the smoke was a white phosphor grenade, which is standard, how did that not set of the fumes or whatever everyone was paranoid about.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Samizdata posted:

Doesn't matter since the boyfriend is a pussy coward bitch, right?
My money's on Grant either dying a cowardly death, or redeeming himself from his earlier cowardice locking Pitt in with the wights/vampire by dying heroically, leaving Julie unattached.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I bet either Grant gets turned into a vampire, so both he and Lord Machado are on the same side against our hero, or he dies an cowards death despite Pitts attempts to save him.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zereth posted:

My money's on Grant either dying a cowardly death, or redeeming himself from his earlier cowardice locking Pitt in with the wights/vampire by dying heroically, leaving Julie unattached.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I bet either Grant gets turned into a vampire, so both he and Lord Machado are on the same side against our hero, or he dies an cowards death despite Pitts attempts to save him.

I read these quite a while ago, and I just don't remember.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Zereth posted:

My guess is that Grant does the single worst thing imaginable. The one thing so heinous that it will put him forever beyond hope of redemption and make Julie immediately write him off entirely with no regrets.

That's right.

I think Grant is going to go work for the government.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Monocled Falcon posted:

I wonder where it's coming from, I don't remember campy monster movies having a lot of girlfriend stealing NTR bullshit.

Considering Pitt is a Mary Sue self-insert, I'm wondering if Julie is based on an irl woman...

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Choco1980 posted:

Considering Pitt is a Mary Sue self-insert, I'm wondering if Julie is based on an irl woman...

The only thing that would be better is if it WAS and when the woman irl finally had enough of Larry and told him to gently caress off, he turns Julie into an evil vampire who Pitt then takes pleasure in killing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've read ahead enough that I can say that more than one person is right about what happens to Grant. I'm just not going to say which ones.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I bet either Grant gets turned into a vampire

Khizan posted:

I think Grant is going to go work for the government.

What's the difference!!!!!!!! hyuck hyuck hyuck

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am not sure why any of you are shocked by the protagonists lack of respect for female agency in his romantic desires. Its wholly consistent with the explicit moral ethos of the text.

The entire novel is a glorification of power as the ultimate moral authority. When we are first introduced to the main character, he is explicitly described as a failure. He is belittled, disgruntled, and living a life devoid of both glory and significance. Even in exploring his personal history we discover his only moments of achievement and self-actualization are earned through the application of violence. He pays for college as a pit fighter. He briefly earns his fathers love as a child as a marksman. The primary act that begins the protagonists journey to self-actualization is the use of deadly force. His life is wholly bettered by the fact he was finally given an opportunity to cause violence without concern for the victim. By this, he is elevated to a new station in life which offers him both greater wealth and greater respect. The message here is simple, the application of strength by the strong is good, the repression of that strength is not.

Is this not the whole ethos of MHI itself? We are given no explicit reason to believe monsters are universally deserving of death other than the fact that MHI declares it to be so. We are given no clear understanding of the agency or experience of the vampires, or werewolves, etc. We are merely told that the thing they are is a thing which must be destroyed. And the right to destroy them is contained entirely in the potential to destroy. MHI has the moral authority to take life solely from the fact that it has the power to do so. We are given no clear moral reasoning as readers to believe that there is anything ethical in what MHI does. Instead, we are told to view them as a moral force because they are strong and because the application of that strength is amusing to us.

Which leads to female agency. If the protagonist experiences self-actualization through the use of inherent strength, and this usage of strength is seen as "good" by the novel itself, why should we be surprised that he might seek to force the strength of his will against the will of another? He has earned everything by force, why should sexual gratification be any different? If the protagonist is able to bend a weaker will to act in a way that is gratifying to him, the novel clearly tells us he has the moral right to do so. It doesn't matter if she is interested in him if the protagonist can apply the force of his will to make her change. It doesn't matter if she already has a partner, because if the partner is lesser in strength than the challenger, the partner is suggested to be undeserving of satisfaction. In a world in which having the power to take something is the only justification needed to take it, what should it matter to the protagonist if his romantic desire is unwilling. He could forcefully rape her in the next chapter and the novel would celebrate it as the rightful order of a moral universe.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

Harbinger summoned me to the cargo bay. There were only a handful of us left on the freighter. The Hind had taken the most injured of the Hunters, and the Brilliant Mistake had been signaled to return to pick up a few more men and our gear. Surprisingly, the little boat's crew had stayed nearby to help us. Harbinger gave them an extra $20,000 for their trouble and the admonition to never talk about this unless they wanted the government to pay them a very unpleasant visit. He must have been feeling generous due to the big haul. The Director also gave them business cards, along with instructions to contact us if they ever heard of any more monster problems. Since we could not advertise, much of our business came in the form of referrals. Representatives of the French shipping corporation were already en route to retrieve their valuable cargo. The remainder of our fee was to be wired to us upon receipt. The Hind was to return for its last pickup shortly.

I limped painfully down the stairs into the vast central bay. Each bootfall echoed hollowly through the cavernous room. I had been paralyzed, drowned, beaten, shot with my own gun, partially paralyzed and choked, and I was hungry, tired and saddened by the loss of some of my favorite guns. If anybody should have been put on that chopper it was me. However, it seemed that Harbinger wanted to speak privately first. That was not a good sign. Even Grant had been sent back to land to get his nose and teeth checked.

Earl Harbinger, Sam Haven, Milo Anderson and Julie Shackleford stood before a giant orange container, the heavy-duty kind that could be picked up through the opening in the deck by a giant dock crane and set onto a semitrailer or train. The sheet-metal double doors were hanging open, and the four experienced Hunters were gathered at the opening.

"Hey," I said as I approached, not that they did not hear me coming, but I couldn't think of what else to say. None of the four looked up. Julie had her arms folded and she appeared rather cross. Harbinger pointed inside the container.

"What do you make of this, Pitt?" He shined a flashlight into the interior. There were seven wooden crates inside. Each was long enough and deep enough to easily hold a person. I ducked my head as I entered, pulling out my own flashlight to get a closer look. The air tasted stale. The lids for the crates had been set aside, and the interiors seemed to be filled with nothing but dirt. I ran my hands through one; it was a thick black loam. Another was white particulate sand, and yet another looked almost like Alabama red clay.

"Coffins," I said. "For the seven Masters in my dream."

"Yep," Harbinger said. "And I'm willing to bet that the dirt is soil from their native lands."

The rest of the gang is more and more willing to accept the existence of Master vampires, especially after encountering so many wights under Darné's control. Darné was as strong as a century-old vampire despite being apparently freshly turned, and the rest of the sailors were equally too powerful.

quote:

"He was a good guy when he was human," Sam said. "Losing him is a drat shame."

"People change when they are turned. It doesn't matter what they were like before. No matter how good they were, when they turn, they come back as pure evil . . ." Julie trailed off, and then changed the subject. "We probably need to alert the Feds. Seven high-level vamps on U.S. soil? They would shut us down in a second if they found out that we knew and didn't tell them."

"I hate Feds." Milo spoke for the first time. Sam spit on the floor.

If you want to picture Sam as Yosemite Sam after this point, go right ahead.

As Pitt looks through the coffins, he notices that a corner of the container has had all the paint dissolved away and is coated with some kind of ichor. Sam takes them around to another container and shows them that it's been torn open from the inside, apparently by something really mad and really strong that wanted out. Pitt suggests it may be those winged creatures from his dream, and Harbinger asks him to explain the whole story.

quote:

"So that's why you brought me down here. I thought you were going to yell at me for beating up Grant," I replied cheerfully. Julie folded her arms and glared.

Pitt tells them everything starting from seeing Byreika in the hospital. He skips over seeing him while drowning, as he's still not sure whether or not that was a hallucination. They theorize over what he could be, and Harbinger suggests that he might be a ghost that latched onto Pitt while he was dead on the operating table and has been brought back.

quote:

"Be sure to ask him that the next time you see him," Milo told me.

"Except I only see him when I'm dead, or about to come close to death," I added sardonically.

"That will be convenient for you then. You're a Monster Hunter now. Plenty of good opportunities to die all of the time!"

We cut to the Hind flying back to shore. The pilot is playing songs from bands like Disturbed, Slipknot, Rob Zombie, and even Pitt's brother's band, Cabbage Point Killing Machine.

quote:

I had never ridden in a helicopter before, and it was kind of exciting, loud and with painful vibrations, but still fun. Almost like a roller coaster ride with the added advantage that it could shear a bolt and kill you in a matter of seconds.

Ah, something people on this board will finally agree with!

After Julie falls asleep, Harbinger opens his eyes and moves over next to Pitt to talk to him. Because they're in a helicopter without headphones, they need to shout their entire conversation.

quote:

"I wanted to talk to you about Grant."

"Okay," I shouted back.

"I know about what happened."

"He left me behind to save his own skin."

"I know," he yelled. It was hard to have a conversation by shouting. "Grant says that he didn't think he could save you . . . That you would both have been killed."

Perhaps. I did not respond, not knowing what to say, and not wanting to admit that Grant very well might have been right, and honestly not really knowing what I would have done if our situations had been reversed.
"Don't ever let something like that happen again. I'm the boss. I take care of discipline. You undermined my authority."

"That's it? You aren't mad at me for hitting him?"

"Oh, if I was mad, you'd be swimming home."

"Serious?" I asked.

Earl sighed and rubbed his face.

"What are you going to do with him?" I asked.

"Huh?"

"What are you going to do with Grant?" I said, turning up the volume.

"I don't know yet. Maybe Grant's right, and he would've died keeping that door open, and I don't believe in committing suicide to prove a point."

"Sam said something about it being easier to be brave when others are watching you. Maybe Grant isn't so tough when there aren't any witnesses," I insisted.

"Yeah, Sam's a regular philosopher," Earl responded. "You can face some really scary poo poo, and be just fine, as long as you're doing it for your team." He grew suddenly serious, and I had to look away from those cold eyes. "Either way, it ain't none of your business now. Don't ever do something like that again. Hunters can't lose control. Got that? You never lose control. Do you have a problem with that?"

"No, sir."

Pitt tries to ask what Julie thinks about it, but Harbinger reminds him once again that it's none of his business and to shut it. He also gives Pitt some bad news: he's going to have to go back to accounting.

quote:

"I got a letter yesterday. The IRS is going to audit us. I'm gonna need your help; our books are a mess. Once we handle this little vampire problem, of course."

I grinned. That I could handle.

"I can deal with the IRS. They're a little easier than vampires. Not much, but a little."

"Will sunlight banish them?"

"Maybe. I haven't tried that before."

"That's just the tip of the iceberg though. OSHA is crawling all over us for—I kid you not—workplace safety violations. As if there is anything safe about what we do at all. The EPA is angry about some of the pollution we have caused by burning certain kinds of monsters. Fish and Wildlife wants to fine us for killing a giant mutant Tennessee River catfish because it was endangered. Sure it had just crawled up on land and eaten some teenagers, but it was still an endangered species. We're in trouble with the BATF for some missing compliance paperwork for the machine guns and explosives—paperwork which they lost. And Immigration is investigating us for employing some illegal aliens."

"Are we?"

"Sure, but who doesn't? Do you think you just put an ad in the paper for people who can fly Russian attack helicopters?"

"Why are the Feds hammering us?"

"We've pissed a lot of people off in Washington. Our company was shut down for a long time. PUFF was only reactivated by the slimmest of margins. There are a lot of bureaucrats who are itching for us to fail. They're making it drat near impossible to get our jobs done."

"So what are we going to do?"

Harbinger grinned savagely. "From the amount of money we made on this job, I'm going to buy me some congressmen, maybe even a senator."

I was shocked. "Are you talking about bribery?"

"Why? Does that offend you?" he asked.

"Oh hell no. I'm a libertarian at heart. Screw 'em."

Ah, so he's an rear end in a top hat at heart.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

quote:

"That's just the tip of the iceberg though. OSHA is crawling all over us for—I kid you not—workplace safety violations. As if there is anything safe about what we do at all. The EPA is angry about some of the pollution we have caused by burning certain kinds of monsters. Fish and Wildlife wants to fine us for killing a giant mutant Tennessee River catfish because it was endangered. Sure it had just crawled up on land and eaten some teenagers, but it was still an endangered species. We're in trouble with the BATF for some missing compliance paperwork for the machine guns and explosives—paperwork which they lost. And Immigration is investigating us for employing some illegal aliens."

Ah yes, the argument that all regulation is fundamentally shortsighted because those with the moral power to wield force are the only ones who have the authority to decide how that force should best be used. This is exactly what I was referring to as power being the sole ethos of the novel.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, I made it through I think three of these things (because I really wanted to read about the adventures of monster exterminators), before I gave up.

There's a real thread of "The violent and strong are the only hope. And that's us. If you're peaceful (i.e. pathetic and weak), I suppose you can hide behind us and not get in our way. But we want money for doing this. We'd probably be doing an even better job if it weren't for all those pesky laws and regulations from those greedy, conniving politicians"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, I made it through I think three of these things (because I really wanted to read about the adventures of monster exterminators), before I gave up.

There's a real thread of "The violent and strong are the only hope. And that's us. If you're peaceful (i.e. pathetic and weak), I suppose you can hide behind us and not get in our way. But we want money for doing this. We'd probably be doing an even better job if it weren't for all those pesky laws and regulations from those greedy, conniving politicians"

Absolutely. The fundamental ideology behind the story is both painfully trite and painfully dangerous because it is wholly built around the refusal to take personal responsibility for one's own failures.

Correia is telling you, reader, that you are not weak. You are strong but the REAL weaklings won't allow you to be strong.
You are not unsuccessful. The fickle GOVERNMENT is keeping you from being successful.
It is a pornographic fantasy for the un-actualized white male that he could be everything he wants to be if only he existed in a moral universe that celebrated his power. Its an ur-text of the alt-right.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
So this is essentially a Shadowrun story, except private entities are GOOD because of course they'll be GOOD, only the Government and their stupid regulations are bad!

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

I've been skimming this thread until I'm caught up on the book, has anyone taken the position that it's NOT hilariously right-wing propaganda with a side of sex-pestery? Because AFAIK everyone's been clowning on its politics from page one

Like, who are you arguing with exactly

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Clipperton posted:

I've been skimming this thread until I'm caught up on the book, has anyone taken the position that it's NOT hilariously right-wing propaganda with a side of sex-pestery? Because AFAIK everyone's been clowning on its politics from page one

Like, who are you arguing with exactly

The issue is that the politics are taken as an absurd element of a comical book rather than a dangerous attempt to normalize fascism in a treatise on a toxic world view.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The issue is that the politics are taken as an absurd element of a comical book rather than a dangerous attempt to normalize fascism in a treatise on a toxic world view.
Won't someone think of the vampires?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The most dangerous man in America. Who can resist the ideas swirling around in his perfectly egg-shaped head?

I mean if you want to argue that books with gross politics are inherently toxic and can't be fun (disagree!) or that gun-porn is inherently right-wing (disagree somewhat!) or whatever then go ahead, that would be interesting and imo very relevant to a Correia read-through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Clipperton posted:

I mean if you want to argue that books with gross politics are inherently toxic and can't be fun (disagree!) or that gun-porn is inherently right-wing (disagree somewhat!) or whatever then go ahead, that would be interesting and imo very relevant to a Correia read-through

Thats what I am doing

• Locked thread