Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I just got offered a job! A real person adult job!

Congrats at making adulthood at 40!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

Hopefully the monolithic beast that is Century Link can provide you much better service than they do here. My brother has them and gets 40mb, which is more than sufficient IMO, but he's ticked off at them for their billing. When he ordered he asked them a dozen times or more if the price they were quoting included all the taxes and fees, and would be the actual price he had to pay every month, and every time they said yes. His first bill arrives, and it's got a fee of some sort (one of those recovery charge things that's on every bill from Century Link) on top of the price they quoted. When he called them to complain they say that this isn't a tax or fee, it's a "recovery charge", which of course doesn't change the fact that they lied about the price being quoted being the exact price he would need to pay.

He is good at holding a grudge, so he's switching to Cox as soon as the contract time is over.

It should be fun because their website doesn't even acknowledge that my house exists, even though one of their pedestals is literally in my front yard. Putting in my neighbor's address 50' north shows they offer 100mbps service for about $60ish, which is more than enough for me when Cox wants $105 for 300.

My old man has them (a few miles away at a new development, so they have fiber available) and for pure internet-only service it's apparently no extra fees of any kind.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Im paying AU$110 a month for an unlimited 100/40 fiber service here in Aus, and im one of the lucky ones WITH fiber who can actually GET close to the 100mbit im paying for- we sit on around 98mbit most days. Brothers on the other side of the National Broadband Network- Fiber To The Node and hes paying for a 100mbit service that occasionally delivers 70mbit but usually sits on around 60mbit.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Also, anyone with Verizon lose service? Was at the bar earlier, and everyone with Verizon lost service at the exact same time. Figured it was just one tower, but now I'm 25 miles away at the house and it's the same. No one has anything above 1X. loving weird.

Also, sad if my first thought was "God dammit, what did Trump loving do now?" when everyone's service dropped?

B t dubs: go loving bolts

Haha, everyone here on the beach with verizon is freaking out I wonder what happened.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

Congratulations Rhyno! Hopefully you won't have to deal with freaks like you did at the comic shop

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Cox is the worst for bill creep. Started at 44.99 five years ago, crept up to 79 loving dollars without any plan changes.

Cancelled them, waited 30 days, signed up for a new plan under a different billing address for the equivalent 29.99 plan.

I call them every couple of years when whatever deal I am on runs out and say I'm cancelling because they are too expensive. I end up with a 'customer retention' person who sticks me on whatever best suits my demands (keep my internet under $60/month) and then I am fine for the next two years. It's a pain in the rear end, and it's stupid that I have to do it, but it works (at least so far.. going on 13 years in this house). My service varies because of this, sometimes I'll be on 50mb for two years, and then next time (and currently) I'll be on 100mb service, because at the time of my call, that was the best plan for the lowest amount of money. Just a stupid game I have to play.

Rhyno posted:

Congrats! Hope you like it and it pays well.

IOwnCalculus posted:

It should be fun because their website doesn't even acknowledge that my house exists, even though one of their pedestals is literally in my front yard. Putting in my neighbor's address 50' north shows they offer 100mbps service for about $60ish, which is more than enough for me when Cox wants $105 for 300.

My old man has them (a few miles away at a new development, so they have fiber available) and for pure internet-only service it's apparently no extra fees of any kind.

I wish I could get fiber. One of the downsides of living way the gently caress out in rural-ville, that infrastructure isn't coming out here for a very long time (never).

Good luck with CL, if they could provide me with that kind of speed, I would probably switch, even though changing my email address after 15+ years would be a pain.

Oh - a note about email - apparently CL has poo poo for spam filters. When my brother switched he went from a couple of spam emails every few days to something like 25+ per day within a month of getting the email address from CL.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Ferremit posted:

Im paying AU$110 a month for an unlimited 100/40 fiber service here in Aus, and im one of the lucky ones WITH fiber who can actually GET close to the 100mbit im paying for- we sit on around 98mbit most days. Brothers on the other side of the National Broadband Network- Fiber To The Node and hes paying for a 100mbit service that occasionally delivers 70mbit but usually sits on around 60mbit.

Yeah the house I'm moving into tomorrow is STILL on ADSL2 and tops out at 12mbit. That'll be AU$69.99 for the privilege thanks.

Meantime it turns out I can fit 80% of my life in the back of my Corolla. I bet the suspension and clutch hate me in 1000km's time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Wow. I don't feel so terrible then. I have true FTTH 250/250 for $100/month in :canada: dystopia

I could even have true megabit if I wanted for $150 but meh, I so rarely top this out it would go to waste. Same 1TB cap anyhow.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Rhyno posted:

Awesome! Deets?

STR could learn from you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So my wife is a community manager for an upscale apartment complex here in town. One of her best friends was just promoted to a similar position at another company
They need service techs pretty badly. We were at dinner tonight and I mentioned my rotten interview and she said "Just come work for me" and I thought she was joking. She was not. Starting pay is comparable to the industrial positions I applied for, excellent benefits (DENTAL!), 9-5 work day mon-fri with on calls on sat-sun that are split among the staff. They'll fully train me in anything I don't know how to do. It will suck in winter but the only current exterior tasks they list is clearing sidewalks and salting. I have to do a formal interview monday and pass a piss test. She also stressed how much room there is for advancement as two of their in town properties are going to need new head service techs in the next year. And the best part, the property I would work at is 5 minutes from home.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 13, 2018

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rhyno posted:

So my wife is a community manager for an upscale apartment complex here in town. One of her best friends was just promoted to a similar position at another company

They need service techs pretty badly. We were at dinner tonight and I mentioned my rotten interview and she said "Just come work for me" and I thought she was joking. She was not. Starting pay is comparable to the industrial positions I applied for, excellent benefits (DENTAL!), 9-5 work day mon-fri with on calls on sat-sun that are split among the staff. They'll fully train me in anything I don't know how to do. It will suck in winter but the only current exterior tasks they list is clearing sidewalks and salting. I have to do a formal interview monday and pass a piss test. She also stressed how much room there is for advancement as two of their in town properties are going to need new head service techs in the next year. And the best part, the property I would work at is 5 minutes from home.

Working with your SO can be a little rough, depending on your personalities. Especially if the power dynamic is disrupted. My fiance and I have been working together for about a year and if we both weren't so easy going, it would have been rather trying on our relationship

Be prepared to take poo poo for each other's mistakes, day 1

E: pulled website

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 13, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
STR got a job, posted details and got doxxed to the point that he didn't get the job.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

The Door Frame posted:

Working with your SO can be a little rough, depending on your personalities. Especially if the power dynamic is disrupted. My fiance and I have been working together for about a year and if we both weren't so easy going, it would have been rather trying on our relationship

Sounds like he's working for the friend's company, not the wife's.

Good poo poo, Rhyno. Congrats.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

ilkhan posted:

Ohhhh, reading comprehension is a tough skill

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Door Frame posted:

E: pulled website

It's my wife's friends company, I know better than to poo poo where I eat.

nm posted:

STR got a job, posted details and got doxxed to the point that he didn't get the job.

Good point. A bit harder here since the person hiring me knows me personally.

ilkhan posted:

Yup and thanks! Hopefully the formalities go quick. This of course means that all 6 other prospects will contact be by the end of next week.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

nm posted:

The gently caress?

Really?

Movie chat: kid has been asking to see Deadpool. Kid is 11. 11 year old me wants him to see it because 11 year old me would have already seen it by twisting the tuner nobs on the tv / fake wood and black cable box in the middle of the night and watched it a dozen times: static and all.

But he’s a whole lot more...responsible and mature than me at the same age.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Grats on the possible job Rhyno!

Fermented Tinal posted:

Can you swap the ion2 seat onto the 5 way's frame?

I doubt it. I'll have to pull the upholstery off of at least one seat to check, and frankly, that's a lot more :effort: than I want to put into this.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i have WOW! and get 150/50 with no data caps and 200 tv channels for $99/month

$40 a month, no caps, and they gave me a year of Amazon Prime. :v: But... you can tell they're running some pretty heavy QoS. Video streaming can be hit and miss (especially with DirecTV Now), web sites can take a long time to load. Torrents, file downloads, and speed tests (of course) are always full speed. Their customer service is a loving nightmare too. Back to Spectrum in August though... it's that or AT&T U-Verse VDSL at the new place. :sigh: At least Spectrum's lowest tier at the new place is 200/20 (it's 100/5 here).

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I thought data caps were only for phones lol.

How do you even use that much data on home internet, gaming?

:filez:, running a Plex server that a few people have access to, Amazon Prime, DirecTV Now, Netflix, and Hulu, in my case. My GF streams music and tv shows, with the occasional movie, from my Plex server to her home TV all the time, my parents stream tv shows from it, and I'm usually streaming music to my phone from it when I'm working (Google Play Music's Music Manager is a dick and often stops uploading new tracks for months at a time, I gave up on it).

Rhyno posted:

IT MIGHT BE FREE-CAR-O-CLOCK AGAIN.

Is it a Ford Tempo? Let it be a Tempo.

InitialDave posted:

Is it a Saturn with a busted front end and saggy seat?

Hey, if he wants to come down and haul it back to Methville, I'm more than happy to provide beer.

ilkhan posted:

STR could learn from you.

:fuckoff:

iwentdoodie posted:

That's no way to talk about STR and Dave.

Also, anyone with Verizon lose service? Was at the bar earlier, and everyone with Verizon lost service at the exact same time. Figured it was just one tower, but now I'm 25 miles away at the house and it's the same. No one has anything above 1X. loving weird.

:glomp:

Looks like VZW has a major outage in FL,

Tide posted:

The gently caress?

Really?

Yup.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

:filez:, running a Plex server that a few people have access to, Amazon Prime, DirecTV Now, Netflix, and Hulu, in my case. My GF streams music and tv shows, with the occasional movie, from my Plex server to her home TV all the time, my parents stream tv shows from it, and I'm usually streaming music to my phone from it when I'm working (Google Play Music's Music Manager is a dick and often stops uploading new tracks for months at a time, I gave up on it).

Yeeerp... between my 30TB plex server with about 7 regular users, Motor trend, youtube, browsing, games, downloads etc we're averaging around 3TB a month of data traffic, Best to date was 5.6TB in a month.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My current ISP doesn't provide a meter. My router provides one, but it slows down overall speed, so I don't have it enabled.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, grabbed the wrong shirt this morning to use as an undershirt, and since I went to the gym it was too late to change it.

So now I'm wearing a white, striped polo with a normal white t shirt underneath instead of a real undershirt. Which is fine, except it's a Cockney rejects shirt, so if I stretch or move weird you see big red letters saying OI OI OI coming out.

I have a meeting with our VP this morning :v:

Also, STR I sent you an email the other day, did you get it?

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 13, 2018

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
You're all spoiled internet brats! There's no infrastructure for high speed internet out here in the middle of rural michigan so I have to have a verizon data line that is 4G speed and limited to 24 gb/month for $110 per month. I can also tether from my phone at 4g but that's limited to 15 gb/month. I actually have to be careful how many videos i watch on youtube and its probably best I crank them down to 480p to be safe. Forget about any streaming services, I had to disconnect my PS3 from the internet because it would download the latest movie trailers in high def when I put in kids movies.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Rhyno posted:

Prepare to be roped into jobs you might not particularly qualified for, plus being the go-to guy at 5 AM on Sunday as well. Yes, I know you said on call is split but that's something that is that no-one mysteriously seems to be available when its inconvenient for them.

If do it, insist on being called Schnieder.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Rhyno posted:

It's my wife's friends company, I know better than to poo poo where I eat.

Good point. A bit harder here since the person hiring me knows me personally.

It's almost always about who you know, congrats dude!

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Modus Man posted:

You're all spoiled internet brats! There's no infrastructure for high speed internet out here in the middle of rural michigan so I have to have a verizon data line that is 4G speed and limited to 24 gb/month for $110 per month. I can also tether from my phone at 4g but that's limited to 15 gb/month. I actually have to be careful how many videos i watch on youtube and its probably best I crank them down to 480p to be safe. Forget about any streaming services, I had to disconnect my PS3 from the internet because it would download the latest movie trailers in high def when I put in kids movies.

It's a drat shame about broadband in the US. Eisenhower saw the value of the inter-state highway and the US collectively reaped decades of reward from that, how the gently caress do we not see this with the inter-net.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

trouser chili posted:

It's a drat shame about broadband in the US. Eisenhower saw the value of the inter-state highway and the US collectively reaped decades of reward from that, how the gently caress do we not see this with the inter-net.

There's money to be made

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Drove ~700km today, we stopped to camp overnight and discovered we broke my pop up tent by having the kayak sit on top of it.

It’s still usable, thankfully. Now copping some decent rain, wind and a serious lightning storm. Hope the lake we camped next to doesn’t rise too much :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The Door Frame posted:

There's money to be made

There's money that's already been paid, and not delivered. And now we're charged more for it. :911:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah, its whatever for me but man I am not looking forward to two days of bitching the household is gonna do. :(

Tell them that they are welcome to contribute for the unlimited plan.

Seminal Flu posted:

There's money that's already been paid, and not delivered. And now we're charged more for it. :911:

Yeah, that's the part that steams me.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Calling back to the "way too young" discussion from earlier, I just rewatched Starship Troopers. I saw it first at 7 years old, I had nightmares for weeks and am still terrified of bugs to this day, but it's one of my favorite movies ever. Even if the 90210 parts feel like they drag on forever

One of my favorite things about it is people who read the book and get all butthurt about it being ruined, but don't realize that Paul Verhoeven was born in Amsterdam in 1938. He might have a very different view of fascism and military fetishization than the American writer who sat out WWII due to Tuberculosis

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Paul Verhoeven specifically said he basically wanted to take the piss out of fascists with the movie.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

iwentdoodie posted:

So, grabbed the wrong shirt this morning to use as an undershirt, and since I went to the gym it was too late to change it.

So now I'm wearing a white, striped polo with a normal white t shirt underneath instead of a real undershirt. Which is fine, except it's a Cooney rejects shirt, so if I stretch or move weird you see big red letters saying OI OI OI coming out.

I have a meeting with our VP this morning :v:

Also, STR I sent you an email the other day, did you get it?

Oooh - reminds me of a time (think late 80s/early 90s) when a friend and I decided to hit the community pool one summer. We didn't have swim trunks but were wearing shorts, so we emptied our pockets and jumped in. He was wearing white shorts and red underwear. Which were visible to everyone as soon as he got in the pool.

It could have been worse -- he could have been wearing whitey tighties

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

Prepare to be roped into jobs you might not particularly qualified for, plus being the go-to guy at 5 AM on Sunday as well. Yes, I know you said on call is split but that's something that is that no-one mysteriously seems to be available when its inconvenient for them.

If do it, insist on being called Schnieder.

They'll train me to do pretty much everything required if I don't already know how to do it.

Edit: HA! GM called. Group interviews start monday.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 13, 2018

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

BigPaddy posted:

Paul Verhoeven specifically said he basically wanted to take the piss out of fascists with the movie.

But Robocop!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Darchangel posted:

Tell them that they are welcome to contribute for the unlimited plan.

:lol::lol:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

trouser chili posted:

Because most of our old government folks don't loving understand the internet.

https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/mark-zuckerberg-congress-hearings-funny-stupid-questions.html

Rhyno posted:

I need to make some calls...

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 13, 2018

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Rhyno posted:

https://jalopnik.com/watch-gm-employees-in-south-korea-destroy-their-ceos-of-1825047037

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Rhyno posted:

They'll train me to do pretty much everything required if I don't already know how to do it.
You're not going to be "trained" to be a plumber, electrician or any other trade. Property management companies/owners are notorious for making their general maintenance people do poo poo that they have no business touching. That's what I was trying to get at. Hopefully yours is different.

Best of luck, hope it works out for you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

You're not going to be "trained" to be a plumber, electrician or any other trade. Property management companies/owners are notorious for making their general maintenance people do poo poo that they have no business touching. That's what I was trying to get at. Hopefully yours is different.

Best of luck, hope it works out for you.

If it's anything like where we live they call in professionals to do that sort of work.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Tonight's the night, boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Tonight's the night, boys.

For what?

• Locked thread