Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Paintings sell for a whole lot of money, if and only if the painter is dead and the paintings are in the private collection of a really rich speculator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Straight White Shark posted:

says the rando that comes into the online forum about webcomics to talk down to people

do i talk down to people? like i know i get rude on here but thats mostly because its what people seem to respond to, i try to respect folks intelligences generally

Mors Rattus posted:

i would have more respect if you weren't literally saying things like 'Aaron Diaz should sell paintings of his webcomics for thousands of dollars'

dude already makes thousands of dollars not doing anything, is it that much of a stretch to imagine this?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

dude makes his money primarily in economies of scale - he sells a lot of (relatively) inexpensive goods, gets ad dollars, probably patreon dollars.

That is a very, very different thing from 'making thousands of dollars on a single sale.'

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

FunkyAl posted:

actually no, nobody should do webcomics. everyone should do paintings. aaron diaz could be making thousands of dolars more per page at this point if he was making his comic into real, huge paintings he could sell. but he doesnt bexause hes either a big chicken or doesnt actually know how to paint or both.

"OhhhHhh. This one is SO provocative. What's it called?"

"rear end of a Quadriplegic Teenage Cyborg"

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i make customised dildos so you can be eyes deep in my characters' asses while they're balls deep in yours. incidentally i live in an abandoned factory and sell my teeth for food money

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

selling your teeth doesn't seem sustainable

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

AriadneThread posted:

"my" teeth here meaning: teeth that they own

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

this broken hill posted:

i make customised dildos so you can be eyes deep in my characters' asses while they're balls deep in yours. incidentally i live in an abandoned factory and sell my teeth for food money

You should try painting the dildos

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
you'd be surprised how many teeth you can have if you just work hard and believe in yourself

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm amazed that there will always be horrifying webcomics.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

this broken hill posted:

you'd be surprised how many teeth you can have if you just work hard and believe in yourself

That's a drat lie. The truth that they don't want us to know about is that 1% of the population owns 99% of the teeth. We need teeth redistribution NOW!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm amazed that there will always be horrifying webcomics.

:stare:

I thought that art style died out with the Bush Administration...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Posting this from my getaway van full of diamond molars. You'll never take me alive, choppers!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I didn't know that, I just thought it was a well written empathetic portrait of a pretty common thing to feature in peoples' lives, that hasn't been sent through the internet glurge processor of "actually the dad is an orc and Clarissa gets to behead him with an axe just like in my videogames"

It should be awkward, it's nailing that sense of horror of being totally under a sadist's power and nobody is going to help because your problems bum them out. That's an extremely legitimate job for art to do in a medium that's overwhelmingly escapist power fantasies for manchildren where sexual violence is a spice you sprinkle in to make your story about beheading orcs Mature and Serious, or something to jerk off to.

I get that, and I think it balances the pitch black humor with a convincing portrayal of a child trapped in the worst kind of abusive family, but I can see how people wouldn't pick up on the parody aspect. Then again webcomic readers aren't particularly picky or willing to critically think so long as the stuff they read updates regularly or caters to some awful fetish of theirs.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i read clarissa just now and it strikes me as being astoundingly good at what its doing considering it seems to be made by the same guy who does weapon brown lmao

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is anybody here reading witchy?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

:stare:

I thought that art style died out with the Bush Administration...

Which one?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Tollymain posted:

is anybody here reading witchy?

I am. I thought for sure Nyneve would stick with the secret camp and tree grandma, I have no idea where she'll end up next.

PS Everybody go read Witchy.

It's a cool comic about magical idiots. A lot of importance is put on hair length since longer = more magic, but the kinda horrible kinda fascist wizard government conscripts anyone with good potential and murders anyone who doesn't step in line in a "Witch Burning" to prevent any possible revolts. The main characters dad died that way and his daughter is terrified that she'll end up the same way. She could live if she doesn't turn down the conscription but, y'know, they killed her dad.

Pros: Cool art, cooler moms, most of the other non-mom characters are pretty great too.

Cons: It's still ongoing. I dunno, I wasn't prepared for a serious critique. It's not super perfect or anything, but nothing especially stands out to me as a detractor. It's a fun read.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 13, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im surprised nyneve can glamour herself w/o hair tbh

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, it's weird. Some things are next to impossible for her now, but I guess the glamours are easier after all that practice for the past decade. She was able to put up a really good shield to deflect Io's scope a while back too. Even with her hair she had a lot of trouble with some magic, but glamours and shields were two things she was able to pull off with aplomb. I'm beginning to think a Witch's hair doesn't have as much to do with their magic as we've been told.

It's pretty interesting how a lot of the kingdom's evil deeds have to do with the control of information.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tollymain posted:

i read clarissa just now and it strikes me as being astoundingly good at what its doing considering it seems to be made by the same guy who does weapon brown lmao

lol yeah Deep Fried is edgy as fuckkk

I think he straight up forgot Weapon Brown was supposed to be a parody of dumb gritty reboots after the first installment

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 13, 2018

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

what the gently caress

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Never stopped anybody before.

Well that's all the encouragement I need to start dumping some lovely comic on my tumblr or something.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol yeah Deep Fried is edgy as fuckkk

I think he straight up forgot Weapon Brown was supposed to be a parody of dumb gritty reboots after the first installment

:stonk:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

As a trans woman, honestly I'm kind of just impressed that he actually knew the term "pre-op".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Look I read the last page or so and you bastards are not going to trick me into reading Dresden Codak again.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why would anybody in this thread do that

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

AriadneThread posted:

Cryophage posted:

"my" teeth here meaning: teeth that they own

lol

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TwoPair posted:

Look I read the last page or so and you bastards are not going to trick me into reading Dresden Codak again.

How do you feel about Goblins?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

TwoPair posted:

just read Girl Genius instead. At least the Foglios own up to hungrily objectifying the science-girl and she's probably escaped her third or fourth castle by now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Cat Mattress posted:

How do you feel about Goblins?

No lie I haven't read the bad thread in a while and I legitimately thought "huh I wonder if that awful goblin comic updated" the other day out of the blue.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nuns with Guns posted:

just read Girl Genius instead. At least the Foglios own up to hungrily objectifying the science-girl and she's probably escaped her third or fourth castle by now.

I totally ended up dropping it after the plot stalled in the family's castle. Does it still suffer from the pacing issues?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's gotten somewhat better, although it's still super uneven and alternates between meandering and rushing. The aftermath of the castle arc helped cut down on the size of the cast and amount of POV cutaways a bit.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

iospace posted:

I totally ended up dropping it after the plot stalled in the family's castle. Does it still suffer from the pacing issues?

It's hard to have pacing on something whose plot is never going to advance and whose story is never going to end until one of the Foglios dies

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
In many ways it is the platonic ideal of webcomics

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the plot's going fine for now, the biggest complaint I have at the moment is that for some reason the comic's been on pause for the last two weeks and the updates have just been promos for its upcoming card game. It's worse than those paper doll interludes.

The plot's been moving along, even if any sort of eventual conclusion is far away. It's no Sluggy Freelance.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

They change the setting pretty regularly (I think they really are on their fourth castle now), but any movement towards resolving the core storyline of "Girl Genius is the Chosen One, being chased around by everybody until she can take her throne, also her mom's the Devil or something and she's been possessed" was abandoned years ago and there aren't even like substantive B plots going on to make the various castles their own self-contained serial episodes or whatever. It's just endless faffing around in steampunk meltyface land.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

They change the setting pretty regularly (I think they really are on their fourth castle now), but any movement towards resolving the core storyline of "Girl Genius is the Chosen One, being chased around by everybody until she can take her throne, also her mom's the Devil or something and she's been possessed" was abandoned years ago and there aren't even like substantive B plots going on to make the various castles their own self-contained serial episodes or whatever. It's just endless faffing around in steampunk meltyface land.

I don't think this is really a fair criticism. GG's plot arc is reasonably well defined and in between the faffing about there's a decent amount of progress towards unraveling the core mysteries of the story. I feel like we could reasonably see the conclusion of the story within 3, maybe 4 more castles that Agatha has to escape from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Don't forget a grand finale where a castle has to escape from Agatha