Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It sounds similar to the Kendrick Johnson case, which has been mentioned a few times before. (The link is possibly :nms: as you can see a bit of Johnson's body.)

The most likely scenario with Johnson is that he, like others in Lowndes High gym classes, stuck his shoes on top or just inside of a rolled up wrestling mat (the mat standing vertically). The shoes fell inside and Johnson climbed atop the mat and then in the center of it to retrieve the shoes. Johnson became stuck and asphyxiated.

The case has unfortunately turned into a big-time mess. The police were likely incompetent in their early handling of it and Johnson's family came to believe their son was actually murdered. They've brought numerous lawsuits and several times over the past five years have protested at the courthouse and various other locations. It's completely understandable their grief, but every nearly every accusation they've had has been proven to be incorrect. It's an awful situation that may not ever totally fade away. Hopefully, they'll eventually find some peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

The article says he was in the third row bench seats. Maybe he was trying to get something from the trunk?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Found this as a link from the incest murder-suicide article: Daniel St. Hubert guilty of stabbing two kids, one fatally, in Brooklyn elevator

And I mean, it's all upsetting, but here's the part that unnerved and infuriated me in such a short article.

quote:

St. Hubert started "repeatedly stabbing" them, Mikayla testified last month, according to the station. When he stopped, she said St. Hubert ran out and she knew PJ was dead.

"His eyes were open," said Mikayla, now 11. "There was a bunch of blood on the floor."

St. Hubert's lawyer said his client was framed and called the surviving victim and witness "a pathological liar."

Howard Greenberg called Mikayla "unworthy of belief" following her testimony. On cross-examination, he tried to poke holes in the child's story, getting her to admit she tells white lies sometimes.

What a piece of poo poo. I do believe that even the worst scumbags deserve strong representation because it's important to have a high standard of evidence, but telling an 11-year-old stabbing victim to her face that she's lying about the attack that killed her friend because she tells white lies sometimes is horrific. :(

EDIT: And she was 7 when it happened, mind.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ravenkult posted:

The article says he was in the third row bench seats. Maybe he was trying to get something from the trunk?

I'm going to guess he was leaning over the 3rd row of seats and got wedged in such a way that he couldn't get enough leverage to get himself back up. That leaves him wedged upside down and is bringing back uncomfortable memories of the story of the guy who died after getting stuck upside down while squeezing though a cave tunnel.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It sounds similar to the Kendrick Johnson case, which has been mentioned a few times before. (The link is possibly :nms: as you can see a bit of Johnson's body.)

The most likely scenario with Johnson is that he, like others in Lowndes High gym classes, stuck his shoes on top or just inside of a rolled up wrestling mat (the mat standing vertically). The shoes fell inside and Johnson climbed atop the mat and then in the center of it to retrieve the shoes. Johnson became stuck and asphyxiated.

The case has unfortunately turned into a big-time mess. The police were likely incompetent in their early handling of it and Johnson's family came to believe their son was actually murdered. They've brought numerous lawsuits and several times over the past five years have protested at the courthouse and various other locations. It's completely understandable their grief, but every nearly every accusation they've had has been proven to be incorrect. It's an awful situation that may not ever totally fade away. Hopefully, they'll eventually find some peace.

The article says that the family and their lawyer lost a case for ~$300k for defamation and court fees. So might not get much peace for awhile.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

That story reminded me of the woman who died behind a bookcase. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6185854.stm

quote:

Ms Weber's parents last saw her alive in the family house on 28 October.

Unable to locate her after that, the family contacted the police, fearing she had been abducted.

Her body was eventually discovered when her sister noticed a foot protruding behind the bookcase in her bedroom.

"I'm sleeping in the same house as her for 11 days, looking for her. And she's right in the bedroom," the woman's mother, Connie Weber, told the St Petersburg Times newspaper.

The family told the newspaper they had noticed a strange smell from her room but had blamed it on rats.

They told the paper their daughter's light weight and petite frame may have contributed to her death.

"She's a little thing," her mother reportedly said. "And the bookcase is 6ft tall and solid. And she couldn't get out."

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The funeral home really hosed this one up too. Someone replaced his insides with newspapers, if I remember right.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's in the article too. The coroner threw away all the insides, so they had to fill the cavity and, probably because they were being cheap, decided to use newspapers instead of cotton or saw dust. They were found to "not have used the best choice" but were cleared of all wrong doing and the judge dropped the case against them.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's in the article too. The coroner threw away all the insides, so they had to fill the cavity and, probably because they were being cheap, decided to use newspapers instead of cotton or saw dust.

LOL, too cheap to use sawdust. "Sawdust? Do I look like I'm made of money? You know, sawdust doesn't just grow on... Well, anyway, it's expensive."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Huh, basically everything they use to stuff dead bodies grows on trees. They should have stuffed him with wrestling mats for added irony.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Huh, basically everything they use to stuff dead bodies grows on trees. They should have stuffed him with wrestling mats for added irony.

drat, lol.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

They had already fed the mats to the other students

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThhfLvR4Wo8

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Here's a thing that unnerves me: how those "find similar stories" algorithms invariably insist on showing me half a dozen other horrifying child murder story links, because one wasn't bad enough.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Minivan kid was trying to get tennis equipment out of the van, and the back seat tipped over and pinned him upside down underneath it:

http://www.fox8live.com/story/37927152/kyle-plush-teen-dies-in-van-after-calling-911-at-seven-hills-school-in-cincinnati-ohio

(Details are in the video, not the article).

More hosed up: Kid gets Siri to autodial, tells the 911 operator the make, model, and color of the minivan, and the operator doesn't tell police, who are *still at the scene*, any of that information.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

Minivan kid was trying to get tennis equipment out of the van, and the back seat tipped over and pinned him upside down underneath it:

http://www.fox8live.com/story/37927152/kyle-plush-teen-dies-in-van-after-calling-911-at-seven-hills-school-in-cincinnati-ohio

(Details are in the video, not the article).

More hosed up: Kid gets Siri to autodial, tells the 911 operator the make, model, and color of the minivan, and the operator doesn't tell police, who are *still at the scene*, any of that information.

Oh my god, I was wondering how they could have not found him, I was like "how many gold Odyssey vans could even be in one parking lot?!"

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I got to wondering if we still have any MIAs from our lengthy wars in Afghanistan, but a CNN page updated this month says this 2012 guy was the last resolved MIA (other than the POW Bergdahl who we got back in 2014 by exchanging some Taliban prisoners).

Took five years to find the body, but the USMil takes this kind of thing *extremely* seriously, and is still trying to find and repatriate old bodies in Vietnam and Korea, so I imagine this came as a huge relief.

I worked on the Altaie case and others in Baghdad 2010-11. If memory serves, one insurgent group turned in Altaie’s remains but it subsequently was established that they were the remains of someone else (a Brit, I believe). Coalition and westerner remains were a kind of weird currency/bargaining chip traded and passed from insurgent group to insurgent group, to the extent that most groups didn’t even know the provenance of the remains they held.

Glad to hear Altaie made it home.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phanatic posted:

:stonk:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
This article on a murder in Iceland is very good and unnerving

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/apr/12/the-murder-that-shook-iceland

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm more mystified now than when I thought they'd gotten caught between seats.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Phanatic posted:

Nice. And the operator didn't even vocally respond during one call, if my understanding is correct.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

EmmyOk posted:

I'm more mystified now than when I thought they'd gotten caught between seats.

The third row seats can be folded down into the body to create a larger storage area. The seats began to fold down with him on them.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

The third row seats can be folded down into the body to create a larger storage area. The seats began to fold down with him on them.

Okay I've google minivan interiors and I think I have an idea now what happened. I've never been in a minivan tbh. So he was trapped in the folding space beneath the floor basically?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

Nice. And the operator didn't even vocally respond during one call, if my understanding is correct.

I'm normally the last person to throw this line out there, but it's clear someone needs to get fired.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Pick posted:

I'm normally the last person to throw this line out there, but it's clear someone needs to get fired.

When I was security I learned that a lot of dispatchers leave very important information out when they're talking to cops going to the scene. Like "this woman robbed the bank across the street last month saying she had a bomb" and "he has a gun in his pantleg" and also "the car is bright loving neon purple."

I can't count the number of times the cops came to the scene clueless other than knowing they needed to show up.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Scathach posted:

When I was security I learned that a lot of dispatchers leave very important information out when they're talking to cops going to the scene. Like "this woman robbed the bank across the street last month saying she had a bomb" and "he has a gun in his pantleg" and also "the car is bright loving neon purple."

I can't count the number of times the cops came to the scene clueless other than knowing they needed to show up.

This is actually pretty interesting and Im curious to see how this also relates to the many shootings that have happened.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-43722714

Rape and murder of a child in India has led to rising tensions between area Muslims and Hindus.

There are some articles that I know I should read but I just can’t get through them. I quit like 1/3 through this one knowing I would get really upset

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

These terrible headlines seem appropriate

https://twitter.com/SonarJose/status/984396686058573824

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Telsa Cola posted:

This is actually pretty interesting and Im curious to see how this also relates to the many shootings that have happened.

Off the top of my head, I think there was something in the Tamir Rice case where the operator didn’t pass on that the person who called in believed the gun might be fake, though it’s debatable how much that would have changed the outcome.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

fruit on the bottom posted:

Off the top of my head, I think there was something in the Tamir Rice case where the operator didn’t pass on that the person who called in believed the gun might be fake, though it’s debatable how much that would have changed the outcome.
I'm pretty sure the operator had also been told it was a kid, and did not mention that fact.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Is this one of those thing where it’s only legally “rape” if it’s penis-in-vagina?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's reasonable not to throw around the word "rape" until it's proven. Not because he isn't allegedly a rapist, but because the news outlet doesn't want to end up in libel court if it's proven false.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Jedit posted:

It's reasonable not to throw around the word "rape" until it's proven. Not because he isn't allegedly a rapist, but because the news outlet doesn't want to end up in libel court if it's proven false.

If it wasn't a white guy with money, they'd be throwing it around with "alleged" right in front. You know they would.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

fruit on the bottom posted:

pookel posted:

I'm pretty sure the operator had also been told it was a kid, and did not mention that fact.

Neither of these things would have mattered. For one, the cop could see Tamir Rice was a child when he rolled up and shot the kid. Second, an American cop will gun down a loving toddler if the kid makes a motion toward something he might be hiding in his diaper. If it turns out later to be poop, well, the cop had legitimate reason to fear for his life.

I'm not saying dispatchers shouldn't be held responsible for being lovely at their jobs, but the problems with American cops do not originate in the dispatch room.

Jedit posted:

There is no libel if what they report is the truth. "Police say they have evidence that Person X raped Person Y," can be the truth, regardless of whether or not the person is later convicted of the crime. Also, if you're committing libel, you're not going to somehow weasel out of it by saying "forced sex," instead of "rape."

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Even if you don’t say ‘rape,’ sexual assault is also a valid term for this. They’re absolutely downplaying what he did.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I was just thinking about how “unnerving”(/lovely) it is how narrowly state laws sometimes define rape :(.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Pirate Radar posted:

I was just thinking about how “unnerving”(/lovely) it is how narrowly state laws sometimes define rape :(.

is this a case where what was done didn't constitute rape? i doubt that

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Caganer posted:

is this a case where what was done didn't constitute rape? i doubt that

Possibly, let me check on Missouri state law.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pirate Radar posted:

Possibly, let me check on Missouri state law.

So, the articles on this case don't say that there was PIV sexual intercourse. It's possible they're just omitting that. If they're not omitting it, and there simply wasn't any, then:

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/missouri-law/missouri-rape-and-sexual-assault-laws.html

He coerced her into performing oral sex on him. I'm not a lawyer but as far as I'm able to tell, what he did was not rape in the state of Missouri, it was legally sodomy in either the first or second degree.

Which is hosed up.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I'd still go with "sexual assault" there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

AlbieQuirky posted:

I'd still go with "sexual assault" there.

that term doesn't exist in english unfortunately :saddowns: