Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think everyone left has got some roots other than Sebastian (who's honestly just kind of slightly more relevant than JP last season). I mean I don't see Angela or Jenna winning, but they have a potentially good storyline or two left in them.

I don't know if there are any big obvious threats left other than Dom, though. You could target Kellyn for puzzles or Michael/Sebastian for strength, and Libby seems to be a huge social threat from the way everyone's talking (which I don't get since we've seen so little of her). Aside from that, everyone seems to be on a level playing field... which sounds good, but it's also a bit worrying since in MvG it seemed like everyone post-merge was there to play but there were only a few relevant people that mattered (David, Jay, Adam, maaaybe Ken/Hannah).

Zeke, Chris and arguably Bret were all post-merge players that season, in addition to the ones you mentioned. It'll be a good thing if this season ends up as entertaining as MvG was.

You're right that there aren't really any obvious gamebots (Chrissy) or overpowering personalities (Ben) left, but there are a handful of mild-mannered, socially-minded players who I can still see winning: Laurel, Wendell, Des, Kellyn, Libby and even Donathan, who might be a dark horse right now. Its a good mix, and I'm sure some of them will start lining up some power moves after basically an entire season of most people not wanting to be ones to stand out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i mean theres approximately one million twists currently in play so there are bound to be some upsets along the way, for better or worse. i cant see anyone coasting to an easy win at this point, even dom

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Vernacular posted:

Zeke, Chris and arguably Bret were all post-merge players that season, in addition to the ones you mentioned. It'll be a good thing if this season ends up as entertaining as MvG was.

I'd forgotten about Zeke (honestly I don't find him that good a player, especially after GC), but Chris got taken out almost immediately and Bret was barely there til F6 where everyone suddenly started saying he was a big jury threat.

Yeah it helps that there isn't an overwhelming number of 'meh' players like post-merge GC. But if a lot of the big players start to get taken out we might see some sort of weird Kellyn/Jenna/Sebastian F3 or something.

I think there's enough movers and shakers that it won't end up that way, hopefully.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The thing with Zeke and GC is that his head was a mess after Varner had outed him and he admitted himself that he was already mentally checked out of the game. I don't think he can be blamed for blowing himself up at that point.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Rarity posted:

The thing with Zeke and GC is that his head was a mess after Varner had outed him and he admitted himself that he was already mentally checked out of the game. I don't think he can be blamed for blowing himself up at that point.

He was still a bad player before that though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zeke's mistakes the second time through are similar enough to his mistakes the first time through that it seems off to blame the Varner stuff, as bad as that was. As far as excuses for Zeke go I prefer the idea that there wasn't enough time between his first and second game for him to reflect on his mistakes and not repeat them. But he did repeat them. He blew up the tribe and his game early on to take out an ally he saw as a threat. Zeke just had too much paranoia in the game and couldn't pace his game.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Chris' Ponderosa is crazy. Also this is another season where the tribe naming scene doesn't air.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm glad they're doing away with the less interesting things like that and treemail.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, stuff like that is basically only there if they're light on game. Its good that we're packed enough that we don't have time for the ceremonial stuff.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Chris made the latest episode of The Joel McHale Show Starring Joel McHale on Netflix.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

clown shoes posted:

Chris made the latest episode of The Joel McHale Show Starring Joel McHale on Netflix.

i think that's his second appearance; he also got the nod for the word 'benficiary' a while ago

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
It's been nearly a week but I finally brought myself to watch the rap.

I'm physically uncomfortable right now.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Chris for Second Chance 2

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SweetJahasus posted:

You're a stronger man than I. The cringe was just too much, man.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

SweetJahasus posted:

I'm a sadist so I watched it again.

I've seen some uncomfortable poo poo in my years watching Survivor...

Hatch's Allstar saga with Sue
NaOnka verbally abusing a handicapped woman for having a handicap
Rodney mansplaining about his "respect" for women to Lindsey
Dan Foley
The entire South Pacific season

But Chris Noble really takes the cake for making me recoil with awkward discomfort while watching an enjoyable television show. That rap is truly an abomination, and may god have mercy on the souls of the people involved in its production.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
What a bunch of fun-haters. :colbert:

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Spergatory posted:

What a bunch of fun-haters. :colbert:

I'm all for cheesy. Cheesy done well is hilarious and entertaining (The Lonely Island comes to mind), but cheesy done poorly and with diluted thoughts of grandeur is definitely not entertaining. And you can tell from every drop of exit press he's done that he takes his rapping very seriously and how dare anyone mock him.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Wendell Was Right

also calling it now: Chris will one hundred thousand percent rap at the reunion

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
You are all probably terrible hangs and I'm glad we're not friends irl. People like myself and Chris Noble are far too sauvé for you plebs. :c00lbert:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i actually like Chris a lot, i bet he'd be super duper fun to hang out with for a night on the town. he doesn't seem mean-spirited towards anybody else, he doesn't want anyone else to suffer, he just believes he is the best and everything in the universe seems to help back him up on that notion

that said, if he were to rap at me in real life i would cheerfully boo him into oblivion

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Chris definitely didn't do anything on the show that suggested he was outwardly malicious or looked down on people the way Bradley just oozed it. But at the same time he clearly has no capability to imagine that his poo poo stinks or that the world doesn't revolve around him and making friends with a narcissist probably won't end well.

To his credit I kind of want to give him the benefit of the doubt that he doesn't think he's really a good rapper. But he definitely thinks he's a hell of a showman and that everyone's laughing with him and not at him. Which is why Wendell wounded him so.

And yeah, he's absolutely rapping on the Reunion episode. I'd bet even money for Final Tribal.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
So at Ponderosa does everyone get a film crew and budget to make whatever they want like a music video?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm sure CBS/Survivor is willing to allocate resources if they think there will be a return on their investment.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Chris's interview with Hollywood Reporter

I looked it up because I still haven't seen evidence of Chris taking his rap game so seriously. Still haven't, though he does seem irate at Wendell.

Anyway, they go through the production of the dumb video and everything. He essentially got to do it because he was out first and they didn't have other people to film yet.

Also, he apparently got horrifically ill immediately afterwards, so the next couple of Ponderosas should be good for anybody who wants to watch him suffer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like I said, I don't think Chris thinks he's Kendrick. He knows the rapping is a joke. He's just putting on a show and he thinks people are marveling at THAT. And HIM.

Wendell didn't placate his ego or "laugh along" there, he just told him the thing he thought he was good at (entertaining people, not rapping) was embarrassing and he should stop. Hence the shock, outrage, and anger.

He's just the same kind of dork as Coach. He just has no idea. He thinks he's Malcolm or something.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Even as a joke the raps are loving terrible.

I've seen better flow last time I had diarrhoea.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, but Chris doesn't know that. That's the rub.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I can't wait for Chris's returner season

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Spergatory posted:

You are all probably terrible hangs and I'm glad we're not friends irl. People like myself and Chris Noble are far too sauvé for you plebs. :c00lbert:

Um excuse me it’s spelt swavay?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I found FigTails more entertaining villains than Bradley or Chris, because Figgy might actually change up her playing style if she came back. Bradley and Chris probably wouldn't.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

No more Chris please.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

No more returners please. At least for a few more seasons.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

I dunno, I want to see Jacob get another shot ASAP.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I found FigTails more entertaining villains than Bradley or Chris, because Figgy might actually change up her playing style if she came back. Bradley and Chris probably wouldn't.

Figgy is a superfan and her recent interview with Rob made me hate her less. I think she was just too young when she played, but I don't see her coming back. She fits the Natalie Tennerelli profile, and Jeff has been salivating over bringing Nat back for some reason. But if she hadn't treated her showmance like a popular kid rear end in a top hat from high school, we wouldn't even remember her name.

Taylor is lol. No. I'd take five seasons featuring Brad before that would even start to make sense.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The problem with bringing Chris back is that not only does he not have enough self awareness to change but he just wasn't a good player. You could make an argument that the only reason he lasted as long as he did was because he had never gone to Tribal. He managed to make an enemy in Week 1, tried to organize a coup in Week 3 or 4 and had his only ally go against him on it, and had no allies at all by the time he got to his first Tribal. Chris just sucks at Survivor.

And while he doesn't appear self aware enough to grow as a person he does seem aware of the general image so he'd probably just go out of his way to try and get a better edit and it would be really fake.

No more Chris Noble. He got his music video. He'll get a showcase on Finale night. He's done.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just caught up and watched the Ponderosa right up until the rap started and jesus NOPE

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
If you don't think they will at least try to bring Chris Noble back, you do not understand how tv works.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, I know he'll be in the running just as I know he'll get a showcase on Finale night.

I just have no interest in seeing him again. But I also had no interest in Coach or Phillip Shepard coming back. The one note clowns don't appeal to me beyond a short storyline.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Spergatory posted:

If you don't think they will at least try to bring Chris Noble back, you do not understand how tv works.

Production made a music video for him. They showed their cards. Wouldn't surprise me if he's #1 on the list and they fast track that season.

Unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wendell owned at that challenge.

• Locked thread