Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
If you tweet, you don't get to complain about being taken out of context. Twitter is for context-free hot takes. If your idea would require more than one tweet to express, it is too subtle or complex for Twitter.

Not defending harassers, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
As it turns out people can’t post like they do here in more publicly obvious spaces without looking really lovely

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Language was a mistake.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jimbozig posted:

If you tweet, you don't get to complain about being taken out of context. Twitter is for context-free hot takes. If your idea would require more than one tweet to express, it is too subtle or complex for Twitter.

Not defending harassers, btw.

Man, gently caress that. Twitter has threads. You don’t get to take one sentence from my post out of context to make your point.

Don’t defend idiots and assholes.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Jimbozig posted:

defending harassers, btw.

Well gently caress you then rear end in a top hat

eta this is a joke

xtal fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 13, 2018

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Real talk Nora Loreto is going to write a book about this like Zoe Quinn, and it will also be good

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jordan7hm posted:

Man, gently caress that. Twitter has threads. You don’t get to take one sentence from my post out of context to make your point.

Don’t defend idiots and assholes.

She has an average of 28 tweets a day for the last 8 years, I'm guessing she knows how the 2/3 thing works. What do you think would have happened if all 3 had been together? The context wouldn't have changed much, it would have just diluted her main sentiment a bit. But she did it, she proved that white people hate being called racists. Groundbreaking stuff. I want to know how many of you wore hockey jerseys to work today because you didn't want to look like a heartless monster

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the girl at starbucks this morning was wearing a canucks sweater and i was like 'wtf theres no way those losers made the playoffs this year'

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
"All I'm saying is maybe she was asking for it with that short skirt. She knew what she was doing."
:goonsay:

Why are you all so eager to victim-blame this woman? Why even bother wrapping it in platitudes like, "well, the abusers are wrong, but still, how dare a woman do an opinion on our internets?"

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

"All I'm saying is maybe she was asking for it with that short skirt. She knew what she was doing."
:goonsay:

Why are you all so eager to victim-blame this woman? Why even bother wrapping it in platitudes like, "well, the abusers are wrong, but still, how dare a woman do an opinion on our internets?"

I'm trying not to be cynical but I feel like you're only defending them because of their white femaleness. Maybe you should start a gofundme for them or something.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't think it excuses anyone's behavior, but it feels like people agree twitter is a lovely medium for serious or long-form discussion just about every other day of the year.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Oxyclean posted:

I don't think it excuses anyone's behavior, but it feels like people agree twitter is a lovely medium for serious or long-form discussion just about every other day of the year.

But the hockey bus, guys. Nothing is more important right now than the dead hockey bus. My kids' school is having all the kids wear sports jerseys tomorrow for the dead hockey bus boys. How some kids wearing jerseys in another province will help people who have 10 million dollars, I don't know. Why we are trying to raise awareness for this instead of ongoing issues that need more awareness, I don't know.

I'm confused as to why people are acting so weird, but it's making everyone crazy, including this thread.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I wore a team Canada jersey because it meant I got to wear casual to work that's about it

Also the CANDU reactors are goddamn brilliant and it makes me angry that we don't have a dozen more of them.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
People identify and sympathize with the victims of that bus crash because they identify with them, especially if you grew up in a small town. Pretty much every person I grew up with at one point or another got on a big rear end bus with a group of friends and classmates to go do a thing, be it a sporting event, or a cadet or scout function, or school band event or *something*. It's a tragedy that hits closer to home, with no politics attached to it, and people feel a connection to the victims and their families.

Except of course some of you bitter assholes who see a literal busload of dead kids and go 'lol whites' :rolleyes: 'lol rurals' :rolleyes: 'lol males' :rolleyes:

gently caress that and gently caress you. gently caress twitter rear end in a top hat, too.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That was "twitter rear end in a top hat"'s point, actually. But don't let that get in the way of blaming her for being harassed.

I mean yes, it's sad, but I've been unfortunately close to a number of sudden fatalities over the past little while, and even people who personally knew the deceased or actually saw it happen are less hosed up about it than random people throughout the country are for Sad Hockey Bus. We need to regain a sense of perspective about this.

More importantly, instead of just throwing money into the void, we could do things like: call for reform of the OTR trucking industry, and provide more funding to make isolated highway intersections safer. This would actually prevent incidents like this from happening again. But instead we're having an impotent, nationwide wailing and gnashing of teeth, and attacking some woman who made a decent point in a slightly insensitive way.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 13, 2018

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
I mean let's face it, the whole humboldt thing got co-opted by right wing populists really quickly (I remember seeing some conservative fb page calling for the flags to be flown at half mast for 16 days or something), and we were headed toward a "trudeau/notley/etc didn't publicly express grief well enough, unlike our boy scheer/kenney/ford" type of territory to begin with.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Can something be co-opted by the people in whose backyard it happened?

"lol whites" is a bit far but the comparison A Typical Goon made to the Quebec mosque shooting is loving stark. The orphaned/widow(er)ed victims were denied finanical support from the government because they weren't physically there getting shot at. A guy who was there and got shot a whole buncha times had to beg for renovations so his wheelchair can make it through his house and maybe get him close enough to the developmentally disabled kid he can no longer physically control, and he got what, $400k? I don't remember anyone telling me to wear a taqiyah to work that friday. A year later, faithful there say the racism against them has somehow gotten worse, although nobody's tried to murder the rest of them recently.

Yeah yeah there are lots of tragedies and it's impossible to keep up with them all, you'd burn out or go broke etc etc., and of course you're going to identify with people who are most like yourself. But {insert your own comparison here}

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 13, 2018

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Playing Oppression Olympics is stupid but you can't deny that the coverage of the Humboldt thing has been driven, in large part, by the fact that they were a boys' junior hockey team. These are young boys and men, in the prime of their lives, from a good old rural part of the country, off to play :canada: Canada's Game :canada: when they were tragically killed. It's got a lot of elements of a compelling story that resonates with our largely white, rural, hockey-loving country.

:siren: Since this is the Internet, I must disclaim that there is nothing wrong with being white, rural, male, or Canadian. You're allowed to love hockey. It's okay to feel grief over this and to feel sad. :siren: A lot of people can relate to it! I like to hope that we're all grown up enough to recognize that Loreto's point is that, had some circumstances been different, the amount of national and international coverage this is getting would be a lot different.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

She has an average of 28 tweets a day for the last 8 years, I'm guessing she knows how the 2/3 thing works. What do you think would have happened if all 3 had been together? The context wouldn't have changed much, it would have just diluted her main sentiment a bit. But she did it, she proved that white people hate being called racists. Groundbreaking stuff. I want to know how many of you wore hockey jerseys to work today because you didn't want to look like a heartless monster

Twitter does threads now, and you don't actually have to do the 2/3 thing anymore. Threading is built right into the platform. The offending tweet was the second of four in a thread that you can still see linked to each other today. The first was just commenting on the Gofundme, which was up to like $4 million by the time Loreto tweeted about it, and the third actually said she doesn't want less for these families but more for others who don't get this kind of National Grief.

https://twitter.com/NoLore/status/983160141309767684

Finally, let me leave you all with this.

https://twitter.com/SarahPalinUSA/status/984638540305879040

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

That was "twitter rear end in a top hat"'s point, actually. But don't let that get in the way of blaming her for being harassed.

I mean yes, it's sad, but I've been unfortunately close to a number of sudden fatalities over the past little while, and even people who personally knew the deceased or actually saw it happen are less hosed up about it than random people throughout the country are for Sad Hockey Bus. We need to regain a sense of perspective about this.

More importantly, instead of just throwing money into the void, we could do things like: call for reform of the OTR trucking industry, and provide more funding to make isolated highway intersections safer. This would actually prevent incidents like this from happening again. But instead we're having an impotent, nationwide wailing and gnashing of teeth, and attacking some woman who made a decent point in a slightly insensitive way.

It's way beyond harassment now. I empathize, it must be tough being a fledgling freelance journalist. You need the twitter followers and impressions to make it easy to show magazines that people care what you think. You need to be a bit spicy and controversial to spark those conversations. The controversy only raises her profile if there's equal people on both sides of the conversation though.

https://twitter.com/NoLore/status/950870452641165313

It's hard to explain the schadenfreude. It's not that she made a spicy tweet, she's just trying to make her way in capitalism, can't fault anyone for that. I feel like it's her general ideology, the divisiveness. Everything she writes divides us canadians by gender, skin color, religion and geography so it's nice to see that we can unite, prove her wrong and dislike her opinion as almost an entire country. The apology has to be coming though, probably containing the words timing and insensitive but the raw human spirit she's showing by dying on this tiny pedantic mole hill is already inspiring.

Leofish posted:

Twitter does threads now, and you don't actually have to do the 2/3 thing anymore. Threading is built right into the platform. The offending tweet was the second of four in a thread that you can still see linked to each other today. The first was just commenting on the Gofundme, which was up to like $4 million by the time Loreto tweeted about it, and the third actually said she doesn't want less for these families but more for others who don't get this kind of National Grief.

If the 3rd was what she wanted express, she would have just said that. I think the 2/3 thing is still valid because you can still link to individual tweets right? I dunno, I hate trying to read twitter even more than reddit mostly because of the endless image macros

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Postess with the Mostest posted:

If the 3rd was what she wanted express, she would have just said that. I think the 2/3 thing is still valid because you can still link to individual tweets right? I dunno, I hate trying to read twitter even more than reddit mostly because of the endless image macros

I think we can all agree Twitter is bad.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jimbozig posted:

I'm confused as to why people are acting so weird, but it's making everyone crazy, including this thread.

It's sports

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Here, let's all get angry over something else for a ch-

https://twitter.com/CTVMontreal/status/984784138396876800

:negative:

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

let’s argue for another 10 pages about the correct way for people to process horrible events based on identity politics. this is a normal thing that empathetic human beings do.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

my morning jackass posted:

let’s argue for another 10 pages about the correct way for people to process horrible events based on identity politics. this is a normal thing that empathetic human beings do.

In trying to be ironic you managed to describe the status quo of society very accurately.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Gerald Stanley's fund and the Quebec mosque shooting support campaign both raised around 230-240k* so let me laugh at you if you don't think this is about race or religion at all.

*They both claim to have closed after meeting their goals for what it's worth.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It's not "about" race or religion, they're just major factors that we'd prefer not to acknowledge*.

*Anyone who tries to get us to acknowledge these factors is going to get pilloried and by gum, they've got it coming.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Setting aside everything else, that individual tweet couldn’t have been more finely crafted to be taken out of context, intentionally or unintentionally, if she tried.

Like gimme a transitioning “and” or “but” or “if” or something at either the beginning or end.

1. Anyone who says

2. I love Nazis

3. Should be punched in the face.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 13, 2018

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Twitter idiot's mistake was tweeting it. It's not like she was the only one thinking the exact same thing. I've been sharing similar sentiments with friends, family, and coworkers all week.. you know, people who know me well enough to understand I'm not evil or trying to deligitimize whatever feelings of grief they may be experiencing.

Privilege shaming a bunch of dead teenagers was also not the most nuanced way to get the point across. I don't feel particularly bad for her. Hopefully it blows over soon and doesn't ruin her career.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Man, gently caress that (...) defend idiots and assholes.

:angel:

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 25, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Man she’s getting death threats and you guys are being real lovely about it.

If you don’t like her, stop talking about her.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

BUT PEOPLE MUST KNOW HOW UPSET I AM THAT SOMEONE DARED TO HAVE AN OPINION AND A VAGINA AT THE SAME TIME, ON THE INTERNET!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Math You posted:

Twitter idiot's mistake was tweeting it. It's not like she was the only one thinking the exact same thing. I've been sharing similar sentiments with friends, family, and coworkers all week.. you know, people who know me well enough to understand I'm not evil or trying to deligitimize whatever feelings of grief they may be experiencing.

Privilege shaming a bunch of dead teenagers was also not the most nuanced way to get the point across. I don't feel particularly bad for her. Hopefully it blows over soon and doesn't ruin her career.

It's okay that she is getting rape and death threats because are either too lazy or stupid to read 3 tweets in a row, got it.

James Baud posted:

Ruin her career? This is her moment to shine if she walks the line well (she may not have, be arsed if I'm reading twitter drama in detail). It could mean a bunch of media appearances re: sexism and harassment on social media, her Patreon campaign will be a smash hit for owning the prairie rurals, etc.

It's okay that she is getting rape and death threats because she can spin them into a lucrative career opportunity, got it.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I think she makes an interesting observation

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Jordan7hm posted:

Peterson is still a topic, that lady is an identity politics terrorist.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like it's possible to point out something was a bad move without suggesting the repercussions were deserved.

littleorv posted:

I think she makes an interesting observation

I agree, my initial impression was certainly coloured by seeing the one tweet in isolation - but even with greater context it strikes me as taking a bit of familiarity with the subject, further discussion, or a certain level of open-mindedness that's typically lacking on social media platforms like twitter?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

James Baud posted:

Ruin her career? This is her moment to shine if she walks the line well (she may not have, be arsed if I'm reading twitter drama in detail). It could mean a bunch of media appearances re: sexism and harassment on social media, her Patreon campaign will be a smash hit for owning the prairie rurals, etc.

Anyway, #HumboldtBoring, how's Trudeau gonna reassure Kinder Morgan that native and environmentalist protestors won't Oka and Wiebo the Transmountain pipeline up on such a tight deadline?
I can't wait for the unhinged takes in a month and a half when this pipeline is finally cancelled for good

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

DariusLikewise posted:

It's okay that she is getting rape and death threats because are either too lazy or stupid to read 3 tweets in a row, got it.

It's okay that she is getting rape and death threats because she can spin them into a lucrative career opportunity, got it.
Lmao chill out dude

No one's justifying the reaction. It was a dumb thing to say the way it was said, and SHOCKER posting something out in the world wide web where any idiot can read it and get offended has consequences.

Violence or threats of it are never acceptable. You can be critical of someone without joining the lynch mob.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
So... you don't even disagree with her opinion, you just dislike that she had the temerity to express it in a public forum?

:decorum:

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

infernal machines posted:

So... you don't even disagree with her opinion, you just dislike that she had the temerity to express it in a public forum?

I 100 percent agree with her opinion*. It was 100 percent a stupid idea to post it on the internet the way that she did.

She could have said the same thing at least a few different ways without so openly privilege shaming a bunch of dead kids using words like whiteness and maleness.
Dumb white people are triggered by poo poo like this and it doesn't hurt to speak in a more palatable fashion for a wider audience when it is such a touchy subject.

Edit: Heaven forbid speaking in a way that might actually convince people about your argument, if it makes your tweets less edgy or woke.

*I actually do kind of disagree with the maleness part. If it were a bus full of young women I don't think that would have lessoned the over reaction in Canada..

Math You fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 13, 2018