Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Thats what I am doing

No you're not dude, you're just saying "the politics of this book are bad" which everyone already agrees with. You need to demonstrate that enjoying a scene of guys mowing down chupacabras with CAWSes will inevitably turn you into a Proud Boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Clipperton posted:

No you're not dude, you're just saying "the politics of this book are bad" which everyone already agrees with. You need to demonstrate that enjoying a scene of guys mowing down chupacabras with CAWSes will inevitably turn you into a Proud Boy.

Excuse me

I may not know much about guns but I googled what a CAWS is and found out that it's made by H&K

That means it's bad because Correia taught me that H&K is bad

praise gun jesus, the mulcher of wrights and human noses

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Clipperton posted:

You need to demonstrate that enjoying a scene of guys mowing down chupacabras with CAWSes will inevitably turn you into a Proud Boy.

That is a rather profound misunderstanding of the argument

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Renegret posted:

Excuse me

I may not know much about guns but I googled what a CAWS is and found out that it's made by H&K

Correia is actually a Saiga fanboy.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

chitoryu12 posted:

I am too, apparently!

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A dangerous attempt to normalize fascism in a treatise on a toxic world view.

Because it's not. If Correia's multiple rants on why message fiction sucks and is bad during the sad puppies debacle, and talking about how his own books didn't have messaging in them (until Black Sword), then I'm not sure what more you need. Maybe we can thrown in that Correia hated Trump and didn't vote for the guy because he was a "thin-skinned authoritarian", his politics based off the 2016 election posts also did not line up with the alt-right, or fascism. But continue to read into a novel that was written to justify the killing of monsters with lots of guns. But even then, his politics even in this book are pretty clearly leaning on the conservative/libertarian/ancap side of the equation which was hard opposed to the alt-right, that and the politics are taken as default assumption because he was writing this for a group of people who believed these things already, and it comes off to everyone as over the top in terms of it's presentation.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Renegret posted:

I am too, apparently!
Welp I guess I am too. Wanna pet that. :3:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Because it's not. If Correia's multiple rants on why message fiction sucks and is bad during the sad puppies debacle, and talking about how his own books didn't have messaging in them (until Black Sword), then I'm not sure what more you need.

All fiction is message fiction. If you believe you are not writing message fiction, you write in a state of near total ignorance.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

Considering Pitt is a Mary Sue self-insert, I'm wondering if Julie is based on an irl woman...

Prolly Mrs. Larry, truthfully.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

See, I told you he is scum. Everyone knows you root for Neintando

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm gonna go to a rental range down in Kissimmee and shoot their silenced USP just to give the finger to Correia.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That is a rather profound misunderstanding of the argument

In what way is the novel Monster Hunter International by noted not-working-out enthusiast Larry Correia "dangerous"

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Forgive me if this has been covered already, but didn't Larry Correia start the Sad Puppies movement, aka the alt-right of science fiction literature?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Because it's not. If Correia's multiple rants on why message fiction sucks and is bad during the sad puppies debacle, and talking about how his own books didn't have messaging in them

All fiction is message fiction. Every work conveys a worldview, either explicit or implicit. "Message fiction" is a term people use to describe works whose worldviews they disagree with.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Clipperton posted:

In what way is the novel Monster Hunter International by noted not-working-out enthusiast Larry Correia "dangerous"

each page is covered in a deadly poison!!!!

Seriously though, it seeks to normalize extremist viewpoints about violence and ethics by masquerading a deeply toxic world view in a facade of "dumb" fun. He's not the only one to do, its quite ubiquitous, but that doesn't mean I am not gonna call it out in the thread for calling it out. Media influences our view of the world and our understanding of the ranges of acceptable reality. This book, and series, acts as an attempt to shift that perspective towards fascism.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Despite how antagonistic Harbringer is to the government, the government suppressing any knowledge of monsters means he has quite a cozy relationship with it. It means no competitors.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This book, and series, acts as an attempt to shift that perspective towards fascism.

even, it should be noted, if that wasn't Correia's intent. it doesn't matter whether he meant for the book to normalize fascism; what matters is that it normalizes fascism

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

even, it should be noted, if that wasn't Correia's intent. it doesn't matter whether he meant for the book to normalize fascism; what matters is that it normalizes fascism

exactly.

Correia's pretense of his writing being apolitical simply highlights that Correia is a deeply uncritical person

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Renegret posted:

Excuse me

Dude. Do NOT bring Ian into this. He is way cool for a gun dude.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Let's be real here a book about Ian and Karl fighting wights and vampires with whatever's on sale at James Julia this month would be hella rad.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sperglord Actual posted:

Let's be real here a book about Ian and Karl fighting wights and vampires with whatever's on sale at James Julia this month would be hella rad.

Write this before you finish Shark Puncher.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

each page is covered in a deadly poison!!!!

Seriously though, it seeks to normalize extremist viewpoints about violence and ethics by masquerading a deeply toxic world view in a facade of "dumb" fun. He's not the only one to do, its quite ubiquitous, but that doesn't mean I am not gonna call it out in the thread for calling it out. Media influences our view of the world and our understanding of the ranges of acceptable reality. This book, and series, acts as an attempt to shift that perspective towards fascism.

I'm just saying, I don't think it makes sense to read the work of the leader of a political movement (as irrelevant as that movement might be) apolitically.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

pospysyl posted:

I'm just saying, I don't think it makes sense to read the work of the leader of a political movement (as irrelevant as that movement might be) apolitically.

I absolutely agree

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, though, I do remember the Sad Puppies thing getting pretty dark. Whole bunch of death and rape threats, several of them credible. Probably worth considering if and how that tied into the messaging of the fiction they were promoting.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

"Seeks to" is doing a lot of work here. Correia might be trying to "influence our view of the world" but judging by this thread he's batting .000 among everyone who didn't share his view of the world in the first place. Doesn't mean his politics shouldn't be called out, but again, almost everyone itt has been calling them out right along with you.

What you seem to find objectionable is the idea that you can realize that Correia's politics are dogshit and still enjoy his action scenes, which, given that a bunch of posters itt are doing exactly that, seems tenuous.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

What I am suggesting is that there is no way to enjoy the action scenes without implicitly buying into the morality of the text. You cannot separate the action from the ethos that justifies it.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
If the sharks eat the wight and ghoul meat in the water does it paralyze them?

if so then I think that means shooting vampires on a boat is racist against sharks

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What I am suggesting is that there is no way to enjoy the action scenes without implicitly buying into the morality of the text. You cannot separate the action from the ethos that justifies it.

Huh. I don't see how this is the case for anyone who's even slightly critical and self-aware. I'd say it's possible to consume problematic media and even derive some enjoyment without condoning the core or the message.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Anyone who ever enjoyed the Cthulhu Mythos is a racist, got it.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Everyone is racist, all the time, and if you deny it you are clearly covering up for racism & problematic fiction.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Is it immoral just to consume media that potentially showcases immoral views, or is it also immoral to consume media produced by immoral people regardless of the content?

And if the latter, what level of immorality is permissible in the author?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Is it immoral just to consume media that potentially showcases immoral views, or is it also immoral to consume media produced by immoral people regardless of the content?

And if the latter, what level of immorality is permissible in the author?

Neither is my point.

It is not the morality of consuming the piece as much as the issue of believing one can enjoy an unethical piece of art while not conceding to the premise that makes it unethical.

It is like saying you can enjoy the action scenes in Birth of a Nation without necessarily believing all that white supremacy stuff. On a narrative level enjoyment requires engagement. If you are not engaged with a story, how can you enjoy it? And if the rules of that engagement are to sympathize with the Klan lynching and terrorizing blacks and creating the dawn of modern white supremacy, how could it not be unethical to enjoy it?

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 13, 2018

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Killing vampires? Literally Hitler.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

sky shark posted:

Killing vampires? Literally Hitler.

What if hitler was a vampire? is it still racist to shoot him

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Neither is my point.

It is not the morality of consuming the piece as much as the issue of believing one can enjoy an unethical piece of art while not conceding to the premise that makes it unethical.

It is like saying you can enjoy the action scenes in Birth of a Nation without necessarily believing all that white supremacy stuff. On a narrative level enjoyment requires engagement. If you are not engaged with a story, how can you enjoy it? And if the rules of that engagement are to sympathize with the Klan lynching and terrorizing blacks and creating the dawn of modern white supremacy, how could it not be unethical to enjoy it?

If the book had none of these messages, would Correia personally believing in such things mean the reader is conceding to these beliefs by financially supporting him?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

If the book had none of these messages, would Correia personally believing in such things mean the reader is conceding to these beliefs by financially supporting him?

Of course not, notice my critique is of the text foremost. The author is ultimately irrelevant.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
it would be helpful to stop talking about "messages" like they're encoded missives hidden inside the book by the author. it's not that the book has a fascist "message," it's that its entire premise is predicated upon protofascist right-to-power ideology

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

it would be helpful to stop talking about "messages" like they're encoded missives hidden inside the book by the author. it's not that the book has a fascist "message," it's that its entire premise is predicated upon protofascist right-to-power ideology

Well said

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
like the quote about how his books don't have any "messages" in them bespeaks a total lack of understanding (on his part) of how books, writing, or reading work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sperglord Actual posted:

Anyone who ever enjoyed the Cthulhu Mythos is a racist, got it.

how can you appreciate the horror in Arthur Jermyn without conceding something to Lovecraft's fear of miscegenation?

• Locked thread