Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I feel like you can just replace 'RoH' with 'any independent show' in that first tweet without altering the dynamic in play here.

(Does anybody else just not have the heart to tell Cody he's dooming himself for failure?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I don't really agree because no one would give a single gently caress about roh if it weren't attached to njpw and it would be basically a rank above chikara. An indie supershow with the champion of the number 2 promotion in the world can probably draw 10k. A show with beer city bruiser and silas young would probably not

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I think the argument is useless and pedantic but you kind of prove Dave's point if you have to pull together a literal non-WWE All-Star show to sell 10k tickets.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Your Parents posted:

I don't really agree because no one would give a single gently caress about roh if it weren't attached to njpw and it would be basically a rank above chikara. An indie supershow with the champion of the number 2 promotion in the world can probably draw 10k. A show with beer city bruiser and silas young would probably not

I like Beer City Bruiser in Fire Pro, the edit I have of him does this hilarious stiff chokeslam where he yells "WEEEEE" before slamming the recipient

cams
Mar 28, 2003

dave thought it was a bad idea for njpw to try and fill a 4500 seat venue two weeks before wrestlemania because they wouldn't sell out

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WWE can pack a 10k venue on the brand name alone. All In is going to struggle doing the same unless they have a compelling card that even the average lookielou would be willing to put money on. Max cap on regular touring shows are around 2k for indies. So if they hit the right town, the right time and the right price, they're a fifth of the way there. Okada vs Rock would get them filled but that's a fantasy until Rock says otherwise.They need to announce actual matches soon so wrestlers can start cutting promos and rallying fans.

I'll just leave this
https://twitter.com/ISDub/status/984087171723390976

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

ROH just did a 6000 seat sell-out with a forgettable show headlined by Marty Scurll vs Dalton Castle. It's not going to take The Rock to top that with an show hyped for a year as The Biggest Indie Event Ever. People like big events.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Explosions posted:

ROH just did a 6000 seat sell-out with a forgettable show headlined by Marty Scurll vs Dalton Castle. It's not going to take The Rock to top that with an show hyped for a year as The Biggest Indie Event Ever. People like big events.

To be fair that was WM weekend and despite ROH being dumb and putting Scurll/Castle on last, the draw was Rhodes/Omega

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair that was WM weekend and despite ROH being dumb and putting Scurll/Castle on last, the draw was Rhodes/Omega

all of the big draws on scoh except for tanahashi (maybe?) will already be at all in, and it won't be competing with a big nxt show

(unless the fed decides to counterpromote out of spite, which is certainly within the realm of possibility)

but it would probably make sense for them to add at least a couple more lucha guys to better appeal to that market

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I assume that Hangman v Joey Ryan will be a given for All In at some point.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Largely unrelated to the tangent but I'm pretty excited that Highspots gave Dan Barry and Excalibur an interview show! Apparently they interviewed Mikey Whipwreck, David Starr, Jimmy Havoc and Flash Morgan Webster WM weekend.

I get entirely too much joy out of the interview shows on Highspots, largely because they're not nearly as Wikipedia-tastic as regular shoots...they'll have weird fun tangents and it's less "who are you and why would we care" and more "what do wrestlers behave like when out of character?"

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 12, 2018

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
someday i'm gonna actually subscribe to highspots and just binge all of the best friends/officer+gentlemen/excalibur interviews, i've never seen a full one except for the infamous teddy hart episode

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Grozz Nuy posted:

someday i'm gonna actually subscribe to highspots and just binge all of the best friends/officer+gentlemen/excalibur interviews, i've never seen a full one except for the infamous teddy hart episode

Highspots is worth it just for the interviews, all the wrestling is a bonus

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Grozz Nuy posted:

I highly recommend it. WM weekend and the interviews alone are worth it. Plus if you're like me and isolated from all the great U.S. indy wrestling (I live in Northwest Ontario), you can still support it this way.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Grozz Nuy posted:

This is just a clip but the payoff is 90 seconds in gets me every time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLo7tSo8LPI

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tomorrow

AAW Heavyweight Championship Match
ACH vs. Rey Fenix

AAW Tag Team Championship Match
Besties in the World vs. OI4k

PENTA EL 0M vs. Teddy Hart

Eddie Kingston vs. Joey Janela

MJF vs. Ace Romero

Jessicka Havok/Su Yung vs. Tenille Dashwood/Hudson Envy

Keith Lee/Dezmond Xavier/Zachary Wentz v. David Starr/Jeff Cobb/Trevor Lee

#1 Contender's Match for the AAW Tag Team Championships
LADDER WARFARE
Trey Miguel/Stephen Wolf vs. AR Fox/Myron Reed vs. Curt Stallion/Jake Something

Plus:
Kimber Lee
Sami Callihan
DJZ

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

I feel like you can just replace 'RoH' with 'any independent show' in that first tweet without altering the dynamic in play here.

(Does anybody else just not have the heart to tell Cody he's dooming himself for failure?)

they're gonna do it

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
They'll sell out All In easily. They've had so much time to hype the show and Cody is a good draw. Plus, everyone wants this to succeed, so wrestlers will make themselves available to put on an awesome show and fans will travel and buy tickets to said awesome show.

Cody has built up a ton of good will since leaving WWE.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

There are also other Indy gigs in the area that weekend, so people are going to be around. AAW is having shows both Thursday and Friday in the buildup. (Speaking of which, where is my bill for my Friday ticket, AAW!)

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

All In is the type of worker owned enterprise the rest of the country should be and if you’re not hoping for it’s success you’re probably a cop

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I finally was able to get to Riddle vs Suzuki at Bloodsport, and man I have to say I really loved that match. They both kept it super interesting, and you can tell Riddle was super pumped to be doing this style of match with a legend like Suzuki.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
did Meltzer rate PCO-Walter?

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
MLW continues bringing in people, Colonel Rob Parker is gonna upgrade his "Stud Stable" from a fat blondes tag called The Dirty Blondes with (yes he was billed like this by Parker) "Bellator fighter" Jake Haeger. Pentagon beat Fenix to be the number one contender to the newly made title belt, which Shane Strickland won in a very very good match with Matt Riddle, great near falls that the whole crowd bought. Rest of the show was a mixed bag, decent number of angles, Sami Callihan and MVP are two of my least favorite guys on the roster and had a somewhat good brawl.

They really need to bring in some women, especially with TV being a thing now. Santana Garrett is literally their only consistent month to month woman; I don't think a single other woman has wrestled full matches even twice, and while Santana is a fine worker she's not great to the point that she can carry the various girls she's been working with who are still in school and have no national, let alone worldwide, exposure. For how big the promotion has gotten in such a short time, they could surely bring in some of the Brits and Oceanic women. Also, I think ACH is being criminally wasted. He worked two matches, one with Gotch and then later one with Lawlor, and they were both good but ACH is one of the better flyers I've seen in the States and he doesn't really do anything spectacular on these shows.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

MLW continues bringing in people, Colonel Rob Parker is gonna upgrade his "Stud Stable" from a fat blondes tag called The Dirty Blondes with (yes he was billed like this by Parker) "Bellator fighter" Jake Haeger.

Okay this is the best gimmick ever.

The only way it could be better is if it were RIZIN fighter Jake Haeger.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
He also said that if we stupid fans in the audience didn't know what a bellator fighter was, he'd tell us with three words: danger, danger, danger! He then laughed his awesome laugh.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

All In is the type of worker owned enterprise the rest of the country should be and if you’re not hoping for it’s success you’re probably a cop

Yup. I hope it sells out and the show is fun.

https://twitter.com/BCWwrestling/status/984863548546396166?s=20

It might be worth keeping an eye on this promotion. There's a good amount of money behind it. Its being run by a clothing company that's affiliated with Rollins, Paige, Aleister, and Scurll.

Obviously those names can't wrestle there(maybe Scurll I suppose) but they could potentially have some good cards.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Doublepost to say that I appreciate AAW's poster game

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

trevor lee is out with an injury apparently

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

schweens posted:

Yup. I hope it sells out and the show is fun.

https://twitter.com/BCWwrestling/status/984863548546396166?s=20

It might be worth keeping an eye on this promotion. There's a good amount of money behind it. Its being run by a clothing company that's affiliated with Rollins, Paige, Aleister, and Scurll.

Obviously those names can't wrestle there(maybe Scurll I suppose) but they could potentially have some good cards.

The company is owned by Rosa Mendes’ husband.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

They provide clothing for Hot Topic and I'm gonna guess the BC shirt sales helped inspire this. I wonder what the promotion run by an occult clothing company is gonna look like. Think we're gonna get fully goth wrestling or by the numbers indie?

e: I noticed them on Twitter recently because a lot of west coast wrestlers liked a tweet asking for west coast wrestlers to apply. I'm surprised their first show is in Pittsburgh.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
If they don’t book Harlow O’Hara, Angelus Layne, and Isla Dawn, they’re fuckin’ up

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIpyx5YbcV0

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

EugeneJ posted:

did Meltzer rate PCO-Walter?

He didn't formally review most of the weekend shows that he didn't go to, but he said that it was about a 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 star match from feedback he had received.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Boco_T posted:

If they don’t book Harlow O’Hara, Angelus Layne, and Isla Dawn, they’re fuckin’ up

Lets get Darby Allin in there too

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
And about 1/3 of Insane Championship Wrestling's roster, lot of gothic and satanic gimmicks there I tell ya

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Boco_T posted:

throw in Jessicka Havok and you got a pretty cool tag

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I hope Walter forces David Starr into retirement before Quackenbush

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Does anyone know where I can find a copy of PWG One Hundred DVD from 2009? It's not in stock on their site and I don't feel like spending $50 for it on ebay. I really want the entire Daniel Bryan vs Kenny Omega match (youtube just has short highlights without a finish) to show to some friends but I can't find the full match anywhere.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

HighSpots has a video download for $8 http://www.highspots.com/p/VD_pwg_100.html that's very likely the cheapest way to own it. The DVD looks like it's unavailable everywhere else but eBay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Oh sweet. Didn't know they do that. Thanks very much!