Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

GobiasIndustries posted:

So it looks like a combination of The Axe for Hammer and Axe stuff (if I can get it to drop) and then one of the Pillar Pickaxes for mining then. Cool, ty!

That is the opposite of what they just advised you, lol

Good luck! Hope you have fishing crates!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dumb Lowtax posted:

That is the opposite of what they just advised you, lol

I looked through all the top gear and all the best hammers are also axes, so I selected the best one of those, and then the best pickaxe. Plus I just looked and the wiki says that the luminite pickaxes are best pared with The Axe or their luminite hamaxe counterparts so...it made sense to me at least, got rid of my mishmash of equipment for some real nice stuff :shrug:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

I looked through all the top gear and all the best hammers are also axes, so I selected the best one of those, and then the best pickaxe. Plus I just looked and the wiki says that the luminite pickaxes are best pared with The Axe or their luminite hamaxe counterparts so...it made sense to me at least, got rid of my mishmash of equipment for some real nice stuff :shrug:
What people are recommending is "don't carry a hammer all the time". A hamaxe can in fact be annoying if you're trying to cut down trees.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
:shrug: I've been going around with the top-end hamaxe/pickaxe combo for a bit now digging out extra space to renovate my lovely home base and it's been working great so far.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
In other news, finally beat Betsy, the last challenge I had for non-Expert mode. Summoner class made it comically easy, I only healed once at the end and if I'd brought a gun w/ chlorophite bullets it would have been even easier to just dodge around her.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Somehow I beat all the bosses in this game and crafted relatively large bases and I had yet to lay a single wire. Well that changed today and :stare: awesome. so far it's just a couple transporters and some actuators to open up my treasure vaults but now I have real motivation to craft a pirate ship in the ocean and turn the tiny Angler's shack I made into a nice ocean-side property because I can get there instantly. Instead of having all the NPC's congregated in one place I'm gonna space them out across the world in clusters. I'm so excited to world build :unsmith:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Somehow I beat all the bosses in this game and crafted relatively large bases and I had yet to lay a single wire. Well that changed today and :stare: awesome. so far it's just a couple transporters and some actuators to open up my treasure vaults but now I have real motivation to craft a pirate ship in the ocean and turn the tiny Angler's shack I made into a nice ocean-side property because I can get there instantly. Instead of having all the NPC's congregated in one place I'm gonna space them out across the world in clusters. I'm so excited to world build :unsmith:
At some point I usually replace the doors in and out of my housing complex with actuator-ed walls linked to "only activated by the player" pressure plates. Both more secure from enemies trying to get in, and faster to get in and out myself!

I also use actuators to harvest my glowing mushroom farm. Just layers of mud every other block with mushroom grass on it, actuated. Flip it off and all the mushrooms fall down! Pick them up and flip it back on for more to grow.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Zereth posted:

At some point I usually replace the doors in and out of my housing complex with actuator-ed walls linked to "only activated by the player" pressure plates. Both more secure from enemies trying to get in, and faster to get in and out myself!

I also use actuators to harvest my glowing mushroom farm. Just layers of mud every other block with mushroom grass on it, actuated. Flip it off and all the mushrooms fall down! Pick them up and flip it back on for more to grow.

I don't know if it has something to do with the mod list I'm using, but I've noticed that mushrooms will still grow even on actuated walls; they immediately fall down after growing.

This game is still tons of fun. I put together a new mod list a week ago and I've somehow sunk over 40 more hours into a large expert world since then. I'm still working on getting all the mob farms and fishing areas I'll need before killing the WoF... probably will advance into hardmode after I fish a few dozen more gold/jungle/etc crates so I can rush the early hm bars asap.

Using Alchemistnpc, betterbuffs, bosschecklist, calamity, fargowiltas, fishing2.0, GRealm, imksushis, MagicStorage (holy gently caress this mod is amazing, AE2 for Terraria), MaxStackPlus (9999 stack cap, it's awesome), OmniSwing (auto wood bow without wearing my finger out? yes please), Recipebrowser, simpleautochests, spiritmod, thorium, veinminer, weaponout, and XItemstats.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Are those all QoL mods? If not can you differentiate?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Is there any known way to get terraria to use more than 4 gigs of ram? Id really like to make a large world with all the mods im running but it runs out of memory every time.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I have a bunch of mods now.

I can't tell: does Terracustom work with tmodloader 10.1.2?

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

crestfallen posted:

I have a bunch of mods now.

I can't tell: does Terracustom work with tmodloader 10.1.2?

The answer, at least for my set of mods, is yes, it’s compatible.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
Remind me, does creating a town in the sky layer deactivate wyverns spawning? I know they used to spawn whenever they drat felt like it, just wondering if something changed so I can build an awesome sky castle and not have my NPCs constantly dying when I mirror home.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hyedum posted:

Remind me, does creating a town in the sky layer deactivate wyverns spawning? I know they used to spawn whenever they drat felt like it, just wondering if something changed so I can build an awesome sky castle and not have my NPCs constantly dying when I mirror home.

Enemies can't spawn in front of player placed walls. Make your castle a screen bigger on all sides than your npc quarters and you should have no problems. With enough npcs the spawn rate should be negligible but it never hurts to be careful.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think wyverns and other sky enemies can spawn off the top of where the map stops scrolling, though. I don't think you can build up there even with the auto-cursor.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

I think wyverns and other sky enemies can spawn off the top of where the map stops scrolling, though. I don't think you can build up there even with the auto-cursor.

Hence the screen or so of buffer on all sides.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh, right. :doh:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

dis astranagant posted:

Enemies can't spawn in front of player placed walls. Make your castle a screen bigger on all sides than your npc quarters and you should have no problems. With enough npcs the spawn rate should be negligible but it never hurts to be careful.

So if I have a block apartment for my npcs, putting a 6 or so high wall on top will prevent mobs from spawning there during a goblin invasion? Or do invasions override the normal rules?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ambaire posted:

So if I have a block apartment for my npcs, putting a 6 or so high wall on top will prevent mobs from spawning there during a goblin invasion? Or do invasions override the normal rules?

Even during invasions, mobs can't spawn onscreen nor in front of background walls placed by any player. Sorcerers can still teleport in

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Sorcerers are like loving cockroaches geezus.

Static!
Jul 17, 2007

Hold on, I'm watching this...
Are there any Goon hosted servers or discord groups these days? I'm a few weeks into the game for the first time and I'm pretty addicted so I'd love some more people to play with

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is there a mod that makes crafting bearable when you've got one of the big mods enabled? The whole single scrollable column on the left is just painful. I'm hoping there is something that maybe gives me a full grid or anything better than what is there.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

nessin posted:

Is there a mod that makes crafting bearable when you've got one of the big mods enabled? The whole single scrollable column on the left is just painful. I'm hoping there is something that maybe gives me a full grid or anything better than what is there.

Magic Storage gives you a searchable crafting interface.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I forgot how tough / slow it can be starting out. I mean, I did make a custom map with some more chests, ore, etc. but it takes a while to pick up when you play for maybe 30-60 mins at a time.

Super fun though.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

crestfallen posted:

I forgot how tough / slow it can be starting out. I mean, I did make a custom map with some more chests, ore, etc. but it takes a while to pick up when you play for maybe 30-60 mins at a time.

Super fun though.

Recently I did a play through where I forced myself to follow a more "vanilla" progression and it was a lot of fun. Usually I just grab some bombs and make a beeline for hearts/orbs, and then use the gun to poke around in the jungle, but it was nice going back to the roots so to speak.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Recently I did a play through where I forced myself to follow a more "vanilla" progression and it was a lot of fun. Usually I just grab some bombs and make a beeline for hearts/orbs, and then use the gun to poke around in the jungle, but it was nice going back to the roots so to speak.
I’ve been away long enough and you’re sorta describing what I’m doing.

What’s the typical “starting out” look more like these days? Just curious.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I don't know if there's a typical start but as I said for me it's usually get a gun and then go immediately to the Jungle, you can usually get kitted out pretty good. Then you can kill Eater\Brain a few times and be the god of pre-hardmode.

This is a lot harder to pull of on expert worlds though.

Edit: On corruption worlds I go straight for Eater, a wooden bow and some Jester arrows is enough.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

nessin posted:

The stock crafting interface has a button you can click that turns it into a grid.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

nessin posted:

Click the hammer icon and it'll display in a grid. It's a vanilla feature.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I don't know if there's a typical start but as I said for me it's usually get a gun and then go immediately to the Jungle, you can usually get kitted out pretty good. Then you can kill Eater\Brain a few times and be the god of pre-hardmode.

This is a lot harder to pull of on expert worlds though.

Edit: On corruption worlds I go straight for Eater, a wooden bow and some Jester arrows is enough.

Alternatively, do enough spelunking to find some bombs and then pop a heart/orb. Blast the resulting meteorite with explosives and make the space equipment. Full set of space armor gives the space gun 0 MP cost.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Haven't played this in ages, didn't realize moding had taken off so much.

Is there any mod to throw in that adds structures/ruins/mini-dungeons into the world gen? Sort of like how you'll sometimes find little houses underground. I enjoy finding something that isn't endless procedural caverns.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Alternatively, do enough spelunking to find some bombs and then pop a heart/orb. Blast the resulting meteorite with explosives and make the space equipment. Full set of space armor gives the space gun 0 MP cost.
I totally forgot about doing this. I have the demolitionist so I can just buy bombs, etc.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

Haven't played this in ages, didn't realize moding had taken off so much.

Is there any mod to throw in that adds structures/ruins/mini-dungeons into the world gen? Sort of like how you'll sometimes find little houses underground. I enjoy finding something that isn't endless procedural caverns.

JereTheJuggler's Custom Generation adds some things. The extra biomes in the big do everything mods tend to have a lot more structure to them than the base game ones (Thorium, Spirit, Calamity, etc)

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 27, 2018

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Does TEdit still work to cut and paste map segments (a house in my case) or is there a better option to get a nice looking house into a map without manually rebuilding it constantly?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

nessin posted:

Does TEdit still work to cut and paste map segments (a house in my case) or is there a better option to get a nice looking house into a map without manually rebuilding it constantly?

It works last I checked.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Are there any mods that add items/placeables that auto pick up drops and put them in the nearest chest? I got this lovely cavern farm going and thanks to Luiafk's Ultimate Battler I can have up to 170 enemies onscreen at once but thanks to how fast I'm killing them, I either have to autotrash the stuff I don't want and/or do frequent 'deposit items to chests' every 10-15 seconds.

This was partly done in pursuit of a set of mining gear for Fargo's mutant miner enchantment...

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Ambaire posted:

Are there any mods that add items/placeables that auto pick up drops and put them in the nearest chest? I got this lovely cavern farm going and thanks to Luiafk's Ultimate Battler I can have up to 170 enemies onscreen at once but thanks to how fast I'm killing them, I either have to autotrash the stuff I don't want and/or do frequent 'deposit items to chests' every 10-15 seconds.

This was partly done in pursuit of a set of mining gear for Fargo's mutant miner enchantment...

The "Bags of Holding" mod gives you craftable bags that are equipped as accessories. They'll automatically store different items depending on the bag, topping off with the "True Omni Bag" that holds everything that is stackable. To empty it, set it on your bar and use it like any other item and it'll drop everything on the ground, or if you use it on a chest, into that chest (or the Magic Storage Interface Node). It's not exactly what you're looking for but it's the best I've found for that problem.

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/bags-of-holding.55642/

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/this-is-the-end-otherworld-development-cancelled.68594/

Otherworld is dead. 1.3.6 is still in development.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I am unsurprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Good, their partner company can focus on Mobile/console now and maybe my phone app will get updated before the sun explodes to let me see the Moon Lord