Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What if he was borrowing against an airplane and investing in a treadmill company?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Once you've fully paid off the loan, the investment will be worth $5470.26. If you never took it in the first place, it would be worth 5567.44. That particular nugget of financial literacy is worth $97.18.

The issue here is you are still not accounting for how the borrowings loan are being paid for. Either this person has to use principal from his 3% loan to pay off the principal/interest payment from the 4% loan. Thus at the end of period 1 he will only have $4,865 growing at 3% (5000+12.5-147.62).

Or he has a separate stash of $5,314 he is using to pay off his 4% loan and not investing for some reason.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What if he was borrowing against an airplane and investing in a treadmill company?

GWM. Planes are the horses of the transportation world, and exercice equipment / cloth dryers are always in demand.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Primetime posted:

The issue here is you are still not accounting for how the borrowings loan are being paid for. Either this person has to use principal from his 3% loan to pay off the principal/interest payment from the 4% loan. Thus at the end of period 1 he will only have $4,865 growing at 3% (5000+12.5-147.62).

Or he has a separate stash of $5,314 he is using to pay off his 4% loan and not investing for some reason.

Yes I am. The model I'm using compares injecting $147.62 each month into either a (Loan + Investment) system or a simple (Investment) system for 36 months.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Yes I am. The model I'm using compares injecting $147.62 each month into either a (Loan + Investment) system or a simple (Investment) system for 36 months.

Right, but in column D his investment keeps compounding. Except you also show a monthly payment of ~$148. How is the person paying for this ~$148?

Either you have to take the money out of the investment which would lower his compounding interest going forward. Or he has more cash elsewhere he is using to pay for this which makes even less sense.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man, this is some "what color is the dress" poo poo but the conversation started as "the dress is made of poop, look at the gross poop dress"

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Are you retarded? 

Maybe you should look at a calander, I didn't double count sunday, my two weeks started and ended on sunday, exactly 14 days.

What don't you understand? 

EDIT - Here is a Calender, I made little dots for each day so you could comprehend

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Dillbag posted:

Are you retarded? 

Maybe you should look at a calander, I didn't double count sunday, my two weeks started and ended on sunday, exactly 14 days.

What don't you understand? 

EDIT - Here is a Calender, I made little dots for each day so you could comprehend

I work out every other day for 2 weeks and get 10 workouts in

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Take a look your spreadsheet, line 11: you're paying $12.69 in interest but earning $12.78.

My entire post was basically: every spreadsheet will have this crossover, so long as you're paying principal each month. So thanks for the example demonstrating my point.

Edit: basically, the dude was like, "this weird thing happens" and I'm pointing out it's not a "weird thing," as it will literally always happen.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 13, 2018

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
I know it's been 382 pages, but holy poo poo there's a lot of people who can't money

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
OMG can we please just debate whether 100k is rich.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

OMG can we please just debate whether 100k is rich.

What’s there to debate? Facts are facts.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Dustoph posted:

What’s there to debate? Facts are facts.

Denomination. 100k dollars, bitcoins, avocados or bridesmaids dresses.

100k bitcoins = guillotine.

100k avocados = cool.

100k bridesmaids dresses = mass murder/suicide.

100k dollars = Corvette then guillotine.

What we're arguing is that taking out the loan is stupid, because if you just put the money you would put into loan payments into the investment directly, you'd end up better.

Oh, we aren't arguing this either; it's definitely stupid.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 13, 2018

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Primetime posted:

Right, but in column D his investment keeps compounding. Except you also show a monthly payment of ~$148. How is the person paying for this ~$148?

Either you have to take the money out of the investment which would lower his compounding interest going forward. Or he has more cash elsewhere he is using to pay for this which makes even less sense.

me posted:

if you find yourself with an investment vehicle which returns 3% per annum, $5000 of credit available to you at 4% per annum, and a source of cash flow to service the payments on the $5000 loan to pay it off in three years

If you have net 0 balance at least ~$148 in disposable income you can choose to do two things with that situation, take the $5000 loan or just plow the $148 into the investment vehicle

oRenj9 posted:

Take a look your spreadsheet, line 11: you're paying $12.69 in interest but earning $12.78.

My entire post was basically: every spreadsheet will have this crossover, so long as you're paying principal each month. So thanks for the example demonstrating my point.

Edit: basically, the dude was like, "this weird thing happens" and I'm pointing out it's not a "weird thing," as it will literally always happen.

Yes, I'm not arguing about that. Eventually the amortization and compounding effects do turn a profit. It happens in the 10th month in this case.

What we're arguing is that taking out the loan is stupid, because if you just put the money you would put into loan payments into the investment directly, you'd end up better. On line 11, you earn $3.64 more in that month without a loan. The net balance of your accounts is $37.15 better without a loan.

Dwight Eisenhower fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 13, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

oRenj9 posted:

It will never happen because you're ignoring the opportunity cost of investing the money you're paying off the loan with. Unless the actual point you were trying to make was that hey, if you look at this in isolation and ignore the thing that makes it unprofitable, it totally works! The former makes you regular dumb. The latter makes you special edition dumb. For the love of god, just pretend it was the former.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Would you rather live in a 1 BD apartment with two kids, making $100k, or a 3BD house with two kids, making $50k

Your housing is free

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Would you rather live in a 1 BD apartment with two kids, making $100k, or a 3BD house with two kids, making $50k

Your housing is free
Are they my kids?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Splicer posted:

Are they my kids?

Yeah you gotta take care of em. You can bring your spouse too if you want! Make any assumptions you must in order to choose.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

what would you rather fight, one zaurg-sized Slow Motion, or 10 Slow Motion sized zaurgs?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Three kids and no money or no kids and three money?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The idea would both take off and not take off.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

what would you rather fight, one zaurg-sized Slow Motion, or 10 Slow Motion sized zaurgs?

I like how Slow Motion is now a "what".

Would you rather fight a lady-sized tiny brontosaurus or a Tiny Brontosaurus-sized lady?

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 13, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I started reading his thread from the beginning after it was linked in the Zaurg thread. I’ve still got it bookmarked and I’m going through it slowly. Instead of bitcoins it was drugs and 401(k) loans. The only reason it wasn’t worse than Zaurg’s is there were no kids involved.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah you gotta take care of em. You can bring your spouse too if you want! Make any assumptions you must in order to choose.
I foster out the kids to adopt in two different kids with slightly slower growth rates.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

oRenj9 posted:

I like how Slow Motion is now a "what".

Would you rather fight a lady-sized tiny brontosaurus or a Tiny Brontosaurus-sized lady?
The difference is Tiny Brontosaurus was a good poster and Zaurg and Slow Motion are :wellpiss:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I would rather own a lady-sized brontosaurus as a pet.

To clarify I’m talking about owning a dinosaur.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

If you want to own tiny dinosaurs, get some chickens.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

gently caress that, chickens are assholes and messy. Also really stupid and get themselves killed constantly. I’d rather own an adorable herbivore that’s big enough no Fox/coyote is going to gently caress with it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

gently caress that, chickens are assholes and messy. Also really stupid and get themselves killed constantly. I’d rather own an adorable herbivore that’s big enough no Fox/coyote is going to gently caress with it.

Capybara?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Enchanted Hat posted:

I know it's been 382 pages, but holy poo poo there's a lot of people who can't money

I wish this fit as the title.

My eyes have glossed over reading about that investment scheme, but wouldn't they lose out up front due to loan fees, etc?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Olive Branch posted:

The difference is Tiny Brontosaurus was a good poster and Zaurg and Slow Motion are :wellpiss:

Define "good".

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I started reading his thread from the beginning after it was linked in the Zaurg thread. I’ve still got it bookmarked and I’m going through it slowly. Instead of bitcoins it was drugs and 401(k) loans. The only reason it wasn’t worse than Zaurg’s is there were no kids involved.

he got a vasectomy, too.
very ethical

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Moneyball posted:

I wish this fit as the title.

My eyes have glossed over reading about that investment scheme, but wouldn't they lose out up front due to loan fees, etc?

Now you're just baiting people to start discussing it again :argh:

Even if there is no risk, no fees, no relevant factors whatsoever other than the rates 3% and 4%, it will always be worse to borrow at 4% to invest at 3% than it is to not borrow at 4% to invest at 3%.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
But the loan balance goes DOWN and the investment balance goes UP

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You think dinosaurs were kind and hygienic?

When not crammed in battery farms, chickens naturally spend more time bathing, grooming, and preening than an Instagram influencer (or whatever kids are calling themselves these days :corsair: )

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Enfys posted:

When not crammed in battery farms, chickens naturally spend more time bathing, grooming, and preening than an Instagram influencer (or whatever kids are calling themselves these days :corsair: )

I pay someone else to bathe, groom, and preen me so I can spend that time earning $$$$$$$$$$

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Enfys posted:

You can housebreak a lizard, you can’t housebreak a chicken. Hopefully you could do the same with a brontosaurus. And as an herbivore it would hopefully be less likely to want to see if other animals and your fingers are food. And it sucked enough having foxes killing our farm chickens, losing a pet would be even worse. We ended up leaving our sheepdog out with the chickens whenever we let them out of their run. He probably wouldn’t have known what to do with an attacking fox, but the foxes didn’t know that.

A brontosaurus would also be way more adorable than a chicken, which is what matters.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Where is the $100k bridesmaid dress saga? I saw the title change and came running. Wedding BWM drama is always the best.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I'm about to start trying my hands at stock.

quote:

I am almost 34 years old. I am doing alright financially. I could probably save a lot more! But... I am starting to getting a bit worried about long-term. Especially the retirement part.

But I loathe the idea of saving money or invest it into something everyone else and their grandmother's dog is such as IRA or whatever.

So I have decided I want to start trying my hands at stock. Especially since it will motivate me to invest more and will be able to watch it instead of just sit and wait.

The problem is I can spend maybe only $100-200 a month on the stock. Plus I have a fairly vague idea of stock.

I know I am fairly good at seeing what will be the next big thing or what company will succeed. Also, seeing a pattern in something is my strong suit.

Should I go ahead and try this or am I better off just driving through the city and throw my money out of the window?

some other poster posted:

You know IRA's are generally invested in stocks right? The only difference is it saves you a lot on taxes...so it's basically way better than a taxable brokerage. As an aside buying individual stocks is generally not the way to go for your average investor.

OP posted:

Yes I am aware of that. The problem is, if IRA is so effective then why aren't everybody rich?
Well, why aren't everybody rich?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Sorry, I had to