Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

"Drunks" are non-dwarves that decide to try to be dwarves. They're "drunks" because that of course means giving up drinking anything that isn't booze. Dwarves are of course fine with drinking nothing but booze but non-dwarves are...well, less so.

So what you have on your hands there is a goblin that wants to be a dwarf. I'm sure you can see the humor in that situation.

That's even more hilarious! Plus the goblin drunk has become upset at the site of the many many dead bodies from the constant invasions that want our artifacts and has begun to punch random people. She's not a citizen so I can't turn off her labors so she'll probably die in a fight in the next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Caused something weird while channeling.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Moridin920 posted:

I really am baffled at how complicated it is and yet at the same time so utterly useless for basic things like "when at 50 drinks make more until 200 drinks."

Oh well.
That's DF's entire thing, though.

The military system is excessively complicated for what most players need it to do, the burrow system is tedious to set up and honestly pointless outside of a basic "Get the gently caress inside and away from the megabeast" alert, the scholar/book-production system is complicated and doesn't really do anything for your fort, etc.

But it's the same level of excessive complexity that lets your dwarves bite a goblin's teeth off & send them flying in an arc, so we love it anyway.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't think that's really accurate. The burrow system gives you a tremendous amount of flexibility that few players need or want, but is fantastic for certain narrow applications; I really appreciate having that kind of power. The military system is really badly designed in usability (far more so than burrows, honestly) but again, the ability to set up rotating patrols and automatic responses to invasions is surprisingly useful if you're one of the ten people on earth who understand the UI well enough to implement them.

On the other hand, from my perspective DF's depth of simulation is mostly useless clutter that does nothing but eat FPS and introduce weird bugs (or "intended behavior" that ruins my plans, like how the patch that introduced stress caused domesticated animals to attack dwarves when they try to path through crowded spaces at the same time -- that completely hosed my attempt at raising guard hydras. :argh: )

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, DF is ToadyOne's pet storybuilder project. While I do hope that someday the game side of things gets a major programming overhaul, in the meantime I mostly just appreciate this nonsense existing.

On that note, 'the severed part flies off in an arc!' has to be one of the most weirdly hilarious descriptors in the game. That specific word choice sets up the weird expectation that maybe sometimes the bits severed in combat AREN'T going to obey the law of gravity and will just go zooming linearly away. Or maybe they're going to follow a wave pattern of motion instead. Granted, enchanted weapons would probably be able to do that sort of thing if he chooses to implement them; the old old OLD pre-DF magic system let you do stupid things like teleport your own brain outside of your body with obviously fatal results, after all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I should clarify -- I really do mean "mostly" when I say that about the depth of simulation. Sometimes it produces wonderful things, like for example how you can trick captured Giant Cave Spiders into firing webs through fortifications and then collect them. I just wish more of it were aimed at functional / interactive aspects like that, where the player can do something meaningful with it or about it.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

When you get a bookkeeper you should be able to do inventory and assign tasks from the inventory.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Pretty sure the role you're looking for is manager.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I've always wanted to make a society where everyone has their own home, their own farms, etc. So you keep people in their own homes and out of others via burrows. It just seems so insane to set up.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
poo poo's gonna be crazy if the Dwarven Economy gets re-implemented.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lpzie posted:

I've always wanted to make a society where everyone has their own home, their own farms, etc. So you keep people in their own homes and out of others via burrows. It just seems so insane to set up.

Yeah, to do it with burrows ever person would need their own burrow including their home, workplace, and all the public service rooms. And it wouldn't work at all for haulers.

People mostly don't go in other's rooms. You can assign a bedroom to a dwarf and generally only their spouse and minor children will enter. They won't share an office or dining room with their family, but they will use any furniture they own so if you put tables and chairs in their 'bedroom' they'll use them.

Workshops can also be assigned to just one person. Not sure about farms. You could even set it up with the classic 'living quarters over the shop' arrangement if you wanted so everyone lives as close as possible to their workplace. It would be a pain to manually assign every bedroom and workplace, but not as much of a pain as trying to draw it out with 150 individual burrows.

They wouldn't own the products of their workplace though. Haulers would still barge into work places to gather things for the stockpiles.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 10, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I tried to put craftsmen over the shop they work in once but it's unworkable, usually because spouses can have wildly different jobs and you still want certain shops to be near other shops for efficiency, put in stockpiles and stuff and I could never figure out a good layout but I might be severely lacking in the power of autism.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, to do it with burrows ever person would need their own burrow including their home, workplace, and all the public service rooms. And it wouldn't work at all for haulers.

People mostly don't go in other's rooms. You can assign a bedroom to a dwarf and generally only their spouse and minor children will enter. They won't share an office or dining room with their family, but they will use any furniture they own so if you put tables and chairs in their 'bedroom' they'll use them.

Workshops can also be assigned to just one person. Not sure about farms. You could even set it up with the classic 'living quarters over the shop' arrangement if you wanted so everyone lives as close as possible to their workplace. It would be a pain to manually assign every bedroom and workplace, but not as much of a pain as trying to draw it out with 150 individual burrows.

They wouldn't own the products of their workplace though. Haulers would still fill barge into work places to gather things for the stockpiles.

So dwarves can own the means of production, but not the product of their labour. JesusArmok, how many layers of communism are we on?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Partially Automated Luxury Gay Subterranean Communism

From each according to his moods, to each according to his increasingly quixotic demands.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shibawanko posted:

I tried to put craftsmen over the shop they work in once but it's unworkable, usually because spouses can have wildly different jobs and you still want certain shops to be near other shops for efficiency, put in stockpiles and stuff and I could never figure out a good layout but I might be severely lacking in the power of autism.

I imagine the easiest way would be a strict "1 professional per family" rule. You married the best mason in the fort? Congratulations, you're a hauler.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Am I the only one who feels that the raiding and stuff adds nothing? I agree with the discussion above that there are granular parts of the game that make it more interesting (personally I love the books even though they don't really do anything), but that some things just eat FPS. Raiding is just kind of this offscreen thing your dwarves do that feels more like numbers than anything that really happens.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Shibawanko posted:

Am I the only one who feels that the raiding and stuff adds nothing? I agree with the discussion above that there are granular parts of the game that make it more interesting (personally I love the books even though they don't really do anything), but that some things just eat FPS. Raiding is just kind of this offscreen thing your dwarves do that feels more like numbers than anything that really happens.

In the next version you’ll be able to watch the dwarves in realtime as if it was fortress mode. But they needed to impliment the back end of ‘send dwarves to different map chunks and let them do things then come back’ part first.

Like most things each step is one piece of a bigger puzzle for some scenario that toady ad threetoe came up with a decade ago.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
My favorite use of burrows is to make a guest tavern that my dwarves aren't allowed to visit. Preferably behind a floodgate of magma or in the caverns.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

In the next version you’ll be able to watch the dwarves in realtime as if it was fortress mode. But they needed to impliment the back end of ‘send dwarves to different map chunks and let them do things then come back’ part first.

Like most things each step is one piece of a bigger puzzle for some scenario that toady ad threetoe came up with a decade ago.

Well that sounds cool I guess.

I should never win the lottery because I'd immediately buy parts to build a nitrogen cooling Dwarf Fortress-only PC

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shibawanko posted:

It could be cool to set up a museum of stolen relics, I guess. I always used to set up a "zoo" and statue garden just because I thought a community should have some public recreation spaces besides the mess hall.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Facebook Aunt posted:

It could be cool to set up a museum of stolen relics, I guess. I always used to set up a "zoo" and statue garden just because I thought a community should have some public recreation spaces besides the mess hall.

What about the bestiarii/colosseum where naked goblins fight to the death with wild animals?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

There have been countless amazing mods for this game and utility programs.

When, when, will someone make some sort of UI or tool to make controlling the military not poo poo?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TerryLennox posted:

What about the bestiarii/colosseum where naked goblins fight to the death with wild animals?

Nah, not a fan. Though I did once put the cage full of goblins and un-butcherable creatures on the end of a pier over a 6 story drop outdoors and then pull the lever. So all the things clogging up my screens would fight, die, or run off the map. Honestly I'd prefer they just ran off the map, but most things are real reluctant to do that.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Is there a height that , if dropped from, nothing will survive the fall. Like whats the minimum death height.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Hihohe posted:

Is there a height that , if dropped from, nothing will survive the fall. Like whats the minimum death height.

I'm not sure if it's enough to kill literally anything, but according to the wiki, units reach terminal velocity after 52 z-levels, and the density of the material on the ground also has an effect on damage. So if anything can survive a 52 z-level drop onto slade, it can survive any drop.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The last goblin thief that blundered into a cage trap I threw into the empty floodgate-locked pit with a random troglodyte I'd thrown in there like a year before and forgotten about. They battled for like 3 weeks while intermittently puking and passing out simultaneously, and finally the troglodyte triumphed and got a custom name for his trouble.

He met his demise a couple months later at the hands of a troll, but I had a gold statue of his glorious striking down of the goblin thief made and set up in the library.

Basically what I'm saying is I love Dwarf Fortress.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
How do you disable the dfhack thing of jumping the cursor to the "ground"? I'm trying to build a floor over the sea but it keeps jumping down to the sea bed and I can't designate the floors into open space.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

I'm going to recreated the sacred band of thebes using a gays-only dwarf military squad.

Thematic, yes, but it also avoids the problem of dwarves carrying babies into combat.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
You might want to bump up the gay occurrence rate a bit then, I hardly ever get gay dwarves.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Pharnakes posted:

You might want to bump up the gay occurrence rate a bit then, I hardly ever get gay dwarves.

I've got fifteen!

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

JonBolds posted:

I've got fifteen!

Is that enough, though? Never enough meat for the grinder....

Which is a poor choice of phrase given the situation. Still. Lotsa squads!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Oh jesus, here I go again setting up a new fort. Last time I played, I remember I wanted to limit the number of living entities on my map at any given point, as having 200 dorfs will quickly cause FPS death with how much stuff is tracked. What's some good numbers to use to help avoid that? I'm thinking just halve all the default values like population cap, child cap, invasion cap, etc etc, and that should be fine? Yes? No?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

Oh jesus, here I go again setting up a new fort. Last time I played, I remember I wanted to limit the number of living entities on my map at any given point, as having 200 dorfs will quickly cause FPS death with how much stuff is tracked. What's some good numbers to use to help avoid that? I'm thinking just halve all the default values like population cap, child cap, invasion cap, etc etc, and that should be fine? Yes? No?

I think he improved fps a bit

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Lawman 0 posted:

I think he improved fps a bit

So just sticking with the default 220 cap and other defaults should be fine then? Or...?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Just cap it at 20 and enjoy a peaceful life.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Or embrace the fact that managing the processor demand is a primary gameplay element.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I cannot do this thing and now live vicariously through the efforts of you brave souls.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lpzie posted:

Just cap it at 20 and enjoy a peaceful life.

Seconding this. I have two caps I regularly play at, 20 and 40 -- often switching from one to the other mid-game, with 40 being for if I want to do more extensive military stuff.

You will probably also want to lower the invader cap -- 120 goblins with 40 wargs and trolls is a bit much for a military of 10-20 dwarves.

Similarly, lowering the visitor cap is also probably wise unless you want five useless layabouts for every dwarf in your fort.

The animal population cap is unfortunately hard-coded (it's 50 per species OR more than 3 young for each adult, after which members of that species will not get pregnant / lay eggs) but you can deal with this by just butchering extras or not having them in the first place.

There are a number of modding changes that make this more manageable/fun, as well. Megabeasts and semi-megabeasts can be edited in creature_standard.txt to have lower population thresholds for invasion -- turn down the first value in [ATTACK_TRIGGER:X:Y:Z] to your intended population cap.

Randomly-generated titans work similarly to megabeasts but their thresholds are set at world creation, so make sure you adjust that if you want titans. Forbidden Beasts appear to operate on their own, bizarre and possibly hardcoded logic so you'll get them anyways (almost) no matter what you do.

There used to be a similar tag for goblin, etc. invaders but it seems to be gone now, which is a little worrisome but might not be a problem if the game now simply uses some other logic for determining invasions.

I'm a dumbass! Civ-level thief / raid / invasion / trade triggers are in entity_default, not creature_standard. You're looking for these tags:

code:
	[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:2]
	[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:3]
The values here are weirdly abstracted; 0 disables the trigger, 1 means 20, 2 means 50, 3 is 80, 4 is 110, and 5 is 140.

You might also want to mod dwarven noble positions to trigger at lower population values but personally I'm more than happy to simply leave those mechanics unused. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 14, 2018

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
my computer is good enough that unless I'm being invaded by tons of demons that spit clouds everywhere my FPS usually remains fine with 100+ dwarves so I just have autolabor on all the time and don't worry about my caps

I love not microing in this game. let god sort these dwarves out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I think I'm gonna test out autolabor or that new cavern keeper app