Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Take haste and use it on your ranger to make them not terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Sage Genesis posted:

It's not just you.

The Dreadnought is level 21 - literally, an epic level threat from beyond this world. What's it do? It just sort of claw/claw/bites a bit. Plus a refluffed Swallow Whole and an antimagic cone. And that's... sort of it, really? I guess it can't be banished from the astral or do a weaksauce AoE that can't even take out most 2nd level characters? Woop-dee-doo, how amazing. We're surely facing an epic-level threat now boys!

Worst thing is, Donjon Visit does basically nothing. The target just readies an action to take when they re-appear, so they can do whatever they wanted to anyway. You lose nothing. (Unless you were relying on Extra Attack, in which case God help you.)

Having just wrapped up the last session of a 20th level campaign last night it is an extremely poo poo monster that will get chumped by any half-competent group of high level characters.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I dunno it sounds like a monster you throw at a lower leveled party to scare them. Seems pretty meh on level ground.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

They wouldn't even have to be that high. My experience in 5e is to give the big bad some mooks for meatshields, or make it a CR way higher than the book would suggest. The action economy is everything, this thing attacks solo, 5 PC's will murder it. I'm honestly curious how low level you could get for a party to reliably beat that up.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sage Genesis posted:

Worst thing is, Donjon Visit does basically nothing. The target just readies an action to take when they re-appear, so they can do whatever they wanted to anyway. You lose nothing. (Unless you were relying on Extra Attack, in which case God help you.)
I like it because I immediately thought of a bunch of stuff to but in it's stomach, like "You see a sword, a shield, and a bag. They look intensely magical. You can reach one this round.", or you land in something terrible, or something bad and weird attacks you and/or comes with you when you reappear, or you see someone/something maguffiny you recognise and now you've got to go back in to get them. Bunch of good stuff.

I wonder if the book says any good stuff to do with the donjon or if it's just the statblock.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 13, 2018

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Without going into details, the Pudding King fight is a pretty good example of why action economy is so massively important in 5e. If you're going to throw a single enemy at a party, it needs some absurd tricks in order to just not get annihilated.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So if you magically blind it , is it unable to use its antimagic cone to unblind itself? That's really funny

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Elysiume posted:

Without going into details, the Pudding King fight is a pretty good example of why action economy is so massively important in 5e. If you're going to throw a single enemy at a party, it needs some absurd tricks in order to just not get annihilated.
Like a once-per-turn DC 19 stun targeting a neglected save?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Generally speaking to make solo monsters a challenge I max their HP and give them a handful of legendary actions. Works for me most of the time.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Elysiume posted:

Reposting:
https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2015/12/08/designing-boss-monsters/

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Elysiume posted:

Case in point, my Party's 6-7th (can't remember exactly )level Paladin, squished him single-handed in one round. Granted they used clever planning to set that up, but the point is more 5E characters can have very high surge damage as well if they're free to burn, smites, action surges, or whatever limited bennies they get on a big encounter. Even at 7th level with a fair wind, and a little luck I wouldn't be surprised if that Party could take that Dreadnought. If they came to the fight fresh, and the CR rating would say that was impossible.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 13, 2018

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Deptfordx posted:

Case in point, my Party's 6-7th (can't remember exactly )level Paladin, squished him single-handed in one round. Granted they used clever planning to set that up, but the point is more 5E characters can have very high surge damage as well if they're free to burn, smites, action surges, or whatever limited bennies they get on a big encounter. Even at 7th level with a fair wind, and a little luck I wouldn't be surprised if that Party could take that Dreadnought. If they came to the fight fresh, and the CR rating would say that was impossible.
5e characters can nova hard.
Yeah, I really like legendary actions. I've mostly played PF and legendary actions seem like a great way to let a boss get a lot of stuff in without having to resort to the boss deleting one character per round.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Elysiume posted:

Yeah, I really like legendary actions. I've mostly played PF and legendary actions seem like a great way to let a boss get a lot of stuff in without having to resort to the boss deleting one character per round.

They also give the Dm the chance to really spread damage around and make the party feel like they're in danger and hanging on by a thread without just gibbing someone, and scale down appropriately as people do get knocked down.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Elysiume posted:

Was just thinking about it. Without going full Mathhammer. My groups Dragonborn Fighter with the big sword could attack twice, surge action for two more, then Riposte from the Dreadnought's own attack (and even at 7th had so many HP he could probably tank a full rounds worth of 'naught attack). That's 5 attacks, even with AC20, with his Strength, buffs etc, most of those are going to hit. Never mind any Crits etc, that's a whole chunk of Hp's gone to one character in one round. Even if it pulverises one character a round. With the Dreadnought low Initiative it's probably going to go last, which means the party are going to have effectively 9 rounds combined to it's 1 (5 before, 4 after) to hit it with everything they've got before it gets a second round itself.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JonBolds posted:

Having just wrapped up the last session of a 20th level campaign last night it is an extremely poo poo monster that will get chumped by any half-competent group of high level characters.

Deptfordx posted:

They wouldn't even have to be that high. My experience in 5e is to give the big bad some mooks for meatshields, or make it a CR way higher than the book would suggest. The action economy is everything, this thing attacks solo, 5 PC's will murder it. I'm honestly curious how low level you could get for a party to reliably beat that up.

According to encounter building in Xanathar's guide. This thing is supposed to be on basic even grounds with 5 Level 17 PC's. Anymore then that and they will kick it's rear end on it's own.

Deptfordx posted:

Was just thinking about it. Without going full Mathhammer. My groups Dragonborn Fighter with the big sword could attack twice, surge action for two more, then Riposte from the Dreadnought's own attack (and even at 7th had so many HP he could probably tank a full rounds worth of 'naught attack). That's 5 attacks, even with AC20, with his Strength, buffs etc, most of those are going to hit. Never mind any Crits etc, that's a whole chunk of Hp's gone to one character in one round. Even if it pulverises one character a round. With the Dreadnought low Initiative it's probably going to go last, which means the party are going to have effectively 9 rounds combined to it's 1 (5 before, 4 after) to hit it with everything they've got before it gets a second round itself.

An important thing you are forgetting about is the Dreadnoughts flight and the fact that it's canceling out your magic sword and pretty much any means of magically flying up to it. His buffs would also be canceled.

Sage Genesis posted:

It's not just you.

The Dreadnought is level 21 - literally, an epic level threat from beyond this world. What's it do? It just sort of claw/claw/bites a bit. Plus a refluffed Swallow Whole and an antimagic cone. And that's... sort of it, really? I guess it can't be banished from the astral or do a weaksauce AoE that can't even take out most 2nd level characters? Woop-dee-doo, how amazing. We're surely facing an epic-level threat now boys!

It's big bruiser so it is pretty simple. But it's always been like that. It was around the same power level and complexity since it was first stated back in 2e. Donjon visit is very useful. Whats the person reading an action going to ready. Unless it was movement they can't move after they show up again. And if it's magical there is a good chance when they pop up again it's in the anti magic field so they can't use it.

Donjon visit is best used to get rid of troublesome melee warriors or casters currently out of the antimagic field.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 13, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Thinking of the Demiplane Donjon I just thought of a fun little encounter with the thing.

The Dreadnought ate a Marilith a powerful Demon, that both does not need to eat and is immortal. So it would just be stuck there indefinitely if it survived. The Marilith now entertains itself by butchering anything that comes inside the Demiplane. So if you got hit by Donjon visit the Marilith will attack you. And if the Dreadnought is defeated the Marilith will be freed to fight with the weakened party.

There are also many other ways to use the Demiplane. As anything trapped in there does not need to be hostile.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

lofi posted:

I'm playing the party wizard, going for a very 'utility spell rather than damage' build. Mostly I just wanted to check if there's anything spell-wise (or build-wise) that's grossly over-powered (or under-powered, but lol :smugwizard:) or niche-stealing, I don't want to accidentally make things unfun for other players. Doesn't help that I got absurd rolls on stats (18/17/13/12/10/9 or something. My dump stat is a 9.)

The others are playing Cleric/Ranger/Druid, just to make it really loving hard not to tread on each others' toes.

I highly doubt you will be stepping on the other players toes. You don't really fill any niche that the others in the party do already.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

What is the pudding king????

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

I highly doubt you will be stepping on the other players toes. You don't really fill any niche that the others in the party do already.

Thanks - as I said, I've not played 5e, and it feels a lot, um, fluffier than 4e - does that bear out in play, or is it mainly the presentation that's changed? The biggest thing I had against 4e was agonisingly slow and over-granular fights.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

kidkissinger posted:

and more importantly can he do anything

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

lofi posted:

Thanks - as I said, I've not played 5e, and it feels a lot, um, fluffier than 4e - does that bear out in play, or is it mainly the presentation that's changed? The biggest thing I had against 4e was agonisingly slow and over-granular fights.

It's faster then 4e in my experience. And for sure is fluffier. It's quite different from 4e. Hope you have fun when you start.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kidkissinger posted:

The Pudding King is a Deep Gnome NPC from the Adventure Out of the Abyss.

He worships the Demon Lord Juiblex and controls the Oozes in Blingdenstone. He's a fairly weak character that for some reason fights the party that should already have surpassed the point he would be easy at alone. Attempting to cast spells at them and drop green slimes on them.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hope you have fun when you start.

It's adorable so far - we've got two rpg virgins, and their utter enthusiasm for the 'you are hired to guard a caravan. suddenly, goblins!' intro plot has really reminded me how fun a simple adventure can be. Two sessions in, and we've stopped to hold a proper funeral for the goblin ambushers. :3:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

lofi posted:

It's adorable so far - we've got two rpg virgins, and their utter enthusiasm for the 'you are hired to guard a caravan. suddenly, goblins!' intro plot has really reminded me how fun a simple adventure can be. Two sessions in, and we've stopped to hold a proper funeral for the goblin ambushers. :3:

Glad you and your friends are having fun. That is overall the most important thing about this hobby after all.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I'm currently DMing a lighthearted session with a couple of friends, and instead of actually bothering to roll properly for loot, I just have a DC15 check to all the non-random encounters. If they roll above 15, I do a 1-256 roll where every number corrosponds with an item on the D&D Beyond magic item list.

The problem is that, as much fun as it is to see new items, it has also thrown balance right out of the window. They're currently level 5's running around with a sword of sharpness, +1 flail, ring of spell turning, plate armour of etherealness and a cloak of displacement. It's getting increasingly hard to balance encounters, because either they curb stomp everything or they get grabbed by 2 chuuls and are knocked unconcious with 2 pincer attacks.

This all-random loot is funny and they seem to really enjoy a campaign where you can actually roll for more than endless potions of fire breath, but I'm having a hard time finding the right CR monsters and amount of monsters.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Encounter design is hard as hell in this - I think that is my true grievance with the system. I think you should throw scary poo poo at them and see what happens.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Psychedelicatessen posted:

I'm currently DMing a lighthearted session with a couple of friends, and instead of actually bothering to roll properly for loot, I just have a DC15 check to all the non-random encounters. If they roll above 15, I do a 1-256 roll where every number corrosponds with an item on the D&D Beyond magic item list.

The problem is that, as much fun as it is to see new items, it has also thrown balance right out of the window. They're currently level 5's running around with a sword of sharpness, +1 flail, ring of spell turning, plate armour of etherealness and a cloak of displacement. It's getting increasingly hard to balance encounters, because either they curb stomp everything or they get grabbed by 2 chuuls and are knocked unconcious with 2 pincer attacks.

This all-random loot is funny and they seem to really enjoy a campaign where you can actually roll for more than endless potions of fire breath, but I'm having a hard time finding the right CR monsters and amount of monsters.

yeah I would have used the actual magic item tables in this case, but if you are having fun with the all random loot good on yeah.

Have you tried using the new Xanathar encounter building stuff. It's easier then the DMG stuff and more accurate in my opinion.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 14, 2018

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

MonsterEnvy posted:

yeah I would have used the actual magic item tables in this case, but if you are having fun with the all random loot good on yeah.

Have you tried using the new Xanathar encounter building stuff. It's easier the the DMG stuff and more accurate in my opinion.

How does Xanathar's change it compared to the DMG?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Have you tried using the new Xanathar encounter building stuff. It's easier the the DMG stuff and more accurate in my opinion.

This looks really good, I'll have to try it out today or tomorrow, depending on when my players got time. Thanks!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Encounter design is hard as hell in this - I think that is my true grievance with the system. I think you should throw scary poo poo at them and see what happens.

Yup. In a game as relatively unstructured as 5e, plus lolrandom items throwing the power levels off even more, you can just conjure up whatever and let God sort 'em out

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Bee posted:

How does Xanathar's change it compared to the DMG?

Well it's an utterly different system. Based solely on CR rather then XP values. Along with ratios. Though I admit I have some difficulty understand the later stages of it.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Psychedelicatessen posted:

If you dont want to increase the random death count, just let them steamroll stuff for a while. As long as they are having fun they will make for some good table stories "remember when ...".

Just make sure that they know (out of game) that they got some lucky finds and things will get harder as their adventures catch up with their loot.

minema
May 31, 2011
Get the enemies to roll for random equipment too :v:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm having this exact problem. I'm running a session tomorrow that's 95% combat, and I have no idea if my fights will completely murder them or be a cakewalk. I want it to be hard with a real threat of death, but it seems to be really hard to hit that sweet spot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I find 5e encounter design to have a very slim window between "The party won't break a sweat" and "TPK" where an actual challenge occurs. I guess it's an extension of how each action can run the gamut between complete miss, very low damage, and very high damage. A single bad round of rolling on either side usually determines the entire encounter.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Okay I'm glad it's not just me building encounters that seem to be chumped by my players. Even the ones that I think are exceptionally difficult aren't really landing at an appropriate magnitude of life-threatening.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Technically it's better to low-ball an encounter, have them take a few HPs in damage and blow a couple of daily-use abilities and call it good.
Then hit them with another "soft" encounter
And another and another, and the difficulty will naturally increase over time as a function of their depleted abilities.

The problem is that this tends to require more abilities than the group might be comfortable playing with.

And that you can still have a point where it's difficult to estimate an encounter where it's so low-balled that they can do it without expending anything that matters.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I also struggle with my group insisting they long rest between basically every encounter. With Leomund's Tiny Hut and ritual casting, they've got safe full rests nearly anywhere. At least part of the group is so cautious and deliberate that it's frustrating that I can't provoke even SLIGHTLY reckless behavior.

I've circumvented this by providing time-sensitive objectives that can't wait 8 hours, but it does throw a wrench in things when they're approaching nearly everything at full power.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lurdiak posted:

I find 5e encounter design to have a very slim window between "The party won't break a sweat" and "TPK" where an actual challenge occurs. I guess it's an extension of how each action can run the gamut between complete miss, very low damage, and very high damage. A single bad round of rolling on either side usually determines the entire encounter.

I’ve found that giving them some “side” way to tip the battle in their favour (defensible terrain, explosive barrels, traps they found but didn’t disarm, ledges to push dudes off) lets me err on the side of more challenge. Also, at the start of each session until they’ve done it a few times I will remind them that they can flee, and I basically always make that possible even if they have to carry some friends out along the way. They might have to find another way in, recruit some help from town, rest and take different spells, or even go back to the local lord with a big “welp, good luck with those ogres” and deal with the consequences.

I’ve been tempted to let people use inspiration for BitD-style flashbacks, too. “It turns out I bought some fire oil before we left town,” that sort of thing.

Malpais Legate posted:

I've circumvented this by providing time-sensitive objectives that can't wait 8 hours, but it does throw a wrench in things when they're approaching nearly everything at full power.

Can you just ask them not to do that? My DM asked us to not cast Hold Person on everything because it was trivializing things, so we casters had an agreement to only use it once per session between us.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Malpais Legate posted:

I also struggle with my group insisting they long rest between basically every encounter. With Leomund's Tiny Hut and ritual casting, they've got safe full rests nearly anywhere. At least part of the group is so cautious and deliberate that it's frustrating that I can't provoke even SLIGHTLY reckless behavior.

D&D resting mechanics are awful and I just chucked them and run Long Rest as a milestone the GM can hand out in the same way a Level up works. It alleviates a tonne of problems with encounters per day being able to fit into an actual story.