Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
So not only did my local TRU close, but my nearby Albertsons also.

The difference is, the local Albertsons went out of their way to help everyone find new jobs.

I feel pretty bad for the one person I know who worked at the local TRU, she was very emotionally attached to the company. She cried after the doors closed for the last time. Worse, she got roped into working at the TRU one town over until that closes in a few weeks and relive the pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Freakazoid_ posted:

I feel pretty bad for the one person I know who worked at the local TRU, she was very emotionally attached to the company. She cried after the doors closed for the last time. Worse, she got roped into working at the TRU one town over until that closes in a few weeks and relive the pain.

Pretty lovely of them to take advantage of the mentally challenged

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Caganer posted:

Pretty lovely of them to take advantage of the mentally challenged

Hurr durr retail workers are mentally challenged. Hot take here.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

call to action posted:

Not retail workers, but someone dumb enough to have loyalty to a megacorp, to the point of making poor life decisions like accepting a transfer to another closing store instead of burning down the TrU she was at after stealing everything that wasn't nailed down because they refuse to give her a reasonable severance package while giving the execs who cratered the company millions.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

call to action posted:

Elizabeth Mills posted:

Not retail workers, but someone dumb enough to have loyalty to a megacorp, to the point of making poor life decisions like accepting a transfer to another closing store instead of burning down the TrU she was at after stealing everything that wasn't nailed down because they refuse to give her a reasonable severance package while giving the execs who cratered the company millions.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yeah gently caress that lady who was sad when she lost a job she liked that involved making children happy, what a dumbass am I right lmao

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
:capitalism:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah gently caress that lady who was sad when she lost a job she liked that involved making children happy, what a dumbass am I right lmao

if the bourgeois cannot feel happiness without material items they are class enemies and their happiness should not concern her

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Agreed, grey jumpsuits for everyone forever

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Caganer posted:

if the bourgeois cannot feel happiness without material items they are class enemies and their happiness should not concern her

This but unironically and without the conditional, lmao

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Cicero posted:

Jumpsuits are material goods.

Meditate on this naked in a empty field.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Look at moneybags over here, with access to their own empty field.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Ya'll can smarm all you want about this poo poo but it's actually really loving gross that we essentially allow giant corporations to target children and instill brand loyalty as soon as they leave the crib, and TRU was a particularly poo poo example of that sort of thing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
looking forward to arcadian toystore parity

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DrNutt posted:

Ya'll can smarm all you want about this poo poo but it's actually really loving gross that we essentially allow giant corporations to target children and instill brand loyalty as soon as they leave the crib, and TRU was a particularly poo poo example of that sort of thing.

you'll have to take my nintendo controller from my cold dead hands

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Reveilled posted:

I don't think touch screen ATMs ever caught on in the UK, I don't think I've seen one anywhere in the last 15 years in any part of Britain I've visited.

You'll see them at some high street banks and basically nowhere else. I hate them since it turns out having a screen that takes literally seconds to respond with no feedback when you select something, with a mis-step meaning you get the wrong amount of cash, is kind of shite

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Cicero posted:

One pieces really suck when you have to take a poo poo.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

DrNutt posted:

kids don't give a poo poo about brand loyalty, only that there are places with toys.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

SimonCat posted:

It's 2018, lmao if you still poo poo

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

SimonCat posted:

Get the kind with a back flap.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

SimonCat posted:

take that monkey d luffy

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

crazy cloud posted:

It's 2018, lmao if you still poo poo

that's why rear end eating is so popular with the kids these days, right? no one shits anymore?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Freakazoid_ posted:

kids don't give a poo poo about brand loyalty, only that there are places with toys.

nobody ever claimed to be a kb toys kid

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Caganer posted:

Speaking of, LOL.

Maybe they can use the Spirit Halloween model, rent an empty building for the holiday season then gently caress off for the rest of the year.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Caganer posted:

No kid ever actually called themselves a Toys R' Us kid either. Freakazoid is right. They only cared about TRU because they knew it had a fuckton of toys.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

there wolf posted:

Urban farming! Happens in a lot of cities, even New York, and it's more a network of gardens than a big field full of soybeans. People will buy/rent empty lots, weird patches of green space that can't be built on, peoples yards, or setup container or hydroponic gardens on paved spots.
This happens throughout England too, due to the shortage of available space. There are websites where you can rent out your front yard patch or offer to plant and tend to the aubergines.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Doom Rooster posted:

No kid ever actually called themselves a Toys R' Us kid either. Freakazoid is right. They only cared about TRU because they knew it had a fuckton of toys.

No parent actually took their kid to Toys 'R' Us more than absolutely necessary either, I'd wager.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
This might be a recent phenomenon but as someone who has kids, it's insane how many toys some kids get these days. Every loving trip to Target or wherever they get toys/candy. New poo poo constantly since grandparents/who ever also buy something for the kid when they go to those stores even without the kids.

I don't even have to take my kids to stores to gently caress around with the toys, I just take them to neighbors who have basements with more stock than a store in their basements.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

i am harry posted:

This happens throughout England too, due to the shortage of available space. There are websites where you can rent out your front yard patch or offer to plant and tend to the aubergines.

Rooftop farming is actually something that I expect to take off. I guess there have been people buying stuff like big, abandoned warehouses, putting soil on top of the roof, farming it, and then turning the warehouse into community space or self-storage or something. Everybody living in a high rise obviously can't have their own farm but that works out because I doubt everybody even wants one. It won't be a huge change in and of itself but a bunch of small changes add up to a big one.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah that’s why we have a “no presents” rule for birthday parties. Kid is already getting a shitload from his family and extended relatives so I don’t need my friends buying my kid a *squints at pile of stuff on the floor* Mr Bucket.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Rooftop farming is actually something that I expect to take off. I guess there have been people buying stuff like big, abandoned warehouses, putting soil on top of the roof, farming it, and then turning the warehouse into community space or self-storage or something. Everybody living in a high rise obviously can't have their own farm but that works out because I doubt everybody even wants one. It won't be a huge change in and of itself but a bunch of small changes add up to a big one.

1) Flat roofs are pretty rare in residential settings
2) Roofs aren’t designed to handle that type of weight

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Yeah that’s why we have a “no presents” rule for birthday parties. Kid is already getting a shitload from his family and extended relatives so I don’t need my friends buying my kid a *squints at pile of stuff on the floor* Mr Bucket.

Let's not even talk about party favor bags and the poo poo ton of candy some parents dump in them.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FCKGW posted:

1) Flat roofs are pretty rare in residential settings
2) Roofs aren’t designed to handle that type of weight

3) regardless, growing a week's meal sides or two of usable vegetables doesn't actually add up to changing anything.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A lot of already-existing rooftops aren't adequate for green roofing but it's more than feasible to make it so new buildings require them, since people are stupid and crabby and greedy and need to be dragged screaming into anything that isn't immediately gratifying.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I have four kids, and we have way too many toys... it’s insane. My wife, who is otherwise not a person that wants to own a lot of things, cannot handle getting rid of the toys the little kids have outgrown.

My oldest is 16, and when she was young she wasn’t really into playing with toys, but people insisted on buying her barbies, ponies, and everything else you can imagine. She eventually stopped opening them and would store them in her closet to give away as gifts or donate when she got the chance. I thought that was pretty cool.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

fishmech posted:

3) regardless, growing a week's meal sides or two of usable vegetables doesn't actually add up to changing anything.

Urban farming is a most curious delusion.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

eyebeem posted:

I have four kids, and we have way too many toys... it’s insane. My wife, who is otherwise not a person that wants to own a lot of things, cannot handle getting rid of the toys the little kids have outgrown.

My oldest is 16, and when she was young she wasn’t really into playing with toys, but people insisted on buying her barbies, ponies, and everything else you can imagine. She eventually stopped opening them and would store them in her closet to give away as gifts or donate when she got the chance. I thought that was pretty cool.

My friends who now have kids, I give them older laptops/ computers/ tablets/ server subscriptions. I'm your lovely internet uncle.

Give gifts that last, teach, and are needed.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Books, art supplies, and painters tape.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I just wanted k'nex. I still want k'nex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Spazzle posted:

Urban farming is a most curious delusion.

It's a hobby, which is fine. It just happens to be used as a virtue signaling hobby by a lot of people which is annoying.

For anyone who actually cooks a few pots of herbs on a windowsill is vastly more useful and requires many times less effort than tending a community garden plot.