Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

I'm assuming you mean, moty excluding non WWE promotions because lol

I also regret to inform that Styles/Cena was also on that Rumble card, and, well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

VJeff posted:

All of the incredible wrestling in the last two years and a a pair of overbooked spotfests with AJ and Owens are MotY candidates. Good gravy.

This is why I can never figure out how I feel about Roman, someone will say he's a worthless sack of crap and I'll be like hey now come on he's just badly utilized he's a talented guy and then somebody tries to tell me that he has the best TV matches in the company or that freaking AJ Styles Extreme Rules match was anything special and I wanna throw Roman off a cliff into a herd of wildebeests Mufasa style.

If you didn't like those matches then I guess that's your right, but they were very popular here when they happened

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I can't think of better Roman matches than the ones with AJ.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jackie D posted:

If you didn't like those matches then I guess that's your right, but they were very popular here when they happened

The AJ match really pisses me off for reasons that have little-to-nothing to do with Roman as a performer but it still pisses me off nonetheless. The Owens match was really good and is what turned me around on Roman the first time and made me realize, oh, this guy's actually a good wrestler.

But MotY candidates? Seriously? Even if you JUST narrowed it down to WWE main roster, you're putting them in the same conversation as stuff like the Cena/AJ matches, the Owens/Zayn matches, Neville's entire run as Cruiserweight Champion, where they just do not belong.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 13, 2018

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

In that they we're nominated here, and were 4+ star matches, yes

Remember a lot of people still don't watch njpw or nxt

poo poo, last year outside of styles/Cena and reigns/Owens at the rumble I have a hard time thinking of another main roster contender. I know people liked the 4-way at SummerSlam but I was too salty about Jinder going over Nakamura to watch

Jackie D fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 13, 2018

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

As soon as we start equating very good with MOTYC we're all turbofucked for life

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Match of the year candidates? More like nap of the year candidates haha Roman loving sucks and he was carried by Bryan to his best match.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Anything above like ****1/2 is a MOTY candidate, who gives a poo poo

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Anything above like ****1/2 is a MOTY candidate, who gives a poo poo

Which neither of the matches in question, or in fact, any of Roman's matches (with, apparently, one exception, that SummerSlam four-way) were, soooooo.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I mean I frequently don’t have the spoons to reasonably concentrate on any wrestling other than WWE, especially if it doesn’t have good English commentary, so I’m sorry if I’m not the smarkiest oval office on PSP but Roman Reigns is one of my favourite wrestlers in the world today and he’s been an integral part of some of my favourite WWE matches of the past decade so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

NJPW has Kevin Kelly and Don Callis on commentary for most of the major tours and shows now. They have greatly improved together, took some time to get the chemistry down. They're probably now the #2 team in all of wrestling behind Mauro and Nigel

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
So they're shittier than Mauro?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

shittier than mauro is a short list and i dont think you can call matt striker or josh matthews active anymore

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jenkem Delivery posted:

NJPW has Kevin Kelly and Don Callis on commentary for most of the major tours and shows now. They have greatly improved together, took some time to get the chemistry down. They're probably now the #2 team in all of wrestling behind Mauro and Nigel

Don Callis sucks

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I tune out all commentary

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Venomous posted:

Don Callis sucks

I have hated Don goddamn Callis for about 20 years now, and I have to say I find him tolerable to enjoyable on NJPW. He has ratcheted the "here's why you're a brainless mark and stupid" smug, smirking bullshit down a great deal, imo.

Kelly is a'ight.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Callis runs from Minoru Suzuki in fear all the time which is cool and good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mauro's absolute worst trait as a commentator is that he telegraphs near-falls way too much. This was at its absolute worst in the first Almas/Gargano match where his fake "oh no it's all over" more or less ruined a crucial near-fall for the TV audience.

Michael Cole is legitimately better at not making his near-fall calls too obvious.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Venomous posted:

I mean I frequently don’t have the spoons to reasonably concentrate on any wrestling other than WWE, especially if it doesn’t have good English commentary, so I’m sorry if I’m not the smarkiest oval office on PSP but Roman Reigns is one of my favourite wrestlers in the world today and he’s been an integral part of some of my favourite WWE matches of the past decade so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Legit question, what do you get out of Roman? Like, I don't hate the dude but I don't get the appeal. Like, he was cool in the shield and has been a big meh to me for years. What is it that a Roman fan loves about him?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gumball Gumption posted:

Legit question, what do you get out of Roman? Like, I don't hate the dude but I don't get the appeal. Like, he was cool in the shield and has been a big meh to me for years. What is it that a Roman fan loves about him?

All four moves he can do? His poor selling and facials?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Callis runs from Minoru Suzuki in fear all the time which is cool and good

When else is he going to have time to go take a piss?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hot take: Vic Joseph is the best lead commentator in WWE

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

sportsgenius86 posted:

Hot take: Vic Joseph is the best lead commentator in WWE

:yeah:

Vic rules. Nigel rules. Percy....is there. I guess.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don’t hate Mauro as much as I used to but he’s very “two steps forward, one step back” for me in that his big calls are wonderful but there’s so much forced unnecessary poo poo that makes me groan during matches.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the thanos thing at takeover was brutal

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

the thanos thing at takeover was brutal

-ly entertaining? I agree!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Infinity Wars reference is legit on the level of "TAP OUT BATISTA" for me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That wasn’t a reference that was reading the YouTube trailer description.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
He's doing his commentary job AND uploading to his reaction channel at the same time? Mauro's a triple threat, baby!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gumball Gumption posted:

His ability to get Vince McMahon to leave money on the table by continuing to push him instead of finding someone who people actually like is pretty great.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

WWE just had it's most profitable quarter ever and Roman main evented the last 3 biggest gate Mania's. He is not the guy but he is not losing money for the WWE

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Venomous posted:

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about wrestling without commentary? Stardom is pretty good (and all promos are subtitled in English, even some in ring ones) but I've known a few people who couldn't deal with zero commentary. Its not gonna deliver all of the MOTYCs that NJPW or PWG do, but they're still good, fun shows with great matches by excellent wrestlers.

Also the shows are all cut up into individual matches+promos on their website, so if you decide you don't like certain performers it's probably really easy to avoid them. My big issue with them is there's no way to legally preview what you'll be getting without paying. You have to go look up matches on YouTube or whatever in order to get an idea.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Randaconda posted:

All four moves he can do? His poor selling and facials?

HE'S LAUGHING. ROMAN REIGNS IS LAUGHING AT THIS POST I CAN'T BELIEVE IT

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Defiance Industries posted:

His ability to get Vince McMahon to leave money on the table by continuing to push him instead of finding someone who people actually like is pretty great.

The only person who probably could could beat Roman in revenue if he was healthy was Daniel Bryan.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

The only person who probably could could beat Roman in revenue if he was healthy was Daniel Bryan.

Well, do I have some good news for you!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I mean, Vince'd be at least a few million richer if he didn't have to keep shelling out to Brock because DAMMIT NEXT TIME IT'LL WORK, but I don't think Roman's affecting the company's bottom line negatively, even in the CM Punk "millionaire that should be a billionaire" way. Vince has successfully built himself an infrastructure where he'll make the same amount of money no matter who he pushes. That's basically the entire reason this Roman thing has gone on for so long.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

VJeff posted:

Vince'd be at least a few million richer if he didn't have to keep shelling out to Brock because DAMMIT NEXT TIME IT'LL WORK.

He's probably be a lot richer if he hadn't killed WWE pay per view.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gaz-L posted:

Well, do I have some good news for you!

Yeah, but Vince didn't leave money on the table with Bryan since he started to push Roman. Roman's push started after Bryan was out for 8 months with his neck injury.

Then Bryan was only around for like 4 months before he got concussed and wasn't medically cleared for 2 years.

Also for those reasons, you shouldn't be making Bryan the #1 guy even though he's back. He's too much of a risk to build plans around now.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

remusclaw posted:

He's probably be a lot richer if he hadn't killed WWE pay per view.

I dunno about that, can you imagine many people dropping 60 bucks a pop on most or even some of the PPVs they've put on in the last four years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

exploded mummy posted:

Yeah, but Vince didn't leave money on the table with Bryan since he started to push Roman. Roman's push started after Bryan was out for 8 months with his neck injury.

Then Bryan was only around for like 4 months before he got concussed and wasn't medically cleared for 2 years.

Also for those reasons, you shouldn't be making Bryan the #1 guy even though he's back. He's too much of a risk to build plans around now.

"You shouldn't push Bryan because he's too much of a risk for head injuries" falls super flat after Sunday.

Like, I could not find more perfect evidence that Vince absolutely does not give a poo poo about concussions.