Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Artum posted:

Point being hes a cruise missile that you point at something big and expensive the enemy has to cripple them since they WILL die.

No life lost in the service of the Emperor is lost in vain, tovarish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
It also takes basically all of your CP to do so. Of course he's a perfectly solid character even if you don't use those command points. He just scales REALLY well due to AoW and The Red Thirst.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I stopped running chapter master recently because I was getting tired of having no cp and god drat its nice to be able to make more decisions.

Now I'm just waiting on that glorious day when I use honour the chapter and get all 3 cp back.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
You can also do the much less damage totally fair variant where he falls to the Black Rage with Gift of Foresight and he just jump packs around with a 3++/5+++ and the Angel's Wing so he can't be overwatched and rerolls his charges.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Groetgaffel posted:

I would, if I had my lychguard assembled, which I don't.
I like the look of sword and board lychguard too, so while I'm leaning towards scythes I haven't yet decided what to build the 10 I have as.

Having played around with barges and arks a bit, I really miss not having shields on the flyers and the monolith. Being almost 400 points, and having nothing beyond a regular 3+ save is so sad.

Overall, this iteration of the monolith is a massive disappointment to me. It lost anything comparable to the old immune to melta rule, and while it can still deep strike it inexplicably needs even more space between itself and everything else, 12" instead of the standard 9".
Once upon a time it had the unique trick of not getting a mishap if it ended up within 1" of an enemy; you simply moved the enemy models away. To go from being able to plonk it down with impunity to requiring, on account of its large foot print, an absolutely staggeringly huge 30" square of free space is depressing.

Yeah, the lack of quantum shielding or an invuln make both the Monolith and the Obelisk a complete joke for their costs. If you asked me to play test the codex I’d be comfortable starting my testing with the Monolith at 300-320 points - it’s literally less hard to kill with anti tank weapons than a single plagueburst crawler, and even if we accept those as blatantly undercosted their “fair” price is probably in the 170-180 range. Sure it has nice gimmicks, but one of the problems with 8th edition (much though I love it) is that the murderousness means that a high priority target can’t afford to pay points for its gimmicks unless it’s also gifted some survival mechanism.

The Obelisk I would literally just send back to the writers with “what the gently caress is this even for?” sharpied on the datasheet. It needs a complete overhaul to be useful, and there are tonnes of places they could have gone with it that they just didn’t - how about removing the fly keyword from d3 targets at the start of each opponents turn? Some sort of mechanic to punish deep striking flyers? Gravity pulse as a targeted weapon?

But then Tesseract Vaults, both flavours of ark and command barges are really good, and triarch stalkers, night scythes and maayyybe annihilation barges (though I worry they never put out enough “threat”) see to have at least some uses. The vehicles are bizarrely uneven by modern codex standards.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The Anvil kickstarter gave me the motivation to update my list of Sisters models, I also got in contact with Grishnak to confirm that while his website is long-defunct, he still takes orders via email, so his stuff has been added.

Like i've said before, if anyone knows of any other 3rd-party sisters that aren't on the list, point them out and I'l happily toss them in with a writeup.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Man the monolith used to be like 200 points. 250 at most I think. :(
This new iteration does nothing new, and it's way worse at deep striking. Especially on a terrain heavy board, which is pretty much mandatory in 8th. And it's more fragile.
Used to be that you could never roll more than one D6 for penetration. Translating that to 8th could be some kind of damage reduction, but no they axed it entirely.

All the while jacking the price up at least 50%.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yeah for invasion beam tricks I can see using anything besides a single scythe. Even then just doing veil or deceiver tricks is better.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
After multiple moves over 15 years, it appears my warboss's boss pole snapped.

I am not an expert with modeling, but I think even if I use green stuff, it would not hold well. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could fix the pole and maybe make it sturdier so it doesn't snap in the future?

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Is it large enough that you could pin it?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Nunes posted:

I am not an expert with modeling, but I think even if I use green stuff, it would not hold well. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could fix the pole and maybe make it sturdier so it doesn't snap in the future?

Oxyacetylene torch?

:shrug:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If you have a soldering tool you can use solder material with a low melting point to weld them together.

If any of the broken-off pole part touches your boss's back you should have enough contact area for superglue to do its job, though.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Neurolimal posted:

If you have a soldering tool you can use solder material with a low melting point to weld them together.

:stare:

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Nunes posted:

You could consider making a sheath joint out of a very thin styrene tube. Shouldn't be too hard to to add a couple tiny rivets and it'd look suitably orky. Only tricky bit would be finding the right size tube.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

Cainer posted:

Is it large enough that you could pin it?

I think it is too small for this. Originally I was hoping I could do that.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

Giant Isopod posted:

You could consider making a sheath joint out of a very thin styrene tube. Shouldn't be too hard to to add a couple tiny rivets and it'd look suitably orky. Only tricky bit would be finding the right size tube.

What kind of tube would this be? I don't know what would work for this.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You can use the pole as a pin. Drill down into the slot where the pole used to be. It'll be a little shorter and further back but it'll hold.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Nunes posted:

What kind of tube would this be? I don't know what would work for this.

I was thinking something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Round-Tubing-1-8-5/dp/B0006O5FEG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1523662281&sr=8-5&keywords=styrene+tube but you'd probably need smaller I'm guessing.

I was thinking something like: cut a small length of tube, glue the banner halfway in, then on the other half of the tube cut in from the side halfway and cut down, creating a bracket for it to rest on, like a flagpole mount.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I would drill down into the metal and put the pole in that. A surface join will be very brittle.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Emphasis on low-melting point of course, since Pewter isn't exactly the strongest of metals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wf3ZmhXuOc

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 14, 2018

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I've broken that boss pole before and it's a loving pain to fix. There isn't enough space to pin it effectively. You're basically stuck getting rid of the original pole entirely, putty up the damage from where the pole connects to the back of the standard, add a brass rod and resculpt the detail that fastens the pole to the standard. Or just cut it off entirely and use a plastic one from a job or something

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Option 5: sculpt a gretchin sitting on the broken base holding the pole high in the air

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frobbe posted:

Speaking of custodes, there's some really rad ones available in this kickstarter from Anvil Industries

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1637892615/daughters-of-the-burning-rose

They're an established company and make great stuff already and i really, really like the design route they went with for these custodes Sisters of battle

*throws money at screen*

They look like they'll be great to paint too. Will be able to focus on shading rather than picking out fifty bits of visual noise per model.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Neurolimal posted:

Option 5: sculpt a gretchin sitting on the broken base holding the pole high in the air

RIP Makari: gone but never forgotten.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Big Willy Style posted:

I've broken that boss pole before and it's a loving pain to fix. There isn't enough space to pin it effectively. You're basically stuck getting rid of the original pole entirely, putty up the damage from where the pole connects to the back of the standard, add a brass rod and resculpt the detail that fastens the pole to the standard. Or just cut it off entirely and use a plastic one from a job or something

Criminy this hobby forces you to put up with some poo poo.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You've had it for 15 years but it's still bare metal?

:cmon:

Hustlin Floh fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 14, 2018

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

panascope posted:

Criminy this hobby forces you to put up with some poo poo.

Delicate breakable stuff is why I abandoned Dark Eldar after only a few games in 3rd edition. Loved the army but all those thin pointy spikes made transporting intact a nightmare.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Nunes posted:

Paint it. It's been 15 years duder.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

Hustlin Floh posted:

You've had it for 15 years but it's still bare metal?

:cmon:

Yeah I started to get into it back in 2003 but got sidetracked with life and it was in a box since. I am now finally trying to get everything assembled and then am going to try my hand at painting. Ideally, I do not end up like the guys in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3p_VuPIS2c

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Is combining a Primaris lieutenant and stalker bolt rifle with a squad of scout snipers as good an idea as it seems? Re-rolling 1s to wound to increase the chance of throwing mortal wounds onto enemies seems cool, but I dunno if I'm wasting his points having him planted in a corner with the scouts.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

DancingShade posted:

Delicate breakable stuff is why I abandoned Dark Eldar after only a few games in 3rd edition. Loved the army but all those thin pointy spikes made transporting intact a nightmare.

Sanguniary Guard wings, plus the old style Citadel cases

:negative:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

Is combining a Primaris lieutenant and stalker bolt rifle with a squad of scout snipers as good an idea as it seems? Re-rolling 1s to wound to increase the chance of throwing mortal wounds onto enemies seems cool, but I dunno if I'm wasting his points having him planted in a corner with the scouts.

Also would keeping my devastator squad nearby be asking for trouble?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheBigAristotle posted:

Also would keeping my devastator squad nearby be asking for trouble?

I think it could prove beneficial.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's my thought, I figure devastators are always targets anyway. 1250 point escalation league on Sunday, bringing all my new toys:

Imperial Fists

Gravis armor Captain
Lysander
Primaris Lieutenant with Stalker

4x Scouts w/ knives + 1x heavy bolter
5x Scout Snipers
5x Intercessors

3x Aggressors
1x Ironclad Dreadnought
5x Terminators, including an assault cannon

Devastator unit with 4x Missile Launchers

Feels like I don't have enough shooting to justify the captain, so I might swap him out for something else. I could do a laserback with a tactical squad, scrap the scouts, maybe.

Then again, given the lovely time constraints from last month's 1000 point game (GW store has 4 4x4 tables, and too many people) I might be ok if I'm alive on enough control points by the end of turn 2, which is probably all I'll get.

Gonna shuffle it around a bit before Sunday I'm sure.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

Emphasis on low-melting point of course, since Pewter isn't exactly the strongest of metals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wf3ZmhXuOc

It isn't the strongest of joins and you can't even manipulate the solder properly since the soldering iron will melt the pewter as well.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Sanford posted:

Some other bits, including a Space Hulk terminator at last.

I love the chestburster ripper.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thought you guys might be interested, I'm selling a lot of Tyranids in SA-Mart.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

I'm actually working on a sisters army (first one!), so that repressor would be pretty nice :)

E: assuming the repressor mentioned isnt an epic model :v:

id like to see the progress youve made on your sisters army friend :)

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Thought you guys might be interested, I'm selling a lot of Tyranids in SA-Mart.

I see the army's half-done, what made you quit em?

e: nvm read the SA Mart description. I feel ya. I feel like Space Marines will be my next army too because I don't want a million goddamn models to paint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheBigAristotle posted:

I see the army's half-done, what made you quit em?

e: nvm read the SA Mart description. I feel ya. I feel like Space Marines will be my next army too because I don't want a million goddamn models to paint

Yeah, I think I'll try Primaris Blood Angels next. Way fewer models and it'll be easy to make them all unique