Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

suck my woke dick posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh. I tried the ballheads and was not impressed, they're minimally adequate for light gear but you have to tighten them for way too many turns until they don't sag with even a slightly heavy lens pointed at an angle.

Oh yeah I changed out the head quickly for a Markins Q3T which is pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I'll definitely give the Benro and Sirui offerings a look. Given how and what I usually shoot, whatever I do get won't see heavy use (at least initially). If and when the provided head does crap out then I'll figure out a better replacement.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Fragrag posted:

Thanks! It was a camera that I retired after it broke right after finishing my lastproject but now I've been asked to shoot MF for a project so the epoxy cement solution is the most interesting. What do you mean exactly with that? Looking epoxy cement up at locally gives me either the resin that they pour out on floors, or binary glues. I'm assuming you meant the binary glues?

Yes, Epoxy cement as opposed to epoxy resin. Look for brands like Araldite or whatever your local equivalent is. It's two parts, one adhesive and one curing compound. You put a small amount of each on a bit of scrap plastic, mix them together and then apply it to whatever you need to fix. You'll want to clean the parts with rubbing alcohol or lighter fluid beforehand too. It's not a permanent bond but it is very strong, and should hold your camera together if you handle it carefully. It also means that when you do get an opportunity for a real fix, you should be able to crack it open again and chisel off the adhesive without damaging anything else.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Blue loctite sounds like it’s exactly what you need: a sorta strong and sorta temporary fix

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Local camera store went out of business and sold their entire stock at 50%+ discounts. Went there to stock up on M43 gear (scored a 7-14, 100-400 and 45 macro), and got this little thing at 75% off.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Local camera store went out of business and sold their entire stock at 50%+ discounts. Went there to stock up on M43 gear (scored a 7-14, 100-400 and 45 macro), and got this little thing at 75% off.

I am so jealous that I would want to punch your face if I didn't like you so much

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Clayton Bigsby posted:

$2500? :drat:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

jesus dude, you cleaned up

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

25000 SEK, around 3000 USD. They go for 107,000 SEK new here.

Got a 55/2,8 SDM with it. Ordered a 150/3.5 and looking for a 35 as well.

So drat fun being back to using medium format with big floppy mirrors and oversized cameras. This one is built really well too (weather sealing etc) and basically acts like a large DSLR. Good button layout, articulated screen, useful high ISO etc. Love it.

The files are glorious but that's to be expected.

Had no intentions of buying something like this, but the conversation went something like

"Oh, is that a 645D up there?"
"No, it's the Z."
"Oh, well, nevermind then, bit out of my budget."
"How about 25k?"
"Are you loving joking?" *pulls out wallet*

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 14, 2018

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

25000 SEK, around 3000 USD. They go for 107,000 SEK new here.

Got a 55/2,8 SDM with it. Ordered a 150/3.5 and looking for a 35 as well.

So drat fun being back to using medium format with big floppy mirrors and oversized cameras. This one is built really well too (weather sealing etc) and basically acts like a large DSLR. Good button layout, articulated screen, useful high ISO etc. Love it.

The files are glorious but that's to be expected.

Had no intentions of buying something like this, but the conversation went something like

"Oh, is that a 645D up there?"
"No, it's the Z."
"Oh, well, nevermind then, bit out of my budget."
"How about 25k?"
"Are you loving joking?" *pulls out wallet*

:hellyeah: congrats, take some pictures

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

:hellyeah: congrats, take some pictures

Oh, been out with it quite a bit. What a machine. Took some pics of the kids with their grandparents in a darkish room at ISO 25,600 and could easily make a nice size print of that.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Clayton Bigsby posted:

ISO 25,600 and could easily make a nice size print of that.

That’s awesome.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I have no interest in shooting film, but this is sitting at a local thrift store and seems to work.

Is it worth anything/enough to warrant buying it and throwing it on ebay or something?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Javid posted:

I have no interest in shooting film, but this is sitting at a local thrift store and seems to work.

Is it worth anything/enough to warrant buying it and throwing it on ebay or something?

I'd guess if the lens is in pretty good condition, it'd fetch around 60 together. $35 for the lens, $25 for the body.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got a tamron 70-200 g2 in last night and gently caress I'm impressed. The image stabilization is like nothing I've ever used, the image just completely stops moving on a shutter half press. I've rented a lot of canon L lenses and their IS works but the image still kind of floats around as it tries to keep up with my wobbly hands.

I think there's a wizard in this lens.

Oh I guess the images look nice too.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

I got a tamron 70-200 g2 in last night and gently caress I'm impressed. The image stabilization is like nothing I've ever used, the image just completely stops moving on a shutter half press. I've rented a lot of canon L lenses and their IS works but the image still kind of floats around as it tries to keep up with my wobbly hands.

I think there's a wizard in this lens.

Oh I guess the images look nice too.

Nice. Isn't that lens like $600 or so cheaper than the second gen L too?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes. The Canon still edges out on image quality but it's very close and anyone that worries about the faint differences is one of those filthy pixel peepers.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

xzzy posted:

Yes. The Canon still edges out on image quality but it's very close and anyone that worries about the faint differences is one of those filthy pixel peepers.

It’s the same for the Tamron 100-400.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hey guys,

I'll be going on a snorkeling-centric vacation soon, and I am playing with the idea of doing a better job with documenting things. I've used a Canon PowerShot G15 with a Canon underwater enclosure in the past. While the images were ok, I was not impressed by the image quality in the corners. I've also used a GoPro HERO3+. While it was infinitely easier to haul around, the image quality in the corners was again lame.

I'm curious what my options are. Assuming I had a $1k budget (with some flexibility), could I buy a system that gives me better images than the ones I've taken with my old gear? Or would I better off renting a more sophisticated system for 10 days?

I'm not fully committed to photographing underwater on this trip. Because I will be snorkeling only (not diving) I won't be super close to the subjects. But if the technology has advanced significantly, I would not mind trying it out.

How would a Olympus TG-5 compare to the Canon PS G15 and the Hero3+? How do they stack up against a Leica X-U?

Thanks.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 22, 2018

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I work (on land) with a crew of SCUBA divers and they have an older Olympus TG that they use for all their underwater work documentation. It takes decent pictures for sure; better than the GoPro they had been using.

I had an a6000 with one of the Meikon underwater housings for a while. The Meikon (or whatever other brand name it's sold under) was perfectly watertight down to the 10ft or so I took it to on multiple snorkeling excursions. Considering the price of other third-party housings like Ikelite, the price of the Meikon is much, much cheaper. So besides just coming from China and not having any name recognition, what else keeps them so cheap? It's the lens port. The port included in the basic model is made of plastic and tends to reduce the level of detail shown vs photos you'd get with the same lens outside of the housing. And the kit lens is the only one that the port is really designed to work with. You might have luck with other lenses as long as they stick out too far and aren't too wide, but ymmv.

Still, even with those limitations, the image quality is ok. You'll probably get better results shooting in available light underwater with a larger sensor camera, so an APSC a6000 at least theoretically outclasses a 1/2.3" compact sensor from the Oly TG or GoPro. You could definitely get into an a6000 with kit lens (or small prime) and Meikon underwater housing for less than $1K.

Olympus also sells its own underwater housings for OMD E-M5 and -EM1 series cameras. They're doubtlessly much better than my old setup, even though the 4/3 sensor in the OMD series is slightly smaller.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

The ease of use of a point and shoot without have to buy (and care for!) a separate underwater enclosure is a big selling point to me, and that draws me toward the Olympus TG-5 (or similar). I'm just not certain that the image quality will be better than that of my old (and now dead) Canon G15 w/ underwater enclosure. Then again, the price is low enough that I can just try it and know that even if IQ is average, the camera can take a beating better than other cameras.

The Leica X-U looks sexy as hell, but I read that the autofocus is slow and that you can't fully open the aperture when shooting at close range, even in manual mode. While a fully open aperture is not needed for snorkeling (constant motion and shallow DOF don't mix well), I would want to have that capability in other situations. The fixed lens is also a bummer at that price it commands. Oh well, another $3k not spent.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
There's also the Nikon 1 AW1 that came out a few years ago. I've heard the autofocus on the Nikon 1 system is pretty quick and its got a 1 inch sensor.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I work (on land) with a crew of SCUBA divers and they have an older Olympus TG that they use for all their underwater work documentation. It takes decent pictures for sure; better than the GoPro they had been using.

I can't shake this image of you working in an office environment, surrounded by colleagues wearing neoprene, masks and fins as they do their photocopying and filing.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Ziggy Smalls posted:

There's also the Nikon 1 AW1 that came out a few years ago. I've heard the autofocus on the Nikon 1 system is pretty quick and its got a 1 inch sensor.

A couple of user reviews on amazon talk about the camera flooding. :(

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Dammit, AW1! You had ONE job to do!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

President Beep posted:

Dammit, AW1! You had ONE job to do!

And it doesn't have image stabilization either. Looks like I'll pick up an Olympus TG-5.

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008

theHUNGERian posted:

And it doesn't have image stabilization either. Looks like I'll pick up an Olympus TG-5.

Ive really enjoyed the combination of my RX100V and Sony’s URX100a housing. It’s great quality and you have access to everything but the rear control wheel. The housing will fit any RX100, so you could combine it with a III or IV and come in under $1k, especially if you wait for the frequent sales on the housing where it dips to about $280.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Since the tripod thread is ancient and archived, what's babby's first decent tripod these days? I need it to keep a D700 and telephoto/macro lenses stable, so 2-3kg I'd guess.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

JSW2 posted:

Ive really enjoyed the combination of my RX100V and Sony’s URX100a housing. It’s great quality and you have access to everything but the rear control wheel. The housing will fit any RX100, so you could combine it with a III or IV and come in under $1k, especially if you wait for the frequent sales on the housing where it dips to about $280.

I have only used one underwater housing and it was the one for my Canon G15. I found that after a few days of using it, a drop of water would inevitably dry out on the dry side of the housing. It was impossible to clean off (my hands couldn't reach it - I think) and it left a mark that resulted in vignetting in all future images. It was not catastrophic, but for a snob as myself it was obviously visible in all the images.

Is the Sony underwater enclosure easier to maintain? Is it ok if I don't immediately wash the enclosure with fresh water after exiting ocean water? I really don't want my vacation to be hijacked by gear maintenance.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 22, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

the yeti posted:

Since the tripod thread is ancient and archived, what's babby's first decent tripod these days? I need it to keep a D700 and telephoto/macro lenses stable, so 2-3kg I'd guess.

This may prove to be ill advised, but I picked up a Neewer 66” carbon fiber jobbie for $100. Needs suiting so far, but all I’ve used before was those god awful things that cost like $15. :shrug:

One of the legs unscrews to use as a monopod, which, along with the build material, was one of the big draws.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

the yeti posted:

How much are you looking to spend? Tripods generally fall under the "buy once, cry once" category where you'll eventually buy a fairly decent one so may as well get it right away and enjoy it rather than spending 2x as much on inferior ones to eventually arrive at it.

So get a nice Gitzo. You've earned it.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Clayton Bigsby posted:

How much are you looking to spend? Tripods generally fall under the "buy once, cry once" category where you'll eventually buy a fairly decent one so may as well get it right away and enjoy it rather than spending 2x as much on inferior ones to eventually arrive at it.

So get a nice Gitzo. You've earned it.

Yeah that's my understanding as well, and I def have gone through a few 20-50 dollar ones. If I could get a ball head with a deec quick release (think I read the Manfrotto ones suck?) & aluminum legs and get out for less than 300 bucks I'd be happy.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Manfrotto heads are mostly outdated now, but they have one outstandingly good one, the X-Pro ballhead with the Arca-compatible (not the Manfrotto proprietary) option.

Legs I'd recommend anything Feisol, though with the Manfrotto X-Pro they'd probably slightly bust your budget.

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008

theHUNGERian posted:

Is the Sony underwater enclosure easier to maintain? Is it ok if I don't immediately wash the enclosure with fresh water after exiting ocean water? I really don't want my vacation to be hijacked by gear maintenance.

I’ve not had any issues at all in cleaning or maintaining the Sony housing, though I will say I’ve yet to try and find a replacement O ring — though it’s a super simple thing to take it out and grease it so I doubt that will be a struggle. The port is reachable even with my fat fingers, so if something does get inside I don’t foresee any difficulty in cleaning. I’ve not had anything like your experience happen though that necessitated it.

We’re not the most diligent in dunking it in fresh water and it’s gone a couple hours before. No bad effects yet.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

JSW2 posted:

I’ve not had any issues at all in cleaning or maintaining the Sony housing, though I will say I’ve yet to try and find a replacement O ring — though it’s a super simple thing to take it out and grease it so I doubt that will be a struggle. The port is reachable even with my fat fingers, so if something does get inside I don’t foresee any difficulty in cleaning. I’ve not had anything like your experience happen though that necessitated it.

We’re not the most diligent in dunking it in fresh water and it’s gone a couple hours before. No bad effects yet.

Thanks.

I went ahead with the TG-5. The sample images online seemed perfectly fine. While the Sony would have a much better IQ I just didn't want to mess with an enclosure. The Nikon had lousy reviews regarding water resistance and menu navigation, and it lacked IS (though it did have better images than the TG-5), the Sealife DC2000 had poor reviews regarding build quality, and the Leica was missing IS, an interchangeable lens, and full manual control (=hard pass at the price point) although I thought the IQ was fantastic.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 23, 2018

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

JSW2 posted:

That's cool I didn't know Sony made an underwater housing for the RX100. I bet that's a nice combo.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I use a gopro for snorkeling but I would gladly use a housing for my Rx100 ii instead. It takes much better photos and video than my go pro (hero 3?). It also shoots in raw for more powerful editing. Get a red underwater filter though and save yourself editing time.

Do wash your housings the day you use it. Salt water can make things gross and crusty very fast. Even just running a bottle of water over it, rinsing it out in the sink or taking it in the shower helps. It's the barrier between water and your expensive camera. Take care if it unless you want your camera to be ruined.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I’d have to dig out my tripod because I haven’t used it in a while but it was nice and had a swivel arm too. I want to say it was through adorama or something. Had three options of heads and I chose pistol grip.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Manfrotto heads are mostly outdated now, but they have one outstandingly good one, the X-Pro ballhead with the Arca-compatible (not the Manfrotto proprietary) option.

Legs I'd recommend anything Feisol, though with the Manfrotto X-Pro they'd probably slightly bust your budget.

Yeah, they do lol.

Are these any good? Or is that head literally the only deec thing Manfrotto makes anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve had a set of manfrotto 055xprob legs for something like 10 years and have no complaints. Not sure how they compare to the newer stuff but while I hated the head the legs seem good.