Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
gentle is dating girls fresh out of high school and is a huge underachiever, no wonder everyone loves him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nephthys posted:

Kouda presumably got rats and birds to chew through the cables and such. It wouldn't be impossible for Gentle to do it but his quirk is almost purely defensive and evasive so it'd be very hard for him to do much to the robots imo. And I don't think we can blame him for failing the hidden save people test. Even Iida failed that one.

I can't blame him because i don't think he even took the U-A test. But the provisional licence exam didn't even really involve combat. Like I think it's mentioned that the test changes every year but it doesn't come off as something based around combat power. He just didn't pass anyway and it's not like the chapter treats his quirk as being the problem.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

What was written on his house after the accident and what did the book he picked up say?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I can't blame him because i don't think he even took the U-A test. But the provisional licence exam didn't even really involve combat. Like I think it's mentioned that the test changes every year but it doesn't come off as something based around combat power. He just didn't pass anyway and it's not like the chapter treats his quirk as being the problem.

You mean aside from the first part? That's definitely combat oriented.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Radish posted:

What was written on his house after the accident and what did the book he picked up say?

"Kuzu" aka poo poo/Garbage.

The books something like "History of Quirk Related Crimes"

Kild fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 13, 2018

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

You mean aside from the first part? That's definitely combat oriented.

Sticking balls to people sounds like it'd be great for the evasive powers of Gentle. It was a game of tag more than a fight.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Besides, we can already see that he can fight just fine. He really seems more like the type to fail the saving part of the test.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ChronoReverse posted:

Besides, we can already see that he can fight just fine. He really seems more like the type to fail the saving part of the test.

He was also probably less capable when he was younger.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

He says that he wants someone to be inspired by his way of living, so I feel like he's going to realize that La Brava is that person and that he should be helping her succeed instead of getting her to help him, or something like that.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Rhonne posted:

Gentle passed his entrance exams, it was just that he kept failing classes at the hero school itself and repeatedly failed his provisional license exam.

Radish posted:

The school Gentle was at probably didn't have the ridiculous sort of entrance exam that UA did.

Well I hosed that up then, whoops.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I think Gentle will realize that before he met LoveLover he was actually just wanting attention and to be famous, in way he was like a less lovely Endeavor. I'm thinking that he'll end up a good person after this arc, OR while Deku and Gentle are doing this the VA will show up and Gentle will die/get injured holding them off so Deku and LoveLover can escape.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Gentle threw himself into a situation trying to save someone himself, he just did it while a hero was trying to actually help unlike the heroes when Deku was trying to save Bakugou. I think he cares.

Really Midoriya is a good person but he's not any less selfish than Gentle when it comes to general motivations. Gentle just never had a good mentor despite having the right attitude.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gentle seems book-dumb (besides repeating years of high school, he needed La Brava's help to do, well, almost anything computer-related) and, as the flashback shows, didn't have the hang of his quirk back then, which makes sense.

Also, the Deku comparison was spot-on. Heck, before dropping out, his dream was pretty much identical to Deku's: Become a great, famous hero. Those qualifiers were a part of Deku's dream too; he wanted to be like All Might and be an awesome hero who saved people and inspired them. Gentle had the "ignore everyone else and keep trying to achieve an impossible dream" thing too, come to think of it. (And a mother who was despairing over her son pursuing an impossible dream, though I don't think Deku's mom would have chucked things at his head if things had gone that way for him.)

He also, when trying to save that person, acted on a desire to help them, not out of glory-seeking, going by his thoughts there. The exact same instinct Deku acted on, "That person needs help," and the exact same reaction, running right in to do something. It's just, whereas Deku got saved instead of getting murdered by the villain (despite being no direct help; had All Might not been there to be inspired by him, his actions would have made things worse), Gentle got in the way of a hero he didn't see and got someone hurt.

Basically, Gentle's story is the same as Deku's if he had a quirk but less book smarts, and instead of being a shonen protagonist with ridiculous luck. reality ensued.

Then after a few years of living in poverty (he was eating wild plants), he encountered a former classmate who was successful and basically everything he wanted to be... And the guy didn't remember him at all. Which broke Gentle, and is the point where he forgot the "hero" part of his dream and began acting out of desperation to not be a forgotten failure.

Which is not to say he's justified in his criminal activity, of course. That's bad even with his story. Just, it's understandable how he wound up how he is, and his story is pretty much the protagonist's minus the trillion-to-one chance changing everything. Though rather than turning to crime, I think Deku's life going off the rails in a similar way probably would have had him wind up more like La Brava pre-Gentle, lonely despair and suicidal ideation, though he might have thrown himself into vigilantism with the same desperate fervor as Gentle has his villainy. (Which would have ended... Poorly.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 13, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Gentle threw himself into a situation trying to save someone himself, he just did it while a hero was trying to actually help unlike the heroes when Deku was trying to save Bakugou. I think he cares.

Really Midoriya is a good person but he's not any less selfish than Gentle when it comes to general motivations. Gentle just never had a good mentor despite having the right attitude.

midoriya can still put his own goals aside to help other people tho, like with todoroki in the sports festival. that's what I think gentle needs to learn from him

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

midoriya can still put his own goals aside to help other people tho, like with todoroki in the sports festival. that's what I think gentle needs to learn from him

Yeah, overriding Midoriya's need to become a hero is his need to save people. He's already demonstrated that many times.

Not saying Gentle is necessarily bad or that their situations aren't somewhat reflecting. But Midoriya has been built up to a very high standard.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Gentle and La Brava are both incredibly well written characters, and this arc is so so good, especially after Overhaul's arc was full of one note characters. I agree with the person before who said this is one of the best chapters in the whole manga, definitely on par with chapter 1 and Twice's chapter. I feel like any way this arc ends, I'll be happy with it, because it feels like there's four or five different ways this mess can untangle and all of them are dramatic possibilities.

I do hope things turn out okay for our villain duo, though. They're so excellent.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Gentle is a loser who took the easy way out. He needs a stern talking to.

OPM webcomic spoilers

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I hope the class gets their rope.

Seriously, though, this chapter was fantastic and I can't wait to see the conclusion. Holy poo poo this arc.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Momo's awake now anyways isn't she.

Why didn't they just wait for Momo to wake up.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Hate-Senpai posted:

Momo's awake now anyways isn't she.

Why didn't they just wait for Momo to wake up.

Because they didn't want to be rude and rely on her as an item dispenser. Kind of too late now, I'm pretty sure that rope is long gone.

I can't wait for a battered, disheveled, ropeless Deku to show up just in time for the classes performance.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
make the rope momo

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
They won't need the rope. The arc will end with Gentle apologizing by serving as a living rope with his rubber powers.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
With how old Gentle looks, it's likely that he was flunking high school back when Yagi Toshinori was still a quirk-less child. It wouldn't be surprising if the state of the hero business and education system was different back then.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ChronoReverse posted:

Yeah, overriding Midoriya's need to become a hero is his need to save people. He's already demonstrated that many times.

Not saying Gentle is necessarily bad or that their situations aren't somewhat reflecting. But Midoriya has been built up to a very high standard.

Yeah, while there are some very intentional comparisons to be made between the two, I dispute that Midoriya and Gentle's goals were/are the same. Midoriya wants to be a great hero because he wants to help and save people, whereas Gentle wanted to be a great hero to be famous and to make his mark on history. Those aren't the same thing.

Stain wouldn't have acknowledged Gentle as a true hero.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZiegeDame posted:

With how old Gentle looks, it's likely that he was flunking high school back when Yagi Toshinori was still a quirk-less child. It wouldn't be surprising if the state of the hero business and education system was different back then.

Depends on when he made his "debut", and how long after that La Brava found him; apparently the two of them met six years ago (I can't remember where this was said in-comic but it was mentioned here I think?), and Gentle was 22 when he had his breakdown over being forgotten and stuff, so the youngest he can be is 28. Presumably he didn't start right away though, and likewise it was probably a while before La Brava found him, since he had multiple videos and was starting to despair about the lack of attention when she tracked him down. So, probably at least 30, but at the same time I'd bet less than 40.

Similarly, La Brava is currently at least 21; she had that graduation album in her room while being a hikikomori, and apparently middle and high schoolers graduate at 15 and 18, respectively and, again, six years between them meeting and now. Though, as with Gentle, there was probably quite some time after her graduation before she saw his video, given the amount of trash in her room and how long her hair was and stuff. At least a year or two, I bet. So, she's definitely in her early to mid-twenties now, and was at least close to eighteen, possibly above eighteen, when she met him.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Gentle's a garbage person, him breaking into ua could cause tons of parents to pull their children from ua causing them similar problems to the ones he had.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Calling it now, the guy who ran away from the construction site is gonna find Deku's rope and bring it to the festival.

Either that or Momo is going to find it while walking back from the tea shop and, ironically, provide the rope anyways.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I think the idea we're supposed to get with regards to Gentle's failings in hero school is that he wasn't really dedicated to the idea of heroism. He says that his dream is to be a famous hero, but it's really the fame that's important to him - not the heroism. There's really no other explanation for being an 18 year old sophomore in hero highschool other than just not really being hero material. The comparisons to Mirio are apt, but even more so because at first glance there are pretty obvious uses for Gentle's quirk, where Miro basically created something from nothing.

One of the main themes of MHA is that you need to have an unwavering want or goal to be a hero, because whatever you're bringing to the table right now isn't good enough, and everyone else wants it just as bad. You don't necessarily need to be a good person, but you need to want the job, because there's a lot of competition for it. Gentle didn't necessarily want the job, just the fame. Given that he's trying to fulfill his dream now by being a criminal, and the efficacy of his quirk usage now compared to where he was when he got expelled, it's pretty easy to say he just wasn't all that interested in being a hero.

That's a bunch of extrapolation from just a few pages of a manga, and I don't usually do that, but I really like this arc. I suppose the alternate take on this could be that he was just kinda dumb, or maybe his school sucked. I'd buy that heroism was an important part of his goal more if he went vigilante, because he certainly doesn't seem to be harboring any directed bitterness, he just wants fame.

e: added spoiler tags even though i can never tell if we actually still use them here.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 14, 2018

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Break a leg, Gentle!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My view is that spoiler tags are not needed on the page after the newest chapter.

The only exception being when new readers are marathoning through the series, in which case the only polite thing to do is spoiler everything they haven't gotten to yet so they can livepost their reactions in the thread without being spoiled on future events, because God bless them.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
People keep calling Gentle a criminal and saying he only cares about fame, but if that were the case it would be simple enough to go on a killing spree and a preschool or something. But he doesn't want to be Charles Manson, he wants to be Robin Hood. It's clear he wants to help people and make the world a better place and be recognized by society for it, it's just years of obscurity-induced despair has driven him to focus more on the latter than the former. As he is now he could probably pass the hero exam just fine, it just took having someone actually believe in him to bring out his potential.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gentle's selfish but sympathetic unlike the vast majority of this comic's villains, whose motivations tend to be either vaguely defined or very high-concept. I hope Deku knocks some sense into him.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
The villains in this series are pretty universally dissatisfied with the state of their society as it is. Whether that is because of some philosophical or moral principles they hold (like Stain) or just because that society has failed them personally in some way (like Shigaraki). If Gentle is selfish it's only because society demands it. Hell, every student who passed the first stage of the license exam did so at the expense of all those who failed. Gentle has just taken that principal to the extreme as a result of constantly being on the losing side of that equation. He is a very good and earnest and I hope someone tells him that he can be a hero instead of sending him to super jail.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Xarbala posted:

Gentle's selfish but sympathetic unlike the vast majority of this comic's villains, whose motivations tend to be either vaguely defined or very high-concept. I hope Deku knocks some sense into him.

I think Deku will. It's Midoriya's other defining trait in my opinion.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ZiegeDame posted:

People keep calling Gentle a criminal and saying he only cares about fame, but if that were the case it would be simple enough to go on a killing spree and a preschool or something.
I see you missed one of the puns inherent in his name: he is Gentle Criminal. As in a gentle criminal.

Bonus: he is also a Gentleman of Crime, what with supping on tea in addition to preferring to perform mighty misdemeanors rather than outright heinous villainy.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Just read the chapter.

"I'm not laughing, Gentle Criminal." is such a loving good line.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
remember when gentle was introduced shitstomping the heroes at 7-11 and we all wondered if he killed them or not

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Newest chapter of Vigilantes is up, it's both cute and grossly incandescent \[T]/ , a welcome reprieve after last chapter.

Also just realized we don't have a :solaire: emote, which is shocking

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZiegeDame posted:

People keep calling Gentle a criminal and saying he only cares about fame, but if that were the case it would be simple enough to go on a killing spree and a preschool or something. But he doesn't want to be Charles Manson, he wants to be Robin Hood. It's clear he wants to help people and make the world a better place and be recognized by society for it, it's just years of obscurity-induced despair has driven him to focus more on the latter than the former. As he is now he could probably pass the hero exam just fine, it just took having someone actually believe in him to bring out his potential.

Well his title is literally Gentle Criminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
he calls himself a criminal, which he is, but he's not a villain. All his crimes are Robin Hood esque crimes until he beats up heroes to commit them, but that'd be a reasonable price to pay if he was actually succeeding and getting the corruption he's attacking solved. Unfortunately, his methods are really dumb and don't work.