Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, based on what they were showing that's probably for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
If only the terraria animated series had suffered the same fate.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I Said No posted:

If only the terraria animated series had suffered the same fate.

Sorry, the what now?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Otherworld looked awful, so I can't feel bad about this. I'm only sorry they wasted time and resources on it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So I decided to come back to Terraria after seeing my friend launching it over and over. Also decided to just go mod crazy. I installed Calamity, Tremor, and Thorium (because there's a Reddit post with a boss checklist if you combine these 3 specifically,) put Overhaul on top of all that (may have been a bad idea, the iframe change is poo poo,) and then grabbed a bunch of QoL mods listed here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/5ssv2n/list_of_mods_worth_checking_out_tmodloader/

What "must have" mods do you folks play with that aren't in this list? I'm thinking of starting a new world with Cheet Sheat to re-build my base and wonder which combo of mods would make for the best biome mix.

If you're like me and curious about what the best mods are, I can at least tell you that Magical Storage is the best mod ever, with Recipe Browser just behind it.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 13, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mountaineer posted:

Otherworld looked awful, so I can't feel bad about this. I'm only sorry they wasted time and resources on it.

pretty sure the actual terraria dev didn't waste any time on it, it was entirely phoned in

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Otherworld got farmed out pretty much immediately and looked stupid so count me as a "whatever"

I'm still looking forward to 1.3.6, the few teasers they've shown mostly consist of fairly minor tweaks but they're all good.

As far as mods go I've only messed with Thorium. I liked it, especially since some of the later progression removes a lot of fiddly poo poo like having to farm up early game materials in hardmode. The sprite work is pretty good too.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Somehow Otherworld had the scent of vaporware from the start. I wish I could pin down why but I always had the feeling it was never going to be playable, and the long delays/studio swap only cemented that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DaveKap posted:

So I decided to come back to Terraria after seeing my friend launching it over and over. Also decided to just go mod crazy. I installed Calamity, Tremor, and Thorium (because there's a Reddit post with a boss checklist if you combine these 3 specifically,) put Overhaul on top of all that (may have been a bad idea, the iframe change is poo poo,) and then grabbed a bunch of QoL mods listed here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/5ssv2n/list_of_mods_worth_checking_out_tmodloader/

What "must have" mods do you folks play with that aren't in this list? I'm thinking of starting a new world with Cheet Sheat to re-build my base and wonder which combo of mods would make for the best biome mix.

If you're like me and curious about what the best mods are, I can at least tell you that Magical Storage is the best mod ever, with Recipe Browser just behind it.
I'd personally only install one or two of Calamity, Tremor, and Thorium, they all add quite a lot as it is.

I like Magic Storage, particularly if you say, also bring that Auto Chests mod along so you can get a reliable supply of the gems and other materials the thing needs.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think we all knew Otherworld was destined to be poo poo, one way or the other. It was really obvious how weird that first iteration looked and it seems like they still couldn't shake off that weirdness the second time around. Good on Relogic for dropping it.

Meanwhile, still no info on Terraria 2. Makes me wonder how badly Otherworld dragged it down.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Somehow Otherworld had the scent of vaporware from the start. I wish I could pin down why but I always had the feeling it was never going to be playable, and the long delays/studio swap only cemented that.

Otherworld was announced as being developed by another company while around the same time relogic said they planned on making terraria 2 themselves. There's the poo poo smell you were talking about, right there. Why would I buy some outsourced/half-assed crap right before the real deal gets released? I aint no EA-idiot here, don't pull this poo poo on me.

I'm glad they came to their senses and just scrapped it. It was bound to cause unneeded drama for them. And it's all not a total waste, it's not like they're just deleting all that work. Lots of the assets are going to be reused and refit for terraria 2, which I still assume is in the pipeline.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
volcanically hot take: if there was a terraria 2, i probably wouldn't get it. the original already fills the entirety of its own genre niche.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

One of the main things I'm hoping for in Terraria 2 is the thing being built with mod support in mind.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Red hasn't talked Terraria 2 in a long, long time. It's all about 1.3.6 and 1.4 now.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Am I the only person out there who would like to see a game like this with modern graphics? Why is it you have to choose between AAA graphics or fulfilling gameplay with replayability?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

codo27 posted:

Am I the only person out there who would like to see a game like this with modern graphics? Why is it you have to choose between AAA graphics or fulfilling gameplay with replayability?

Pixel graphics are faster to make meaning it's much easier to add content.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The White Dragon posted:

volcanically hot take: if there was a terraria 2, i probably wouldn't get it. the original already fills the entirety of its own genre niche.

Given that the original Terraria has been a completed game but then massively expanded on numerous times by now and has also had multiple giant overhaul mods released for it, I'd say there's room for iteration and improvement of said genre niche.

But yeah, the most important thing for a theoretical Terraria 2 would be:

Zereth posted:

One of the main things I'm hoping for in Terraria 2 is the thing being built with mod support in mind.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
Hey, Molothecat - thanks for inviting me to your clubhouse that one time. Sorry I didn’t say anything or join the Discord; Terraria isn’t my thing these days. Okay, bye.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kanos posted:

But yeah, the most important thing for a theoretical Terraria 2 would be:
Just imagine how much better the mods could be if it was easier to, say, do new boss mechanics/AI stuff. Fewer "wait, is this boss just the Twins with higher numbers and inflicting a different debuff than cursed flames?"

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Pixel graphics are faster to make meaning it's much easier to add content.

In part this is true, but there are pros and cons to both approaches that should be taken into account. Here's my take as someone with an interest in both.

Pixel Art Assets:
+Faster and easier to make on a basic level, less of a graphical startup cost basically
+Can generally be left at a "good enough" state without alienating players thanks to the lowered expectations of quality associated with pixel art (unfortunate, but true)
+Easier to play the "Style/Programmer Art" card without raising eyebrows
+Less taxing on your graphics card, so more users can play it on more devices
-Actually good, professional-level pixel art is a LOT harder to make than people think, and the pool of artists at that level of talent is much smaller than the pool for 3D graphics
-Everything has to be animated by hand unless you want ugly paper doll animations, and you'll need a separate sprite sheet for every piece of equipment you have if you want them to show up on your character
-It's harder to change things down the line after you're already rolling. Say your artist proposes a significant change to your player character, this also means changing every one of the aforementioned equipment sprite sheets
-Because of the nature of the pixels that make up your art, you have to pay more attention to the resolution your game runs in and the resolutions of the devices your players will be playing on, at least if you don't want squashed pixels (please)

3D Assets:
+Modular, and MUCH easier to make sweeping changes on than pixel art. Need to make some small tweaks to the player model? Need to make those pauldrons a little fancier? No problem
+Scalable, and can be freely resized without looking weird. This also means that resolution isn't as much of a problem because 3D assets can be scaled infinitely in either direction
+Improved capacity for graphical flourishes. Highly detailed things like fancy patterns on cloth or engravings on a sword that would otherwise be busy or muddy in pixel art show up cleaner and crisper in 3D
+You only ever have to make something once, and this is a big one. Being able to make a model or an animation and then apply that to the player AND all their equipment is a huge timesaver
-The graphical startup cost is quite a bit higher for 3D than Pixel art. You have to make the model, unwrap the model, rig, skin, and texture the model, and that's a lot of work compared to opening Paint
-As the polygon count goes up, so does the load on your GPU, meaning your player base gets a bit narrower comparatively. Take another hit if you want post-processing effects
-3D programs and their interfaces take a bit of getting used to and they're all different from each other, meaning you have to come to grips with each and every one you're planning to use
-More expensive/harder to penetrate for small teams or hobbyists

...which is basically a lot of words to say that, for the most part, you're right :v:
Pixel art is good if you just need to get something fast and don't care too much about the future.
3D art requires some more work and time to start up, but can pay off big once you get off the ground.
Pixel Art is the 50m dash and 3D is the marathon, basically.

I don't know why I made this post

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 14, 2018

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Terraria is a great game, but there are definitely a lot of ways it could be improved for a Terraria 2. Things like a built-in version of the magic chest and other quality of life improvements. Things like mod support at the base level. Things like a more balanced approach to progression, more defined iterations on different class archetypes, different styles of mobility. Moreover, a sequel would allow players to explore entirely new biomes, new systems, etc. I would never say Terraria is perfect; there's plenty that's tedious, grindy, extremely luck-based, or just generally not that fun to repeat after you've put a few hundred hours into the game. A sequel could be extremely good.

That said, I'm certainly not going to clamor on for a sequel instead of more updates to the game I already have. I'll just welcome it if and when it comes.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Terraria 2 is called starbound.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

grimcreaper posted:

noooooooooo

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

grimcreaper posted:

Lol. ”Starbound But not poo poo” is called terraria

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
More like Minecraft but not poo poo

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I think making Terraria with a 64-bit multi-threaded engine that supports modding is the best possible Terraria 2 but I would never look down on having the same gameplay with a completely separate set of content.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Basically the one thing Redigit confirmed about Terraria 2 is he wants to have multiple linked worlds. Whether that means we're gonna get dimension-hopping, a take on Starbound-style interstellar travel, or simply a way to move characters between worlds without quitting to menu, it opens up a lot of fundamental gameplay possibilities.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Terraria 2 will just be Terraria but everything looks like those weird-looking Terraria toys

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Basically the one thing Redigit confirmed about Terraria 2 is he wants to have multiple linked worlds. Whether that means we're gonna get dimension-hopping, a take on Starbound-style interstellar travel, or simply a way to move characters between worlds without quitting to menu, it opens up a lot of fundamental gameplay possibilities.

Terraria 2 should steal from Myst because Myst is good and the idea being Myst and the books is super rad and fits in very well with these kinds of games.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Terraria is one of the best gaming experiences I've had in the last 10 years, I'm not sure if it's because I came in late into development and they were hands-off or not. I'm pretty afraid they'll release another patch that makes me fantisize about the old days, like Warcraft or LoL or Minecraft or any other game that's somehow managed to be relevant for over 6 years.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing how none of the clones even come close to the same experience.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

codo27 posted:

Huh? Terraria's graphics are fine. It has its own art style and changing that would make the game worse imo.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

socialsecurity posted:

They kind of swooped in during the Minecraft clone era riding on the coattails of 2D nostalgia games and managed to knock it out of the park. The complaints I have about Terraria are pretty minimal, mostly just UI based. The difficulty curve and general freedom to play your own game are nearly perfect. There's definitely cheesy ways to beat the game, but it's still difficult in a way where you can take a dozen different routes to the end of the game and they all feel pretty good.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

It's less about how poorly the clones did and more about how perfectly Terraria did it. The factors that make Terraria gel into such a good game are varied and many, so copying them all in order to nail the same feel would mean creating something so close to a "clone" that everyone would call bullshit on the dev. Starbound was close but they still couldn't come up with a way to make the core play loop as fun, let alone build a sustainable UI to stand up to the utter insanity of inventory management. Everyone else wasn't a former Terraria artist so everyone else either ended up with a lovely looking game or a game that tried to be something else and couldn't execute.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Terraria also had a huge amount of post release support from the very beginning and stuck around so long that it's essentially gotten to be a new game 4 or 5 times so no one really remembers how rough it was at launch.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
My main complaints about Terraria would be believing that autoswing/autofire is something that has to be part of a weapon's balance instead of a basic UI feature, and entirely far too much grinding for some items.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember first night when I didn't know how the game worked was rough, I lost my copper pickaxe and that was pretty much the end of it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

dis astranagant posted:

Terraria also had a huge amount of post release support from the very beginning and stuck around so long that it's essentially gotten to be a new game 4 or 5 times so no one really remembers how rough it was at launch.
The amount of poo poo I take for granted now is crazy. Even being able to choose who moves in where wasn't originally in.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I don't think I'd say Terraria was really "finished" until hardmode went in for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Vib Rib posted:

The amount of poo poo I take for granted now is crazy. Even being able to choose who moves in where wasn't originally in.

Still not in mobile