Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Verman posted:

Thoughts on A73 vs A7r3?

Think you've already talked yourself into getting the A7III. As you've said, if you don't need the resolution performance of the A7RIII, then there's not much point since that's really what you're shelling out for.

I wouldn't kid yourself that the A7III's ISO performance or dynamic range is significantly better though, there's no practical difference between them as far as stills shooting goes though I'd be happy to be proven otherwise. AF is slightly better on the A7III, but personally I've never had huge issues shooting weddings even with the A7RII so it's horses for courses. As for processing time, it's just an issue of whether you have a beefy enough computer.

IMO it basically comes down to whether you want to pay for extra resolution or not (along with good glass to make use of it). I have to say the ability to crop judiciously has saved me a fair few shots, but if you don't need the detail and don't crop much, you might as well save the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
From the various high ISO respectively invariance tests I've seen, if you scale the 42MP capture of the A7R3 down to 24MP, noise wise it looks the same, as appears the DR to be.

Regarding the AF, the R version seems to be relatively competent from what you can read out there. Weddings aren't hectic enough for it to fail hilariously I'd figure. The A7III autofocus will probably have a bigger effect in sports photography and the like (it's the AF from the A9, which seems geared towards that stuff).

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
This new blackmagic m43 camera seems pretty nuts for the $1295 price:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

JHVH-1 posted:

7"x4" is kind of stretching 'pocket' a little.

I mean the rest is impressive, but the name is something of a lie here.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

spog posted:

7"x4" is kind of stretching 'pocket' a little.

I mean the rest is impressive, but the name is something of a lie here.

I don't usually find it a problem having 7" in my pocket. Usually I just tuck it down my inseam, though it can be painful sometimes if you sit down on it.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Twenty-Seven posted:

i broke the little pack-in flash that came with my x-t2. to be honest i hardly used the thing but not having the option is making me itch and hey, maybe i hardly used it because it was so dinky??? so what do you get for babby's first flash on fuji, do i just grab their EF-X500 or do i have to learn what "godox" and "cactus" mean. thanks in advance, i'm very stupid.

FYI the TT350F is back on Google Express, you can save 20 more dollar via Amex.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Verman posted:

Thoughts on A73 vs A7r3?

Are you making large prints? At 20x16 the a7 iii needs to crop to 13 in on the small side to stay at 300 dpi compared to over 300 for the other. At 20x30 it is 200 vs 265 ppi.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

lampey posted:

Are you making large prints? At 20x16 the a7 iii needs to crop to 13 in on the small side to stay at 300 dpi compared to over 300 for the other. At 20x30 it is 200 vs 265 ppi.

I've printed 24x36 prints from my Digital Rebel XT (8mp) that look great. You really don't need 300dpi for a large print, because you don't look at large prints from inches away.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

lampey posted:

Not really, most of my wedding couples are younger types focused on social media versus prints. I enjoy jumping in and shooting a wedding, retouching the photos and handing them off (digital files). Sometimes they will reach out to me after delivery to discuss prints in which case I will but its rare that anyone wants giant prints of themselves, usually an 8x10 is the biggest I've ever delivered. If I were shooting weddings full time as my primary source of income I would be trying to sell more prints to increase profits but the hassle of dealing with prints/albums is more than I want to handle at the moment.

For work, the product photography that I do is mostly used for our website and standard letter size print catalogs, brochures, and ads. The event photography that I do is usually just candid social stuff at a trade show, an internal sales meeting or some other corporate event where it just goes into a digital slideshow summary, no prints. Most of our corporate headshot portraits at work are for digital usage such as our website, employees LinkedIn profiles, etc so no prints.

I've been weighing the decision of the A73 and the A7R3 pretty hard. I'm still on the fence but I'm leaning towards the A73 because with the money I will save I'll be able to pick up more gear. I would rather save the $1000 and not get the 42mp that I likely won't fully utilize, and pick up a fast prime lens that I will use all the time. I don't see my current workflow being negatively affected by going with 24mp vs 42mp. I would love to have 42 mp but it becomes expensive to store and its overkill for my needs. I don't see myself changing my usage much in the next few years. I managed to make a 5d2 and a 50D (backup) last me 8-10 years, shooting weddings for the last 5 so I think I can make a 24mp full frame body last me quite a while. If I really feel like I'm missing out by not having those extra megapickles, I can always upgrade to a second body to whatever the next iteration of the R series is down the road.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I think you should go with your instincts here. The A73 is all the camera you will need and the extra lens is more useful than crazy huge resolution. The stuff you are doing with it is not particularly gear intensive and the extra resolution of the A7R3 is largely going to go to waste.

You sound in every post as though you've already made the decision and just want to hear some validation for it. You don't have a usecase where the A7R3 gives you anything perceptible over the A73.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Fuji Rumors is reporting that Fuji will announce new firmware updates for the X-T2, X-H1, GFX 50S, X-E3, X-Pro2 and X100F on the 12th. When they actually release the updates is anyone's game. Good luck everyone.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Also, the XT-20 firmware page on Fuji’s site makes mention of firmware 2.0 and all the features it has. I think the rumor for the XT-20 was an April release, so it will hopefully come out soon.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Speaking of updates, is there any way to get notified when there is a firmware update? I couldn't find an RSS for updates on the fujifilm website.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Ashex posted:

Speaking of updates, is there any way to get notified when there is a firmware update? I couldn't find an RSS for updates on the fujifilm website.

I just follow Fujirumors on social media.

They updated their post with this:
X100F Firmware Ver.2.10 -due April, 2018
Enlarged and customizable indicators or information
The upgrade allows users to enlarge indicators and information in the viewfinder and/or LCD monitor. This upgrade will also enable users to customize the location of where the information is shown on the display.

And the bigger updates for all the other cameras etc forthcoming:
https://www.fujirumors.com/leaked-full-details-of-upcoming-firmware-udpates-first-images-of-gf-250mmf4-and-gf-1-4x-teleconverter/

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

JHVH-1 posted:

I just follow Fujirumors on social media.

They updated their post with this:
X100F Firmware Ver.2.10 -due April, 2018
Enlarged and customizable indicators or information
The upgrade allows users to enlarge indicators and information in the viewfinder and/or LCD monitor. This upgrade will also enable users to customize the location of where the information is shown on the display.

And the bigger updates for all the other cameras etc forthcoming:
https://www.fujirumors.com/leaked-full-details-of-upcoming-firmware-udpates-first-images-of-gf-250mmf4-and-gf-1-4x-teleconverter/

For the X-T2 this has me happy!

Addition of “Focus Bracketing”
The update will enable the photographer to shoot focus distance bracketing up to 999 frames. When the photographer starts shooting, the focal location is shifted with each activation of the shutter by the step of focus shift set from 1 to 10.

Finally!

And the list goes on! This is looking to be a great update for the X-T2.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

mAlfunkti0n posted:

And the list goes on! This is looking to be a great update for the X-T2.

I'm really curious about the improved AF. That'll help with my concert stuff.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is the 120 frame per second stuff apply to all new bodies? Now I am salty.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

whatever7 posted:

Is the 120 frame per second stuff apply to all new bodies? Now I am salty.

From my reading of the post it applies to the X-T2 in general via the firmware update that is coming in "May".

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Fuji continues to be extremely cool and good, news at 11 :v:

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

JHVH-1 posted:

Looks like they really want to lure the Panasonic vloggers by chucking in a free copy of Resolve Studio. I haven't used a BlackMagic but it's tempting to give this a whirl sometime.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Myrmidongs posted:

Looks like they really want to lure the Panasonic vloggers by chucking in a free copy of Resolve Studio. I haven't used a BlackMagic but it's tempting to give this a whirl sometime.

Davinci Resolve is quite nice but you really don't need the studio version for vlogging (IMO). That camera looks fantastic in general for movie making, has a ton of things that it seems most were asking for.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I may have missed this from a couple days ago, but Fuji firmware 2.00 is out for the X-T20.

Adds better AF-C tracking that was brought to the X-T2 a while ago, better touchscreen operation that debuted with the X-E3 a while ago, support for Fuji RAW Studio, histogram highlight warning, face detection improvements, and lots of other fixes.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I got into a local club that plays with lightsabers twice a week. Since I have an X-T1, I'm thinking of bringing it to saber meets but I'm concerned thst the video quality sucks (I have not heard any praise on Fuji bodies for that generation). Is it really that bad, or downright unusable? Take note that the sessions are in a park at nighttime, where mostly the sabers themselves perform most of the illumination. That's gonna kill most non-pro setups, I imagine.

If (and that's a big if) I were to upgrade for video, should I wait for the X-T3, or jump on the X-H1?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

bobfather posted:

I may have missed this from a couple days ago, but Fuji firmware 2.00 is out for the X-T20.

Adds better AF-C tracking that was brought to the X-T2 a while ago, better touchscreen operation that debuted with the X-E3 a while ago, support for Fuji RAW Studio, histogram highlight warning, face detection improvements, and lots of other fixes.

I'm looking forward to the improved AF-C and flick to change AF area. That update was released in the last 24 hours as I'm pretty sure I'd checked the website yesterday morning and didn't find anything.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Ashex posted:

I'm looking forward to the improved AF-C and flick to change AF area. That update was released in the last 24 hours as I'm pretty sure I'd checked the website yesterday morning and didn't find anything.
Same here. It's been much-awaited! Highlight blinking is a nice addition.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

bobfather posted:

Oh nice! Updating my X-T20 now!

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
The face detect seems pretty much the same, but the eye detect seems more accurate. it'll be interesting to see if the continuous af has improved much.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
What's a good, cheap adapted lens around 50-60mm for portraits? Seeing the Minolta Rokkor PF 58mm f/1.4 MC for around $40. Is that decent or better off spending a few bucks more?

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

What's a good, cheap adapted lens around 50-60mm for portraits? Seeing the Minolta Rokkor PF 58mm f/1.4 MC for around $40. Is that decent or better off spending a few bucks more?

I have that lens, it's good. Heavy, and might appear warm due to a radioactive element. Also not multi-coated so flaring could be an issue. But I like the old MC rokkors.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I returned the XT-1 to KEH in favor of the XT-10 that I'd actually ordered. Maybe i'm dumb but it felt like the right thing to do! For now i'm going to use adapted lenses on it, but would like to pick up a Fuji lens soon.

I love my X100T and the 23mm focal length, should I just pick up the XF 23mm 1.4, or is it a safer bet to start with the kit lens (XF 18-55 2.8-4)? The XF 35mm 1.4 is enticing too since it's a bit cheaper and has more of a reputation of having the magic dust inside. Has anyone else made the X100 to XT series jump and can offer advice?

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
i think a lot of folks skip the 23/1.4 if they have an X100x as a second body, but those that don't love it. up to you if you'd really benefit from the extra stop but i'd probably cover some other focal length(s) first if i were you

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Yeah, use the kit lens for a while and keep track of what focal lengths you use more often. Then find that prime.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I had the 23 1.4 for awhile and sold it. Picked up a 23 2 awhile back and really like it, the extra stop just couldn’t persuade me and this thing has weather sealing which is nice.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I had the 23 1.4 for awhile and sold it. Picked up a 23 2 awhile back and really like it, the extra stop just couldn’t persuade me and this thing has weather sealing which is nice.

The f2’s weather sealing sold it to me. Happy with it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Also the f/2 focuses faster and more accurately. I found the f/2 to even beat out the f/1.4 locking focus in low light. I was gonna keep both versions but ended up selling my f/1.4 after like 2 weeks of using the f/2.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Local shop had a demo day and all the reps were there. Sheesh the X-H1 is huge! The rep confirmed a May X-T2 update that basically brings all the good stuff from the X-H1 except the obvious stuff. Cannot wait for it!

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
does that include eterna? i haven't gone digging, but what i have seen has been kind of cagey on whether or not that was coming to other bodies. i would assume so but ...

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

frogbs posted:

So I returned the XT-1 to KEH in favor of the XT-10 that I'd actually ordered. Maybe i'm dumb but it felt like the right thing to do! For now i'm going to use adapted lenses on it, but would like to pick up a Fuji lens soon.

I love my X100T and the 23mm focal length, should I just pick up the XF 23mm 1.4, or is it a safer bet to start with the kit lens (XF 18-55 2.8-4)? The XF 35mm 1.4 is enticing too since it's a bit cheaper and has more of a reputation of having the magic dust inside. Has anyone else made the X100 to XT series jump and can offer advice?

I sold my X100T simply because of the 23/1.4 - I didn't see the point of duplicating the focal length and I preferred the image quality of the 23/1.4 over the X100T's lens. I haven't found the need for weather sealing or faster AF so I'm happy with it vs the 23/2 but YMMV.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Hello thread. Yesterday I went to a camera shop open day and impulse bought a lightly used EM5 MK2 that was on sale. The lens selection they had wasn't great though, so I held off on lenses.

What are the recommendations lens wise? I'm keen on keeping the size down, and I thought the Olympus 12-40 2.8 was a bit big, and defeated the point of having a tiny camera for me.

I'll mainly be using it for travel, so some landscapes and city shooting. I'm happy to use primes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
It really depends on the field of view that you prefer. I’ve always been a big fan of 28mm equivalent so for me the Lumix 14mm is perfect when I need a small prime. Sharp as hell, focusses fast, relatively cheap, weighs next to nothing and is tiny.