Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Dragon friends is exceptionally rough for the entirety of the first season unfortunately. It does get better in season 2 (still no TAZ, but genuinely listenable) but imo you can’t really skip S1, it establishes a lot of relationship dynamics (ie why everyone is mad at Hing all the time) and fun callbacks that make the jokes in S2+ more satisfying.

They do still drink lots though

What do you mean by rough, though? Sheer audio quality? The SFX+music timing/usage? Editing, maybe? Or is it more like the format and how used they get to a group of people communicating into a set of mics (stop loving talking over each other I can’t hear you)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think I'm also at a point where people acting like generic rear end in a top hat D&D parties really doesn't do it for me any more. If I wanted that I could just read loving Knights of the Dinner Table back issues. This is also probably why I don't really like the first two arcs of TAZ all that much.

I like the actual play podcasts I like because of a mix of goofs and story, and given a choice I'll probably lean more towards story than goofs. Once it's all goofs I'm incapable of giving a poo poo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m the same way, I prefer a balance - very early TAZ was kind of unremarkable outside of stuff like Magic Brian, but it started hitting its stride at the first Moonlighting arc and the establishment of an overarching structure. I’m just personally of the opinion that you need a good balance of goofs to story to prevent the actual play from getting too boring or too stupid.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"You feed your cat just straight turkey?"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

“I am the Pringles of blood, maybe!”

Dust is actually pretty great, guys.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Here's my legit complaint about Amnesty:

More Jake Cool Ice. God dammit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Max Cooljazz/Jake Coolice OTP

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

the ghastly gauntlet was loving awesome

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

dogsicle posted:

both of those are funnier than taz on a regular basis but taz actually has writing and characters to get attached to, plus better production. personally i value humor over most of that stuff so i've gradually fallen off taz though.

This is more or less where I am now. TAZ got me into the whole actual play thing, and I think Eleventh Hour will forever be one of my favorite D&D things, but my tastes have (d)evolved and now I want morons talking about dragon genitalia and giving big bads the stupidest voices they can

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I love the comedic timing and situational awareness of the McElroys, and unfortunately that's not as common in actual plays as it could be. :smith:

Although, Critical Role seems to have some good moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq5Vk7IBSME

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 14, 2018

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
You know, they shine a spotlight on how much they shill, from the start they did the whole "hey we're kinda badly ironically doing this ad so it doesn't count!!" schtick
As someone who's getting back in to the show after many many years it's kinda disappointing to see that they're still basically shilling at the same rate. Again I was never convinced the max fun network was a good thing. How many podcasts have seasonal advertising sessions???
Again I'm being unfair, but I look at other comedy podcasts, from those who realized that purity was everything and any ounce of advertising was pretty fuggin lame like UYD (who were unavoidably major influences on MBMBAM and all comedy podcasting) to podcasts like We Hate Movies who also advertise and shill but do it at a lesser rate and sure as hell don't have a larger podcast network that mandates entire fundraising periods that repeat annually. They like most good podcasts still seem kinda ashamed about it.
Again I don't know what it is about the McElroys compared to other podcasts where they are part of a network that mandates constant shilling. There are PLENTY of podcasts way worse in this area or about equal, so again it's a credit to the McElroys that they're the one podcast wit that level of shilling I can still gently caress with.

I guess maybe the answer is that modern podcast income flow is treacherous and comes through a variety of different strategies. Do they also have a Patreon tho? Cuz having a patreon and having a network that makes you shill so much feels like above the board.
I dunno I just dream of McElroys who stayed ABBA. UYD will never have a tv show or 80 branch off podcasts but they'll always have a coolness of non shilling purity that's kinda an incontestable part of their appeal. Meanwhile the McElroys these days make entire podcasts and bits around "ironic" advertising.
I just wonder what the money black hole that necessitates the above average shilling and shilling seasons is with max fun and the McElroys compared to other pods. Maybe Griffins still enlarging that Pokémon collection. There just aren't a lot of podcasts with network mandated shilling seasons who also shill on a normie rear end level of constant constant constant. Is it just all their goddamn babies!???? Cut it out!!!

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 14, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If you have to be mad at someone, be mad at that capitalist Jesse creep.

vvvvv lol nice

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 14, 2018

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

My hot take:

Early TAZ had a better Balance of content and was thus more enjoyable to listen to.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Punkin Spunkin posted:

You know, they shine a spotlight on how much they shill, from the start they did the whole "hey we're kinda badly ironically doing this ad so it doesn't count!!" schtick
As someone who's getting back in to the show after many many years it's kinda disappointing to see that they're still basically shilling at the same rate. Again I was never convinced the max fun network was a good thing. How many podcasts have seasonal advertising sessions???
Again I'm being unfair, but I look at other comedy podcasts, from those who realized that purity was everything and any ounce of advertising was pretty fuggin lame like UYD (who were unavoidably major influences on MBMBAM and all comedy podcasting) to podcasts like We Hate Movies who also advertise and shill but do it at a lesser rate and sure as hell don't have a larger podcast network that mandates entire fundraising periods that repeat annually. They like most good podcasts still seem kinda ashamed about it.
Again I don't know what it is about the McElroys compared to other podcasts where they are part of a network that mandates constant shilling. There are PLENTY of podcasts way worse in this area or about equal, so again it's a credit to the McElroys that they're the one podcast wit that level of shilling I can still gently caress with.

I guess maybe the answer is that modern podcast income flow is treacherous and comes through a variety of different strategies. Do they also have a Patreon tho? Cuz having a patreon and having a network that makes you shill so much feels like above the board.
I dunno I just dream of McElroys who stayed ABBA. UYD will never have a tv show or 80 branch off podcasts but they'll always have a coolness of non shilling purity that's kinda an incontestable part of their appeal. Meanwhile the McElroys these days make entire podcasts and bits around "ironic" advertising.
I just wonder what the money black hole that necessitates the above average shilling and shilling seasons is with max fun and the McElroys compared to other pods. Maybe Griffins still enlarging that Pokémon collection. There just aren't a lot of podcasts with network mandated shilling seasons who also shill on a normie rear end level of constant constant constant. Is it just all their goddamn babies!???? Cut it out!!!

source your quotes

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Sir this is an Arby's drive thru

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

good post, i definitely read it all and enjoyed it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Thx btw Arby's rocks lollll!!!!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
many people need money to survive, and people who do popular podcasts tend to advertise to both support hosting the podcast and support themselves actually being able to live

it's either "shilling" or just not being able to support doing it anymore

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Max fun drive lasts two weeks, it's not bad enough to warrant any sort of complaint. You're also getting free content the rest of the year so it seems like a pretty good trade off to deal with Maxfun drive and some ad-based goofs during each episode.

Maxfun is also drawing a ton of new content because they have a money pipeline that gets podcasters paid for work. Seems like a win all around.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I just wish it was like Giant Bomb where if I give them money directly I can have an ad free feed of the podcast so they aren't also indirectly making more money off my attention. The days of extreme restraints are long gone, there's only so much comedy you can wring out of mattresses, meal packs, flowers, and clothes lootboxes week after week.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'd accept it being like We Hate Movies: all ads at the start, so you can just pre-skip straight to the theme song and get all the content. None of this mid-roll horseshit.

Admittedly it's still better than SBFP, because unlike them, the McElroy's put music in the ad section so you can just hit the skip 30 seconds button until it goes away.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hargrimm posted:

I just wish it was like Giant Bomb where if I give them money directly I can have an ad free feed of the podcast so they aren't also indirectly making more money off my attention. The days of extreme restraints are long gone, there's only so much comedy you can wring out of mattresses, meal packs, flowers, and clothes lootboxes week after week.

on the other hand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS8_bUBXaOY

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Without ads, we'd never get candlenights extreme restraints

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i'm Saying Yes to Amnesty and I'm having a good time. I actually really enjoyed this episode, I thought Travis in particular did a great job.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Say what you will about Aubrey, but Travis having her yell stuff from the back room of the Cryptonomica got a few good laughs out of me.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's annoying that they keep trying to sell me the same poo poo every other podcast tries to sell me, but It's hardly intolerable. Now the Flophouse is a podcast that was ruined by max fun. They used to keep the podcasts to about an hour and fifteen to an hour thirty. I listened to recent episode all the way through, 2 hours and some change. But thirty five minutes of it were ads. Now as soon as final judgements are over I turn it off. When I'm leaving half the podcast unlistened to and skipping over the emails which used to be pretty funny because of how long the ads are you've got a problem. On the plus side I'll never have to hear another email song again.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

On the plus side I'll never have to hear another email song again.

I’m sorry for your loss

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I'm an adult with a job who gets dozens of hours of entertainment per week (and a backlog of thousands of hours) and am thus ok with chipping in a twenty every month to give the creators of said entertainment compensation for their work.

Weird, I know.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

iajanus posted:

I'm an adult with a job who gets dozens of hours of entertainment per week (and a backlog of thousands of hours) and am thus ok with chipping in a twenty every month to give the creators of said entertainment compensation for their work.

Weird, I know.

I get a new mattress every month, myself.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I mean i don’t care for podcast ad reads but also the McElroys do then better than anyone else. How many great bits have come out of the Money Zone?

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I would say that comparing the maxfun ad breaks to How did this get made or other earwolf shows this is just vastly superior. Usually one ad break in the middle of the show compared to 5 breaks that are just straight ad reads in a live show that they already got ticket money for.

My main complaint is rather the various house cleaning stuff before the final yahoo which sometimes feels like it drags on for an hour but that was an issue before joining Maximum Fun anyway.

Plus I mean you can tell that the McElroy Brothers genuinely like doing the ads so it's not like they are forced to do it by a fiendish Jesse Thorn. I think one of the first bonus episodes they did had them complaining semi-seriously that they didn't get to do a money zone in the episode

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
I grew up watching PBS, so the idea of "having an annual fundraiser wherein the company asks the people who consume their otherwise-free product for money to continue making said product" isn't all that foreign to me.

It's basically how every single company operates: "we make x, you want x, please give us money for x".

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I just don't understand how anyone is particularly pissed off with the maxfundrive stuff considering the ads in a show are all centralised and easy to skip, the presenters actually make the ads entertaining (omg I still love griffin space jam), and they're literally providing hundreds of hours of entertainment for free. If you don't want to pay, cool. Just skip the ads and live your life.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm in the same boat with that other poster who said it would be nice if my donation to maxfun gave ad-free podcast feeds. the gripe comes from being a supporter yet still having to sit through (or skip) ads. i guess i don't listen to or remember any great ad bits in the maxfun stuff i listen to so it doesn't really alleviate the issue.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Any of y’all tried a Casper mattress? I’m in the market

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sounds expensive.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I have a Yogabed. I love it.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Without ads and donations, Clint would have to get a job as a Walmart greeter #thanksobama

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I listen to the ads normally but the max fun drive stuff is something I still don't wanna listen to I guess. I bought tickets for their show last month so I think I'm good on helping the boys out this year haha. I dunno, I've said it before but I don't mind Giant Bomb ad reads even as a subscriber there because they will sometimes take the piss and also end up with some gems. I think I just don't care about every non McElroy show and even when your money can go specifically to the shows you like, it just feels like "Ehhhhhhh".

I think a patreon style thing would be a lot better? I joined up on one podcast's patreon specifically because they said gently caress those podcast ads and then proceeded to dunk on the various services for 3 mins. It was like yea, hell yea :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

iajanus posted:

I just don't understand how anyone is particularly pissed off with the maxfundrive stuff considering the ads in a show are all centralised and easy to skip, the presenters actually make the ads entertaining (omg I still love griffin space jam), and they're literally providing hundreds of hours of entertainment for free. If you don't want to pay, cool. Just skip the ads and live your life.

I don't really like how they're a for-profit business kinda cloaking themselves in non-profit terminology with the .org website and donations and pledge drives. Get a .com and sell me your product.

"Maximum Fun Inc is not a 501(c)(3) charity and donations are not tax-deductible." should not have to be in fine print at the bottom of your webpage lol.