Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Prav posted:

well i mean it's a KV. you shouldn't really be letting go of W in one.

I love when KV's do this when I'm in my O-I. I actually know where to shoot to blow up their engines and set them on fire and I have enough pen to do so at a good angle.

The KV-1 is one of the best tanks though. It's a top-tier monster and ok at lower tiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Prav posted:

yeah that's hellsau for you but we still love him

I loaded up a Batchat, got into a Grand Battle where you straight up cannot get a High Caliber medal and also the only way to actually succeed at that mode is to play super cowardly which I won't ever do. Then I turned Grand Battles off and timed out of the queue trying to get into a battle in the 183. Got into a battle after two minutes more in queue, hit a fully aimed shot, hit two snapshots, missed a fully aimed shot at 100 meters, died.

And now I'm uninstalled. I could probably try to suffer through the Italian Challenge but not if it's taking 7+ minutes to get into a battle.

but yeah i'd chew out anyone dumb enough to let go of their W key in a KV-1 or KV-1S.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

EponymousMrYar posted:

I love when KV's do this when I'm in my O-I. I actually know where to shoot to blow up their engines and set them on fire and I have enough pen to do so at a good angle.

The KV-1 is one of the best tanks though. It's a top-tier monster and ok at lower tiers.

Which gun should I be using? Just seems like I end up out front, can't see anyone, getting shot from everywhere, and dead.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Which gun should I be using? Just seems like I end up out front, can't see anyone, getting shot from everywhere, and dead.

KV-1 is fine with the 85mm, 57mm or 122mm, though the 57mm and 122mm need more judicious use of gold ammo and good shot placement. The KV-1 is also exceptionally blind. 310m view range is atrocious. Walk your KV-1 into whatever part of the map lets you shoot tanks ~100 meters away from you with cover that stops tanks more than 250 meters away from you from having a shot on you.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
anyone have a good video or tutorial on how to play that grand battles map?

the two times i got popped into grand battles i drove around like a headless chicken totally clueless on where to go and seemingly got sniped from across the map or something

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

You Generally have 3 options

A) Find a bush and sit in it playing bush wookies games.
B) Push the south area - Getting killed by Arty while doing it.
C) Go Hill and get sniped by Enemy TD's still in their spawn.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

13 - 15 victory with a base capture :discourse:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BadLlama posted:

You Generally have 3 options

A) Find a bush and sit in it playing bush wookies games.
B) Push the south area - Getting killed by Arty while doing it.
C) Go Hill and get sniped by Enemy TD's still in their spawn.

welp that sounds totally not fun

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I took my IS-7 into the north town and did pretty well for myself shooting tanks

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hellsau posted:

KV-1 is fine with the 85mm, 57mm or 122mm, though the 57mm and 122mm need more judicious use of gold ammo and good shot placement. The KV-1 is also exceptionally blind. 310m view range is atrocious. Walk your KV-1 into whatever part of the map lets you shoot tanks ~100 meters away from you with cover that stops tanks more than 250 meters away from you from having a shot on you.

In addition to this:

I use the 85mm because only good thing about gold ammo is laughing at it bouncing off of you and 120 pen lets you hit weakspots on tier 7's.
Also don't sidescrape in it (it has poor armor for it) and try to cover your driver's hatch.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Agrajag posted:

welp that sounds totally not fun

Fun mode is North, but not too far north otherwise you get artied to hell.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
oops wrong thread

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also don't sidescrape in it (it has poor armor for it)

it's got 75 mm flat on the sides. that's thicker than the glacis LOS

you can pull out a KV-1 at 45° and the thinnest part is still on the front.

EponymousMrYar posted:

and try to cover your driver's hatch.

not a part of the damage model

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Prav posted:

KV-13 in a Tier IX game! GO!

EDIT:

A Handed Missus posted:

13 - 15 victory with a base capture :discourse:

Been there (albeit a good time ago), on Westfield, complete with "Eye for an Eye!" medal vs a the only brave/competent enemy remaining. His Nashorn vs my T-34-85, he almost bamboozled me completely if not for a missed first shot (which lit him up while I was looking the wrong way). He got his second shot off just in time to waste me moments after the cap, 9-15, too little too late because his idiot team put everything they had in my own base to outcap me with ~20 seconds left. He took it well though and cursed his team more than I could curse my own for collapsing like a wet sandcastle.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 14, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

active scouting is way more fun than whatever else you'd be doing in a KV-13

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Hellsau posted:

active scouting is way more fun than whatever else you'd be doing in a KV-13

At that tier, I suppose you're absolutely right.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

donuts in the base. next question

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Hellsau posted:

I could probably try to suffer through the Italian Challenge but not if it's taking 7+ minutes to get into a battle.

Shame you're not on EU. I don't think I can recall the last time I had a queue.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
current event=not worth the time

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Valle posted:

Shame you're not on EU. I don't think I can recall the last time I had a queue.

Oh! If anyone's actually going for this loving spaghetti meme tank (I am, sadly, because I hate myself enough) then unless you're some sort of omnipotent anti-pleb that can dispel the EU playerbase with a mere thought, playing mid-tiers (by which I mean VI and VII w/pref) are the way to go, as retarded as that sounds. All the 45% WR try-hards are up there at Tier VIII - X with the "DURRR HIGH TIERS MORE XP" mindset while I'm happily murdering Tier IV/V players on a regular basis and lapping up that base XP ~800 - 1k per game on a win.

No wait pretend you didn't read that.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Prav posted:

I got over 1000 spotting damage in my kv-1s last night in one game. most of the light tanks seem to die pretty early in tier 4-7 so I end up having to be at the front a lot of the time. just wish traverse speed was a little higher on it so I could get myself out of a bad situation faster

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Oh! If anyone's actually going for this loving spaghetti meme tank (I am, sadly, because I hate myself enough) then unless you're some sort of omnipotent anti-pleb that can dispel the EU playerbase with a mere thought, playing mid-tiers (by which I mean VI and VII w/pref) are the way to go, as retarded as that sounds. All the 45% WR try-hards are up there at Tier VIII - X with the "DURRR HIGH TIERS MORE XP" mindset while I'm happily murdering Tier IV/V players on a regular basis and lapping up that base XP ~800 - 1k per game on a win.

That was my take on it. Most of the non-xp grind missions are bullshit and you'll never get them (or finish them when you're 95% of the way done with the xp grind) so just play tanks you're comfortable with and have a high base xp on.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Btw, if you haven't experienced grand battles and want to see how the t8 version will play out, now is you chance. Every other battle is a grand battle right now from the number of t10 players active for the mission right now.

As for myself, I'm playing t10, but the t10s are my arty. Might as well take a dump on those that are trying to do the t10 missions instead of xp grinding.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Prav posted:

it's got 75 mm flat on the sides. that's thicker than the glacis LOS

you can pull out a KV-1 at 45° and the thinnest part is still on the front.

not a part of the damage model

75mm of flat armor that will get your fuel tanks blown up if they miss your tracks.

And BS it's not part of the damage model. Every time I've had problems penning a KV-1 from the front I've shot it in the driver's port. Every time I've gone 'wtf how are they penning me' there's a suspicious amount of holes around my driver's port.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

what happened to that snowy grand battle map? that one was the poo poo.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

75mm of flat armor that will get your fuel tanks blown up if they miss your tracks.

And BS it's not part of the damage model. Every time I've had problems penning a KV-1 from the front I've shot it in the driver's port. Every time I've gone 'wtf how are they penning me' there's a suspicious amount of holes around my driver's port.

https://tanks.gg/tank/kv-1/model

That blue bit in the front represents (one of) the optics modules, and though it is listed as 0 armor, it is not a weak spot since the armor behind it is still 75mm. The hatch used to be a weakspot, but that was removed some time ago- most people still shoot at it out of habit, since it's a reliable target to aim at.

By switching the tab in the top left to "live" you can also see how angling the tank changes the armor thickness (by default, assuming you're shooting at the the tank with it's own gun). Notice how much you can angle the tank before any part of the side armor is the same color (and therefore chance to pen) as any part of the front.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Steelion posted:

That blue bit in the front represents (one of) the optics modules, and though it is listed as 0 armor, it is not a weak spot since the armor behind it is still 75mm. The hatch used to be a weakspot, but that was removed some time ago- most people still shoot at it out of habit, since it's a reliable target to aim at.

Note that you should never shoot at a driver's slit unless you're absolutely certain it's a weak spot. On some tanks it's modeled and will have a huge armor value due to the shape, on others it's just a 0 damage hit zone. You're better off just shooting something flat.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Steelion posted:

https://tanks.gg/tank/kv-1/model

By switching the tab in the top left to "live" you can also see how angling the tank changes the armor thickness (by default, assuming you're shooting at the the tank with it's own gun). Notice how much you can angle the tank before any part of the side armor is the same color (and therefore chance to pen) as any part of the front.

Oh that explains it. My frame of reference for 'not part of the damage model' is the T29's gigantic turret ears. :v:

Also that site did help settle why I find the KV-1 a poor sidescraper: against the things you really need to sidescrape against you only have about 15-20 degrees to work with before they're going to overpen you anyway (some tier 6's and most tier 7's.)

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Fun fact- the E100 has similar "ears" on the turret, albeit much smaller. The fun part is that unlike the T29, the ears on the E100 do not actually have armor underneath them- if you ever run into an angled E100 at extremely close range, and can't punch through anywhere, aim for the ears- if you shoot them right near where they meet the turret, you'll only have to break through 170mm or so of armor! The little bar on top of the turret is also a weakspot, but that's even harder to hit, especially on short tanks.

This fun fact is not super useful, because the target area is really goddamn tiny, but I have managed to pull it off a couple times- E100 drivers don't tend to move much when they've hunkered down and angled, though, so it's easier than you might think if you're on the other side of a wall or something.

e: also yeah the KV only really has armor against lower tier tanks, unfortunately- although even against those higher tier guns sidescraping around a corner might be your best bet- their guns will go right through the front, but the sides are still thick enough to avoid triple-overmatch mechanics.

Steelion fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 14, 2018

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

The nice thing about this event is you can get 3-5 stages without much effort over the two weeks and then just buy the tank for 30-50% off. Assuming it's not in a stupid bundle or vastly more expensive than regular T8 prems that seems like the best way to get it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

World of Low-Rolls:

Red strike is a killshot so they don't count, but wow. AMX AC 46 using the 100mm gun, and not one shot even breaks the average of 300 damage. 236. What the actual gently caress. Won with a High Caliber anyway (rare top tier game) but this is just loving ridiculous to look at.

Low-rolling was my French TD Experience. It was real easy to see too with 400 alpha, and it was disgusting how often it would happen (i.e. every shot, every battle.) What was pretty reliable though was getting a rare above-average roll, when it didn't matter, e.g. when shooting a target with 500 hp left, I'd hit it for 450. Whoopie, I still have to shoot it twice! Might as well have given me another 350-damage low-roll, not like it would've changed anything, Wargaming! :fuckoff:

World of Tanks: I regret being here

Cartoon posted:

That is a gross slander and completely incorrect. The balance team are sticking the crayons in their bottoms.

Unfortunately, after that the map team eats those same crayons. :a2m: :gonk:

ROFLburger posted:

man i'm just trying to play a video game and have a good time i don't need this

Still get full penned by arty and now you get stunned! Working as intended comrade! :troll:

ROFLburger posted:

sorry you'll have to forgive me i'm having an arty meltdown

You were getting XVM sniped.

Easy enough if you have matchsticks and eyedrops available.

All my French premiums have "TERRIBLE" on them. It's like getting in that final insult when someone explodes, but has to watch me driving around like an idiot for those few seconds afterward with "TERRIBLE" screaming at them in big white letters.

I put TERRIBLE on my BatChat25; it's a reference to my clan wars days. :shobon:

Aramoro posted:

I've never bought shells for gold in the first place but I'm assuming they're trying to push everyone towards playing more games and earning more silver to pay for the gold shells. Though obviously you could just by Silver with Gold then buy shells with that. Interesting to see how they change things though.

serious gaylord posted:

They are pushing ahead with the premium shell 'rebalance' where they do 15% less damage in exchange for the higher pen, much like how HE does more damage for less pen. They couldn't do this while Premium shells are still available for real money, and probably wont be able to for x amount of months while those purchased shells are still in theory in use.

This has the knock on effect of the Type 5's premium coming down to the same damage as the standard round though lmao.

Nah, aside from the fact that there's never been a reason to actually pay for each shell in gold, I'm pretty sure they've been trying to de-couple the shell prices from the gold equivalents. This partially has to do with the "premium" ammo re-balancing, but will have the positive effect of not making tiny 30-damage shells cost 400 credits each.

Hellsau posted:

I mean that mechanic is straight up unbalanceable. Same with the Type 5 HE gun, because of the way the game works it's either WAY too good too often or it does actual nothing and you'd be better off with any random medium.

though that's kind of the point apparently for wargaming given the loving skoda t50 and tvp t51 aren't changed at all yet

If the stock gun (140 mm?) wasn't poo poo then they could just leave that as the only gun option on the Type 4/5 and get rid of the goddamn howitzer. Problem solved.

Can't help you with the T50/51, though!

RanKizama posted:

M3 Lancer TD (British Variant)

Basically a chopped-down M3 with a 17pdr. When please?

This is awesome, although it's basically in the game as the bathtub (S35 CA.) It's pretty much exactly the same thing, with the 17 pdr and the gun's even mounted on the same side. I'd take a Lancer as a tier 5 premium TD though!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

To elaborate on what Hellsau said, the 85 mm is the "proper" gun in that it's the most well-rounded one. The 57 mm is also functional, but it's a peashooter, and you could just play the Church 3 if you wanted a tier 5 HT with a machine-gun. The 122 is more fun but less reliable (in terms of gun handling and damage/pen rolls/results.)

Oh! If anyone's actually going for this loving spaghetti meme tank

It's the Prosciutto.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Oh that explains it. My frame of reference for 'not part of the damage model' is the T29's gigantic turret ears. :v:

Also that site did help settle why I find the KV-1 a poor sidescraper: against the things you really need to sidescrape against you only have about 15-20 degrees to work with before they're going to overpen you anyway (some tier 6's and most tier 7's.)

It's more that aggressively angling the KV-1 makes it very effective when it's top tier, but very ineffective when it's on the bottom. Against tier 7s it has neither a great cannon, armor, or mobility. You still might as well angle it though.

Steelion posted:

Fun fact- the E100 has similar "ears" on the turret, albeit much smaller. The fun part is that unlike the T29, the ears on the E100 do not actually have armor underneath them- if you ever run into an angled E100 at extremely close range, and can't punch through anywhere, aim for the ears- if you shoot them right near where they meet the turret, you'll only have to break through 170mm or so of armor! The little bar on top of the turret is also a weakspot, but that's even harder to hit, especially on short tanks.

The T29 "ears" are the rangefinder. Specifically it's a coincidence/parallax type. You basically point at a target, match the two images (one from each side) and do a little trigonometry to calculate the range. (You know the distance between the two vertices and you've measured the angles.) It's not a hitbox on the T29 because it's an external device, like a driver's periscope or the tracks. It's the same thing on other tanks like the E75, but those are weak spots because you're effectively shooting through them into the turret; they're actually in front of holes in the turret, and if you were to skim a shot across one it would also do 0 damage for the same reason as on the T29.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Right, but the T29's ears actually have armor underneath them instead of 0 armor areas.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Steelion posted:

Right, but the T29's ears actually have armor underneath them instead of 0 armor areas.

Working as intended comrade! :troll:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ROFLburger posted:

what happened to that snowy grand battle map? that one was the poo poo.

It was terrible so they didn't bother to update it into HD, despite it only coming out like 2 months before HD maps. The current grand battle map has been changed a lot since it was first put in too, its no longer completely poo poo, just mostly poo poo.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Steelion posted:

Remember when they didn't? That was hilarious. If you weren't in the T29 anyway.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The two new Soviet T10s.

(Object 277 looks dope as gently caress)

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 14, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Can I get an invite into pansy? I wanna play this awful game with awful people again. IGN: buglord

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
soon theres gonna be double russian tanks than germans have, I WANT MORE USA TANKS BECAUSE IM AMERICAN AND THEY SHOULD BE THE STRONGEST

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 14, 2018

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Ah they're finally giving the russians some turreted td's.

Also I got the E50 and I love it. Its a Panther with bullshitanium side armour so I'm pulling some absurd side scraping games. Also I'm running it with the Long 88 as it pumps out an absurd amount of laser fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Mesadoram posted:

The two new Soviet T10s.

Oh good, the Soviet tree is so short on T10s.