Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I haven't actually seen a cooking anime but I think that's something I'm supposed to be annoyed by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Motto posted:

I haven't actually seen a cooking anime but I think that's something I'm supposed to be annoyed by.

It's illegal to be annoyed by it, sorry.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Isekai Shokudou was good, even if some people didn't appreciate it. :colbert:

I'd definitely recommend it over this so far but this seems to be going for the Shokugeki EXPLOSIVE reactions over Shokudou's more relaxed tone. Also Izakaya is a 10 minute short.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

There's been a couple japanese restaurants in fantasy land novels/comics but I think Nobu was the first one, mostly.

I'm pretty sure....

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

When are they gonna sub the cooking papa anime

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Motto posted:

Is it another show about fantasy people flipping out over generic Japanese food

yeah it's great

Knorth posted:

Has there been more than one of those?

And yes, pretty much.

Restaurant to Another World, it was great

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The new FMP is off to a strong start. I'll admit i was slightly worried that all the robots were gonna be CG but I was pleasantly surprised by how smoothly they moved, and they're cel-shaded enough to not look particularly out of place. The show looks quite good in general, and there were a few moments of 2d animation that looked particularly impressive. I am sad however that they're seemingly skipping over "A Dancing Very Merry Christmas" but I can understand why.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

I had an urge to watch Wotakoi but I was in the middle of a serious Lou Reed binge so I put it on at like 30% volume. Didn't like the VAs at first but they grew on me. It seems to be pretty much exactly the comic and I have the exact same problems with it as the comic so I'll just keep reading it instead. Successfully continuing No Show Spring.

Hmm what are your problems w/the comic? I would like a longer story arc vs mini-stories w/the cast like the date chapter was cute :sigh:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
The longer I read it the more weird it feels to be reading a story with constant jokes about gay characters as a niche nerd interest thing, and no actual gay characters. The girls come off as really bi to me but like, the story doesn't make this enough of a thing to alleviate that problem. (I'd usually be really into a couple with a guy who looks like a metro gay and a girl who looks like a dumpy nerd guy, but that also feels weird in this context) And every thing with fujo jokes does the two women almost come to blows over whether a guy is a top or bottom which is like, a weird thing to feel so strongly about, to me, but whatever I've laughed at every other series that's done that joke. But there's one page in Wotakoi that is just over the moon loving weird to me and reading that probably made me harsher on all the other problems I have with it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i hadn't thought of it that way but that's very reasonable

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
All the after chapter illustrations of the mean green one are extremely Good Content though

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I want Koyanagi to be voiced by Yuu Kobayashi, but I think she is not.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I can't find the page in question but it's an omake thing where the redhead goes like "I won't buy doujins with guro, rape or reversal (switching according to TL note)" and uh, it's extremely weird to compare normal and common gay sexual dynamics to guro and rape just imo

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
She is voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro, who is perfect

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

DisDisDis posted:

I can't find the page in question but it's an omake thing where the redhead goes like "I won't buy doujins with guro, rape or reversal (switching according to TL note)" and uh, it's extremely weird to compare normal and common gay sexual dynamics to guro and rape just imo

Huh, that is weird

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

DisDisDis posted:

the page in question

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
That's bit less weird in context I guess, can see why it'd be an issue though

Also cements Koyanagi as the best, I thought that might be the case.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

yeah that seems like "weirdly uptight shipper" rather than authorial equivocation

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

DisDisDis posted:

*looks into the camera and makes a face like Jim from the office*

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Space Flower posted:

Lol

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Motto posted:

yeah that seems like "weirdly uptight shipper" rather than authorial equivocation

It's weird in the same way the seme uke arguments are weird, just like, significantly more weird

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Space Flower posted:

I don't know what this means I'm sorry

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

It's weird in the same way the seme uke arguments are weird, just like, significantly more weird

I mean, I totally agree it's something that weirds me out immensely, but it is a thing and the whole gimmick is that they're various strains of weird otaku, but dating.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there are no gay people in the series because any sensible gay person would run screaming in the other direction after hearing one of these bits

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

counterexample: the chat thread

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Motto posted:

I mean, I totally agree it's something that weirds me out immensely, but it is a thing and the whole gimmick is that they're various strains of weird otaku, but dating.

But that's the thing, it's not critical of their behavior at all and they're also not particularly weird, outside of this one thing. Like, Hirotaka is kind of expressionless and blunt and prefers being alone and playing videogames a lot of the time, but still socializes regularly. They all seem like well adjusted adults with nerdy interests. That's pretty normal from my perspective. So it feels like it's as normalizing to this attitude. And it just extra bothers me in context of my other issues with it.
Like imagine if there was an omake with the scary face guy going "I won't buy yuri doujins where their love continues after highschool." There's probably yuri nerds like that, would still feel real odd to read in this comic and leave you with a pretty bad taste I imagine.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

that sort of character would make me uncomfortable inherently tbh.

e: I dunno what my train of thought is at this point, but that omake basically seemed like playing out a stereotype I've seen elsewhere (fighting over pairing orders is a pretty stock one), so it doesn't come across as a unique excess of the author even if it sucks and could well be inaccurate for all I know. It'd definitely be nice if there was a character to go "uhhhhhhh" though for sure.

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 14, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The true wotakoi would be without the koi and would also be one chapter where nothing happens.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I really like Gurazeni. It's a baseball show that entirely focuses on a mid-level pitcher and his money problems, which skews the perspective to the point where it rarely even tells you if his team is winning. Everything is filtered through if it's good for his carrier or not, and you get the sense that everyone around him is in their own little bubbles in the same kind of way, and it's how all that fits together.

It kind feels like a Fukumoto manga at times, but it's also kinda chipper about how everyone is reduced to how much they make. It's a funny tone and I like it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/nickisnixed/status/985021355237302273?s=19

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wotakoi kinda rubs me the wrong way not really for any woke reason but just because the central joke to its existence isnt really commentary on nerd stuff like genshiken or whatever its just the fact that nerd stuff exists and otherwise normal people are into it. like isnt it wacky that a person works a soulsucking office job and then finds some small comfort in reading touken ranbu fanfiction or whatever. haha.

and its like, nooot really? im not even accusing it of cyberbullying just like, thats a thing hundreds of thousands of people do. whats the joke. what do you have to say.

itd be like reading a manga where the central joke is that a bunch of office workers get together to, idk, gently caress around with model trains on weekends, and there's no jokes outside of that or building on that and there's no like, investment into why they're into trains, its just 50 chapters of 'i like this train' *sitcom laugh track* 'well i like THIS train' *sitcom laugh track, but louder*

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The new FMP looked better than I thought it would but I'm not sure I'm ready for an all serious FMP plot in 2018 especially since what I've read of the manga/LN scans didn't really excite me

Also I really wanted Sosuke and Chidori to just run from everyone as a plot point so we could get some Fummofu level humour

Hinamatsuri 2 was great and while I thought nothing could touch the first half the second half final bit when Hina suggested going to the club was just A+

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

wotakoi kinda rubs me the wrong way not really for any woke reason but just because the central joke to its existence isnt really commentary on nerd stuff like genshiken or whatever its just the fact that nerd stuff exists and otherwise normal people are into it. like isnt it wacky that a person works a soulsucking office job and then finds some small comfort in reading touken ranbu fanfiction or whatever. haha.

and its like, nooot really? im not even accusing it of cyberbullying just like, thats a thing hundreds of thousands of people do. whats the joke. what do you have to say.

itd be like reading a manga where the central joke is that a bunch of office workers get together to, idk, gently caress around with model trains on weekends, and there's no jokes outside of that or building on that and there's no like, investment into why they're into trains, its just 50 chapters of 'i like this train' *sitcom laugh track* 'well i like THIS train' *sitcom laugh track, but louder*

I'm making the train 4koma real and will not be stopped.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

I don't think there's a joke it's just a romance about 2 couples of nerdy adults who work in an office together. Most of the jokes are about their nerd interests because the target audience is nerdy adults, I think. They all come off very normal and well adjusted and they tease each other about their interests sometimes but I never get the sense that I'm supposed to be laughing at them rather than with them.

Motto posted:

that sort of character would make me uncomfortable inherently tbh.

e: I dunno what my train of thought is at this point, but that omake basically seemed like playing out a stereotype I've seen elsewhere (fighting over pairing orders is a pretty stock one), so it doesn't come across as a unique excess of the author even if it sucks and could well be inaccurate for all I know. It'd definitely be nice if there was a character to go "uhhhhhhh" though for sure.

yeah I take the pairing order stuff in stride because it's a trope (tho it bothers me less in kuragehime and that one reverse harem, I guess because they're about shut in nerds and teenagers respectively. e;oh theyre both a lot less het in their own way too) But that particular bit just felt like a bombshell to me for whatever reason, compounded by how I feel about how it deals with this stuff generally.

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 14, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I never saw it as their hobbies were supposed to be The Joke more than in some sense (perhaps just wishful on the audience's part) validation that people with such hobbies are not alone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i don't even really get 'laughing at them' so much as just, like, it kind of paces itself like a comedy in some ways. at the very least its genre would be 'romcom.' theres just no jokes.

and it seems more interested in surface level jokes than like, actually talking about these subcultures. idk. genshiken was good

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
No I mean it's definitely a comedy but the take isn't "lol, look at these people who like videogames and manga, fcuking nerds" it's "lol, I too am a nerd." It's fair to say it's just a pretty drama/development free romance with nerd jokes but I think it's a good execution of that and not at all malicious.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not accusing it of being malicious!!!!! gently caress!

im just saying the fact that nerd stuff exists isnt enough of a joke to me and theres no interesting commentary, information, or analysis of these subcultures or why they exist. this stuff is very interesting and layered and ties into japan's cultural history and the history of its post-war reformation, its brand of feminism, and its homosexual communities in a variety of ways, and just tossing it in there unseasoned by any of that is very boring to me.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 14, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
well, fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tired: shipping jokes
wired: the lady who's made 70 doujins about the wolf touhou as a weird form of validating her own ainu heritage

• Locked thread