Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I was gonna jokingly ask "so which side is Caro fighting on this time :haw: " before I realized I haven't caught up with the mideast thread of despair in years, so I did a quick check on Caro on the SAclopedia and, uh, a lot has happened since the last time I heard of him :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Google Butt posted:

What's oan?

OAN = One America News, which is Fox News in a world where our Fox News is Public Broadcasting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_America_News_Network

their man in damascus tweeted just hours ago about how safe and wonderful it is there. now america is shelling it

SexyBlindfold posted:

I was gonna jokingly ask "so which side is Caro fighting on this time :haw: " before I realized I haven't caught up with the mideast thread of despair in years, so I did a quick check on Caro on the SAclopedia and, uh, a lot has happened since the last time I heard of him :stare:

yeah turns out he's alive which blew everyone's mind and he's in the us probably undergoing intensive therapy, or homeless again

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Can't post this enough about the US military

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L20kfTHv5Vc

Those missiles are loving expensive.

Nothus posted:

Faster than a B-52? Yes, very much so. But if nobody can shoot back, the B-52 is cheaper to operate and hauls more ordinance.

There's a reason Carter tried to cancel them.

The B-1 is a nuclear sprint bomber, a concept that was obsolete before the first B-1 was delivered.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

This is already loving horrid but I hope somehow cooler heads prevail everywhere else so it's not continued or escalated.

You are alright.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

BTW, if you're not watching the Infowars WW3 livestream, his guest was claiming that the Syrian War is an attempt by the Military-Industrial Complex to keep us from going to space.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

As long as not boots on ground what’s elegant trunk save his dick around and no okra on ground

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

BTW, if you're not watching the Infowars WW3 livestream, his guest was claiming that the Syrian War is an attempt by the Military-Industrial Complex to keep us from going to space.

Terrible if true.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

God why do we even fuxking care they killed 5000 of us like 15 god drat years ago I think we’re even wmxan we gently caress off from the Middle East now thanks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

boner confessor posted:

OAN = One America News, which is Fox News in a world where our Fox News is Public Broadcasting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_America_News_Network

their man in damascus tweeted just hours ago about how safe and wonderful it is there. now america is shelling it

yeah turns out he's alive which blew everyone's mind and he's in the us probably undergoing intensive therapy, or homeless again

Yeah I was pretty out of the loop, the last thing I had heard was the bit about him having a meltdown, being detained at the Turkish border and sent back to the US, so I had just kind of assumed it had a half-happy ending and that was that. I missed the homelessness, return to Syria, his track being lost, being assumed to have died in a torture camp, and being sent back to the US again, by the Syrian government this time. I hope he's getting therapy now.

Just finding out that his stories of fighting in Libya hadn't been a fever dream but that he had in fact come a few blocks away from Gadaffi's final hideout was a shock, I didn't expect there to be so many more chapters to this :psyduck:

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

TyrantWD posted:

I wouldn't pay much attention to Russia's response to this strike. Last time we did this they pulled the same "there will be consequences" garbage, and by Monday noon, had forgotten what happened like the rest of us. Even the Syrian government seems to be taking the whole getting bombed thing relatively well.

The fact is there isn't a whole lot Russia can do about it. In a direct military confrontation with the US/NATO Russia loses hard and they know it, which is why they use proxies in the first place. This isn't a RAH RAH :911: post, just pointing out Russia isn't going to nuke the US over loving Syria.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

Elon Musk should sue.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Maybe I’m wrong but wouldn’t the Syria strike tonight have happened in much the same manner under Clinton/Obama/anyone? Chem/Bio/Nukes are a no-go and France and the UK being involved in limited strikes suggests to me this wasn’t a trump/Bolton off the cuff thing. I don’t know that it’s the right course of action but I can see any administration doing the same thing.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
Revenge is a poor motivator. There are better things.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
It's very small solace, but I'm enjoying the idea in my head that Trump probably didn't enjoy this particular bombing unlike the other one.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Nothus posted:

Faster than a B-52? Yes, very much so. But if nobody can shoot back, the B-52 is cheaper to operate and hauls more ordinance.

There's a reason Carter tried to cancel them.

The B-1 actually carries more ordnance than the B-52, though you are right that the Stratofortress is generally cheaper to operate. :mil101:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

squirrelzipper posted:

Maybe I’m wrong but wouldn’t the Syria strike tonight have happened in much the same manner under Clinton/Obama/anyone? Chem/Bio/Nukes are a no-go and France and the UK being involved in limited strikes suggests to me this wasn’t a trump/Bolton off the cuff thing. I don’t know that it’s the right course of action but I can see any administration doing the same thing.

We don't know yet. It sounds like this was a large strike and partially in heavily populated civilian areas. It is extremely likely that any president would have done something, but there are certainly degrees and levels of caution.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

TealShark posted:

I figured he must have changed his tune as a co-worker of mine who has been vehemently pro-Trump suddenly turned on him yesterday spouting the "compromised," "the rebels launch the chemical attack" and other talking points almost exactly.

chuds almost immediately turned to that and idk where the talking point came from.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

chuds almost immediately turned to that and idk where the talking point came from.

Russia.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

squirrelzipper posted:

Yes. This sort of thing happens under every President of either party. People getting bent out of shape about it are being drama queens.

We have the capability to respond to these sorts of things, so it means as much if we do or if we don't respond. The message sent and consequences of not responding are usually worse than when we do.

We're not about to degrade our military to the level of Sweden so we don't have a choice, as much as some ideologues in the thread would like us to. Having a world-power projecting military is part of who we are and using it as well as not using it are moral choices with consequences either way.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheAPJournalist/status/984993131916652544

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Is there a way to finagle the BBcode so that Alex Jones crying is the new thread title?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Charliegrs posted:

Lol I highly doubt Trump gives a poo poo about dead Arab babies. He only cares about hitting Syria when they use chemical weapons because Obama wouldn't do it when he was in office.

Dudes a loving moron who believes anything he sees and is probably suffering from developing mental disease. Last time he wasn't very up in arms about the attack until Ivanka showed him pictures, this time he also saw pictures. The conclusion isn't that he cares about Syrian babies, it's that pictures of dead people stir that tiny fragment of humanity trapped in his black heart and make him feel bad. Feeling bad causes him to want to lash out, and as the President of the United States lashing out means he gets to bomb the poo poo out of things.

He isn't developing empathy or reexamining his choices and world view. He's lashing out with as little planning as possible so he can feel good, not because he's actually trying to do good but because smashing things feels good. The crime to Donny isn't that Assad killed people, it's that Donny had to see the carnage. This is one of the few cases of him doing things without regard to showing Obama up. Donny feel something not good, Donny SMASH! It's just a different variation on his intense self centered ego that also causes him to go off on idiotic attacks against those he thinks have wronged him politically and in business.

The only difference between Assad and Bezos is that Assad actually did something and Donny can't lob missiles at Bezos.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Checking in over at ol' Free Republic, and it seems Trump is losing them too...

quote:

Trump is finished on Friday 13. I am now totally supporting cruz/ paul. I will lose.i don’t give a $hit. I will NEVER support that lying son of a bitch again. I just burned my hat and shot the bobble head with a glock 9 mm. What fun. We are totally f69ed.

It's not held amongst all of them, but a fair few are thinking like this. I am guessing Alex Jones got to them too.

They are very afraid that Michael Cohen might have actually gone to Prague after all, despite having done so, because it gives legitimacy to the Steele Dossier, and man, they don't want any portion of that to be true at all.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/984999142110920706

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Deteriorata posted:

Yes. This sort of thing happens under every President of either party. People getting bent out of shape about it are being drama queens.

We have the capability to respond to these sorts of things, so it means as much if we do or if we don't respond. The message sent and consequences of not responding are usually worse than when we do.

We're not about to degrade our military to the level of Sweden so we don't have a choice, as much as some ideologues in the thread would like us to. Having a world-power projecting military is part of who we are and using it as well as not using it are moral choices with consequences either way.

While I have some reservations about whether a Trump administration can handle this appropriately, use of chemical weapons is Very Bad and Should Be Discouraged.

too bad Russia is a permanent Security Council member, but I understand the reason that designation exists

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
and when I say I have some reservations, I mean I would be stunned if the number of pointlessly dead civilians is merely in the dozens

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

That other guy looks so uncomfortable.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

"I shouldn't even be on air right now"
- Alex Jones, after screaming the word gently caress seven times in the span of a single sentence

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ralepozozaxe posted:

It's very small solace, but I'm enjoying the idea in my head that Trump probably didn't enjoy this particular bombing unlike the other one.

Nah, dude definitely enjoys the power to destroy things on his whim. The part he didn't enjoy was the long period where he kept talking about how hard he was going to blow things up while Britain and France were being huge buzz kills with their dumb planning things out bullshit. Doing things is fun, thinking about the best/proper way to do things is boring and no fun and there's no booms.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Arrgytehpirate posted:

As long as not boots on ground what’s elegant trunk save his dick around and no okra on ground

:same:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

"I shouldn't even be on air right now"
- Alex Jones, after screaming the word gently caress seven times in the span of a single sentence

somebody get this man a hearty bowl of chili

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

LegendaryFrog posted:

It was actually the song "You can't always get what you want".
I'm sure he's used "It's the end of the world as we know it..."
... uh... maybe at a rally..?

Fake edit: Yep, here you go..

Rolling Stone posted:

"Go gently caress yourselves, the lot of you — you sad, attention-grabbing, power-hungry little men," R.E.M. frontman Michael Stipe said (via bassist Mike Mills' Twitter page). "Do not use our music or my voice for your moronic charade of a campaign."

The statement was in response to Donald Trump using one of the group's songs at a Washington, D.C. rally Wednesday afternoon. Trump and fellow presidential nominee Ted Cruz appeared together at the rally to lambast President Obama and the recent nuclear deal with Iran alongside Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck. During his intro, Trump came out to R.E.M.'s 1987 hit "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)," presumably to reinforce his thoughts on the effects of the Iran deal.

And here's some video from CSPAN
https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4550293/donald-trump-introduced-anti-iran-deal-rally-its-end-world

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Syrian government says targets were evacuated days ago. Bullshit or no?

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1HL07R

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lycus posted:

who knows, but it would be the smart thing to do so probably true

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Lycus posted:

Who knows. We'll see if he uses any more chemical weapons.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lycus posted:

"Ha, ha - you missed" is a pretty standard response. The military will make their own assessments and report back soon.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Lycus posted:

No real reason to think it's bullshit right? If the Russians knew the targets, of course they would have told Assad

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lycus posted:

lol this is just gonna be a yearly thing now, isn't it? Every April, Trump's gonna bomb the poo poo out of an empty parking lot in Syria to cover up a news story he doesn't like.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
With these missiles launched I'm not too sure Trump colluded with Russia anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Gaunab posted:

With these missiles launched I'm not too sure Trump colluded with Russia anymore.

This seems like an odd conclusion

• Locked thread