Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Ceciltron posted:

My dude if you are confusing permission with non-interference on account of grammar I don't know what to tell you.

Well considering forums poster therobit didn't have any actual power over the situation (I'm assuming) and the US did in fact intervene, then saying Iran needed permission (and didn't get it) from the West is pretty accurate. That's what he's talking about, not making a grammatical argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Peven Stan is saying that the problem is that the west is militarily strong enough to intervene, not making any kind of moral statement. He's taking the viewpoint of non-western-backed dictators. To be fair, it's a underappreciated viewpoint.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

hypnophant posted:

Peven Stan is saying that the problem is that the west is militarily strong enough to intervene, not making any kind of moral statement. He's taking the viewpoint of non-western-backed dictators. To be fair, it's a underappreciated viewpoint.

Sometimes I’m sympathetic. Of course we can all denounce dictators and authoritarian governments everywhere.

My biggest pet peeve is when western backed dictatorships gets a free pass in the interest of geopolitics and everyone’s quiet about it. There’s barely any reflection or discussion about past transgressions. How the gently caress does Michael Bolton get to be back on the job.

And sign the god drat land mine treaty everyone

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

Sometimes I’m sympathetic. Of course we can all denounce dictators and authoritarian governments everywhere.

My biggest pet peeve is when western backed dictatorships gets a free pass in the interest of geopolitics and everyone’s quiet about it. There’s barely any reflection or discussion about past transgressions. How the gently caress does Michael Bolton get to be back on the job.

And sign the god drat land mine treaty everyone

What's done is done and we need to move forward, cabe.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh and I went to a few factories in Shenzhen and Dong Guan this week. I saw a spray painting facility which supplies the painting for all the Chinese factories of a global Swedish furniture brand.

Turns out mandated minimum wage in Shenzhen is around 2110 rmb a month and dongguan is 1770 rmb a month.

But you can’t hire anyone to work in the factories with this pay so it’s “inflated” to around 4K in dongguan - uglier /shitter /hazardous factories pay more.

I got a car ride back to Hong Kong last night because I wanted to clean my house before my CHINESE wife comes back from China. I’m on a morning train to an expo in Guangzhou and it’s a nice cheap comfortable train which arrives on time.

Yes there are muted dumb silly propaganda videos of BNR and silly dancing. I also got a little cranky this morning and told off at a small time Italian douchebag business expat for his bad etiquette in the train (with the support of the train staff of course). Crossing customs with biometric ID is a breeze but post security theatre is dumb.

But I’m mentioning this train ride and work trip because Fojar can read about decent public transportation and identity issue self loathing Pevan Uncle loving Wongstan can jerk off in his mother’s basement in armpit USA about people who actually live in China making a decent living.

While weirdo goons like GTA can just in the sidelines and say that’s “cool buddy let me buy you a beer” and post “lol”

caberham fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 13, 2018

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Is the US even backing any dictators other than the Saudis any more? Even they're not (well, barely) getting a free pass with the Yemen situation, and at least the last administration was trying to put a little pressure on them

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

caberham posted:

I'm something of a believer in what might be called trident theory: horseshoe theory isn't so much wrong as incomplete, because there are authoritarians in the center too. One form this centrist authoritarianism takes is apologia for Saudi Arabia by comfortable American op-ed writers. Another form, to relate this back to the thread topic, is Tom Friedman's "China for a day" fantasies.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hypnophant posted:

Is the US even backing any dictators other than the Saudis any more? Even they're not (well, barely) getting a free pass with the Yemen situation, and at least the last administration was trying to put a little pressure on them

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/42020-us-provides-military-assistance-to-73-percent-of-world-s-dictatorships

e: lol at "Even they're not (well, barely) getting a free pass with the Yemen situation, and at least the last administration was trying to put a little pressure on them"... the US is providing weapons and logistics and has actually put troops on the ground

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 13, 2018

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

hypnophant posted:

It's primarily Saudi Arabia, but I believe the US still gives some military aid to Egypt as well, for one. And "a little pressure" is being overly generous; the Obama administration gave Saudi Arabia an almost completely free hand there. There does seem to finally be some movement in Congress against what Saudi Arabia is doing in Yemen, but not a majority yet.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

fart simpson posted:

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/42020-us-provides-military-assistance-to-73-percent-of-world-s-dictatorships

e: lol at "Even they're not (well, barely) getting a free pass with the Yemen situation, and at least the last administration was trying to put a little pressure on them"... the US is providing weapons and logistics and has actually put troops on the ground

Having reviewed that link, I'm comfortable with what I said. A few hundred thousand dollars worth of arms sales and some token IMET training does not support for a dictatorship make.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 23, 2021

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

sincx posted:

One could argue that the US provides hundreds of billions of dollars of net annual support to the biggest dictatorship in the world...

One can argue whatever you want, it gets a bit tricky though with made up "facts".
Good Luck with that.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hypnophant posted:

Having reviewed that link, I'm comfortable with what I said. A few hundred thousand dollars worth of arms sales and some token IMET training does not support for a dictatorship make.

Yes it does, especially for a country that claims to support & encourage the spread of democracy around the world

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The US 100% still supports dictators, has done, will continue to do it, but we promise to feel bad about it sometimes

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
a discussion about how bad USA is...in the..

*rubs eyes*

CHINA D&D THREAD!?!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The Great Autismo! posted:

*rubs eyes*

CHINA D&D THREAD!?!

It’s hard to overstate how bad America is so it’s understandable

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

*rubs eyes*

CHINA D&D THREAD!?!

This is the thread where we discuss how similar China is to the US, so it holds up.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

fart simpson posted:

The US is not sending any money to support the Chinese dictatorship? Sad!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

need

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

I mean nerd

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
Meanwhile, in Beijing, the government is accelerating the construction of special zones to better house and keep the foreigners all together in the same place...

The Global Times posted:

China's capital city issued an official document on April 2 aiming to attract more foreign talents to live and work in the Chinese capital.

The document indicated that construction of international communities will be accelerated in Beijing as part of plan to create a better environment for foreigners.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

yay, more bubbles for the worst people on the planet to coalesce

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

R. Guyovich posted:

No, you misunderstand, the zones aren't for old Chinese people

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

R. Guyovich posted:

I didn’t know fart simpson was moving to Beijing

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Though to be fair, "international zones" are a terrible idea for terrible people. If you want to live with Western people in the same kind of luxury you had in your own country, then why the gently caress are you in China??

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

I didn’t know fart simpson was moving to Beijing

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Trammel posted:

Meanwhile, in Beijing, the government is accelerating the construction of special zones to better house and keep the foreigners all together in the same place...

Is this the zone no toddlers with open making GBS threads pants is allowed? Lol.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Pee is stored in the balls?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I read this thread to educate myself.

I know very little about china, and I think is important to get some information from that area of the world.

The in-fighting in this thread confuse me. But I think is a small price we have to pay to fight propaganda or biased opinions.

I am thankful to everyone in this thread for giving these small snippets of vision of what is china and whats goin on in china.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

You’re welcome mate

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tei posted:

I read this thread to educate myself.

Friend, you’ve come to the right place.

fart simpson posted:

Pee is stored in the balls

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Darkest Auer posted:

Though to be fair, "international zones" are a
terrible idea for terrible people. If you want to live with Western people in the same kind of luxury you had in your own country, then why the gently caress are you in China??

To make a ridiculous amount of money, why the gently caress else would someone work overseas.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GlassEye-Boy posted:

To make a ridiculous amount of money, why the gently caress else would someone work overseas.

Criminal history

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Criminal history

The French Foreign Legion is always hiring.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I read it as, why would you go to China to work in a fancy ghetto that could pass for any major Western city and has mainly other white people when you get have the authentic experience by renting an apartment like anyone else.

I also imagine it's harder to date locals if you're segregated off to a Legation city.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Raenir Salazar posted:

I read it as, why would you go to China to work in a fancy ghetto that could pass for any major Western city and has mainly other white people when you get have the authentic experience by renting an apartment like anyone else.

Yeah, it's this. If you live in an "international zone" you get all the bad parts of China (shoddy construction, pollution, terrible infrastructure etc.) and none of the good (food, daily markets, normal daily life etc.).

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So basically the latest idea that China has stolen from the US is San Francisco

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies

Darkest Auer posted:

Yeah, it's this. If you live in an "international zone" you get all the bad parts of China (shoddy construction, pollution, terrible infrastructure etc.) and none of the good (food, daily markets, normal daily life etc.).

You’ve kind of described Ürümqi in the past couple of years.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Can we have the Shanghai International Settlement be a thing again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Great post/username combo there