Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm kinda surprised multiplayer wasn't an option, seems like a lot about the game would lend itself towards that. Just put player 2 in the second seat of Lifepod 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

imagine trolling in multiplayer.

Building long lines of tubes to people bases, crushing them as the intergity drops.

Prawn suit rumbles in the leviathan pits...

Make it like dark souls multiplayer lol.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
It would give the game more replayability too.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Would it be possible to make a procedurally generated map?

The only thing stopping my from a 2nd play through is i know the leviathins arent scary once you get a prawn suit.

The prawn suit is easy to get.

As soon as you need to go into the deeper areas you've already finished the game really :/

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wouldn’t mind seeing some kind of randomizer à la Sunless Sea: biomes are divided into groups, each of which has a determined ranged, but the exact location of each biome is shuffled within that group.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s what it was originally and it was too hard for them to do. The game basically implodes itself as it is even with a small static map.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I remember when I bought this game it was underwater Minecraft with terrain sculpting and such. It ran like poo poo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm kinda surprised multiplayer wasn't an option, seems like a lot about the game would lend itself towards that. Just put player 2 in the second seat of Lifepod 5.

Subnautica remembers locations of nearly every item in the game. This is kinda unnecessary and likely why save files get gigantic, but it's admirable they tried that. It means multiplayer is real hard to implement though.

I don't know if I'd say it's a small map. It's what, a few miles in every direction, even down?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

And up, according to people that had their stuff thrown around.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
The current map - or the playable area in it, anyhow - is about 2km square. The deepest reaches are at what, 1700 meters down, and I wanna say the mountain island is about 100 meters up at best, so really the whole useable playing area fits roughly in a 2km cube. That doesn't seem much if you compare it to the Minecraft world, for example, but it's still a *lot* of stuff to keep track of.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Wasn't someone ITT working on the popin? What happened with that?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Wasn't someone ITT working on the popin? What happened with that?

I think this might be dependent on your computer, better computers can see farther because they have a better video card and more ram and therefore there can be more things on screen at once.

On another note I don't know why people are complaining about depleting the ocean of fish.
I went out with a propulsion cannon and within 15 minutes filled up 5 glass lockers full of fish.

Fish are loving everywhere in the ocean. And if you are worried about fish dying out, you have alien containment where you can breed MORE FISH, and those fish make MORE FISH. The only two fish you need are stalkers (for their teeth), and either peepers or reingalds (for food), water/salt is produced using the electrolysis water filter for all your water/salt needs. Everything else can be eaten, rammed with your cyclops/seamoth, drill/punch, or stasis gunned then stabbed.

Does anyone know if hull reinforcement modules stack?

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

SugarAddict posted:

Does anyone know if hull reinforcement modules stack?

They do, but if if I'm remembering correctly hull reinforcement modules are actually quite shite. They don't make the vehicle more resistant to damage in general, they make it more resistant to damage from terrain collisions only. So, pretty much useless for the prawn, and only useful for the seamoth if your driving is garbo

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Jawnycat posted:

They do, but if if I'm remembering correctly hull reinforcement modules are actually quite shite. They don't make the vehicle more resistant to damage in general, they make it more resistant to damage from terrain collisions only. So, pretty much useless for the prawn, and only useful for the seamoth if your driving is garbo

:aaa: :negative: all this time I've had them and they don't do anything useful.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Given Reefbacks can have tigerplants growing on them, I'm going to imagine that Reefback got sick of someone's poo poo and unleashed the Death Blossom Maneuver.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Subnautica remembers locations of nearly every item in the game. This is kinda unnecessary and likely why save files get gigantic, but it's admirable they tried that. It means multiplayer is real hard to implement though.

I don't know if I'd say it's a small map. It's what, a few miles in every direction, even down?

This makes me wonder what kind of voodoo bethesda uses to keep save files from exploding. I remember in morrowind at least loading saves started to get significantly longer if you had looted a lot of houses

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
There is no strict reason for subnautica to run so bad and degrade as it does. The number of entities to keep track of is reasonable. The amount of terrain and its decorations required to render is not that intense. It runs poorly probably because it is poorly made.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

double nine posted:

This makes me wonder what kind of voodoo bethesda uses to keep save files from exploding. I remember in morrowind at least loading saves started to get significantly longer if you had looted a lot of houses

Bethesda save files tend to get pretty large too. They're for all intents and purposes treated the same as mods, just loaded last on top of all the rest, and they contain all the changes you've made to the world.

Both the OG Xbox version of Morrowind and PS3 version of Skyrim have had game-breaking bugs related to save files getting too large for limited console RAM.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

SugarAddict posted:

I think this might be dependent on your computer, better computers can see farther because they have a better video card and more ram and therefore there can be more things on screen at once.

It's the same with literally any system spec, bizarrely. Been that way for ages. There's a mod out there that gets rid of it but at some sort of performance cost. Someone here posted about working on it too. The devs don't seem likely to try.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
Here we are at 6m

Here we are at 2952m

I don't know why I did this

I guess I live here now :shrug:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Soho Joe posted:

Here we are at 6m

Here we are at 2952m

I don't know why I did this

I guess I live here now :shrug:

deeply upsetting

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Keep going. I think you hit bottom at something like 6000m.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I was trying to build my way back into space but I guess that's pretty good too.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost

Skippy McPants posted:

Keep going. I think you hit bottom at something like 6000m.

[extremely robot lady voice] Previous studies indicate that you will be far more comfortable if you do not activate a light source.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wait. Is that...under subnautica? :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Holy poo poo, I thought you were using the console to move around and spawn base parts, but I just noticed the long tunnel on your base.

Did you seriously go out to the dead zone and physically build down that far? :psyduck:

e: also, I thought leviathans will attack bases?

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought you were using the console to move around and spawn base parts, but I just noticed the long tunnel on your base.

Did you seriously go out to the dead zone and physically build down that far? :psyduck:

e: also, I thought leviathans will attack bases?

I'm doing the actual building in Creative mode, but let's see what happens if I go back to Survival and call up a bunch of friends!

It looks and sounds extremely cursed but they aren't biting my stuff. Maybe being in the void is the problem

Ghosts only spawn in the void, so that's one less thing to be screaming at me from the darkness

Here we are, directly under the Dunes (I am under an unexplored area on my map and you can see my thousand foot corridor in the back)

None of these things want to bite my base!

fine if you wont break my stuff you can just break each other

Conclusion: leviathans can't actually harm your base. It flooded after several minutes because of the -1900 hull reinforcement.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Soho Joe posted:

Here we are, directly under the Dunes (I am under an unexplored area on my map and you can see my thousand foot corridor in the back)

Wait what the hell is this

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
There are mods for subnautica, one of them adds a map.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Don't base ladders just teleport you from one end to the other when you use them? Does the game freak out at all when you teleport yourself up/down 3000m in an instant like that?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You have to spend 3 real hours decompressing.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Danaru posted:

Wait what the hell is this

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/12
and
https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/16

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SugarAddict posted:

There are mods for subnautica, one of them adds a map.

:shepface: Well poo poo looks like I'm reinstalling

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Danaru posted:

:shepface: Well poo poo looks like I'm reinstalling

Get the EasyCraft mod, it makes it so much better.

And maybe the Q multimod thingie. Makes it funnier.

And go hog wild with ALL the mods.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Anyone tried mods with VR? Trip report?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Oh, Nexusmods has things besides giant anime titty mods for games now?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I'm pretty sure it still has literal tons of pedo mods. But looking at Danaru's avatar makes me wish for a mod to replace the robot lady voice with one of the voices from the Metal Gear series, maybe the kernel for example.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

Awaiting the mod that gives ghost leviathans giant anime titties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Let's put some boobs on this peeper