Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sagebrush posted:

Haha, so that's what those loving things are. I saw them first about, yep, 2 weeks ago and couldn't figure out how I'd never seen them before.

Why did all three companies suddenly dump their products at the same time? Are they in cahoots? Or it it just three competitors all panicking to be the first to market?

yeah i've seen a few limebikes here in berkeley.

it's kind of a shame, they've put in those ford gobike docks all over the place and no one uses them lol

european cities have them and everyone uses them and its kinda nice. tbf all this competition and poo poo is probably not good when they're not used much here already and they all close up shop and go bankrupt and rip em out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

The Seattle bikes have been causing Coast Guard search and rescue attempts when people abandon them on the ferries.

These bikes are a god drat nuisance. They clutter up the sidewalks and when you actually try to use one half the time the thing is loving busted or has a cut brake line.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Here in (flat as gently caress) Taipei docking bikeshare bikes are a crucial component of public transportation and they work really well. The bikes are actually comfortable enough to ride for a half hour (but most trips aren't that long) and they don't feel cheap or heavy either. I often see trucks full of these bikes, either redistributing bikes or taking them to or from the maintenance area. The city (or maybe Giant, not sure who really runs the program) is definitely putting in the necessary effort to make the program work.

On the other hand, there's at least one 'dockless' bikeshare company here here too (O-bike). Their bikes are total garbage and they're kind of a nuisance because they're frequently abandoned. I've seen like 6' tall piles of them at a university bike impound lot too. I would be surprised if they ever maintain their bikes or distribute them where they're needed. Either way, they have a bad reputation and I rarely see people riding them.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Xaris posted:

yeah i've seen a few limebikes here in berkeley.

it's kind of a shame, they've put in those ford gobike docks all over the place and no one uses them lol

european cities have them and everyone uses them and its kinda nice. tbf all this competition and poo poo is probably not good when they're not used much here already and they all close up shop and go bankrupt and rip em out.

well also we use them because our roads are designed sensibly

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
jump bikes were cool and good

and then they got acquired by uber

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
how does the theranos story keep getting more tech bubbely? how?!?

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/984988339274215425

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

employee culture in America is hosed up. y'all need unions

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
that’s just what it takes to be the biggest economy in the world baybeeeeeeeeeee

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

job creators are delicate snowflakes

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

if the amazon mail drones formed a union, then jeff bezos might not hit the 120 billion dollar mark

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
what if the maples do

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I actually spoke with and learned a lot more about my workplaces Union for folks like me the other day and gave the dude my contact info

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i was in a grad student union and now i'm not in a union i think. hopefully i will get a tenure track job and be in a union again. it's like a big non-union sandwich

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krankenstyle posted:

mega agreedo which is why opposing the tech industry is vital since it is inherently anti-union

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Stymie posted:

mega agreedo which is why opposing the tech industry is vital since it is inherently anti-union

there's a weird law in my state that is something along the lines of you're entitled to overtime pay no matter what unless you work with computers

Poverty Cognac
Aug 2, 2014

i get no overtime but i like my job so im the suck?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Roosevelt posted:

there's a weird law in my state that is something along the lines of you're entitled to overtime pay no matter what unless you work with computers

a good law, real workers get compensated fairly while computer touchers get wages more in line with what they deserve

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

digital labour is labour. I hope that helps

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it does not help, in fact it actively harms the discussion through its sheer mendacity

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
new york city has an extremely successful docked bikeshare program, it’s cool and good. the bikes are definitely heavy as gently caress tho

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

having done both, i think i'd prefer being worked to dust via manual labor over digital. working at a computer for 8 hours already tears something vital away.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

having done both, I know that manual labour won’t pay enough to be worth leveraging my body for long term. unless I specialize, but I don’t care to do so. with physical labour I’m too drained to care at the end of the day, but I also won’t have the energy to work on poo poo I find intellectually stimulating. in either case, I probably won’t fill the void of greater meaning. may as well do the thing that has better prospects and derive purpose elsewhere

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ate all the Oreos posted:

might be able to gently caress over the new state legislature though...

hmm I wonder if that might be the idea

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OldAlias posted:

having done both, I know that manual labour won’t pay enough to be worth leveraging my body for long term. unless I specialize, but I don’t care to do so. with physical labour I’m too drained to care at the end of the day, but I also won’t have the energy to work on poo poo I find intellectually stimulating. in either case, I probably won’t fill the void of greater meaning. may as well do the thing that has better prospects and derive purpose elsewhere

whole lot of words to say "i'm lazy and greedy"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i work in tech and am in a union

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

kind of insane to tap that and then see one of the replies is from someone my wife grew up with, who is evidently now also a journalist

the world it is small

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

lancemantis posted:

This except LA I guess

found this brutal own in the comments

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Roosevelt posted:

computer touchers are exempt from overtime pay under federal law too

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Roosevelt posted:

idk i think ours is salaried vs hourly, so they shift people over to salaried asap if they touch computers or perhaps know a computer toucher in my company

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

haveblue posted:

what stops a concerned citizen without a lime account from putting the scooter somewhere not easily found

they all have gps tracking so you can find one easily from an app

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Roosevelt posted:

My work pays me gobs of overtime, weird. They moved us to hourly in anticipation of the new DoL salary rules which Trump (hero of the little guy that he is) kiboshed.

Not exactly a fan of my current work situation but they’ve been honorable on that at least (they said they’d move us to hourly and the did even when they no longer had to).

:shrug:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

they all have gps tracking so you can find one easily from an app

well yeah but what if the gps is telling you it's deep inside private property or a dumpster or a lake or something

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
my buddy works at A Large Tech Company as a PM in CA and the company he works at got fed up with orgs that had lovely work-life balance, so they moved a ton of people to hourly

his base pay is like $120k/year, so if they wanna have crunch time, you better start factoring OT in your budget, since it starts after 8 hours worked in a day there, and double-time starts a lot sooner than you'd expect.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

haveblue posted:

well yeah but what if the gps is telling you it's deep inside private property or a dumpster or a lake or something

used lime bike in AZ and my cousin who lives there told me they fish a bunch out of the canal on the regular.

make no mistake, they're like super cheap bikes, pretty much the definition of a disposable commodity bike

Just-In-Timeberlake fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 14, 2018

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jimmy Carter posted:

my buddy works at A Large Tech Company as a PM in CA and the company he works at got fed up with orgs that had lovely work-life balance, so they moved a ton of people to hourly

his base pay is like $120k/year, so if they wanna have crunch time, you better start factoring OT in your budget, since it starts after 8 hours worked in a day there, and double-time starts a lot sooner than you'd expect.

yeah they made some change to the computer toucher exception such that it's possible to be non-exempt, my current contract is that way as well, it's the first time I've been eligible for overtime in like 15 years

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

pretty much the definition of a disposable commodity bike
around here we refer to those as "your mom"

Lenny Nero
Apr 14, 2007

I'm the magic man...The Santa Claus of the subconscious
I'm so loving happy SF is impounding those scooters. As Qirex said, I've yet to see any used legally. The outside of the Ferry Building last week was like a graveyard for them and those Jump bikes.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rjmccall posted:

new york city has an extremely successful docked bikeshare program, it’s cool and good. the bikes are definitely heavy as gently caress tho

same here in toronto. it's pretty well used and has been expanding significantly yoy. doesn't make money though, it got bought up by the parking authority* of all places to keep it running after the original company bailed a year or so in

the bikes are heavy as gently caress though and built like tanks

*this is probably for the best, and i prefer it as public transit infrastructure

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Lenny Nero posted:

I'm so loving happy SF is impounding those scooters. As Qirex said, I've yet to see any used legally. The outside of the Ferry Building last week was like a graveyard for them and those Jump bikes.

at least one of these companies tried just straight up dumping cheap chinese dockless bikes around last year and the city shut them down fast

I'm not sure what kind of deal jump made but I hope it included money for more bike racks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://twitter.com/cboyrun/status/984805851365068800?s=19

E: oops meant for pics thread but I think its apt here too