Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
That makes a lot more sense if you imagine the Shadow Hawk is basically a glorified mall cop that exists entirely to stop those damned kids Wasps, Stingers, and Locusts from having any fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Don't 'Mechs that lack the ability to torso twist but have gun arms generally also have the ability to flip their arms to fire behind themselves?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

W.T. Fits posted:

Don't 'Mechs that lack the ability to torso twist but have gun arms generally also have the ability to flip their arms to fire behind themselves?

I don't know about all, but the classic Jagermech can definitely flip it's arms.
(Of course, the classic ALSO has only weapons with minimum range penalties in it's arms, soooo if a light is right behind you.....)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

All 'Mechs that are missing their hand and lower arm actuators can flip their arms.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's more useful on the Jager than many others because after a ML hit or two you might as well start using your rear armor instead.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'm glad the Alex Iglesias redesigns took care of most of those design oddities.

The Jagermech still sucks don't get me wrong, but at least it can torso twist.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Mech Quirks are cool and good.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Isnt the Mauler also considered an anti-air mech that doesnt have torso twist? It is the most :battletech: thing ever that dedicated anti-air mechs cant torso twist - you would they would be the mechs designed to spin 360.

DatonKallandor posted:

Mech Quirks are cool and good.
Indeed. They add some variety where there are a bunch of mechs that otherwise would be nearly identical. Hardpoints also help with that, but those dont seem to be a thing in tabletop yet.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Living Legend gave them torso twist, but what really made them stand out as better than others at AA was their cockpit design letting you look up quite a lot. I think the Vulture was also really good about that because it has that long vertical glass strip cockpit that lets you really get an angle on aircraft.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
I guess I'll jump 3 to 1620 (there are two possible "shortest paths" and one is valid hexes so I assume that works) to fire on and kick protos. I should end up with 9 heat exactly after that. It's a bit difficult for Legion 9-12 to stay at 9 but with so many things to kick I want to try.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Isnt the Mauler also considered an anti-air mech that doesnt have torso twist? It is the most :battletech: thing ever that dedicated anti-air mechs cant torso twist - you would they would be the mechs designed to spin 360.

The Mauler is also considered a failed design so there you go

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

DatonKallandor posted:

Living Legend gave them torso twist, but what really made them stand out as better than others at AA was their cockpit design letting you look up quite a lot. I think the Vulture was also really good about that because it has that long vertical glass strip cockpit that lets you really get an angle on aircraft.

You could also kneel, which would improve your pitch, something any mech could do but the AA Maulers really benefited from.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Defiance Industries posted:

The Mauler is also considered a failed design so there you go

Wait, what really?

None of the books I have say so. Sarna says that it was based on a failed design so they renamed it. And it was kinda nasty in MW4.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

painedforever posted:

Wait, what really?

None of the books I have say so. Sarna says that it was based on a failed design so they renamed it. And it was kinda nasty in MW4.
The base design has 4 AC/2s, though, so....yeah.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
AC/2s are going to be semi-useful post timeskip.

Retreating enemies w/ broken morale get a bonus to the test to stop retreating if they're not actively being shot at, so having a gun you can plink with is handy for encouraging them to continue moving off the board.

That reminds me, I need to do a spreadsheet for weapon stats.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I think the best way to make ac2s useful is to say they turned out to be easy to miniaturize and lop a chunk of tonnage off them.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Make them all ultra. Make the ultras rotary. Replace rotaries with HAG 15s

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
All autocannons are indeed ultras and they also get a free ton of ammo as part of their weight. As well as being the hardest weapon to block.

Ultras and LBXes are going away, however, standard autocannons are pretty versatile now and lasers are the -1 ToHit weapon. Autocannons can swap from high explosive shells to armor piercing shells which lets them bypass enemy damage reduction in a way other weapons can't. Lasers can't switch ammo to defeat reflective armor. Gauss can't use exploding shells. Missiles can't do armor penetration.

Likewise, you can get a "one shot" missile launcher by just buying the base launcher and then just not buying an ammo bin for it. Just muzzle-load those suckers back at base and call it a day, holy poo poo are OS launchers a stupid waste of tonnage.

Edit: to elaborate further: Reflective/Reactive/Resistant armor is now standard to a design, with outliers like Stealth and Heat Radiating Armor giving no bonuses vs. damage types. HR Armor is a (Clan) gunboat-specific nerf, if you pack enough weapons to need +5 heat dissipation/turn to help compensate you don't get to resist any damage type. It should make things fun.

Double Edit: There will be a document put together soon-ish. AU Mini Rulebook, woo!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 14, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

vorebane posted:

I think the best way to make ac2s useful is to say they turned out to be easy to miniaturize and lop a chunk of tonnage off them.

Yea, I'm hard pressed to think of a real loss if the stock AC2 and 5 were replaced with Light AC2/5 weight and size stats. "Oh no, some of the crappiest designs in the game might be less poo poo because they have armor! or ammo! or even heat sinks!" My character!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Trust me.

Medium Lasers weight 2.5 tons now. :ssh:

Larges weigh 8? Energy weapons are too hot and heavy to easily boat.

Edit: I've even managed to make the LRM-5 less poo poo.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 14, 2018

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

painedforever posted:

Wait, what really?

You should never assume that something is true because it was in MW4.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Trust me.

Yeah, I saw some of the teasers on your patreon, and I am really looking forward to seeing the construction rules for your post-timeskip equipment. I also hope we get at least one scenario that pits the new tech against Old World gear, just to demonstrate out much of power difference there is.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
I really hope I'm not about to fail an impossible DFA on Fraction Jackson. That would be a poor turn.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Now, fix quads! :science:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Trust me.

That seems ok, medium lasers were shockingly light for their utility. I will trust in my favorite cardassian.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Finalized weapon list has been posted in the usual place. This one's fully open to the public because I'd like people to feel free to discuss it.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

The Bushwacker is the coolest mech and it always will be.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DatonKallandor posted:

Even animals and Clanners can feel shame, but you somehow can't

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DatonKallandor posted:

Thankfully that was the starter mech in MW3, wasnt it?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

DatonKallandor posted:

What the Bushwacker did to the poor Centurion in video game representation is unforgivable.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

The only way to settle which mech is best is for the Screamer and the King Dadlas to duke it out.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Finalized weapon list has been posted in the usual place. This one's fully open to the public because I'd like people to feel free to discuss it.

This is very good. I like that the Clans have entirely different weapons, rather than just 'IS tech but better'.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The fact that Heavy Lasers are lighter than their IS Lasers is a bit of an odd artifact of the old canon Heavy Lasers.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Orders in, let's gently caress poo poo up I guess (please don't wreck me)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Xarbala posted:

The fact that Heavy Lasers are lighter than their IS Lasers is a bit of an odd artifact of the old canon Heavy Lasers.

I'm using pulse laser stats because the canon Heavy Lasers are even lighter.

The Clans are pretty well intended to use HR Armor as a crutch, being limited to basically single heat sinks means they're starved for heat capacity.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Mezzanon posted:

Orders in, let's gently caress poo poo up I guess (please don't wreck me)
Mega same.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
the larger LRMs feel a little heavy but that's probably partially based on my brain still calibrating everything for dhs, and their damage per ton is actually good considering the relatively low heat.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Also orders in. Probably gonna get dinged this turn, but that's all right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Orders in. Me (#10) and #8 are gonna Butch and Sundance outside while everyone else has fun storming the castle.

• Locked thread