Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Old Boot posted:

Same, except the fetus-vomity thing was so absurd that I couldn't make myself not like it. Tried, failed. Voice acting for that bit punched my second-hand embarrassment pretty hard, tho'.

IDK, people make a lot of hay about the cult, but forget that it's been a mainstay since 1, with throwbacks in 2. It's not like people are inventing purgatory out of thin air when it comes to 2, and the tie-ins aren't exactly referential (I mean, there's a reason the Maria ending suggests that James is about to go and do the whole drat thing over again/that he's being slapped for not learning a single goddamn thing/why the endings are arranged the way they are-- and a reason that Laura is technically the foil for all the crazy happening). It doesn't beat you over the head with cult it's the cult it's the the way the other games do, sure, and it's cool to take from it what you will, but treating it like it's just a fan-theory is kind of silly. The game is good, there's a lot of things to get attached to, but let's not tie ourselves in knots pretending it's something that it's not.

That said, it's not like I haven't jumped through hoops to make the cult palatable, but that's kind of the crux of it: there's not nearly enough details given about wtf is going on to say for sure that the cult is what made the town the way it is/was, or if it's always been like that, and was ultimately influenced in a weird way by the cult's presence.

If you think the cult made silent hill what it is then that means this one group of religious idiots from Europe were right. Not only were their beliefs correct but they also went to the exact spot where they needed to be. Why didn't things get hosed up in other places? Why did their "magic" work in Silent hill? The cult is bullshit. The town has the power and the cult were just the right kind of people to twist it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Welcome to the Game was an interesting concept and a decent game I guess, but it was also edgelord extreme and its weird to me that it both got a sequel and people were looking forward to it.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
I think the advertising tricked everybody into thinking that it was going to be a little more complicated than an overcomplicated plate spinning simulator.

There's no reason to even play it, everything this dude made is grim bullshit so you already know the ending is you getting killed or something.

Just wait, Rides With Strangers is going to end with the murderer chasing you into your mom's house or whatever and torturing your entire family to death or something.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

1stGear posted:

Welcome to the Game was an interesting concept and a decent game I guess, but it was also edgelord extreme and its weird to me that it both got a sequel and people were looking forward to it.

to me at least it hit pretty well on that creepy feeling of being at home in the middle of the night and getting the feeling that some weird bullshit might be trying to break in and get you

but beyond that i think the dev has kind of disappeared up his own rear end so far that the mysterious kidnapper russians can't even find him

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hey what was that mobile game I heard about ages ago that was like a found footage thing where the game was basically like just like emulating a phone that you found and you're trying to figure out what happened to the owner.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the first game's twist was pretty good though

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Glagha posted:

Hey what was that mobile game I heard about ages ago that was like a found footage thing where the game was basically like just like emulating a phone that you found and you're trying to figure out what happened to the owner.

Night Terrors?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Glagha posted:

Sara is Missing. They made a sequel but I can't remember the name.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jukebox Hero posted:

I think the advertising tricked everybody into thinking that it was going to be a little more complicated than an overcomplicated plate spinning simulator.

There's no reason to even play it, everything this dude made is grim bullshit so you already know the ending is you getting killed or something.

Just wait, Rides With Strangers is going to end with the murderer chasing you into your mom's house or whatever and torturing your entire family to death or something.

It's not even really a plate spinner for the most part. The police can be dealt with pre-emptively but the other threats just sorta happen. The hitman can literally just shoot you as you walk back to your apartment and there's zero way to prevent it aside from just knowing he's there and leaving the building/going back in to reload the level. Same with the Breather outside but at least you can hold a door shut if he doesn't just decide to jump you without warning. Honestly the game would have been infinitely better if it WAS a plate spinner

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Tired Moritz posted:

Sara is Missing. They made a sequel but I can't remember the name.

Simulacrum.

Johnny Joestar posted:

to me at least it hit pretty well on that creepy feeling of being at home in the middle of the night and getting the feeling that some weird bullshit might be trying to break in and get you

but beyond that i think the dev has kind of disappeared up his own rear end so far that the mysterious kidnapper russians can't even find him

Edgelord extreme devs with a decent first game and disappearing up their own rear end for the second? Reminds me of the Outlast devs, Red Barrels.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
The only time Ive ever seen Yuu instead of You was Bob from bobsgame.

Who also was a supreme edgelord :thunk:

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Glagha posted:

There's also A Normal Lost Phone, not very horror orientated though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Johnny Joestar posted:

Yeah this was the real novelty of the first game, you were just some atrocity tourist on the internet and the home invasion fear was the more significant part of the spooks. 2 has a lot less of that and a lot more "involvement" with everything else going on, it's got a much more hamfisted objective and a dumber 'story' going on, the enemies and deaths come much more out of the blue where in the first game you pretty much always had a warning if you were keeping on edge, there's so much more downtime and finagling with extraneous crap, all this and you're still on a timer.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

If you think the cult made silent hill what it is then that means this one group of religious idiots from Europe were right. Not only were their beliefs correct but they also went to the exact spot where they needed to be. Why didn't things get hosed up in other places? Why did their "magic" work in Silent hill? The cult is bullshit. The town has the power and the cult were just the right kind of people to twist it.

Doesn't someone mention that the natives before the town was built were wary of the place? It's not the town that necessarily has the power but whatever spot grows these weird rear end drug flowers.

Danaru posted:

It's not even really a plate spinner for the most part. The police can be dealt with pre-emptively but the other threats just sorta happen. The hitman can literally just shoot you as you walk back to your apartment and there's zero way to prevent it aside from just knowing he's there and leaving the building/going back in to reload the level. Same with the Breather outside but at least you can hold a door shut if he doesn't just decide to jump you without warning. Honestly the game would have been infinitely better if it WAS a plate spinner

I remember the Breather's whole MO in the first game was that he must break in through a door. The fact that he can just gut you in a back alley without warning is kind of proof at the designer not caring.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah this was the real novelty of the first game, you were just some atrocity tourist on the internet and the home invasion fear was the more significant part of the spooks. 2 has a lot less of that and a lot more "involvement" with everything else going on, it's got a much more hamfisted objective and a dumber 'story' going on, the enemies and deaths come much more out of the blue where in the first game you pretty much always had a warning if you were keeping on edge, there's so much more downtime and finagling with extraneous crap, all this and you're still on a timer.

it's kind of a shame, because if 2 had toned back some of the dumb poo poo (dollmaker, some of the more bullshit deaths) then it'd be loads better if it focused more on trying to avoid the weird cult trying to break in and the occasional murderer skulking around the area. opening up the area makes it feel creepier because it gives a lot more corners for the dangers to hide in, but once it starts getting into the 'gamble for your life every time you go outside' territory then it starts to suck.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

al-azad posted:

Doesn't someone mention that the natives before the town was built were wary of the place? It's not the town that necessarily has the power but whatever spot grows these weird rear end drug flowers.

The flowers are generally tangential- they're used in ceremonies by the cult, but the location itself appears to be the source of power. As far as the town, it's portrayed very inconsistently. The most recent entries like downpour play up the idea of the location itself having sentience, a framing that gained popularity after SH2. In the original game, the town didn't have any power and it was all Alessa's psychic abilities doing the work.

The most consistent explanation that I've been able to come up with (which is by no means an argument for canonicity or anything) is that the town reflects the psyches of people in it, and their beliefs can have a lasting impression on the town and what it does. What native americans perceived the location to be, and their relationship with it, is never made clear. When the colonists arrived, they committed a whole variety of atrocities in the area and if its latent power weren't evil before, it was rendered that way afterward. In turn, Alessa and the cult have also left impressions on how the town's monsters/imagery etc functioned. Because the cultists believe in some sort of religious ideology, they indirectly project this into the town's creations as well. Their practices have had a sort of placebo effect- believing in them makes them real in Silent Hill, to a degree. That gave them a very limited degree of control, but they never really understand what it is they're messing with. I like the cult as long as they're portrayed in that evil, but ultimately deluded and powerless light- they're very useful narratively speaking, especially if you want to keep every silent hill game from rehashing SH2.

Later games have implied that the town has a mind of its own, and that the scope of its influence has gradually grown, primarily because people are drawn to it from elsewhere (SH2) and it can influence other locations through believers (SH3, 4 and 5).

In terms of a root source, it's been indirectly implied from a few different games and artbooks that the source of SH's effects is either at the bottom of Toluca Lake, or on Toluca Lake Island. Alternately, the lake having such power may just be because a number of shipwrecks and other atrocties have occurred there.

All of this stuff is rewritten and tossed out whenever a development team wanted to reference monsters from past games or justify a different plot element. It's less a matter of "this is mysterious because resolving and explaining everything is bad practice" and more "after the first game the original developers winged it a lot of the time, and when they left the people doing writing weren't very good at it and had a lot more canon to wrestle with".

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 12, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

the first game's twist was pretty good though

Which one? There are two I can think of. That the person at the end who escapes from the red room is the player from Rides With Strangers or that the character who is looking for the red room is one of the killers from Rides With Strangers

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pseudohog posted:

There's also A Normal Lost Phone, not very horror orientated though.

Yeah I bought it when it was on sale because I figured it wasn't a normal lost phone at all and it was not horror at all but a nice little story.

It's the abandoned phone of a transperson who left it behind when they left their lovely family.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

FirstAidKite posted:

Which one? There are two I can think of. That the person at the end who escapes from the red room is the player from Rides With Strangers or that the character who is looking for the red room is one of the killers from Rides With Strangers

the first thing is not correct, the person from rides with strangers is a woman, the red room victim is a man

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh, my bad then. I can't remember much, I just remember the escapee ending up along that same highway.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
WttR 1 was enhanced by it's limitations. The dev was able to implement more, bigger, new ideas(way too many killers, the wi-fi swapping, mining for bitcoins, everything about the dollmaker) and the new product suffers as a result.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Silent Hill, the location, tends to beckon to those who want to be punished. However, it isn't sentient in the thinking way, more like a...learning bodily ecosystem. When the cult shows up, it drills down on their whole thing and tries to spawn a god via hallucinogens. When Walter wheels around, it gets caught on the Room concept.

If we're being really generous, we could say that James' trauma at the hands of Pyramid Head was sufficient to inform the town that "this is an effective tool," but we really know why it's being reused.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I wanna get either Dead by Daylight or Friday the 13th for the PS4 today. Anybody got some advice? I heard that F13th has a really low player count and that sounds ominous.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
F13 is going to be upgrading their engine and adding a ton of content in an update some time hopefully soon, so a lot of people are waiting until that drops to play again.

I play both on PC so I don't know the console situation. They're both real good but DbD would be your best bet for right now

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Regarde Aduck posted:

I left out some :spergin: to save space but basi--

Discendo Vox posted:

The most consistent explanation that I've been able to come up with (which is by no means an argument for canonicity or anything) is that the town reflects the psyches of people in it, and their beliefs can have a lasting impression on the town and what it does. What native americans perceived the location to be, and their relationship with it, is never made clear. When the colonists arrived, they committed a whole variety of atrocities in the area and if its latent power weren't evil before, it was rendered that way afterward. In turn, Alessa and the cult have also left impressions on how the town's monsters/imagery etc functioned. Because the cultists believe in some sort of religious ideology, they indirectly project this into the town's creations as well. Their practices have had a sort of placebo effect- believing in them makes them real in Silent Hill, to a degree. That gave them a very limited degree of control, but they never really understand what it is they're messing with. I like the cult as long as they're portrayed in that evil, but ultimately deluded and powerless light- they're very useful narratively speaking, especially if you want to keep every silent hill game from rehashing SH2.

Later games have implied that the town has a mind of its own, and that the scope of its influence has gradually grown, primarily because people are drawn to it from elsewhere (SH2) and it can influence other locations through believers (SH3, 4 and 5).

In terms of a root source, it's been indirectly implied from a few different games and artbooks that the source of SH's effects is either at the bottom of Toluca Lake, or on Toluca Lake Island. Alternately, the lake having such power may just be because a number of shipwrecks and other atrocties have occurred there.

All of this stuff is rewritten and tossed out whenever a development team wanted to reference monsters from past games or justify a different plot element. It's less a matter of "this is mysterious because resolving and explaining everything is bad practice" and more "after the first game the original developers winged it a lot of the time, and when they left the people doing writing weren't very good at it and had a lot more canon to wrestle with".

e;fb

It's this. I wasn't saying the cult created the phenomena that made the town what it was, I was saying the above, but I can see how it could be read in a more literal fashion.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The cult definitely did not help matters.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Old Boot posted:

I left out some :spergin: to save space but basi--

I am become Red :spergin: Thing, better known as :spergin:head.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

ravenkult posted:

I wanna get either Dead by Daylight or Friday the 13th for the PS4 today. Anybody got some advice? I heard that F13th has a really low player count and that sounds ominous.

Dead by Daylight is a hundred different kinds of hosed up because the devs have come to flagrantly pandering to streamers for a while now. Practically the entire game is slanted toward survivors (Which is virtually all most of the big streamers play), who get a dozen different get out of jail free cards and can straight up spend the entire match sprinting around, because they can ring around the rosey the dumb pallets for a century. The first big issue came when people pressured Behaviour (Devs) into adding a "Queue into quick play with survivor friends" option, which sounds like a no-brainer, except the game was and still is balanced around the idea that survivors can't communicate, there's a bunch of perks and mechanics based on this that get completely broken when some group can just get on discord and constantly tell each other where everything is. Survivors get buffed, killers get ""buffed"" sums up a hilarious amount of patches. Survivor positive bugs take a marked amount of time to get fixed compared to killer positive bugs which become like Priority #1 FIX TODAY. They release new killers which you have to pay real money for and then stomp on them about a week or two later, the big highlight of that being a while back they put out a Freddy Krueger killer who had a unique new gimmick, he wasn't actually all that good, but he broke shitters brains, so people flooded the game's forum and review bombed the DLC, so the devs caved and made a middling killer the absolute worst in the game, where he still resides now. The devs themselves have become more outwardly lovely, on a dev stream that's since become a huge joke, someone said "Killer is very frustrating, not fun and nobody has any reason to be scared of you anymore, are you going to buff killers to help this at all?" and the dev responded with pretty much "Play survivor or go play a different game" and recommended Civilization, which turned into a meme because jesus christ.

Don't fall into the same trap too many goons did, don't give Behaviour money, go look at the languishing DbD thread and watch people get the game, say it's cool and then a short time later start asking what the hell's wrong with this or that. :smith:

(Also Friday the 13th's population isn't huge but it's completely fine for the kind of game it is)

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Bogart posted:

The cult definitely did not help matters.

Not at all, and I honestly don't mind that being part of the mythos. Or, rather, I didn't, up until the point that Homecoming rolled out, which is more or less the entry that made me decide that Silent Hill titles were now on the 'maybe' list, rather than 'must have.'

Discendo Vox posted:

I am become Red :spergin: Thing, better known as :spergin:head.

In fairness, if you hadn't, I would have.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Yardbomb posted:

"Play survivor or go play a different game" and recommended Civilization, which turned into a meme because jesus christ.

Ah I knew that game was having issues, but that's beyond the pale. Streamers ruining horror games are the new MLG ruining mainstream genres.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

Ah I knew that game was having issues, but that's beyond the pale. Streamers ruining horror games are the new MLG ruining mainstream genres.

I also didn't realize they were asking about the games on PS4, it sounds like I'm just ragging on it but DbD has even more problems on console too with framerate jankery and lag handling.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

There's a history of Overkill/Starbreeze, which is the company that funded DbD, really chasing after streamers and giving said streamers too much influence in the game design. It's been one source of balance changes that screwed up payday 1 and payday 2, starbreeze's premier franchise. Streamers, as a matter of course, include the most obsessive, drama-focused and meta-fixated among the playerbase. When the toys and tools they use to demonstrate game "mastery" for money are tweaked, or when the game is made easier in ways that cater to other audiences, they and their audiences form a terrifying white-hot cluster of entitled rage.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

There's a history of Overkill/Starbreeze, which is the company that funded DbD, really chasing after streamers and giving said streamers too much influence in the game design. It's been one source of balance changes that screwed up payday 1 and payday 2, starbreeze's premier franchise. Streamers, as a matter of course, include the most obsessive, drama-focused and meta-fixated among the playerbase. When the toys and tools they use to demonstrate game "mastery" for money are tweaked, or when the game is made easier in ways that cater to other audiences, they and their audiences form a terrifying white-hot cluster of entitled rage.

DbD their shtick is more that they know the community is heavier on survivor because it has to be in a 4v1 game, so they can just throw a big enough tantrum and Behaviour will crumple every time. For laughs, a while back they even did a DLC where they got a bunch of the big streamers to come in on it and plaster their logos and whatever on some clothes, as part of a cosmetic pack where they give the proceeds to charity. Of the 26 contributions like 3 of them were for killer.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

FWIW I can't even imagine the difficulty of maintaining balance and community health on that competitive multiplayer asymmetric format. Even in expert hands DbD would be hellish to manage.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wonder if they buff survivors because it always seemed to me that everyone would want to play the killers. it's like if there was a the thing game most people would wanna be the thing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

i wonder if they buff survivors because it always seemed to me that everyone would want to play the killers. it's like if there was a the thing game most people would wanna be the thing.

People quickly realized the power was really on survivors, so that's where the pubbies flocked, but even in like Friday the 13th where Jason's the powerful character, a whole lot of people still seem like they go to playing counselor instead.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yardbomb posted:

People quickly realized the power was really on survivors, so that's where the pubbies flocked, but even in like Friday the 13th where Jason's the powerful character, a whole lot of people still seem like they go to playing counselor instead.

I think its because the strategy for counselors has been so optimized that its very difficult for somebody to win as Jason.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think its because the strategy for counselors has been so optimized that its very difficult for somebody to win as Jason.

Eh, I mean at least in F13 a win is just what you make of it barring the super rare flat out 0/8 rounds.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Yeah if you get a 3/8 it was just one of the low-deathcount versions of the movie you're enacting.

Compare the grimdark 8/8 version where Jason slaughters the entire camp

6-7/8 is the traditional version where Jason either gets Tommy and the last counselor gets away, or vise versa, or they both get away, or Tommy didn't show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
they should buff killers because it should be fun to kill your friends