Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

dud root posted:

Sounds like an unfinished or abandoned quest during production

Well, Wizardry 6 came out in 1990 and Wizardry 7 came out in 1992, but Wizardry 8 didn't release until 2001. Not to mention that D.W. Bradley was the lead on 6 and 7, but then left SirTech. Wizardry 8 was done by Brenda Romero, so maybe there really wasn't any major carryover of design plans or ideas between 7 and 8.

I have Wizardry 6-8 on GOG, but I've never found the initiative to sit down and play them. I want to take a party through all three games, but I bounced off W6 pretty hard when I first tried it. Part of it I think is how poorly they've aged (excluding W8, which still seems pretty accessible), part of it is difficulty, and part of it is that they just seem like really dry dungeon crawlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

BiggerJ posted:

New rescues from the corporate abyss: Night Dive rereleased Titanic: Adventure Out of Time (Dust: A Tale of the Wired West was by the same devs and publisher - to the Wishlist!), and retro cartridge manufacturers who've moved into digital game publishing, Piko Interactive, bought 60 titles from Atari last October and have started their rereleases with Legend Entertainment's Death Gate - a licensed title based on a book, even! Time to vote on every single one of their adventure games on the Wishlist.

This is from a while back, but GOG has now released another Legend Entertainment title, Eric the Unready.
Death Gate was apparently de-listed after a couple of weeks though, according to the news thread about the current release.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Max Wilco posted:

Well, Wizardry 6 came out in 1990 and Wizardry 7 came out in 1992, but Wizardry 8 didn't release until 2001. Not to mention that D.W. Bradley was the lead on 6 and 7, but then left SirTech. Wizardry 8 was done by Brenda Romero, so maybe there really wasn't any major carryover of design plans or ideas between 7 and 8.

I have Wizardry 6-8 on GOG, but I've never found the initiative to sit down and play them. I want to take a party through all three games, but I bounced off W6 pretty hard when I first tried it. Part of it I think is how poorly they've aged (excluding W8, which still seems pretty accessible), part of it is difficulty, and part of it is that they just seem like really dry dungeon crawlers.

All I remember about Wizardry 8 was someone making fun of the lead developer. He was quoted saying something like "There's no originality in games these days." - Lead Dev, Wizardry 8.

That said I want to play W8. Are there any mods or optional patches I should get?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Get the one that makes fights faster (cycling through 20 walking plants making individual attacks) if its not already bundled.

Probably don't get the mega mod that imports monsters from Morrowind as it doesn't make much sense if you haven't played before or followed the earlier games' continuity (at least it didn't when I tried it in like 2010).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
According to a promo email, GOG has wishlists now.

Supposedly they'll be "granting thousands of wishes" for active members on Monday, so there's probably no harm in wish-listing a few things just in case.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Huh, GOG had this feature for ages :confused:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Oh? I could have swore it wasn't there last time I wanted it.

Weird. Shows how smart I am, then. :shrug:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Yeah, they had a wish-list before. I kept forgetting to remove Raptor: Call of the Shadows from mine (even though I had it on Steam) and they kept sending me mail whenever it went on sale. Thank you, laziness.

I am guessing they renamed it or just want to draw more attention to it?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Probably the latter, I think it was "like" or something on the old website but has been called wishlist since then IIRC.

The Kins posted:

Oh I was merely confused they sent out a promo mail about it, not trying to question your intelligence ;)

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

The Kins posted:

Checked my emails.
This feature has existed (and was promoted by GOG) since the Fourth of June, 2009

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I wonder what's happening on monday which relates to the wishlists. I assume that maybe they're putting a bunch of the most wishlisted games on sale or something neat like that.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Kins referenced a promo mail earlier, they also tweeted about :
https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/984814887766577153

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Cool, but this actually means I need to cull my wishlist until then. Don't want anything I'm not sure I really want.

The wishlist has been around a long time but I haven't seen the feature to share it with a link before, so that's good.

Also, SOMA is 75% off right now.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Cool, but this actually means I need to cull my wishlist until then. Don't want anything I'm not sure I really want.

The wishlist has been around a long time but I haven't seen the feature to share it with a link before, so that's good.

Also, SOMA is 75% off right now.

Oh yes I should probably do that too :v:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have 417 games on my wishlist, what's wrong with me. Actually, it's an easy way to see a "what's on sale that I'm actually interested in" list.

Perimeter's a buck.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Where are my free games, Gog?!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

you get a free discount. they make you buy stuff and like it, it's insidious.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

no free games for me.

:argh:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Most of the games on my wishlist didn't go on sale :(

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is there a licensing reason GoG has never gotten any of the non-city sim titles (SimAnt, Sim Copter, SimLife, or the holy grail of SimTower and/or SimGolf)? I would pay full goddamn retail for a copy of SimGolf that would reliably work on a modern OS.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Same for me. No free games and no sale. :smithicide:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is there a licensing reason GoG has never gotten any of the non-city sim titles (SimAnt, Sim Copter, SimLife, or the holy grail of SimTower and/or SimGolf)? I would pay full goddamn retail for a copy of SimGolf that would reliably work on a modern OS.
EA probably.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Some of those games were by third-party developers - SimTower was by OpenBook/Vivarium in Tokyo, while SimGolf was by Firaxis, who are owned by Take Two now.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Maxis' SimGolf, or Sid Meier's SimGolf?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

doctorfrog posted:

Maxis' SimGolf, or Sid Meier's SimGolf?

Sid Meier’s, naturally. I spent way, way too much time playing it. For some reason didn’t realize Firaxis was involved.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
EA has mostly been pretty good at rereleasing all the old PC games they own, American McGee's Alice aside, but as Kins said there are probably third-parties involved that make certain re-releases harder; for a major example the Westwood Blade Runner game.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 17, 2018

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Same, I think I already have most of what other people want I guess. The news blurb says The Witcher 3, Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate II were the top three of everyone's wishlists.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I really wish the old blizzard games (diablo 1, Warcraft 1 and 2) and the Mechwarrior games would get released on GOG. :(

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I really wish the old blizzard games (diablo 1, Warcraft 1 and 2) and the Mechwarrior games would get released on GOG. :(

why cant you wish for something more realistic like world peace

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

Blizzard did a port of Warcraft 1 to modern machines, but refuse to release it because "in today's world, by today's standards, it's just not that fun any more".

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Give me Episode 1 Pod Racer, too.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The Kins posted:

Blizzard did a port of Warcraft 1 to modern machines, but refuse to release it because "in today's world, by today's standards, it's just not that fun any more".

Gonna be honest, in today's world, by today's standards, Blizzard games are just not that fun any more.
Starcraft 2 especially.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chaosapiant posted:

Anything older than Mechwarrior 3 is never ever seeing the light of day again and nothing can change that. Not unless Harmony Gold just suddenly burns to the ground along with everyone inside it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anything older than Mechwarrior 3 is never ever seeing the light of day again and nothing can change that. Not unless Harmony Gold just suddenly burns to the ground along with everyone inside it.

honestly, there's basically no way in hell any of the Harmony Gold stuff actually holds up in a court of law if someone tries to fight it. basically nothing about that case fits with how IP law is supposed to work.

e: I just looked it up, they got bitch-slapped when they tried to go after Hasbro for using G1 Jetfire in a Transformers set and Tatsunoko is currently in the process of trying to drag the license back out of their hands. it seems like the current date at which HG will no longer own the Macross IP is March 14, 2021, and they'll stop owning the trademarks on Dec. 26 2022, if they aren't able to renew anything (which Tatsunoko is actively trying to stop them from being able to).

e2: there's also apparently 42 images that HG doesn't own at all because they're owned by Big West and not Tatsunoko or Studio Nue, which may cover some of the Unseen anyways.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 18, 2018

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And isn't MW3 a nightmare of licensing since it was handled by multiple studios? Or am I misremembering something?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Neddy Seagoon posted:

they are currently in court right now with HBS over use of The Unseen in the new Battletech game. However the scuttlebutt seems to be that HG is gonna get bitchslapped because they are claiming that the Atlas is a variant or some bullshit.

Isn't it true that HG would've been dealt with years ago if FASA hadn't settled out of court and set a precedent for how HG would go about suing from there on?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

how the hell do I play goldbox games

I get into a battle and just get stomped on, am I supposed to be dying and resting every fight

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

how the hell do I play goldbox games

I get into a battle and just get stomped on, am I supposed to be dying and resting every fight

1st level AD&D combat is incredibly fatal. Everyone is extremely squishy and it's pretty hard to hit anyone since you can't find any magic weapons with bonuses to hit for quite a while.

Also remember to buy equipment, I've forgotten that you don't start with equipment a couple of times in Pool of Radiance & Gateway to the Savage Frontier.

What specific problems are you having? Don't be afraid of resting and your first move in a new area should be securing somewhere safe to rest up.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I think the magic bullet to lv1 fights is the same one as in Baldur's Gate, by which I mean the Sleep spell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Aces High posted:

they are currently in court right now with HBS over use of The Unseen in the new Battletech game. However the scuttlebutt seems to be that HG is gonna get bitchslapped because they are claiming that the Atlas is a variant or some bullshit.

Isn't it true that HG would've been dealt with years ago if FASA hadn't settled out of court and set a precedent for how HG would go about suing from there on?
The HBS case was already dismissed with prejudice.

If someone doesn't know being dismissed that way means it's almost impossible to refile.