Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

benisntfunny posted:

It’s tapped on. The kit to remove the screen and and reapply it with new adhesive is extremely easy to do and the whole job start to finish takes about 30 minutes or less.

The iMac has all the proper cables in it to attach a new HD.

All in all, if you’re out of warranty, it’s a very cheap and easy upgrade. Just buy:

Screen disassembly kit: ifixit
Temp sensor: OWC
Bracket: amazon or whatever really

:siren: The iMac does not come with Apple’s bespoke SATA connect unless you ordered it with the HDD. So make sure to order one before dismantling your iMac.

Also beware, you have to completely take apart the entire iMac and remove all the internal parts to get access to the SATA port and plug in the cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

freezepops posted:

:siren: The iMac does not come with Apple’s bespoke SATA connect unless you ordered it with the HDD. So make sure to order one before dismantling your iMac.

Also beware, you have to completely take apart the entire iMac and remove all the internal parts to get access to the SATA port and plug in the cable.

They all have the SATA connector, but certain years do not have the SSD connector if you did not originally order it with the SSD or Fusion drive

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/imac-aluminum-tapered-edge-faq/how-to-upgrade-imac-hard-drive-aluminum-2012-2013.html

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe
I literally did this exact upgrade. The iMac does not come with the special SATA cable required to plug in a regular drive unless you bought a model with a HDD.

This thing:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Apple-923-0312-Hard-Drive-Cable-for-iMac-27-Late-2012-Late-2013-A1419-/332555054157?_mwBanner=1

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Generic Monk posted:

whoa even more expensive than the dell 4k; at least the dell ultrawide is. kind of tempting ngl

talking of 4k; how does osx support scaling factors on third party hidpi monitors? like if I bought that ultrasharp 4k monitor would i natively get the dpi settings in the displays prefpane or would I have to install some 3p utility?

It's a niche choice, admittedly. Its strengths are being close enough to 4k whilst also effectively being as good as a dual head setup, especially if you do anything where the width is a boon, like video editing or DTP. I find it pretty handy for all my Lightroom stuff too, but I imagine you'd get just as much utility from a 16:10 4k screen for that, tbh.

MacOS is alright at handling HiDPI natively, but I always recommend getting SwitchResX anyway, if for nothing else than enabling 10 bit colour (which is broken as gently caress with aftermarket nVidia cards).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Is there any option if I want a Mac laptop with 32GB of RAM, or am I stuck going back to Dell or HP? I got roped into working on a .NET project on Azure ServiceFabric at work, and 16GB of RAM is just not that much to run this heavy-rear end project locally inside a Win10 VM alongside visual studio.

Price is no object.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 13, 2018

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Bob Morales posted:

Doesn't matter because you can only push 4k at 30Hz on a 2015 12"

You can do 2560x1440@60Hz all day though

You can use the LG 4K USB-C monitor on a 12” MacBook, though at 48hz for 2015. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207447

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Twerk from Home posted:

Is there any option if I want a Mac laptop with 32GB of RAM
No. Something like the Dell Precision 5520 or the Thinkpad P50 is gonna be your only option.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 13, 2018

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Linguica posted:

No. Something like the Dell Precision 5520 or the Thinkpad P50 is gonna be your only option.

ASUS ROG STRIX GL702VM (my economical pick)
Razer Blade Pro

Edit: I promise I'll stop posting about PC hardware in the Mac thread.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Can anyone advise me on the following:

The local second hand place has one of the older Airport Express units (the one that looks like a power brick) on sale for mega cheap.

I currently the newer model (the one that looks like a tiny Mac mini) on in my bedroom as an AirPlay receiver.

I was wondering if, for the smaller older model, could I use that as a WiFi extender in my kitchen?

I've read conflicting reports online where some people say it will ONLY work as an extender with an Airport Router (which I don't have, rocking my ISPs basic Huawei F2000) but other people say that it will work as long as my router supports some sort of protocol that I can't seem to find the name of again (WDS maybe???) Does anyone know if I can just plug the older airport in my kitchen somewhere and use it as an extender or will it just be useful as an AirPlay 1 device?

Thanks 😇

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
For monitor I use Lenovo P27q at home with 12" Macbook and P24q with Macbook Pro 2016 at work. Both charge the laptop fine, and everything just works and they're not badly priced. Surprisingly good colours too, for a Lenovo product.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Can anyone advise me on the following:

The local second hand place has one of the older Airport Express units (the one that looks like a power brick) on sale for mega cheap.

I currently the newer model (the one that looks like a tiny Mac mini) on in my bedroom as an AirPlay receiver.

I was wondering if, for the smaller older model, could I use that as a WiFi extender in my kitchen?

I've read conflicting reports online where some people say it will ONLY work as an extender with an Airport Router (which I don't have, rocking my ISPs basic Huawei F2000) but other people say that it will work as long as my router supports some sort of protocol that I can't seem to find the name of again (WDS maybe???) Does anyone know if I can just plug the older airport in my kitchen somewhere and use it as an extender or will it just be useful as an AirPlay 1 device?

Thanks 😇

Whatever you decide, just please don’t lease a router or modem from the cable company.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Whatever he decides, the Airport Express can only act as a WiFi Extender for Airport Extreme (or Time Capsule) products, not any old AP. If it's one with an Ethernet port, it might be able to bridge to WiFi and act as an AP even with a non-Apple router, but it's hit or miss.

Apple seems to be winding down their network products in general, so I wouldn't buy into it now, even at a discount, but especially not if you're trying to use it for something that was never supported in the first place.

Tread this path at your own peril at this point, basically.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Get some unifi APs and never look back.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've used Airport Expresses to sign into my Unifi AP's signal and hook up printers and the like to my wireless network using the ethernet or USB port on the back. But they don't extend the signal.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I'd prefer something that can extend the signal a bit, the coverage in my kitchen is awful.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ars did an Mac eGPU article with some benchmarks

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/04/are-external-gpus-for-macs-viable-in-macos-10-13-4-we-tested-to-find-out/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Looks like it's very early days.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Anyone have any tips or tricks regarding using an external USB keyboard with a 2016 MBP? It's an Apple keyboard but seems to only work when it wants to. I've tried several different USB-C to USB-A adapters and none of them seem to be triggering it to work/not work any more than any other. It'll just work perfectly for days on end and then suddenly not work at all.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There is no trick. Your keyboard or your dongle is defective.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is there a reputable source for used mac hardware? I need a small development machine and I feel dirty pawing through ebay and google shopping, way too many zero feedback sellers that advertise one thing in the link and when you dig into the specs it's something else entirely. I'm not 100% against risking an ebay buy but there has to be a safer path.

I don't need anything remotely new, I'm thinking anything 2013 or newer will suit the task I have for it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Just go for people with 30-40+ feedback on eBay, check their account age too. I know I've sold immaculate drat Macs, some still with AppleCare, with all the receipts for any service on eBay. It'd be a shame you passed over a seller like me because "ew eBay".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fair enough, I just get gunshy when I see promising specs in the title and photos of the system specs show something completely different. :v:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Regarding eBay, there's a ton of listings that say "Pre RETINA" just to get 'retina' in the title for searches, watch out for those

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Mahoning posted:

Anyone have any tips or tricks regarding using an external USB keyboard with a 2016 MBP? It's an Apple keyboard but seems to only work when it wants to. I've tried several different USB-C to USB-A adapters and none of them seem to be triggering it to work/not work any more than any other. It'll just work perfectly for days on end and then suddenly not work at all.
Is it a full size aluminum keyboard? Power off completely, reset PRAM, power on with alt keyboard if you have one, once in OS plug in keyboard again. This is my process with 2013 Mac Pro cylinders that kill keyboards. Happens a lot.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

xzzy posted:

Is there a reputable source for used mac hardware? I need a small development machine and I feel dirty pawing through ebay and google shopping, way too many zero feedback sellers that advertise one thing in the link and when you dig into the specs it's something else entirely. I'm not 100% against risking an ebay buy but there has to be a safer path.

Funny thing is, a few years ago there were good deals on used Retina MacBook Pros or MacBook Airs like every other week on SA-Mart but there haven't been poo poo for sale lately. MacRumor's for sale section used to have quite a bit too. Nobody is selling them anymore they want like $800 for a 2014 :(

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I think the resale of some older pros went up because of USB-C on the new models, and the incremental upgrades in hardware numbers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Funny thing is, a few years ago there were good deals on used Retina MacBook Pros or MacBook Airs like every other week on SA-Mart but there haven't been poo poo for sale lately. MacRumor's for sale section used to have quite a bit too. Nobody is selling them anymore they want like $800 for a 2014 :(

A day of eyeballing ebay suggests I should be able to get a 2013-2015 Air anywhere from $250-$450. Specs don't seem to play much of a factor and neither does damage or the inclusion of a power brick.

It's just a question of waiting for the ebay sniping lottery to favor me. :iiam:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

xzzy posted:

A day of eyeballing ebay suggests I should be able to get a 2013-2015 Air anywhere from $250-$450. Specs don't seem to play much of a factor and neither does damage or the inclusion of a power brick.

It's just a question of waiting for the ebay sniping lottery to favor me. :iiam:

$250? No way man.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You should always sort by Buy It Now prices or else you'll grossly inflate what the lower bound of pricing is.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

xzzy posted:

If you can get a working Air for $250 I'll eat my loving hat

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macb...vsAAOSwh9Baz4Ep

I personally won't get one for that price, but someone did!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

xzzy posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macb...vsAAOSwh9Baz4Ep

I personally won't get one for that price, but someone did!

:gonk:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've got two 13" 2011-2012 MacBook Airs, one with some small cosmetic damage, one with a loose hinge, and I'm really hoping I can get ~$600 to put toward my MacBook Pro.

I also plan on selling off whatever Beats headphones they offer for the Back to School event.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 17, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Haha I didn't even look at the detail shots, that is hilarious.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Yea a $250 Air would either be 'parts only' or look like it went through a woodchippa

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

xzzy posted:

I don't need anything remotely new, I'm thinking anything 2013 or newer will suit the task I have for it.

https://www.macofalltrades.com is a reputable reseller, although their prices may be higher than you're looking for. You can pick up the old plastic Macbooks in the $250-$350 range

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
I just recently got back into Macs after a long hiatus, (last mac was a lampshade iMac G4). I picked up a 13" 2010 Macbook Air 1.83Mhz/4Gb/128Gb in absolutely mint condition (sans charger) for $250 from the University of Maryland surplus store. http://purchase.umd.edu/ttrader. Newer models went for $100-$150 more. If you live near a university see if they have a store like that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm thinking about purchasing a set of 5.1 speakers that would connect to my Mac via optical. I've noticed that a lot of the more recent Macs don't have this anymore, if I had to get an external sound card for my future Macs how annoying/expensive would it be?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

wdarkk posted:

I'm thinking about purchasing a set of 5.1 speakers that would connect to my Mac via optical. I've noticed that a lot of the more recent Macs don't have this anymore, if I had to get an external sound card for my future Macs how annoying/expensive would it be?

Uh that kinda depends on how deep down that rabbit hole you want to go. They can get ridiculously expensive but I’d say you could get a decent one in the $50-$100 range.

Or something like this would work.

https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Coa...TCE45T61QTBTCHJ

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MarcusSA posted:

Uh that kinda depends on how deep down that rabbit hole you want to go. They can get ridiculously expensive but I’d say you could get a decent one in the $50-$100 range.

Or something like this would work.

https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Coa...TCE45T61QTBTCHJ

"No drivers" in the description answers the question about hassles pretty well.