Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's good that WFP learned that dealing with cuomo is a fruitless endeavor. this isn't an overnight thing either, unions have been steadily pulling away from them ever since his first re-election as a form of punishment. they probably weren't gonna endorse Cuomo anyway but now there's no chance in hell that they will, although this puts them in yet another bad position if (when) he wins the primary

speaking of shameless hit jobs, the NY Post published a story saying that an outspoken assemblymember blamed Jews for gentrification. note the suspicious bit about the tape recorder conveniently being off during this meeting. richardson, in response, said that the story was complete bullshit. having been to many of her events, i'm siding with her, because she's said on numerous occasions that it's more of an issue about economics than race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/transportworker/status/984908864381480960?s=21

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I would ask has Cuomo actually done anything for the unions in this state. But it wouldn't matter cause I'm sure he looked out for the Union bosses

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

union politics in new york are about as corrupt as its actual politics and constantly kowtow to establishment types. note that AFL-CIO endorsed joe crowley and dan donovan

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
What the hell is a lifestyle progressive

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zakharov posted:

What the hell is a lifestyle progressive

Could it be a dogwhistle?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its like culture issues>economic.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Could it be a dogwhistle?

It’s definitelt a gay dogwhistle

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

its like culture issues>economic.
so the people using it are describing... themselves? :psyduck:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

so the people using it are describing... themselves? :psyduck:

Last year wasn't there a more serious militant protest in Berkeley and the mayor of Berkeley came out against it because "it robbed Berkely of its history of whimsical protest" or something to that effect

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Some good news maybe?

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/984448075010895872

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ocasio and salazar are the best primary challengers of the bunch, though i do also like myrie. barkan couldn't sell water to a guy on fire if you heard him speak, although he's a good journo and he does have a great grasp on the issues

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm so goddamn happy I get to vote for her at least once.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

building workers update: demands were met. new contract. no strike

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Real hurthling! posted:

building workers update: demands were met. new contract. no strike

:toot:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Called it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Despite some last-minute concern trolling by UAW reps:

https://twitter.com/JimmyVielkind/status/985245589142147073

Also:

https://twitter.com/NickReisman/status/985246125841149952

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I actually briefly met Cynthia Nixon last year, she had her birthday party at the restaurant I was bartending at. She’s super genuine

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Apparently cuomo is going to sign an executive order granting felony parolees the right to vote. Going left on an issue he should have years ago because it is now politically expedient. Classic cummo

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

:hai:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Glambags posted:

Apparently cuomo is going to sign an executive order granting felony parolees the right to vote. Going left on an issue he should have years ago because it is now politically expedient. Classic cummo

I hope this backfires on him and they all vote for Nixon

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I hope this backfires on him and they all vote for Nixon

None of them are eligible to register in time for the primary. :rimshot:

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

is this the first good thing Cuomo's done?

besides the SAFE act, which made cops mad so i count it as a success

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

majormonotone posted:

is this the first good thing Cuomo's done?

besides the SAFE act, which made cops mad so i count it as a success

Marriage equality and banning fracking, he has to at least appear to be a dem once in a while

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CaptainPsyko posted:

hosed up

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

CaptainPsyko posted:

yyyyep. there's the rub.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is there a website to add party affiliation to your voter registration or do you need to mail a form in?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Real hurthling! posted:

is there a website to add party affiliation to your voter registration or do you need to mail a form in?

You need to mail a form in. Also it’s too late to change parties to vote for Nixon. The deadline to change your party affiliation for a primary is the voter registration deadline for the previous general election. (So, last October.)

If you’re not a registered voter in NY at all though, you can still register D for a few more months. Relevant deadlines are here : https://www.elections.ny.gov/VotingDeadlines.html

Edit: here’s a link to the form itself; https://www.elections.ny.gov/NYSBOE/download/voting/voteform_enterable.pdf

Chevy Slyme has issued a correction as of 21:08 on Apr 18, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It also allowed me to go Dem as a registered voter with no party affiliation (forgot to check the box when I registered, derp). As of a few days ago, at least.

vvvvvv It allowed me to go through the web form and told me my change would be processed. I guess it could still be rejected during processing?

haveblue has issued a correction as of 21:10 on Apr 18, 2018

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

haveblue posted:

It also allowed me to go Dem as of a few days ago as a registered voter with no party affiliation (forgot to check the box when I registered, derp).

You sure about that? I don’t think you’ll be on the rolls for this years primary, by my reading of the rules.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

You can explicitly register as an independent in which case it’s too late to change, I’m not sure what happens if you register as nothing

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if i change and its too late it will kick in for next time tho right? they wont just toss the form in the trash

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Real hurthling! posted:

if i change and its too late it will kick in for next time tho right? they wont just toss the form in the trash

Yeah. It’ll be a valid change of registration for 2020 and also for any random special elections that 2019 might bring.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

what would it take to fix the stupid party registration deadlines? Just the legislature not being poo poo?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ogmius815 posted:

what would it take to fix the stupid party registration deadlines? Just the legislature not being poo poo?

don't parties set their own primary rules?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Matt Zerella posted:

nope, only in caucus states

really cool regular country with normal and comprehensible election rules

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ogmius815 posted:

pretty much. my assemblymember proposed a bill to change these rules, but it only has one co-sponsor and every progressive group out there opposes it, thinking that it would help republicans

Matt Zerella posted:

yes. the reason the Reform Party's nomination process is different than the other parties in the state is because the state committee made rules to make it that way

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

GalacticAcid posted:

nope, only in caucus states

really cool regular country with normal and comprehensible election rules

This is sort of wrong; parties can select a nominee however they choose, but if they choose to have a statewide election, it has to go by the rules set by the state legislature.

The Working Families Party, for example, holds a convention.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Fun New York Elections fact: because the libertarian party has never received 50,000 votes for a gubernatorial candidate, the Libertarian Party line on NYS ballots is literally first come first serve to whoever gathers the required petition signatures first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

CaptainPsyko posted:

This is sort of wrong; parties can select a nominee however they choose, but if they choose to have a statewide election, it has to go by the rules set by the state legislature.

The Working Families Party, for example, holds a convention.

Ah my mistake