Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

an actual dog posted:

I really like Gurazeni. It's a baseball show that entirely focuses on a mid-level pitcher and his money problems, which skews the perspective to the point where it rarely even tells you if his team is winning. Everything is filtered through if it's good for his carrier or not, and you get the sense that everyone around him is in their own little bubbles in the same kind of way, and it's how all that fits together.

It kind feels like a Fukumoto manga at times, but it's also kinda chipper about how everyone is reduced to how much they make. It's a funny tone and I like it.

i thought ep 2 was a bunch better than 1, especially the scene with the fake conversation between him and his mate. not constantly repeating that there’s money under the pitch helped too.

still waiting for the ed girl to appear tho! can’t imagine this to be a s2 kaiji ed situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

as a side note, the huge variation in char designs is something a big fan off.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
The scene in Gurazeni where the coaches stormed the field to protest a call was real good and also not the kind of thing you see all that often in sports anime.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Hisone to Masotan (aka TOP draGUN) is really cute and good.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
im watching kekkai sensen and it seems p fun

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm way more interested in daily life in alien hell new york city than the action stuff but it seems like it'll be more about the latter so far.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

:same:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Hisone & Masotan the dragon plane show is silly and very good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

I'm way more interested in daily life in alien hell new york city than the action stuff but it seems like it'll be more about the latter so far.

its actually mostly about the former there's plenty of episodes that barely even have fight scenes. heck theres episodes where they actually cut away from fight scenes to focus on the daily life stuff.

there's a couple of episodes that are more action-y but there's also plenty of episodes that are more slice-of-lifey, and plenty more where the action is just used to set up a gag than anything. s1 has only two episodes id really call pure action episodes.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

im not accusing it of being malicious!!!!! gently caress!

im just saying the fact that nerd stuff exists isnt enough of a joke to me and theres no interesting commentary, information, or analysis of these subcultures or why they exist. this stuff is very interesting and layered and ties into japan's cultural history and the history of its post-war reformation, its brand of feminism, and its homosexual communities in a variety of ways, and just tossing it in there unseasoned by any of that is very boring to me.

ah, so it's the ready player one of romcoms

also hell yeah I'd love to read a wotakoi that spent more time interrogating both the individual characters' connections to media and that media fandom/impact/development

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

dogsicle posted:

also hell yeah I'd love to read a wotakoi that spent more time interrogating both the individual characters' connections to media and that media fandom/impact/development
Then you want Genshiken.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
grancrest senki bought out some slick webgen animation right at a climactic moment

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

dogsicle posted:

ah, so it's the ready player one of romcoms

when will I be free from RP1?!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
We'll never be truly free of Rocket Propellant 1

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Truga posted:

We'll never be truly free of Rocket Propellant 1

Not as long as our souls are weighed down by gravity.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Motto posted:

I haven't actually seen a cooking anime but I think that's something I'm supposed to be annoyed by.

torikos the only good one because its really really loving gay and the author doesnt pretend like he knows a drat thing about real cooking

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
wotakoi is shallow fluff and sometimes that's all you want but I can see that not being engaging to everyone

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Your Parents posted:

torikos the only good one because its really really loving gay and the author doesnt pretend like he knows a drat thing about real cooking

yeah his expertise is in propositioning underage girls

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

headshot.wav

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

dogsicle posted:

so hes a manga artist

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Your Parents posted:

so hes a manga artist

For clarifications sake: Are you on the side that child prostitution is an acceptable evil or that all comic artists use child prostitutes.

Neither will save you from death, but we will accurately engrave your tombstone based on your response.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
please watch sweetness and lightning for a good cooking anime

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Sharkopath posted:

For clarifications sake: Are you on the side that child prostitution is an acceptable evil or that all comic artists use child prostitutes.

Neither will save you from death, but we will accurately engrave your tombstone based on your response.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

second gurazeni was even better than the first. good split of comedy and heartwarming/homoerotic sports drama

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Everything Burrito posted:

please watch sweetness and lightning for a good cooking anime
Or read the manga, which includes the actual recipes at the end of the chapters.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
also for manga What Did You Eat Yesterday? is super good

it's ongoing too, maybe that new BL studio could animate it

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

wotakoi is shallow fluff and sometimes that's all you want but I can see that not being engaging to everyone

Wotakoi was never really about any sort of deep analysis of the hobbyists and their lifestyles. It always seemed to be just a cute story of these two couples who also happen to be Otaku of varying degrees and types. Approaching it because the characters are otaku is probably not gonna win you over because it's not meant to be the primary focus. It's the side dish, not the main.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think I might like the Gurazeni OP more than even Joe's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCF4XGboe4Y

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

I think I might like the Gurazeni OP more than even Joe's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCF4XGboe4Y

that ruuuuules

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Gurazeni is good.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ganbare

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The second episode of GGO was good and fun, and the stakes it's setting up feel like exactly the right kind of thing for this sort of show.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Wotakoi was never really about any sort of deep analysis of the hobbyists and their lifestyles. It always seemed to be just a cute story of these two couples who also happen to be Otaku of varying degrees and types. Approaching it because the characters are otaku is probably not gonna win you over because it's not meant to be the primary focus. It's the side dish, not the main.

I'm not gonna bother at this point, but the thing seemed to be the relationship dynamics being kinda goofy because of that (i.e. confessing by going "I'll help you grind in monhun") more than anything.

Motto fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 14, 2018

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Eela6 posted:

I think the seasonal anime sickness has left me. I'm sure I'll keep up with MHA and FranXX and I'll probably check in with megalobox and golden kamuy eventually, but I'm just not as interested in trying to keep up with the season this time.

I am kind of in the same place. Since I stopped going to the gym I stopped watching anime at the gym, so I have stuff piled up on my iPad from two seasons ago at this point.

I will watch Made in Abyss someday!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

that seems like a very bad gym watch anyway

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

anyway the real shitpost is that wotakoi is the big bang theory of anime

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Motto posted:

that seems like a very bad gym watch anyway

I figure it can't be a worse gym watch than KLK, which... well, I'm not sure what my reputation is at the gym these days

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Allarion posted:

New idolw@tch schedule starting half an hour earlier now with more Aikatsu starting at 12:30 pm pdt/3:30 pm edt/7:30 pm utc on Saturdays, with a pre-show still happening before that. Pri-chan and Aikatsu are starting fresh so now's your chance to join in.

The schedule is
(preshow)Uma Musume
Kiratto Pri-Chan
Aikatsu Friends!
AKB0048
Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live

Join us in making millions of friends in https://cytu.be/r/kotori!

Technically starting in about 20 min!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Agronox posted:

I figure it can't be a worse gym watch than KLK, which... well, I'm not sure what my reputation is at the gym these days

You, uh, you might be surprised.

• Locked thread