Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I don’t have time today to explain Guild Wars to the newest Gem Boi. Can someone fill him/her in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
What color has the worst freeze/cleanse options now? Not sure if the meta has caught up with the new Green freezer, but I should probably move my goblin defense to a different color. Brown perhaps?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Guild Wars starter guide:
As a newbie, just create 6 teams all with unique troops and set them up on defense. This might be tough until you unlock enough team slots. The content of the teams won't matter at first because you'll get stomped no matter what. Once you have your defenses set be sure to fight one guild wars match each day. You can even just start it and retreat. This gives us a free 2k points each day while you are building up your troops. Eventually you will want to put some effort into making difficult to face color themed teams for defense.

When attacking, you get a significant bonus for using troops of that day's color. Eventually you'll want to build out offensive teams for each color to maximize your points.

Winning a day gets everyone 50 guild seals. It's not huge by itself, but it makes it a lot easier to hit the higher tier of guild seal rewards. The main reason to try and do well in guild wars is to stay in the higher event reward tiers to get more of the event troop.

Guild seals are another type of keys. The pool they pull from gets better the more seals the guild has collected that week. Never spend them until the guild hits 20k seals, and try and wait until we hit 40k, which happens on occasion. However, the main reward from them are base common troops called guardians. You will always get guardians from guild seals regardless of seal level until you have all 6 of them ascended to Mythic and have 4 copies in reserve.

waffles beyond waffles posted:

What color has the worst freeze/cleanse options now? Not sure if the meta has caught up with the new Green freezer, but I should probably move my goblin defense to a different color. Brown perhaps?

I'm not sure how much Hyndla will get used yet, but brown and red don't really have good mass freeze options. Red is dwarf domain, so it's probably still green or brown for goblin defense.

Edit: I've been spending my event keys one at a time like a sperg the last two legendary releases, and it has worked out for me. I spent about 26 event keys the previous one, and 46 this week. If you are patient, it will help you maximize your event keys/gems. I've got my event key/gem stash up enough that I might dump some gems into the next good mythic. (Undine seems like he sucks.)

Bandire fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 3, 2018

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

Bandire posted:

Edit: I've been spending my event keys one at a time like a sperg the last two legendary releases, and it has worked out for me. I spent about 26 event keys the previous one, and 46 this week. If you are patient, it will help you maximize your event keys/gems. I've got my event key/gem stash up enough that I might dump some gems into the next good mythic. (Undine seems like he sucks.)

Not me.. I opened like 200 event chests and got 8 Web Spinners but not a single event troop.. I hate this game sometimes.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
For the record, Undine seems targeted at the Forest Troll/Nyx/Mab meta that has been going around lately. Silences all blue troops (so even if Nyx drains a troop no mana is gained), can’t be mana drained or mana burned, and submerges itself every turn (so it’s protected from both Mab and Dawnbringer even if it is stunned later). Also does pretty good damage to a couple of enemy troops, though not quite as much as heavy hitters like Gard’s Avatar or Infernus.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I would really like to have a 20 or 25 chest option for opening event chests, I usually don't have enough that I want to throw away 50 at once and 1 at a time is so slow. Give me an option to be lazy but not too wasteful.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I appreciate the addition of the 200 option, but losing the middle key option once you have more than 50 sucks.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
It’s a mythic week, so go crazy with your orbs of clans. Get us up to 40,000 seals so guild keys count like gem keys.

Also, if we are going to start not completing guild tasks, we should discuss a prioritization for the stuff we do complete.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I won’t be as active for the next few weeks, probably. Some kinda intense family stuff going down, so my play time is likely to be very irregular.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

godface zillah posted:

I started a little over a month ago and if I did it all over again I'd finish adana asap and farm to get the mechanist class traited out and do the mechanist/2xbombot/mech of choice team. It's cheap to build and super fast when farming traitstones and money from the easy pvp match. Once you unlock the last mechanist trait and get the dwarven banner from khaziel you will fill a bombot with one brown match. Two bombs will usually wipe any explore and either wipe or leave the easy pvp match on its last legs.

Just want to say, made this team and it made grinding so easy. Especially once I finally unlocked the last trait of the Mechanic Class. I was able to wipe out quests in minutes and farm high tier trait stones much faster than with the conventional teams I was using.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Good week to trait Mechanist. Buy some extra stones for the bounty captain next week. I think it's an ultra rare, so it shouldn't take too many.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Well, we got close enough to 40k that I was able to close the gap with my minor orbs. Go hog wild with your guild chests for the next 26 hours. Good luck pulling the new mythic, everyone!

Edit: pulled Undine in my third batch of 50 guild keys. This whole “40k seals” thing is quite nice if we can all hoard our orbs of clans for the mythic exclusive weeks.

Fake edit: still don’t have Sol’Zara or Chief Stronghorn. I’ve gotten every single mythic to drop since those two were released, but I can’t find or forge them.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 8, 2018

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Spent 4k guild seals and didn't get him. Bought 10 VIP keys, nabbed him first pull. Too bad it's the only arcane stones I don't have. Maybe I'll dive into some explore tonight for em.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I spent like 4k glory, 400 gem, and 20 VIP, nothing.

Spent my 5000 Guild Seals, and got two copies of him. :v:

Oh, Bandire. I passed the lead back to you.

So next week is raid and bounty and after VIP keys I have 49 gems.

1-Up
Aug 8, 2007

So what best? 50 rare chests or 10 vip chests?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I burned all my keys and seals with no luck. I'm saving gems for next month.

I think gem for gem VIP chests end up having around twice the mythic pull rate as gem keys, but taransworld.com has key rates.

I'm going on a cruise for a couple weeks on the 19th, so I'll probably toss the hot potato of leadership to Grundulum then.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Cool beans. Enjoy the cruise. :toot:

And in response to the earlier question, 10 VIP chests is better than 50 glory chests if you are trying for legendary or mythic troops. It’s also better than 50 gem chests, though the margin is a bit closer.

Edit: a trip report on my defenses these past two days.

Dragon Banner
Crimson Bat***
Hellcat
Forest Guardian***
Yao Guai***

Went 9 wins vs 7 losses

Blue/green banner
Forest Troll***
Nyx***
Dawnbringer (Titan hero***)
Queen Mab***

Went 10 wins, 4 losses. I am terrified of when this becomes a common team to face in Guild Wars.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 8, 2018

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

I already want Dawnbringer nerfed into the ground

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Grundulum posted:

Blue/green banner
Forest Troll***
Nyx***
Dawnbringer (Titan hero***)
Queen Mab***

Went 10 wins, 4 losses. I am terrified of when this becomes a common team to face in Guild Wars.

My dwarf team is my only team that can easily beat this team, which means I don't have anything that can do much on guild wars days.

Sagers
Oct 21, 2004

It's all about the teasing and not about the pleasing.
My pet team to match up against the Forest Troll/Nyx/x/Mab is Alchemist/Money Lender/Queen Titania/Voice of Orpheus with Lantern Banner.

I can usually charge up Alchemist before Forest Troll gets rolling. Money Lender's mana generation after one Alchemist cast rarely ever misses and the passive cleanse from Orpheus from Alchemist matches helps clear up any Frozen inflicted by the enemy Mab so you can keep looping. Just keep looping and casting Titania when you have a guaranteed free turn. I felt this was more engaging than using the "mash Gorgotha and Infernus to win".

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
What are you all pairing with the boss killer this week? I'm running with Mang so far (and a Bone Dragon and something else).

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I prefer Keeper of Souls over Bone Dragon.

godface zillah
Nov 18, 2012

I'm using mang, kos, godkiller, and bastite. Bastite isn't as useful as I would like but even if the transform doesn't line up she has purple magic link.

e: some guildies are switching out kos for skeleton for the extra turn

godface zillah fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 10, 2018

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
This event is so boring.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

It's not great. Having Dust Devil in the opponent troop pool is really obnoxious too.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
If anyone is looking for a fast Raid team this week, try

Abyssal banner
Mang
Aziris***
Aziris***
Morterra (or another Aziris)

Thanks to the +4/+5 to purple matches, you’ll be filling up those bottom three troops quite quickly. And Mang will make sure those skulls get put to good use. As always, it’s nice if you can arrange your hero class so it starts with half mana.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I've been using Archer*** with Mang. Half maba and a 15% chance to one-shot on skull matches anyways.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

waffles beyond waffles posted:

This event is so boring.

...yeah

:sigh:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Someone convince me not to spend 200 more gems on Tier 7 for Bounty. I’d get 20 of them back from reward tier 20. And right now (somehow) I’m in the top 100 on the global leaderboard, so if that held up I’d get 75+ more in rewards. A major and minor orb for 100 gems isn’t a horrible deal, honestly.

Edit: and 400k for 40 glory keys is much better than 300k for 20. Next week we should just agree that one of yellow/brown will stop at shards, and do the 10th task in the other.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 14, 2018

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

If you have the gems and already bought tier 6 you might as well get 7. I only bought to 5, but I used an ascension orb on this troop because it seems like one I'd use in future events.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I picked the game back up after a little break. Are there any spots in a guild left?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

MarcusSA posted:

I picked the game back up after a little break. Are there any spots in a guild left?

I just made a spot for you since Lblizter isn't playing at the moment. Post your invite code again please.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bandire posted:

I just made a spot for you since Lblizter isn't playing at the moment. Post your invite code again please.

Thanks it’s

MARCUSSA

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I have been sick with the flu for the past two weeks, which has impacted my ambition to do pretty much anything except sleep. I haven't even touched PVP this week. Too many events this week, surely.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks it’s

MARCUSSA

Invite sent.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Do you need an explanation of the four new game modes (Gnomes, Bounty, Raid, Invasion)?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grundulum posted:

Do you need an explanation of the four new game modes (Gnomes, Bounty, Raid, Invasion)?

That would be handy. I think I figured out he raid one I mean I cleared up to the boss and now I assume I just hit him over and over till the bar fills up?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh yeah and I have like 5000 common keys. Should I just open them all at once or is there any reason to hold onto them?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
New kingdom comes out on May 11, supposedly. If you save your gold keys till then, you can get a bunch of troops from it. Alternately, you can open stuff now and try to get in on the Bounty event. Don’t have time to explain in detail just yet, but if you can make teams with “Bounty” in their description you can play that mini-game for a while and earn some cool stuff. More cool stuff if you are willing to spend gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh cool I’ll check that out.

What the quickest way to get the 1500 seals for the guild?