Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You could probably make a team of Batman origin parody characters by now.

I just want to see the return of Open Window Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Madkal posted:

Or Dirty Harry.

Thank you, Dwayne McDuffie. And guidelines limiting what characters he could use.

Strictly speaking it was seeing a western instead of Zorro but the concept's the same.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Batman loves guns!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

nofather posted:

Thank you, Dwayne McDuffie. And guidelines limiting what characters he could use.

Strictly speaking it was seeing a western instead of Zorro but the concept's the same.

Finally a Batman who did what needed to be done. Kill the Joker.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I have no idea what just happened in JLA but I loved it.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I'm still liking Sideways, though the twist was not particularly surprising (another two comics came out today that had the same thing happen ~20 issues ago, it's basically standard comic fare right now).

Showing the potential weaponization of his power was interesting, however.

He's been having trouble with a speedster. He avoided and distracted her by opening and closing portals. Unfortunately she was a little quicker than his portal closing ability and when he used it to get away from her he ended up taking her hand and forearm with him through the portal.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's a little jarring how Sideways treats a mountain erupting in Gotham as a massive tragedy with civilian victims when nothing else, including Metal, really cared beyond the spectacle.

edit: That reminds me to look forward to Tom King's superhero therapy project.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Did they seriously include accidental dismemberment in their Spider-man analogue comic?

Hoping that's not as bad as it sounds, but I'm kind of glad I decided to drop Sideways at #2.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

glitchwraith posted:

Did they seriously include accidental dismemberment in their Spider-man analogue comic?
With awesome power... something something responsible use.

I always wondered about Thin Portal supers: couldn't they just place a shitload at, like, a parallel or perpendicular angle to someone and cut them in half? Assuming it's like the portal is only visible head on and whatnot

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

FilthyImp posted:

With awesome power... something something responsible use.

I always wondered about Thin Portal supers: couldn't they just place a shitload at, like, a parallel or perpendicular angle to someone and cut them in half? Assuming it's like the portal is only visible head on and whatnot

That literally comes up in this issue.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Immortal Men was a bit bleh, but one of the best low key things about the New 52 that Rebirth didn't really have was offbeat teams like Demon Knights, so there's a little bit of warm fuzziness to get that back.
I hope it picks up. I trust ya, JT4.

edit: And then there's The Unexpected. Orlando's lost me pretty hard with JLA, but I still hope for the best for the two issues of Ryan Sook interiors we'll get this decade.

ee: Neat. I didn't know it was a legacy DC title till now.

-------

EDIT!:
https://twitter.com/drinkpinkink/status/984478380211892224

Hopefully they fit in some of those 90's Marvel style summer pin-ups

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 12, 2018

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's a little jarring how Sideways treats a mountain erupting in Gotham as a massive tragedy with civilian victims when nothing else, including Metal, really cared beyond the spectacle.

edit: That reminds me to look forward to Tom King's superhero therapy project.

I mean didn't the end of Metal just undo everything of significant loss? It's like they wrote that without knowing the end of Metal.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's referred to as a past event and depicted in flashback. Sideways got his powers falling down a dark matter hole in the ground.
Just seeing a memorial spot on the ground with photos and cards and candles was like, huh.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 12, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nofather posted:

Dwayne was too good for this world. The issue also had a bunch of weird and amusing alt analogues for the JL including a call back to an early proposal for a "Black" superhero that would later be developed into Black Lightning.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Supposedly this is how the Variants will look from now on.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Every cover should look like that.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I mean didn't the end of Metal just undo everything of significant loss? It's like they wrote that without knowing the end of Metal.

No? It was sort of the same like after every event, things were fixed but there's still damage (we still see the Batman Who Laughs in Immortal Men, for instance, and something just popped up in GL).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's referred to as a past event and depicted in flashback. Sideways got his powers falling down a dark matter hole in the ground.
Just seeing a memorial spot on the ground with photos and cards and candles was like, huh.
Oh god its Bloodlines all over again.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

nofather posted:

No? It was sort of the same like after every event, things were fixed but there's still damage (we still see the Batman Who Laughs in Immortal Men, for instance, and something just popped up in GL).

Yeah but all the massive obvious loss of life and world destroying consequences and stuff was wished out of existence at the end. So Gotham got mountain'd but then they unmountain'd it.

I mean this is like the third time Snyder's destroyed Gotham. It can't even be that big a deal anymore.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 13, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

No Justice #1 preview
https://www.newsarama.com/39512-justice-league-no-justice-1-preview.html

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
...So many tentacles in such a short span of pages. :raise:

Looks pretty. And I really like it when other DC teams are actually referenced in books.

e: I don't like that Simon and Jessica continue to be absent from this story, even in the GL shot. They've added a great dynamic to the JL since Rebirth and it irks me that Snyder never seems to remember them. They're probably going to be the only things I miss from the current League status quo when it gets rejiggered.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 13, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I like Jaime Reyes when he first appeared in 2001. Since then, I kind of forgot he existed.

What's worth reading featuring him?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Covok posted:

I like Jaime Reyes when he first appeared in 2001. Since then, I kind of forgot he existed.

He first appeared in 2006.

Read 1-25 of his first ongoing book, then stop.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Covok posted:

:goonsay: Well, he first appeared in 2005/06.

What's worth reading is his first solo series, and the Booster Gold arc with him, Ted, and Dan. Although you should just read that entire Booster Gold series (and 52 if you haven't). That's honestly about it.

He's pretty good in Batman: Brave and the Bold too.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rhyno posted:

He first appeared in 2006.

Read 1-25 of his first ongoing book, then stop.

I have the first 4 tradebacks which collects issues 1 to 26.

That's it? Really? I bought those years ago. That's all the good stories featuring Jaime?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Covok posted:

That's it? Really? I bought those years ago. That's all the good stories featuring Jaime?

The last part of his first series is kind of underwhelming. His New 52 series is hot garbage. It's like someone read his original run while drunk and tried to retell it later while only remembering a few major beats. It's really utter poo poo. I only read a few issues of his Rebirth series but it was pretty blah.

As said above, he shows up on Batman tBatB and is great.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Covok posted:

Also Booster Gold #0 and 7-11, by Geoff Johns, Jeff Katz, and Dan Jurgens. Jaime is great in that story.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rhyno posted:

The last part of his first series is kind of underwhelming. His New 52 series is hot garbage. It's like someone read his original run while drunk and tried to retell it later while only remembering a few major beats. It's really utter poo poo. I only read a few issues of his Rebirth series but it was pretty blah.

As said above, he shows up on Batman tBatB and is great.

The best way I have to describe Bedard's run on Blue Beetle is he purposefully tried to do the exact OPPOSITE of the original run. So Jaime was hiding his superpowers from his family, he had a crush on Brenda even though they were just friends there was an EVIL Scarab, it was way more 'stereotypical' for the character.

Again, it was like they looked at everything the original run did and went "The opposite of that."

Which also meant it wasn't very good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Superman 1 and Action Comics 1001 solicits
http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/04/13/exclusive-brian-michael-bendis-superman-action-comics/

quote:

SUPERMAN #1

written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
art and cover by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO
variant cover by ADAM HUGHES
variant cover by DAVID MACK
A bold new chapter for the greatest superhero of all time begins here as the superstar team of writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Ivan Reis begin their run on the all-new SUPERMAN! The fallout from the Man of Steel miniseries has Clark Kent looking at the world through new eyes...with new ideas about what Superman could and should do for the city of Metropolis and the planet Earth. His first job? Getting the planet back out of the Phantom Zone!
ON SALE 07.11.18
$3.99 US | 32 PAGES
FC | RATED T

quote:

ACTION COMICS #1,001

written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
art and cover by PATRICK GLEASON
variant cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL
variant cover by DAVID MACK
Acclaimed writer Brian Michael Bendis’ new chapter for the Man of Steel and the world of tomorrow begins here! The devastating repercussions from the Man of Steel miniseries still reverberate as Metropolis enters a new age! The Daily Planet teeters on the brink of disaster! A new criminal element has made its way onto the streets of Superman’s hometown! The longest- running superhero comic of all time explodes off the page with art by fan favorite Patrick Gleason.
ON SALE 07.25.18
$3.99 US | 32 PAGES
FC | RATED T

Spoiler is just in case that's a plot point in the MoS miniseries.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 14, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Given that they made a big deal out of bringing back the trunks they sure are hiding it on the covers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Given that they made a big deal out of bringing back the trunks they sure are hiding it on the covers.

It doesn't look at all hidden on Superman.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like the premises of those. Pretty excited.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

It doesn't look at all hidden on Superman.

It's a little more obvious when enlarged, but at first it looked like an oversized red belt with where the frame cuts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

It's a little more obvious when enlarged, but at first it looked like an oversized red belt with where the frame cuts.

I guess? Right under the yellow belt?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Now I'm picturing Superman's new costume having entirely red leggings instead of just undies.

e:

Weird. Full pants just make me think Jay Garrick.

edit: Titans solicit in case people want a look at Miss Martian.

quote:

TITANS #23

written by DAN ABNETT
art by BRANDON PETERSON
Cover by RYAN SOOK and BRANDON PETERSON
variant cover by STJEPAN SEJIC
Can anything stop the Metagene pandemic unleashed through the events of JUSTICE LEAGUE: NO JUSTICE? The all-new Titans are on the case. Roll call: Nightwing, Donna Troy, Raven, Steel, Beast Boy and Miss Martian! But can even their combined might stand against new super-powered weapons of mass destruction birthed by the Metagenes? And (SPOILERS) how will the events of TEEN TITANS #20 come back to haunt the Titans? New enemies are out for blood in part one of “The Spark.”
ON SALE 07.18.18

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 14, 2018

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Now I'm picturing Superman's new costume having entirely red leggings instead of just undies.

e:

It does look like he's getting ready to jog but is not a bad look.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Teenage Fansub posted:

e:

edit: Titans solicit in case people want a look at Miss Martian.

The one true red legs Superman :)

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 15, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Toss some blue piping down those legs, or red up to the shirt and it would be more balanced.

Bring back Superman Red and have him wear red pants

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Red legs superman gives me omac vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

To be honest, i think he looked better with the belt, but shrug.