Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

LLENN is actually a tactical genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

LLENN is actually a tactical genius.

On a side note - I'm glad this episode changed up the backgrounds quite a bit. All the IRL stuff and more exotic in-game locations put a whole lot more color on the screen than the first episode's PUBG match did.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

LLENN and P-chan contending for best romance of Spring 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

LLENN and P-chan contending for best romance of Spring 2018

hosed up considering P-chan was bought, and is also her child.

Also it looks like our protagonist actually is very tall, rather than just being the shocking height of like 5'8".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

hosed up considering P-chan was bought, and is also her child.

Also it looks like our protagonist actually is very tall, rather than just being the shocking height of like 5'8".
she's 6'0''

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Alder posted:

when will I be free from RP1?!

Caligula is like opposite-RPO: imagine if the main characters realized how awful the Oasis really was and become known as terrorists trying to destroy the world, against all the other nerds who think being permanently extremely online is awesome and want to stay.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Alfheim online has the worst character creation system I've ever seen.

It don't even tell you what each race of fairies is.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Every single game uses the same random gen character creation?? What the heck

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
TOP draGUN is amazing. I’m hooked. The art style is different to what I’m used to and took a few minutes to get, but it’s part of the charm.

superLINUS fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 14, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

In the grim darkness of the VR future, choice is an illusion.

Also she towered over the guy in the store, but I suppose he could have just been very short. Also shot framing, etc.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm going to keep watching the new logh but growing more conflicted about it every week

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sharkopath posted:

Alfheim online has the worst character creation system I've ever seen.

It don't even tell you what each race of fairies is.

Each race is basically a class onto itself, which makes the PvP faction system they have unplayably unbalanced.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Sharkopath posted:

This made me :raise: too until I thought a bit about game design while watching: giving people full control over their character creation upfront would probably do more damage than good in several ways. People already spend tons of time upfront designing their characters, in VR this might actually kill them. Less snarkily, getting people into the game quicker with some presets and adjusting later is a much better design, since those that want to customise view it as a reward anyways, so may as well make it one. And being handed a character based on a range of your specs does feel more personal.

This also is handwaved by the exposition that this is only the 2nd gen of VR games. By the 5th gen I'm sure there will be games that are almost entirely based on character customizations. Like character creation was just less developed when Everquest/WoW began versus RPGs now. There just weren't options to play a pretty princess maker like Guild Wars 2 back in 2004.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 14, 2018

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

GGO is cool and I hope it strikes the balance between pastoral character interaction and cool action more in the future.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ggo will build up to a climactic finish and then the last scene is a dumb goofy reveal that tall girl was just her friend all this time

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I like that its a show where the main character actually just plays the game as it's intended to be played and has fun doing it. And she PK's and isn't treated like an rear end in a top hat for it.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
It’s not written by the original series’ author, right? That might explain why it’s good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I haven't watched it yet, but does it suffer the problem the main series did of trying to treat an FPS like an MMORPG?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I haven't watched it yet, but does it suffer the problem the main series did of trying to treat an FPS like an MMORPG?
haha, yeah, theres no such thing as an fps with heavy mmorpg elements

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Near as I can tell, it just is an MMOFPS. Like Destiny.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Amanchu continues to be very good. Takomama's are tough

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, as long as the MMO and FPS elements are more well-blended and it's not just "SAO BUT ALSO CALL OF DUTY"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Futaba Anzu posted:

ggo will build up to a climactic finish and then the last scene is a dumb goofy reveal that tall girl was just her friend all this time

I'd bet a fair bit her friend is gonna be that tiny blonde with the grenade launchers we've seen in the OP.

Anyway yeah, VR aside GGO totally looks like a game that could exist today. Big map with some Destiny-style PvE with some PUBG-y PvP modes in their own instances.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Neeksy posted:

It’s not written by the original series’ author, right? That might explain why it’s good.
It was written by the author of Kino's Journey, which explains why it's good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

reki kawahara is a fine author. the sword art online progressive novels are straight up good, and sao has a few decent arcs in and of itself. and accel world is basic but enjoyable.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

SAO's first plot is okay it's just Kirito is so...Kirito it drains the fun out of it. Well, the second arc is also horribly written too

GGO is fun though and I'm actually going to watch all of it which is the biggest surprise

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

To my understanding SAO is a polished up version of something he wrote a good while back that happened to get picked up along with accel world, so I'm not surprised that it has more issues than later stuff.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Motto posted:

To my understanding SAO is a polished up version of something he wrote a good while back that happened to get picked up along with accel world, so I'm not surprised that it has more issues than later stuff.

Wasn't OG SAO written when he was like 17 or something silly like that?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Endorph posted:

reki kawahara is a fine author. the sword art online progressive novels are straight up good, and sao has a few decent arcs in and of itself. and accel world is basic but enjoyable.

I think he has good ideas but because of how he churns poo poo out, he can't really think it through well enough. He's extremely impressive for the amount of content he puts out though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Spiritus Nox posted:

Wasn't OG SAO written when he was like 17 or something silly like that?

He might have been as young as 15.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
I wonder what the biggest technical hurdles in making an openworld mmo-FPS would be in the present day? I'd imagine a huge issue would be draw range for sniping, especially if there is no real projectile. Both modern MMO's and shooters use TCP for important data, right? So that wouldn't be an issue? I wish I knew more about networking.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Server lag/ping would be the big one as the more players you have on the more it would mess with things. It's why shooters tend to have caps for matches that are smaller than open world MMO's

We probably won't see a full scale Action/shooter MMO till most of the internet is on Fibre which won't happen any time soon (in North America)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There might also be an issue keeping players if it's open pvp with low time to kill. The optical vs physical distinction with players having some protection against pve weapons apparently did not much matter.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Server lag/ping would be the big one as the more players you have on the more it would mess with things. It's why shooters tend to have caps for matches that are smaller than open world MMO's

We probably won't see a full scale Action/shooter MMO till most of the internet is on Fibre which won't happen any time soon (in North America)

Oh right. Also that.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
that was some awkward rear end combat animation in p5

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Gurazeni is cool but from the description I thought it'd be a lot more intense like Kaiji or something. That said it's nice to see an anime that focuses on the performance and statistics aspect of baseball and all the character designs are nice and varied. The soundtrack is really good too.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Blhue posted:

oh good, it wasn't just me

the anime seems maybe not good, at least from a non-fan/unfamiliar perspective.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Blhue posted:

It was Turn based combat but animated!
The style could almost carry it but as an anime I was expecting some actual action

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It was Turn based combat but animated!
The style could almost carry it but as an anime I was expecting some actual action

the style didn't bother me, it was just very jerky and every action felt abrupt. Worrying to have them cutting corners this early in the production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nephthys posted:

I like that its a show where the main character actually just plays the game as it's intended to be played and has fun doing it. And she PK's and isn't treated like an rear end in a top hat for it.

And her scary bloodthirsty rival is actually just her friend who she’s made a bet with because they both think it would be fun.

That said, she’s totally going to turn out to be that idol she’s a fan of, isn’t she?

• Locked thread