Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Looks like the Scud is on top again and all the haters are melting down. Forza Ferrari!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Khablam posted:

He could just like, not do it.

Vettel can market his sponsors products too. Or he could, if he wasn't as marketable as a dog-poo poo souffle

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

NtotheTC posted:

Vettel can market his sponsors products too. Or he could, if he wasn't as marketable as a dog-poo poo souffle

Oh I’m fairly confident he’s on billboards all over Africa.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

learnincurve posted:

Oh I’m fairly confident he’s on billboards all over Africa.

They all think he's simple jack. Tropic Thunder is very big in Africa.

Also, all of Vettel's sponsors are just doing it to launder money and don't actually need to market anything to anybody.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nLo_ZoOGX8

Forza Ferrari

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Vettel should get a 5 place grid penalty for his haircut.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Khablam posted:

He could just like, not do it.

He’s also sponsored by Nike

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

DoctorGonzo posted:

McLaren is already talking about a b car, right?

“B cars” aren’t really a thing anymore. It’s more like B-G cars now because they are updated so often.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's pretty rare to make big enough chassis changes mid season to qualify as a b car.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DoctorGonzo posted:

McLaren is already talking about a b car, right?

Don't think they've even gotten to the 'a' car yet.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The mid-90s basically put an end to using the same basic chassis 2 years in a row. I think Minardi were the last ones to do it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Frond posted:

The mid-90s basically put an end to using the same basic chassis 2 years in a row. I think Minardi were the last ones to do it.

MP4-17D my dude

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Only 2 years.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Marussia ran '15 with their '14 car with minimal modifications to meet some new regs. They even called it the MR03B.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Something odd is going on for sure.

Williams slower.
Force India can’t keep up.
Lewis only 0.003 faster in quali than last year

Meanwhile at Ferrari they are 0.7 faster than last year’s quali.

I’m going to go with Mercedes works and customer cars not being allowed to burn oil rather than some magic Ferrari cheat mode - It’s hard to see how they could be using the oil in some sneaky way given that you can see it pissing out the back of the car all race.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

learnincurve posted:

I’m going to go with Mercedes works and customer cars not being allowed to burn oil rather than some magic Ferrari cheat mode - It’s hard to see how they could be using the oil in some sneaky way given that you can see it pissing out the back of the car all race.

There is a million ways you can still cheat. They could be throwing hydraulic fluid into the combustion chamber to burn.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

The Kimoa Kid posted:

MP4-17D my dude

Pablo Bluth posted:

Marussia ran '15 with their '14 car with minimal modifications to meet some new regs. They even called it the MR03B.

I stand corrected. Sorry!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Williams slower.

Williams - a technical department with no money who built a flawed car, driven by the chuckle brothers, supported by an over-the-hill test driver.
Force India - a poor team who have been caught up with by reality after a string of over-achieving cars.
Mercedes - a team who have never really understood the Pirelli tyres as well as some of the other teams, and who no longer have a massive engine advance to cover up the days when they can't get the tyres to work.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I don't hold a high opinion of Paddy Lowe but Mercedes did seem to have some grasp and level of understanding of the Pirellis when he was there. Whether there is a correlation or its just coincidence idk.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Frond posted:

I stand corrected. Sorry!
They actually tried asking for special permission to start the year with the actual '14 car while they built a true '15 car. Fellow paupers and general party poopers Force India said nope. So they made the minimal changes required, called it a B spec and claimed there would be a proper 15 car later. They closed shop at the end of the season without ever making a new spec chassis.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't hold a high opinion of Paddy Lowe but Mercedes did seem to have some grasp and level of understanding of the Pirellis when he was there. Whether there is a correlation or its just coincidence idk.
I didn't say no understanding. Just they've been prone to the odd weekend when they can't get the tyres in to the right window.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

Williams slower.

They are still allowed to burn some oil, however a big change that wasn't really talked about is you now have to run the same oil formulation in qualifying and the race, which is new for 2018. No more super lightweight qualifying oils.

I'm leaning towards Merc really working on the tire wear issues that Ferrari had them beat on in 2017, and they've gotten to the point where they are so 'gentle' on the tries they couldn't get the tire temps up high enough during the out lap to really turn on the tires in the way Ferrari managed to. I don't think we will see the same gap going forward because no other track in the calendar will be as cold as this race is turning out to be, though the track should be warmer on Sunday, and that may be just enough.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EoRaptor posted:

They are still allowed to burn some oil, however a big change that wasn't really talked about is you now have to run the same oil formulation in qualifying and the race, which is new for 2018. No more super lightweight qualifying oils.

I'm leaning towards Merc really working on the tire wear issues that Ferrari had them beat on in 2017, and they've gotten to the point where they are so 'gentle' on the tries they couldn't get the tire temps up high enough during the out lap to really turn on the tires in the way Ferrari managed to. I don't think we will see the same gap going forward because no other track in the calendar will be as cold as this race is turning out to be, though the track should be warmer on Sunday, and that may be just enough.

Yeah the times on the soft tires are very close, Merc is just struggling to heat up the ultrasofts. I think Wolff even said as much in an interview.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

They actually tried asking for special permission to start the year with the actual '14 car while they built a true '15 car. Fellow paupers and general party poopers Force India said nope. So they made the minimal changes required, called it a B spec and claimed there would be a proper 15 car later. They closed shop at the end of the season without ever making a new spec chassis.

This is not true. They raced in 2016 using a Merc engine and a new car. It obviously wasn't very good, but it wasn't an old chassis.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Pablo Bluth posted:

I didn't say no understanding. Just they've been prone to the odd weekend when they can't get the tyres in to the right window.

The rear axle is overworking the tires. Its why they've had a preference for harder compounds since it generates less heat. The fact that it's a reoccurring issue to me says they don't understand it, if they did they would've fixed it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I suspect that some share of Mercedes success can be attributed to the tyres blowing up in 2013 and Pirelli going super conservative on their compounds which probably masked the issues they had. Like everything else this is Red Bull's fault and they should be banned from the sport.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

Red Bull should be banned from the sport.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Most races they have 3 tires that are in a row as far as durability, right?

I'm trying to remember a race that jumped a level like this, normal, soft, and then ultrasoft not supersoft. But maybe I wasn't paying enough attention to some races last year?

Feels like more pressure from Liberty to spice up the sport, along with the added/increased DRS zones we've seen so far.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Liberty seems good so far.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Most races they have 3 tires that are in a row as far as durability, right?

I'm trying to remember a race that jumped a level like this, normal, soft, and then ultrasoft not supersoft. But maybe I wasn't paying enough attention to some races last year?

Feels like more pressure from Liberty to spice up the sport, along with the added/increased DRS zones we've seen so far.

I'm sure there was one, but I also recall it went ultra, super, then medium, and was useless. Everybody just ran the super. Or maybe super, soft, then hard? It jumped at the top end, not the bottom end.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKnAq3GZNXY

He gets to Ricciardo at around 3m10s mark and the first thing Will Buxton says is "Word to your boys."

This is NOT ok.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ted gave Leclerc some cookie or something? SKy f1 is loving trash

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Buxton occasionally posts something good on the internet but his grid walks and poo poo are nearly as awful as Brundle and Ted.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

1500quidporsche posted:

The rear axle is overworking the tires. Its why they've had a preference for harder compounds since it generates less heat. The fact that it's a reoccurring issue to me says they don't understand it, if they did they would've fixed it.

I remember James Allison's Renaults were always great with getting tires to work, so I assume given a little more time they'll have it figured out.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Paddy Slow

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

gret posted:

I remember James Allison's Renaults were always great with getting tires to work, so I assume given a little more time they'll have it figured out.

James Allison’s Renaults also had Nick the Norse working on them.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

#RehireRon

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
McLaren: a team majority owned by Bahrain and with essentially unlimited resources is a shitfuck of an rear end and desperately needs an entire top level reshuffle.

Fire Zak Brown. Fire Boullier. Fire Everyone burn WOKING DOT THE THE FUCKIGN GROUND

Then rehire Ron.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

wtf