Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

yeah, you know what it is
baba booey
baba booey
baba booey
baba booey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Baa baa boo ee, why you gotta frown?
lost their star, now melting down

(I’m sorry)

What’s the consensus nowadays on emote and catchphrase posting? I can recall times where :smug: or posting image macros outside a specific thread or even more than once on the same page could earn a probation. In retrospect it’s a bit funny, but realistically too draconian to apply all over the place.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I always thought Baba Booey sounded like some sort of lentil stew. Probably with lots of cumin and thyme.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

exploded mummy posted:

a mod melted down and lost a star because he probated and banned somebody for posting "baba booey", and then started to probate the person later because they PMed them "baba booey"

This is almost the ur-saga for SA.

Petty as all hell.
Incredibly detailed.
Aggressively boring.
With a dash of who cares.

I love it. Keep ‘em coming.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY0DfFlzcBk

feat. our very own B___ B____

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

i used to think immortal anime was a lameass who magically got out of a permaban but now that oxballs is gone I gotta say he might be the greatest poster on these dead gay forums0

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This is even better than the incident that got the old PHIZ moderator demodded, because that one didn't end in a big whiny meltdown post.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i found a website that can summarize

quote:

1) A user was posting a Howard Stern related running gag in the Howard Stern thread. I can't be arsed to check.
10.5) Again, can't be arsed, but I think for coming off his short probe-- wait, I think it was coming off the probe AND posting in the Howard Stern thread something like "gently caress you bitch rear end mod you can't touch me".

https://www.textcompactor.com

thats pretty sassy but ill allow it

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I actually respect the fact Immortal Anime stuck for such a long time to the joke, the Howard Stern thread didn't really move that fast anyways.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The best mod meltdown was when El Spider volunteered to mod GBS in a QCS thread, was made a GBS mod, did something to make Lowtax probate him, and he started probating people to use the probation reason as a means of trying to desperately contact Lowtax. This all occurred within like 48 hours or less, if memory serves.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Krankenstyle posted:

i found a website that can summarize

thats pretty sassy but ill allow it

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
LorneKates sounds completely reasonable.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The best mod meltdown was when El Spider volunteered to mod GBS in a QCS thread, was made a GBS mod, did something to make Lowtax probate him, and he started probating people to use the probation reason as a means of trying to desperately contact Lowtax. This all occurred within like 48 hours or less, if memory serves.
What made Lowtax probate El Spider was his refusal to "[g]as threads entitled "friend of the family" or some variation thereof."

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3752220&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

get that OUT of my face has a new favorite as of 04:43 on Apr 14, 2018

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

get that OUT of my face posted:

What made Lowtax probate El Spider was his refusal to "[g]as threads entitled "friend of the family" or some variation thereof."

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3752220&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

That's right - I remember the weirdly strident meltdown more than I do anything else, but that thread brought it all back.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

(I’m sorry)

What’s the consensus nowadays on emote and catchphrase posting? I can recall times where :smug: or posting image macros outside a specific thread or even more than once on the same page could earn a probation. In retrospect it’s a bit funny, but realistically too draconian to apply all over the place.

Try to resist the goon instinct to run a joke into the ground and out again on the other side of the planet.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

(I’m sorry)

nobody gives a gently caress anymore, and if they do repost the catchphrase in a pm to them and you'll get a 23 point meltdown.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I didn't read the entirety of that meltdown but i'm glad that mod suffered since I was one of the people reporting IA for blatant thread making GBS threads and I somehow caught a ban without breaking any rules. Lost my avatar too.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

the incident that got the old PHIZ moderator demodded

Do tell.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BiggerBoat posted:

I didn't read the entirety of that meltdown but i'm glad that mod suffered since I was one of the people reporting IA for blatant thread making GBS threads and I somehow caught a ban without breaking any rules. Lost my avatar too.

FAU approved that ban. If he agrees with you that you didn't deserve it, he should be able to reinstate what you improperly lost.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

cross-posted because it was quite a saga to watch unfolding

The punchline may be an untranslateable idiom, but the situation kinda reminds me of a goon saga from back when the forums were so big that it seemed like every news story directly or tangentially involved a goon somehow.

In 2004, as the Dave Matthews Band tour bus was crossing a bridge into Chicago, the roadie driving it dumped the septic tank thinking it would just fall into the river. Instead he scored a direct hit on a crowded sightseeing ferry passing underneath, showering tourists with 800 pounds of human waste like a napalm strike.

[the doomed vessel]

[artists impression of the attack]

The tour guides worked to keep the passengers calm as the ferry crew tried to hose the sewage off of everyone and everything. One of the guides, a goon whose name I forget, noticed that the flag on the ships stern had been hit. The US has a bunch of rules about disrespecting its flag, and not wanting some elderly veteran to notice and have a heart attack over it or something he gingerly folded the poo poo-stained ensign and put it a plastic bag for later disposal.

[brave goon preserves national dignity]

He got home and was reporting in to the forums right before the story hit the news wire. There was some initial skepticism, but as interviews with victims trickled in it turns out a bunch of old codgers had indeed noticed and they told a story of the hero tour guide they had witnessed displaying great patriotism by lowering and folding the disgraced flag with utmost respect. I think he got an interview and story of his own in the local papers.

The DMB closed ranks and denied everything, but an investigation established incontrovertible proof of guilt. The driver got fines and probation.

[forensic evidence]

[excerpt from the Attorney General's complaint]

[memorial]

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Immortal Anime is insanely bad but that meltdown is so good. I'm torn.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Immortal Anime truly is the Dave Matthews Band poo poo Bus of the forums

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

not sure what the context was but this meltdown got both stickied and gassed:

Noni posted:

I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT AND I'D DO IT AGAIN.

That's right. I banned him. Ooooooh yeah, and it feel so drat good to ban him. You guys should try this poo poo sometimes. Daaaaaaaaammmn. Getting high on banning the hamcat. I'm gonna ban that cat when he gets back and just sit back and let that poo poo soak into my brain and tingly my spinal cord. Feels good. Hamcat, rereg, dammit. I need a motherfucking fix.

What's nice when you smoke a hamcat is to let it post around 35 lovely threads and then BAM! Gas them all and light up that hamcat all in one big puff and get prepared for a trip to outer space: population Noni.

I can't help it guys. I'm addicted to banning that salty feline and can't be stopped. Hahahaha suck it.

Gonna sticky this thing. A big old hamcat head on a post as a warning.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I forgot the name of the guy who modded PHIZ, but he also got angry about FYAD trolls in the forum because they'd keep posting in the "What are you listening to right now?" thread with "Ween." He tried to queue bans for posters that kept making those posts, but the admins refused to accept them. I'm not sure whether he stepped down on his own accord or whether other admins and mods came to the decision, but he never made a rambling post like that after it happened.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He was removed iirc because he kept queuing probations for ppl posting ween

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
They should really make it clear when they offer someone to be a mod that anytime some FYAD assholes decide to invade their forum, admin+Lowtax will side with FYAD.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They should really make it clear when they offer someone to be a mod that anytime some FYAD assholes decide to invade their forum, admin+Lowtax will side with FYAD.

Posting baba booey is not an invasion, idiot.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rusty Staub wasn't demodded for probating for ween, posting ween is still probatable, he was probated for trying to ban net cafe scandal or whoever was a mod at that point for posting ween

Alaois has a new favorite as of 21:49 on Apr 14, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I'll give you a free av, post what you want in this thread since you don't have plat.

However, I want it on the record that you posted baba booey in spoilers, which is the coward's path. Your shame will be your punishment. Also the ban will have been your punishment.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I still don't understand what lornekates did wrong? Sounds like a good mod.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Charles Bukowski posted:

He got powercucked out of his own subforum by FYAD trolls.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Charles Bukowski posted:

I kinda thought the "baba booey" gimmick rule was funny, but the punishment was way too severe and he went overboard after it was violated.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

I forgot the name of the guy who modded PHIZ, but he also got angry about FYAD trolls in the forum because they'd keep posting in the "What are you listening to right now?" thread with "Ween." He tried to queue bans for posters that kept making those posts, but the admins refused to accept them. I'm not sure whether he stepped down on his own accord or whether other admins and mods came to the decision, but he never made a rambling post like that after it happened.

What's wrong with Ween? Is it just "Baba Booey"-esque shitposting?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

umalt posted:

Exactly.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wawa Weeney

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

umalt posted:

have you ever actually heard a ween song?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Ween was good.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mnoba posted:

have you ever actually heard a ween song?

Are you daft

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Ween bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,