Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nuclear War posted:

Baldurs Gate with shadowkeeper?

Baldur's Gate is in no way anything close to Grim Dawn or Diablo in terms of gameplay, and he specifically asked for non-modded games?

As far the actual request, I don't know of any game of that type that isn't Diablo 3 that allows for on the fly respeccing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Borderlands is kind of in the same genre and lets you respec (at least, starting with 2; I didn't play the first game). But character builds are pretty boring in those games since the vast majority of skills are "+3% to thing you can do".

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Sjs00 posted:

Has anyone beaten/ played The Witness?

Yes, it's extremely good.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Can anyone recommend an alternative to Jagged Alliance 3, because apparently that doesn't exist. Doesn't need to be the same setting (could be SF or Fantasy or Historical). I would also accept an alternative to Icewind Dale 3.

I've played Silent Storm.

I would also accept something that I can play while waiting for Battletech to drop because that game looks like it's going to scratch an itch.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I found Monster's Den: Godfall which is pretty close to what I'm looking for but I'm still open to suggestions!

I was going to mention that there is someone in this thread who could help you out because the seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge of these sort of games and had helped me with a similar question. But I went and checked and it turned out that that someone was you :shrug:

Have you played Dungeon Rats? Looks like it's the sort of thing you're requesting (it even has a disclaimer in the description because people who like the story driven game it's spun off from were complaining that it's pretty much just combat), but I have no idea if it's any good or not.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 14, 2018

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Grasping at straws here but...

Anything to satiate my core gameplay loop of "loot, decent gameplay, pve, possibly group content, making my character prettier". Doesn't have to be an MMO.

I'm burning out on Final Fantasy XIV, waiting for Monster Hunter World to release on PC.

I'd consider Path of Exile but I'm not into isometric stuff. I tried Guild Wars 2 again after playing it on release but something about the fill-a-heart gameplay loop feels terrible and it looks kinda dated and runs kinda bad. Never touching WoW again. Warframe may be surprisingly awesome in various ways but daamn the player avatars do not at all appeal to me. I actually enjoyed TERA on release and as a returnee couple of years back but it doesn't even have an active thread, so it might be completely horrible?

I'm not sure if I'm overlooking something obvious.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 14, 2018

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Dessel posted:

Anything to satiate my core gameplay loop of "loot, decent gameplay, pve, possibly group content, making my character prettier". Doesn't have to be an MMO.

I'm burning out on Final Fantasy XIV, waiting for Monster Hunter World to release on PC.

I'd consider Path of Exile but I'm not into isometric stuff. I tried Guild Wars 2 again after playing it on release but something about the fill-a-heart gameplay loop feels terrible and it looks kinda dated and runs kinda bad. Never touching WoW again. Warframe may be surprisingly awesome in various ways but daamn the player avatars do not at all appeal to me. I actually enjoyed TERA on release as a returnee couple of years back but it doesn't even have an active thread, so it might be completely horrible?

There's always Diablo III, but if you're not crazy about POE, a slightly different version of the same thing won't change your mind.

There's also Destiny II, The Division, or maybe even Ghost Recon Wildlands for big loot-based games that aren't MMOs.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Dessel posted:

I like the style and look of dressing up in Secret World Legends (previously The Secret World), but unfortunately a lot of the cosmetics are locked behind premium currency. But the base game is a free and might be a fun diversion if you've never checked it out.

And in looking that game up I found out... holy poo poo, Anarchy Online is still up and running.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 14, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

FanaticalMilk posted:

There's always Diablo III, but if you're not crazy about POE, a slightly different version of the same thing won't change your mind.

There's also Destiny II, The Division, or maybe even Ghost Recon Wildlands for big loot-based games that aren't MMOs.

Diablo 3 and PoE play really differently though imo. Diablo is much more of an insane, fast paced, over the top laser fest.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gravy Jones posted:

Can anyone recommend an alternative to Jagged Alliance 3, because apparently that doesn't exist. Doesn't need to be the same setting (could be SF or Fantasy or Historical). I would also accept an alternative to Icewind Dale 3.

Gonna have to toss in the obligatory Battle Brothers mention here, just in case.

Dessel posted:

I'd consider Path of Exile but I'm not into isometric stuff. I tried Guild Wars 2 again after playing it on release but something about the fill-a-heart gameplay loop feels terrible and it looks kinda dated and runs kinda bad. Never touching WoW again. Warframe may be surprisingly awesome in various ways but daamn the player avatars do not at all appeal to me. I actually enjoyed TERA on release and as a returnee couple of years back but it doesn't even have an active thread, so it might be completely horrible?

I don't really have a lot to compare it to since I don't really play MMOs all that much, but I like Elder Scrolls Online. The loot isn't very interesting gear-wise, but it does have the hook of having visual customization stuff both as loot and achievement rewards. It's cool and chill for just running around doing quests and collecting poo poo and whoops, you just did your 50th thingamabob, here have a cool new shade of blue you can dye your poo poo with.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Gravy Jones posted:

I've played Silent Storm.

Have you played Neverwinter Night 2? The second expansion, Storm of Zehir, has you create a party of 4 to go out adventuring with, and I'm pretty sure you can mod the game to let you make a full party of 6. I haven't delved too much into it but I've often heard it compared to Icewind Dale 2

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Dessel posted:

That loop pretty much perfectly matches with Warframe, which I highly recommend(also, join the goon clan in it)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Is there any other game like Environmental Station Alpha where after you complete the main storyline there's a bunch of extra, hidden content you have to access via solving riddles and finding secret rooms?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

McFrugal posted:

Is there any other game like Environmental Station Alpha where after you complete the main storyline there's a bunch of extra, hidden content you have to access via solving riddles and finding secret rooms?

So, you're asking if there are any other metroidvanias? How about Symphony of the Night for one of the founding pillars of the genre, or Hollow Knight for the most celebrated and latest addition.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Diablo 3 and PoE play really differently though imo. Diablo is much more of an insane, fast paced, over the top laser fest.

Yeah, but he listed his problem with it as being the isometric perspective, which is definitely not that much different.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

FanaticalMilk posted:

Yeah, but he listed his problem with it as being the isometric perspective, which is definitely not that much different.

True. I wonder if the isometric thing is due to the actual orientation, or the gameplay you tend to see with iso games (fallout, Baldur's gate etc)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

So, you're asking if there are any other metroidvanias? How about Symphony of the Night for one of the founding pillars of the genre, or Hollow Knight for the most celebrated and latest addition.

This read more as "I want a game with a bunch of obscure puzzle-solving", in which case La-Mulana seems a better bet. It also has a bonus postgame dungeon that's a) unnecessarily difficult, and b) hidden behind a bunch of even more obscure puzzles.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This read more as "I want a game with a bunch of obscure puzzle-solving", in which case La-Mulana seems a better bet. It also has a bonus postgame dungeon that's a) unnecessarily difficult, and b) hidden behind a bunch of even more obscure puzzles.

I guess if they are going for weird puzzle games then the Frog Fractions ones would work, but they dont really have a "before" game.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

True. I wonder if the isometric thing is due to the actual orientation, or the gameplay you tend to see with iso games (fallout, Baldur's gate etc)

I'm just not into the ARPG style. I tried the Diablo 3 "demo" shortly when it came out but it didn't stick with me. I actually own Torchlight 1 and 2 too but I've barely played them. They're probably a little too boring/lacking any risk vs. reward or anything interesting gameplay in the beginning.

In terms of non ARPGs I've played hours and hours of NWN2 but eventually gave up on it. I actually own Pillars of Eternity too and put like 8 hours into it but I kinda dropped off it for whatever reason. It's probably something to do with the isometric view not making things very personal/in-world. Or I'm just unlucky and the games just don't happen to grip me for whatever reason before I wander off from them.

It's not a logical dislike but it's pretty apparent from the games I've dropped and I legit like RPGs overall too, so it's a shame.

edit: Not looking for rpg recommendations here.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Vermintide 2, then.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Nordick posted:

Gonna have to toss in the obligatory Battle Brothers mention here, just in case.

I think most questions in here can be answered with Battle Brothers personally

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

McFrugal posted:

Fez, la mulana and frog fractions would give you a decent variety of things in that vein

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Mordheim city of the damned is currently my main blow

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

numerrik posted:

Fez, la mulana and frog fractions would give you a decent variety of things in that vein

Played all those.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

McFrugal posted:

The Witness? How do you feel about puzzle games?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I'm looking for a specific kind of RPG. It needs to be party-based, with the player creating the entire party (the more options, the better, within reason), and a focus on dungeon crawling (either first-person or isometric will work). However, it also needs some sort of overworld, it can't be one of those dungeon crawlers where you just trudge through one long dungeon (like Etrian Odyssey). Bonus points if it has variable dialog based on choices made during character creation. Basically, I want a game where I can create the party, and then sort of invent personalities for them and imagine the party chatter as I go through the game. Here are some examples of games that fit the bill that I've already played:

-Wizardry 6-8 (especially the dialog in 8, every possible PC voice has a ton of fully-voiced lines that really flesh them out)
-Icewind Dale 1+2 (these also had a lot of attention to detail with class/race-specific dialog options)
-Temple of Elemental Evil (granted, most of the dungeon crawling is in the eponymous temple, but you spend enough time outside of it that it doesn't get stale)
-Might & Magic
-Darklands

Oh, and it shouldn't be too old, games old enough to require keyboard input where a mouse would be more efficient tend to annoy more than entertain me (there's a dozen classics from the eighties I could be playing were it not for that wrinkle). Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide for my overly-specific request.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm looking for a specific kind of RPG. It needs to be party-based, with the player creating the entire party (the more options, the better, within reason), and a focus on dungeon crawling (either first-person or isometric will work). However, it also needs some sort of overworld, it can't be one of those dungeon crawlers where you just trudge through one long dungeon (like Etrian Odyssey). Bonus points if it has variable dialog based on choices made during character creation. Basically, I want a game where I can create the party, and then sort of invent personalities for them and imagine the party chatter as I go through the game. Here are some examples of games that fit the bill that I've already played:

-Wizardry 6-8 (especially the dialog in 8, every possible PC voice has a ton of fully-voiced lines that really flesh them out)
-Icewind Dale 1+2 (these also had a lot of attention to detail with class/race-specific dialog options)
-Temple of Elemental Evil (granted, most of the dungeon crawling is in the eponymous temple, but you spend enough time outside of it that it doesn't get stale)
-Might & Magic
-Darklands

Oh, and it shouldn't be too old, games old enough to require keyboard input where a mouse would be more efficient tend to annoy more than entertain me (there's a dozen classics from the eighties I could be playing were it not for that wrinkle). Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide for my overly-specific request.

Grimrock 2?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

EclecticTastes posted:

You might check out the Avernum series. Avernums 2 and 3 add a couple more options during chargen (two additional races you can play as).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EclecticTastes posted:

-Might & Magic
-Darklands

Divinity: Original Sin II
NWN2: Storm of Zehir

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

EclecticTastes posted:

-Might & Magic
-Darklands

Pillars of Eternity (if you use custom party members)

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Recently I've been kind of at a loss at what to get on steam recently. I thought about getting Rainbow Six Siege but I'm kind of bad at CS:GO and Insurgency, so I feel that I would probably just get frustrated. I checked out a little bit of The Silver Case, but hearing a lot of stuff about lovely puzzles makes me unsure. The story is interesting though, and I enjoy the soundtrack. There's also Celeste which looks good. I'd be up for a good action game or a good story game. Also, if The Silver Case is worth getting, what about the extra content of the 22 page comic, art book, and ost?

hostess with the Moltres fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 16, 2018

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Own it, played it, had a decent time, but the complete lack of any entity that wasn't trying to murder my party left me a little unsatisfied.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You might check out the Avernum series. Avernums 2 and 3 add a couple more options during chargen (two additional races you can play as).

I actually own 4-6 from some old bundle or another, tried to get into it, but the controls and graphics were working against it with all their might, and ended up keeping me from really getting into it, much to my disappointment at the time. First-person games tend to age a little better for me since the sprites are more detailed (and even then, I only barely got through Wiz6), the pulled-out isometric perspective looks pretty bad until the mid to late nineties.

Really Pants posted:

Divinity: Original Sin II
NWN2: Storm of Zehir

Pillars of Eternity (if you use custom party members)

These are technically options (I own NWN2, and played the absolute hell out of PoE), but they fall more into the same camp as Baldur's Gate, et al, in that while you can make the whole party yourself, you're clearly intended to just make the main character, and then pick up pre-made companions. I'm looking for a situation where there either aren't any premade companions, or there are extra party slots specifically reserved for such guests (like in Wiz8 and ToEE). Sorry, I had a feeling this would be too specific.

If it's any help, my own research turned up Realms of Arkania as a possibility. Gonna do some additional digging to make sure it's actually a good game, judge whether its age will be an obstacle, but the basic premise sounds like what I'm looking for.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Get Vermintide 2. Get that visceral rattefeel

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Devonaut posted:

The Witness? How do you feel about puzzle games?

I loving love puzzle games. Maybe I'm being picky but what I was really looking for is some possibly-meta puzzle poo poo in a game that wasn't designed around puzzles. I loved the sense of mystery, of uncovering something like a back door into part of the game fundamentally different from the rest of it.

Also I thought The Witness didn't have anything you needed to take notes for? Also isn't it a bit insufferable?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
This is kind of a long shot, but you might check out Nongunz. It's a very...strange game, and I haven't made it all that far, but if you want mysterious it has you covered. I don't know so much about the "finding a secret leading to a completely disconnected/strange part of the game", but there is a screen where you can pilot a humanoid blob about a small, colorful apartment (while the rest of the game is a mostly-monochrome 2D run&gun). All I've figured out how to do from the apartment is quit the game. :shrug:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

EclecticTastes posted:

These are technically options (I own NWN2, and played the absolute hell out of PoE), but they fall more into the same camp as Baldur's Gate, et al, in that while you can make the whole party yourself, you're clearly intended to just make the main character, and then pick up pre-made companions. I'm looking for a situation where there either aren't any premade companions, or there are extra party slots specifically reserved for such guests (like in Wiz8 and ToEE).

Storm of Zehir for NWN 2 is specifically just this. It's unrelated to the main game or the first expansion, and you create a party of four characters with a couple added slots for companion NPCs you can pick up along the way.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Nordick posted:

Storm of Zehir for NWN 2 is specifically just this. It's unrelated to the main game or the first expansion, and you create a party of four characters with a couple added slots for companion NPCs you can pick up along the way.

Oh. Huh. I'll have to check it out, then, thanks for the tip. Given I've owned the game for years, the price is certainly right. When I got the D&D bundle it came in, I wound up getting so deep into Planescape and IWD that I never got around to playing NWN.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I used to love playing the Knytt games years ago and was wondering if there's any similar chill platformers that are mainly focused on exploring Like a Metroidvania without the combat I guess? I loved Celeste and it's kinda what i'm looking for aesthetically, and I enjoyed looking for the collectables, but the platforming itself was too hard to be relaxing.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Stanfield posted:

I used to love playing the Knytt games years ago and was wondering if there's any similar chill platformers that are mainly focused on exploring Like a Metroidvania without the combat I guess? I loved Celeste and it's kinda what i'm looking for aesthetically, and I enjoyed looking for the collectables, but the platforming itself was too hard to be relaxing.

Fez, Waking Mars

e: Abzu is a super chill, gorgeous exploration game but not a platformer

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 16, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Own it, played it, had a decent time, but the complete lack of any entity that wasn't trying to murder my party left me a little unsatisfied.

I actually own 4-6 from some old bundle or another, tried to get into it, but the controls and graphics were working against it with all their might, and ended up keeping me from really getting into it, much to my disappointment at the time. First-person games tend to age a little better for me since the sprites are more detailed (and even then, I only barely got through Wiz6), the pulled-out isometric perspective looks pretty bad until the mid to late nineties.

These are technically options (I own NWN2, and played the absolute hell out of PoE), but they fall more into the same camp as Baldur's Gate, et al, in that while you can make the whole party yourself, you're clearly intended to just make the main character, and then pick up pre-made companions. I'm looking for a situation where there either aren't any premade companions, or there are extra party slots specifically reserved for such guests (like in Wiz8 and ToEE). Sorry, I had a feeling this would be too specific.

If it's any help, my own research turned up Realms of Arkania as a possibility. Gonna do some additional digging to make sure it's actually a good game, judge whether its age will be an obstacle, but the basic premise sounds like what I'm looking for.

Realms of Arkania is really good, it's old and you might get hung up on the annoying interface but if you don't you'll have a really great time. 2 is the best. Don't play the recent remake for the love of god

Also Might and Magic 3 - 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

EclecticTastes posted:

Welllll

Etrian Odyssey 4 does, in fact, have an overworld. And an airship!