Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I just want to upgrade my video card without spending a fortune. Thanks a lot cryptocurrency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Alpha Mayo posted:

Amd he is really going to complain about a beaten up video card? He was just given the keys to his financial freedom. Did gold miners in the west complain if they were given a shovel that had some dirt on it?

The fans had seized and he said he had to restart his PC about 15 times to get his motherboard to even recognize it. it's more like a shovel missing a handle.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Regrettable posted:

The fans had seized and he said he had to restart his PC about 15 times to get his motherboard to even recognize it. it's more like a shovel missing a handle.

woosh

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

No, I got the joke.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I was looking at that video card sale thing. My scam-o-meter is going off. It's possible that some 3rd party just tossed the card in a box, but I just don't see it happening. The fact there is a picture of the card in the box after it was opened with no packing inside is very suspicious. Who opens a box and then takes a picture before taking the card out? It just seems staged.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If I get something that is obviously damaged on the outside shipped to me I for sure take pictures as I'm opening it.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Elderbean posted:

I just want to upgrade my video card without spending a fortune. Thanks a lot cryptocurrency.

Video games gently caress your brain up horribly by conditioning it for instant gratification.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

Not ideal packaging (certainly would never send it out this way), but the card looks fine. Or am I missing something?

e: nope, just the retaining catch.

But: the card has almost certainly sustained brain damage due to excess heat in the buttminers buttroom. That, and being hammered about the place in a loose box will have probably broken a few solder joints.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Salt Fish posted:

If I get something that is obviously damaged on the outside shipped to me I for sure take pictures as I'm opening it.

Exactly. But these pics are all after it has been opened which basically invalidates any claims of damage before opening. No pics of the box sealed. I dunno, it just strikes me as fishy. Any time I've taken something to a shipper they have packaged things well, because that's their job. Just tossing something in a box and shipping it? Seems like something a child would do.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

wide stance posted:

Video games gently caress your brain up horribly by conditioning it for instant gratification.
Are videogames against the total freedom of Satoshi Thought?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Exactly. But these pics are all after it has been opened which basically invalidates any claims of damage before opening. No pics of the box sealed. I dunno, it just strikes me as fishy. Any time I've taken something to a shipper they have packaged things well, because that's their job. Just tossing something in a box and shipping it? Seems like something a child would do.

Much like your posting.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Elderbean posted:

gamers getting owned is by far the funniest part of bitcoin

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

There’s a Cryptocurrency Wallet for Young Children Now
Pigzbe, an adorable cryptocurrency hardware wallet and interactive app, powered by a “family-friendly” token called Wollo. It will also teach families “cryptocurrency values” such as “volatility,” according to the white paper. It’s the latest project by designer Filippo Yacob and his team, whose previous company Primo Toys released a wood block set designed to teach young children to code. Pigzbe is based in Switzerland and the UK.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/8xkdw4/welp-theres-a-cryptocurrency-wallet-for-young-children-now-pigzbe-wollo

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
pretty sure there are enough children on blockchains already

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
:eyepop:

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

gary oldmans diary posted:

pretty sure there are enough children on blockchains already

:thurman:

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Why Bitcoin (BTC) Prices Could Skyrocket 200% After April 17

Bitcoin prices are going to rebound 206.64% from today's price of $8,152.66 now that tax season has ended. Lee believes the price of Bitcoin will return to $20,000 by July 2018. By the end of the year, he projects the price of Bitcoin will reach $25,000, which would be a gain of 206.64%.

:allears: Exactly 206.64% because end of Tax season :allears:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
im predicting a 69% increase by friday

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Risc1911 posted:

Why Bitcoin (BTC) Prices Could Skyrocket 200% After April 17

Bitcoin prices are going to rebound 206.64% from today's price of $8,152.66 now that tax season has ended. Lee believes the price of Bitcoin will return to $20,000 by July 2018. By the end of the year, he projects the price of Bitcoin will reach $25,000, which would be a gain of 206.64%.

:allears: Exactly 206.64% because end of Tax season :allears:

So we can expect a 30% crash every Christmas and a 50% crash every tax season?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I want to believe the same assholes who panicked
and tanked the price to cash out and pay taxes are the same assholes buying in again at a higher price right now

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
cashing out is the whole point

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
you've got to know when to hodl'em
know when to fodl'em
know when to walk away and when to run

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Mozi posted:

you've got to know when to hodl'em
know when to fodl'em hodl'em
know when to walk away hodl and when to run hodl

Fixed it for you

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Waltzing Along posted:

I see someone never orders from Amazon

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

https://giant.gfycat.com/LinedTallBobcat.webm

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

wide stance posted:

maybe but cryptocurrencies are actively destroying the world through global warming so I'd rather have video games

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

https://giant.gfycat.com/EmbarrassedMassiveHamadryas.webm

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 14, 2018

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

nice

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I learned a cool phrase called "the dead cat bounce" that seems to apply to this recent uptick

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The reason bitcoin spiked 1,000 USD in one day is because it was declared “Halal” (ie blessed) by Islamic sharia Law, which is 1 billion people strong.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...e-a8302761.html

So now you can understand how 1 billion people in the richest lands in the world (Arab land) will make bitcoin an amazing investment. Too bad you people keep making jokes instead of investing all of your savings into bitcoin.

Even anti-bitcoins people profit from bitcoin, such as the crypto vampire David Gerard, bitcoin is just that amazing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
bitcoin is halal. anime is haram

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Bitcoin is haram

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Sentient Data posted:

Bitcoin is haram

bitcoin is harambe?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Heath posted:

I learned a cool phrase called "the dead cat bounce" that seems to apply to this recent uptick
Bitcoin been playing basketball with a dead cat for years.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

zedprime posted:

Bitcoin been playing basketball with a dead cat for years.

Not quite basketball. It's more like "kick the dead cat up the hill".

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/ButtCoin/status/985320642969985027

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Happens to FUD Buddy ever other week on idiotic things like changing picture, settings or sometimes simply by logging in or out. Their automated detection is retarded. My first automated block i got when i created the account and changed the background image, literally 2 minutes after i created it.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

This cryptocurrency startup with a 12-year-old CEO is trying to solve a common frustration among gamers
George Weiksner and his father Michael are creating an ethereum-based token that can be used across multiple gaming platforms.
https://pocketfulofquarters.com/

http://www.businessinsider.de/crypt...018-4?r=US&IR=T

Risc1911 fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 15, 2018

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Does the blockchain calculate anything useful like folding@home or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Posting this here too because it’s hilarious, credit to Cthulhooo of buttcoin reddit:

A bunch of troll devs discovered an exploit that will become the next paradigm shift for the mETH network.

Thread:
https://np.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/8ccrp2/is_the_exploitmined_just_powhio_token_the_first/

quote:

As noted a day ago, anyone who makes an ethereum transaction within the last 3-days has received 232 tokens with the ticker ”Just Powh.Io”. This token is now visible on over 1 million addresses on etherscan which is, as far as i can tell, the most distributed token in ERC20 history.

We start with building up massive supplies of comedy gold.

quote:

The contract code explains it simply. The devs are clever bastards showing off an exploit they discovered in the ERC20 standard and the way etherscan handles the detection of tokens in wallets. They are intentionally showing off how it can be used to flood wallets with a useless untradable advertisement token for any product they want.

Then add a bit of spam flavor.

Now we get to the interesting part, pay attention:

quote:

Quite simply, when you poke etherscan to ask ”does this wallet have this token” etherscan queries the smart contract, and the smart contract responds with an answer. In this case, the developers have the smart contract always respond ”of course they do”. Which is then saved and logged by etherscan onto the ETH blockchain making the tokens essentially materialize in your wallet without any transfer or gas fees whatsoever.

Hold on. A FREE service in my anarcho capitalist utopia? REEEEEEEEEEE!

quote:

The developers then created a mining program that reads the most recent ethereum blocks and all wallets contained within, then pings each of those wallets with the ”do these wallets have the token” command, and distributed this program open source to its community to ”Mine” these tokens for everyone else. Meaning most every recent transaction gets guaranteed a free +232 JUST tokens deposited into their wallet.
To put the icing on the cake, if you try to transfer these tokens. The contract gives you back the same amount of tokens +1 .

Now we get to the best part:

quote:

They’re very aware that literally everyone and their mother will try to copy this token scheme and advertise for themselves. It’s probably less than a week until we find hundreds of these cloned to say whatever they want with messages of whatever they would like to say, permanently attached to your wallet and non-transferrable. Attached to every recent transaction. These devs are notorious for creating open source content that’s disruptively mass cloned (if you’ve seen a masternode referral link, they invented that too).
To anyone who doesn’t think this is a big deal, they invented spam email and we don’t have spam filters yet.

There you have it. Blockchains are the future of spam advertisement that you literally can't escape or deal with. Immutable and indestructible. Code is law, spam is code. For your convenience I scoured the thread for the developers input and you will absolutely love those guys.

quote:

This operation is obviously a very-very-serious endeavor. You see, it’s currently using a tad bit of an exploit in etherscan to airdrop everyone 232 tokens. But not JUST any tokens. You see we’re dropping 232 ”JUST powh.io” tokens.

Every eth address now has these tokens, period. We just need to use a little trick on etherscan and it permanently recognizes that user’s added them to their account. For the user to go ”Wtf is powh.io” the next time they check their wallet. This uhh... this is going to happen to a LOT of eth wallets.

We’re pretty sure everyone’s going to be extremely mad, ask how the gently caress we did it, and then clone it and EVERYONE’S WALLETS WILL BE FULL OF SHITCOIN ADVERTISEMENTS. We’re sorry, it’s probably worth it.

It is worth it indeed. Free market has already provided an overwhelminly positive feedback by gratuitously accepting this glorious airdrop.

quote:

To make it better, you uhh... you can’t get rid of them. You’re stuck being JUSTED by our powh.io tokens forever. Transferring them actually gives you more of the darn things. :joy:

More? For free? I hope you're not advertising some commie poo poo on my cute, ancap blockchain buddy.

Anyway, future entrepreneurs rejoice, your lovely spam ads can now be added to everyone's wallets with no fees and without their consent and they will stay there forever taunting them (and probably driving OCD people to insanity). The mETH network will eternally engrave, maintain and propagate your worthless advertisements for the future generations to watch and facepalm over our folly. If this isn't a new paradigm I don't know what the gently caress we are even doing here anymore. Who would've thought that blockchains were the future of advertisement of all things? Buy, buy, buy!

quote:

All eth people angrily or accidentally sent to the wallet, you know in anger or as a pat on the back for us being clever. Is also going to be distributed equally across all p3d token holders.

This is actually just a random bonus, and wasn’t part of any roadmap or planned project. We’re just permanently shitposting on the blockchain and in everyone’s ethereum wallet for your benefit”

What can I say? We were wrong all along. Businessmen all over the world can now offer their products and services to the entire blockchain community all over the world for nearly zero cost courtesy of etherscan.

Forget bank the unbanked. Spam the unspammed is the new hot thing and it will change the world as we know it. The world is not anymore the way it used to be, mmm, mmm, no no no!

In case you wonder what the endgame of those industrious geniuses is here's their modus operandi:

quote:

”Hey @everyone , in our ever-present quest to destroy the ethereum network and have a bit of a giggle on the way down. Today we’ve deployed a contract in a move we like to call OPERATION-PERMANENT-SHITPOSTING.

Mining this much comedy gold was obviously in their self interest. I think we all could learn from their example.