Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah I fumbled the backtalk on the final choice I think and was surprised that it ended more or less okay after all, I don't even know what happens if you nail it, gonna find out on a later playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

Failing it is hilarious because Chloe just throws the phone through the window and says "gently caress you"

I actually like the scene for passing less

Yeah, that's one of the two Backtalks where I actually think failing produces a better result than succeeding (the other one being Skip in Episode 2). It just feels more like Chloe's style, she returns to her usual persona and is still clever enough to improvise an escape route. Plus during the ending montage he finally gets it through his thick skull that Chloe wants nothing to do with him and still gets expelled regardless (you can see some taped up boxes behind him when he's sitting at his desk).

If you succeed he pulls Chloe into an awkward hug and then she bolts once the door is open, leaving Eliot to deal with the police. It also makes it a bit more explicit at the end that he got expelled.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 15, 2018

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah I fumbled the backtalk on the final choice I think and was surprised that it ended more or less okay after all, I don't even know what happens if you nail it, gonna find out on a later playthrough.

You can fail all of the backtalk challenges in the game and it has little effect on anything.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Orange Sunshine posted:

You can fail all of the backtalk challenges in the game and it has little effect on anything.

Despite that, I kind of liked the system overall. You sometimes get a bit more information/character development than you would normally and if you think about it it's basically the Life is Strange equivalent of boss fights. I just wish it had been a little better utilized.

In a sense, there are Backtalk-esque segments in the first game too (or they follow the same basic principle anyway) such as Kate on the roof, Frank in Episode 4, Victoria at the party and Chloe after traveling back through Warren's photo. Only difference is there's no time limit and with the exception of the first one you can just rewind if you mess things up.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 15, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Slight discrepancy with Farewell, when Max returns to the past in the first game after leaving the alternate timeline she burns the photo of her and Chloe. However, in Farewell which takes place later that day the photo is still intact and sitting in the kitchen, and it can't be the original timeline before she messed with things either as you can see the mark she left on the fireplace briefly before it disappears. Of course, it was also still in the photo album in the present for Joyce to give to Max in the first place so it might be best not to think about it too hard.

On another note, I kind of wish the Sera conversation had been a little more clearly laid out as with the way it's presented it can be easy to mistake it for a dream at first (I think when Chloe regains consciousness at the beginning it even makes the same sound you hear at the start of all the other dreams). Also the fact that it's a Backtalk in disguise (which I kind of like to be honest) but unless you happen to stumble into the correct choices or have the bracelet on you there's no way you could possibly be aware of that on a first time playthrough.

All the same though, Rachel's family situation does mirror Chloe's a bit. You might have noticed that Rachel was never really given a say in any of this despite her parents (all 3 of them) claiming to want what's best for her. James lied to her practically her entire life, not only hiding Sera's existence entirely but also hiring a known criminal to threaten and later kidnap and drug her in order to keep her away. Rose just blindly follows along with him and even Sera initially decides to give up in order to preserve the family Rachel has left, placing an unreasonable burden on Chloe in the process.

In Chloe's case, I feel like a lot of the reason why she acts the way she does is because after her dad died and Max left she kind of lost control of her life, with her mom (and David) just deciding things for her and expecting her to follow along, not really understanding that Chloe is a very sentimental person and takes more time than most to deal with grief. She barely has time to deal with one trauma before another gets dumped into her lap. It doesn't help that David kind of treats her like crap (even though he means well) and Joyce is so desperate to regain some stability in her own life that she kind of turns a blind eye to things even if she knows it's wrong (try not defending David when talking to her in Episode 5, it kind of sheds some light on a few things as well as making some of the early conversations with her look a lot worse in context). In other words, Chloe acts up because it's pretty much the only way she can regain some agency in her life. To be quite honest, if Rachel hadn't come along there might not have been a Chloe left for Max to come back to.

Which is part of the reason why the final choice in LiS is still kind of hard even years later and with the extra context from the prequel (though I find myself leaning towards Sacrifice Chloe nowadays for thematic reasons). On one had, it isn't fair that Chloe once again has to take the fall for someone else's mistakes (made worse by the fact that the last communication the Chloe being sacrificed had with Max was the message she left at the end of Farewell and a few non-replies later on). But on the other hand, if you think about it Max choosing to sacrifice her hometown for Chloe's sake isn't really much different from what people like Sean Prescott, James Amber and Mark Jefferson did (that is, decide their own selfish desires were worth more than the welfare of others). Not to mention the fact that unlike them, Max actually shows remorse for her actions, I just don't think that either her nor Chloe could ever truly be happy with that decision.

In actual news, there's a rumor going around that we might be getting our first look at Season 2 before E3 (maybe even next month at the earliest). I'm personally looking forward to that as aside from the basic structure of episodic, choice-based gameplay with some puzzle elements an a gimmick attached they pretty much have free reign to do whatever they want with this one.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 18, 2018

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
No matter which ending you pick at the conclusion of Life Is Strange, the odyssey of Max and Chloe ends as it began. Either with the two friends looking on as something is utterly destroyed* or with Max attending a funeral.

* Chloe straps a couple of her unwanted dolls to a bomb during Farewell and the two friends watch from the cliffside as Arcadia is wiped off the map if you choose to save Chloe.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It does make a nice little bookend to the series yes. We begin with Max and Chloe indulging in a bit of childish innocence and end with the same girls watching their home get stripped away from them, their innocence long since stolen by fate and circumstance.

Alternatively, we end the first chronological episode on Max attending William's funeral and the death of Chloe's innocence and the last with Chloe dying but at the same time giving Max the opportunity she herself never had: a second chance to take back the life she lost.

Unlike Chloe and Rachel, Max is ultimately more the victim of her own hubris, a lot of her scars being self-inflicted. She goes from a nerdy wallflower who mostly keeps to herself aside from a small circle of friends to a shattered husk that's essentially ready to commit mass genocide in order to preserve the life of her oldest friend (also, while she's not a bad character Max's flaws do start to become a lot more obvious if you replay the first game with full context) . In that sense, Chloe kind of wound up saving Max in a way she never really could for Rachel and even continues to watch over her as the butterfly much like how William did for her as the raven.

As much as I love the characters I actually kind of don't want to see Max and Chloe again. Their journey is over so it's time to let them rest and pass the mantle onto some other poor soul. I wouldn't mind if they kept referencing Hawt Dawg Man and maybe toss in an easter egg or two but otherwise Season 2 (or whatever they end up calling it) should probably stay as far removed from its predecessor as possible. The only exception I could think of is maybe a game about Max's Seattle days but even that's unnecessary at this point (though then again, so was BtS and that turned out pretty good).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 20, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In addition to Vampyr and Life is Strange 2 DontNod apparently has at least two other currently unannounced titles in the planning stage at the moment.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've played any other game by them aside from LiS. Is any of their early work any good?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Larryb posted:

In addition to Vampyr and Life is Strange 2 DontNod apparently has at least two other currently unannounced titles in the planning stage at the moment.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've played any other game by them aside from LiS. Is any of their early work any good?

Their earlier work is literally just Remember Me and people were fairly mixed on it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

spudsbuckley posted:

Their earlier work is literally just Remember Me and people were fairly mixed on it.

Ah, for some reason I thought they made more games than that. Vampyr looks interesting at the very least but I'm still kind of on the fence about getting it, so I just wanted to check if the studio had a decent track record or just happened to get lucky once.

On that subject, has Deck Nine done anything of significance besides BtS?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 22, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm cautious of Vampyr. Like it's made by the LiS people so I have no reason to think it'll be bad, but I'm a much bigger fan of vampire stuff that tries to be campy and silly (True Blood). Whereas this is clearly meant to be SUPER FUCKIN SERIOUS. I'm worried it's going to be TOO DARK AND SERIOUS

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

I'm cautious of Vampyr. Like it's made by the LiS people so I have no reason to think it'll be bad, but I'm a much bigger fan of vampire stuff that tries to be campy and silly (True Blood). Whereas this is clearly meant to be SUPER FUCKIN SERIOUS. I'm worried it's going to be TOO DARK AND SERIOUS

Play Yakety Sax on repeat while you play the game. Problem solved.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have this game on steam. I finished all 3 episodes and tried to install the final ep (farewell?) from inside the game. it told me to do it from the steam store. I went to the steam store, to the farewell dlc page and I have no idea how to add it. There's no 'buy' or 'play' or anything option. It seems to not be out? but it said release date march 2018, so it is out? I also tried to right click on the game name and see if everything was installed, and it seemed to be.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

redreader posted:

I have this game on steam. I finished all 3 episodes and tried to install the final ep (farewell?) from inside the game. it told me to do it from the steam store. I went to the steam store, to the farewell dlc page and I have no idea how to add it. There's no 'buy' or 'play' or anything option. It seems to not be out? but it said release date march 2018, so it is out? I also tried to right click on the game name and see if everything was installed, and it seemed to be.

Are you sure you don't have it installed already?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

redreader posted:

If you look at the DLC box on the game in your library does it say it's uninstalled? If it doesn't and says it's installed, try unchecking and rechecking it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Ok I figured out I need to buy deluxe to buy farewell. You can't buy farewell from the dlc page for it. (yeah I don't have it in my dlc installed selection). You get it as part of deluxe.

So is it worth 9.90?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's one of the strongest episodes in the series if you really loved Max and Chloe's dynamic from the original game but it's very short, about 90 minutes long, and very linear. Life is Strange is pretty much the greatest video game ever made so it was worth buying deluxe for me, but if it's not that kind of experience for you then you might just wanna youtube.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Deluxe Edition also has the Hawt Dawg Man outfit included, too.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

So I finally beat the main/original game, after playing though episodes 1-4 when they came out I just never got around to 5.
What a trip. :stare: I picked Bay > Bae since well, My max wasn't into Chloe, kinda hoped I could have "romanced"/hatetongued Victoria I guess.
I ended up giving Warren the pitykiss as well, he's a good lad. Is there even a way to more proper sorta-date him? Not that i'd do it but just curious.

Great game really hit me hard in places due to some personal experiences during college.
What's the verdict on the prequel now that it's done?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Not quite as good as the original, much better than it had any right to be, about the most loving fan game you could hope from a totally different developer.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

redreader posted:

Ok I figured out I need to buy deluxe to buy farewell. You can't buy farewell from the dlc page for it. (yeah I don't have it in my dlc installed selection). You get it as part of deluxe.

So is it worth 9.90?

It's the shortest episode of the entire series (aside from maybe Episode 1 of the orginal) but at the same time it's still good and serves as a nice little bookend to the whole saga. Plus it was nice hearing the old VAs again, though the new ones did a good job as well for the most part and I hope they get more work after this. Despite the shorter length there's still a fair bit of content to explore and it's worth experiencing in my opinion.

Not to mention it's probably the last we're going to see of these characters for a good while (if not ever) seeing as LiS 2 (or whatever they end up calling it) will be switching over to a brand new cast and setting. Plus referencing the original beyond maybe a few vague easter eggs is going to be difficult anyway as they run the risk of canonizing one ending over another (which probably isn't the best idea in a series like this). I am kind of curious if BtS is going to get any nods since it was made by another developer (though DontNod does acknowledge it as part of the series at any rate).

Speaking of Season 2 I kind of hope the new protagonist has a bit more of a personality to them so as not to be upstaged by most of the cast (don't get me wrong, Max is still a decent character but she's also one of the few cast members we probably know the least about by the end). Taking photos/doing graffiti was also kind of fun and I hope they bring something like that back, doing sketches of things you see could be interesting for example and would kind of be a nice fusion of both.

I'm curious if they'll keep up the trend that seems to be happening so far (protagonist is a teenage girl with another one as their partner that they have the option of becoming romantically involved with, primary antagonist is an adult male in some position of power, plot involves a natural disaster of some kind) or if they'll switch things up a bit for this one. Either way, now that Vampyr has a release date I expect we'll start getting some concrete information in another month or two (though I wouldn't expect to see the first episode drop until like August or September at the earliest).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 23, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Zedd posted:

I ended up giving Warren the pitykiss as well, he's a good lad.
Travel back in time now to undo this mistake

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kissing Warren and killing Chloe, a cursed playthrough.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
cursed enough to summon me back to the thread, drat

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zedd posted:

So I finally beat the main/original game, after playing though episodes 1-4 when they came out I just never got around to 5.
What a trip. :stare: I picked Bay > Bae since well, My max wasn't into Chloe, kinda hoped I could have "romanced"/hatetongued Victoria I guess.
I ended up giving Warren the pitykiss as well, he's a good lad. Is there even a way to more proper sorta-date him? Not that i'd do it but just curious.

Great game really hit me hard in places due to some personal experiences during college.
What's the verdict on the prequel now that it's done?

Depends, how did you feel about Chloe in the first game? If you liked her, this will probably be worth checking out and if you didn't this might still be able to change your mind but it's not necessary. It also feels a bit more compacted than the original, with smaller maps, simpler puzzles and fewer NPCs to interact with.

Apart from a bonus episode that takes place before everything else none of the original voice cast return thanks to a SAG strike that was going on during the game's development. Despite that, the new cast does a good job for the most part (some voices even sounding almost identical to the originals).

Despite that it's still a decent game and aside from a few extremely minor plot holes regarding the timeline it actually complements the original pretty well (something not a lot of prequels are generally able to pull off in my opinion). Also, fair warning: while it never really demonizes her per se playing BtS might alter your opinion of Max just a bit.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 23, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The main point I can say LiS vs BtS is that LiS does the overall story much better while BtS does the more personal Rachel/Chloe thing far better than LiS handled Max and Chloe.

exquisite tea posted:

Kissing Warren and killing Chloe, a cursed playthrough.

Seriously jesus, you can in fact play a game wrong

Make sure to say you and Rachel are just friends next while you're on your warpath

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
BtS has changed a lot of players' opinions about Chloe, for the better. She's really likable and I honestly prefer both her dialog and VA in BtS.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Macaluso posted:

The main point I can say LiS vs BtS is that LiS does the overall story much better while BtS does the more personal Rachel/Chloe thing far better than LiS handled Max and Chloe.

I'm one of those rare specimens who prefers the Bae ending, but only sees Max & Chloe as very close friends. Even before BtS existed I always felt like Rachel & Chloe were the real romance saga of Life is Strange. You still must choose to Kiss Chloe however.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I chose the bracelet because I'm a sap like that. Paid off in the end!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Renoistic posted:

BtS has changed a lot of players' opinions about Chloe, for the better. She's really likable and I honestly prefer both her dialog and VA in BtS.

I still prefer Burch overall (mostly because her performance just has a little more bite to it in my opinion) but DeVries is a good substitute. Also most of Chloe's dialogue in BtS was written by Ashly Burch anyway.

Speaking of which, I hope the original characters from this game don't just get swept under the rug now as I'd kind of like to see more of some of them one day (especially Steph who I feel was a bit underutilized). Kylie Brown (Rachel) is a fantastic actress and I hope she keeps at it, Katy Bentz (Steph) was also really good.

Renoistic posted:

I chose the bracelet because I'm a sap like that. Paid off in the end!

You don't actually need the bracelet for that part (the whole conversation is basically a stealth Backtalk minus the timer and progress bar) but it does significantly improve your chances.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 23, 2018

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Larryb posted:

Depends, how did you feel about Chloe in the first game? If you liked her, this will probably be worth checking out and if you didn't this might still be able to change your mind but it's not necessary. It also feels a bit more compacted than the original, with smaller maps, simpler puzzles and fewer NPCs to interact with.
Hated her at first, loved her by the end. But that's probably intentional, she is very standoffish at first and in her shell, seeing that shell slowly open up again is great.
I just didn't see her a love interest for Max at all, she is clearly still hung up on Rachel even without the murder mystery aspect amplifying that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zedd posted:

Hated her at first, loved her by the end. But that's probably intentional, she is very standoffish at first and in her shell, seeing that shell slowly open up again is great.
I just didn't see her a love interest for Max at all, she is clearly still hung up on Rachel even without the murder mystery aspect amplifying that.

You'll probably like BtS then as it delves a bit deeper into her psyche as well as the nature of her relationship with Rachel (which feels a lot more natural in my opinion). While I went full Pricefield during my playthrough I'll admit that the romantic angle doesn't quite work for them. Chloe is just a close friend that Max kind of becomes completely obsessed with by the end, to the point where she is literally contemplating genocide just to keep her safe ("You are my number one priority, you are all that matters to me now"). Also, like you said Chloe obviously is still carrying a torch for Rachel.

Ironically, because of said prequel I'm actually kind of firmly in the Sacrifice Chloe camp now (and this is coming from someone who originally hated that ending and considers her one of their favorite characters in the series). Despite the front she puts up Chloe is not a bad person by any stretch and sacrificing herself at the end is a nice way to tie up her character arc (even if it means that she's once again taking the fall for someone else's mistake). She finally lets the past go and goes out a hero (her death even causing a chain reaction that leads to the guilty being found and punished and Rachel finally getting justice), even if Max is the only one who will ever know the truth (including the Chloe that's being sacrificed).

Think about it, for Chloe to make that whole heartfelt speech at the end only for Max to go "No, I'm keeping you" is kind of monstrous in a sense and she's basically doing the same thing that Jefferson and his ilk did (deciding her own selfish desires are worth more than the welfare of others). As a result, you're left with a relationship where two people are forced to stay together out of guilt (Chloe has to live with the fact that her life came at the cost of her mom and everyone she knew and loved and Max has to live with the fact that she let it all happen). I just don't think either of them could ever be truly happy in that scenario. Plus, the poor girl's suffered enough throughout the last 5 years of her life and is literally begging for death, why prolong it any further?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 23, 2018

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

Think about it, for Chloe to make that whole heartfelt speech at the end only for Max to go "No, I'm keeping you" is kind of monstrous in a sense and she's basically doing the same thing that Jefferson and his ilk did (deciding her own selfish desires are worth more than the welfare of others). As a result, you're left with a relationship where two people are forced to stay together out of guilt (Chloe has to live with the fact that her life came at the cost of her mom and everyone she knew and loved and Max has to live with the fact that she let it all happen). I just don't think either of them could ever be truly happy in that scenario. Plus, the poor girl's suffered enough throughout the last 5 years of her life and is literally begging for death, why prolong it any further?

The Sacrifice Arcadia choice is objectively terrible and there is no proper defense for it.

"I'm going to let thousands of people die to save one person" is morally indefensible, especially as it's clear that Chloe was meant to die, and has to be re-saved every day as the universe just keeps trying to kill her. The nightmare sequence diner scene, where everyone you know says variations on 'Why did you kill me, Max?", with all the faceless people you don't know outside the diner standing around watching as well, was supposed to be telling you this.

There has been a lot of criticism of the actual ending sequence if you do choose to sacrifice the town, regarding how they generally did a half assed job of that ending while the other one was much longer and more sophisticated. They designed the ending like this because any proper attempt to show you the real ending would have resulted in everyone who picked that ending being unhappy with their choice.

The real Sacrifice Arcadia ending would have meant Max and Chloe going around town after the storm, finding the bodies of all their friends and family. Here's Joyce dead, here's Kate dead, here's Warren dead, here's everyone else dead. Chloe would demand that Max go back and undo all this, would insist that her life isn't worth the deaths of all these people. Chloe and Max feel tremendous guilt over the whole thing, and Chloe never forgives Max.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Orange Sunshine posted:

it's clear that Chloe was meant to die

it's clear that Max was meant to be shocked into extreme action by the trauma of Chloe's near-death and was granted time powers so that she could end the horrid scourge of The Bay.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Max saves Chloe, they have a full and happy life together, then when they're old Max travels back to let Chloe die.

See? You CAN have your cake and eat it too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Orange Sunshine posted:

The real Sacrifice Arcadia ending would have meant Max and Chloe going around town after the storm, finding the bodies of all their friends and family. Here's Joyce dead, here's Kate dead, here's Warren dead, here's everyone else dead. Chloe would demand that Max go back and undo all this, would insist that her life isn't worth the deaths of all these people. Chloe and Max feel tremendous guilt over the whole thing, and Chloe never forgives Max.

It's kind of like leaving things at Chloe shooting Frank or David killing Jefferson. It doesn't matter whether Max actually pulled the trigger or not, the fact that she had the power to stop this and willingly chose not to use it makes her exactly what her Nightmare self says she is: a murderer. As I said, how is sacrificing an entire town for the sake of a person that is currently pleading with you not to any better than the crap James, Jefferson, Sean, etc. did? Hell, if anything the fact that Max can actually feel remorse for her actions would just make it worse.

In general, while she's not bad per se Max isn't really the greatest person either. She's painfully shy and doesn't do well in tough situations, which leads to her coming off as a massive hypocrite at times (making a promise to Chloe prior to leaving for Seattle and never following through, telling Kate to go to the police but hesitating when asked to come along as a backup witness because she "doesn't want to get involved" etc.) or self-absorbed (if Chloe shoots Frank she absolutely despises herself afterwards and is seriously considering just turning herself in. Max basically tells her to suck it up and get back to looking for clues, albeit in a somewhat nicer way). After receiving her time powers she can start to manipulate people into thinking she's better/smarter than she really is and as things go on and her love for Chloe is corrupted into a full blown obsession she starts getting more and more reckless, doing things without asking herself first if she actually should do them (such as going through the photo to stop William from leaving).

While giving up her dreams for the sake of her friend was noble, it should be noted that she didn't actually intend on throwing herself back into the Dark Room, she just didn't think to text David about it before she tore up the photo. As such, Autopilot Max kicked in like normal and the week played out exactly the same. This makes her a tragic character, but not necessarily a heroic one as a majority of her scars wind up being self-inflicted. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions after all and, as we've seen in this game with James Amber, doing terrible things out of love for another person doesn't actually make those things any less terrible.

Compare that to Chloe who is loyal to a fault, will go to insane lengths to help her friends (such as sabotaging her academic future, breaking into the DA's office and tampering with evidence, and taking on a drug lord unarmed all for the sake of a girl she knew for less than a week, killing a man who she not only sort of considered a friend but also saved her life on more than one occasion. sacrificing herself for the sake of a town that she probably has more reason than anybody to want to see burned to the shore, etc.) and doesn't give up on them even when some of them stab her in the back (in fact, I think the only one in her circle that ever successfully broke that trust was Eliot).

This is partially why I personally consider Chloe to be both the true hero of the series and the "greater beauty" her father spoke of (to be fair, they're both kind of bad at the whole "hero" thing but Chloe just has a better track record overall). Even taking the first game by itself, throughout it we gradually see Chloe open up and become more of a complete person while Max starts to deteriorate as she's crushed by the weight of her constant mistakes and her obsession with keeping Chloe alive. By the end, the two girls have effectively swapped roles. Chloe's sacrifice not only saves Max from going down a dark path as well as giving her another chance to achieve her dreams, but it also pacifies Rachel's soul and brings her killers to justice (presumably causing trouble for Sean as well). As a reward, Chloe is at last freed from the chains of her past and reborn as the blue butterfly, watching over Max in the same manner her father did for her as the raven.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 24, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Look at the end of the day it’s neither bay nor bae because Rachel and Chloe went to California and lived happily ever after and nothing bad ever happened to them

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Macaluso posted:

Look at the end of the day it’s neither bay nor bae because Rachel and Chloe went to California and lived happily ever after and nothing bad ever happened to them

Except it's Chloe, and also Rachel. Rachel becomes a movie star who has meltdowns on twitter, and Chloe goes to jail.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
On the other hand bae>bay. Anyone who holds an 18 year old morally responsible for not thinking through their actions in using time powers they can't possibly know the implications of and then refusing to kill their girl/friend after she saw her get shot multiple times and die already has ridiculous moral standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The only morally defensible decision is to sacrifice Arcadia Bay but also treat Chloe like poo poo at every opportunity so that she is likely to kill herself shortly afterwards.

• Locked thread