Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

dexefiend posted:

I prefer the optical industry term of "face cheese."

:vomarine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thanqol posted:

I've got a question about chipping medium. I don't have an airbrush - will the medium activate when I'm doing a second layer of paint with an ordinary brush and normally thinned paint? Will that ruin the effect?

An airbrush really is ideal, it won't work with brush application. Maybe there's a spray can that'll match your basecoat?

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I finished a thing. Just needs the driver, a shot gun riding Squig an a proper Boss.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

For_Great_Justice posted:

I finished a thing. Just needs the driver, a shot gun riding Squig an a proper Boss.

Job’s a good ‘un.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Thank you. Got a project coming up. Turning one of those maw kushas into a squigoth by slapping a trukk flat bed on its back.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Thanqol posted:

I've got a question about chipping medium. I don't have an airbrush - will the medium activate when I'm doing a second layer of paint with an ordinary brush and normally thinned paint? Will that ruin the effect?

You can totally do it. I did it on my old Iron Warriors. You just need to make sure that you give it a good long cure time. Using matte varnish under the chipping medium also helps. The thing you need to watch out for are thick globby washes, which will activate the medium, and once dry, be much harder to activate again.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Those are FoW bases. A lot of guys use them for Epic. The infantry usually use the smallest base, tanks the mediums, and super heavies the large.

Yeah

And regarding thickness, almost all the bases I am seeing are 2mm thick however that adds a lot of height to a 6mm miniature. Is 1mm to thin to do?

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

BULBASAUR posted:

You can totally do it. I did it on my old Iron Warriors. You just need to make sure that you give it a good long cure time. Using matte varnish under the chipping medium also helps. The thing you need to watch out for are thick globby washes, which will activate the medium, and once dry, be much harder to activate again.

Great, thank you!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

bird food bathtub posted:

Is there something like green stuff, but easier to work with? Been thinking about air-dry clay? I have many problems with green stuff when working with it. I can never get it to stick to anything but itself it seems. My latest frustration, and it's just one example of the many times I've been irritated by it, is trying to fill in some seams left by two pieces. To get the green stuff into that tiny little crack it ends up so thin that it's impossible to keep it in place, but it will still stick to my hobby knife or itself like god drat glue. Just the latest single example, I am eternally frustrated in many different ways by green stuff and any kind of alternative would be awesome.

For gap and seam filling you might be better off with a putty like squadron green/white or Mr Putty. There are a ton of different modeling putties with different properties for different applications. You can find a bunch of video tutorials to show you the difference.

For modeling/converting/bases I like apoxie sculpt. I find it easier to work with than green stuff, and cheaper in large quantities.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

For_Great_Justice posted:

Two things.
1. That's loving awesome
2. I hope the throne comes off

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
There just wasn't an easy way to hold or steady Nagash and his long, wobbly book/ghost swirls. But I finished this:

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Nope it does not. Thing was too heavy to try an magnetise.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Call it the Golden Frone Uv Terror, it’ll have to be gold though.

also make it a toilet drops

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

I wish I was clever enough to have made it a toilet. Maybe I can find a lumbar support pillow though.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

Call it the Golden Frone Uv Terror, it’ll have to be gold though.

Please, it's clearly Da Iron Frone. An' if yer play Da Game o' Frones, yer win or yer get krumped. :orks101:

(And it's also awesome, For_Great_Justice! Is that a scratch build?)

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

It is. The old buggy came in a box if old ork stuff a cool dude from my flgs gave to me. The thrones from a necklace novelty thing. Slap them together to create a boss bike. The rando skulls an hood ornament are all ork vehicle bits. And thank you.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

This is the first time I'm straight up highlighting without washing/doing layering only. This was a color test

I used Vallejo Cavalry Brown > Light Rust > Orange Brown so far.

I have 3 questions:

Is this color scheme plausible for a horse?

Does this color scheme work and is it too light for the highlights?

What color do I go for for the final highlights? I'm very bad at picking out colors.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'd darken the nose, otherwise looks good.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Does anyone have any YouTube channels or whatever they like watching for tutorials and painting tips? I’m looking for something that goes a bit beyond what Warhammer TV does. I was watching Painting Buddha’s Ultramarine series and enjoyed it but it looks like they haven’t done anything in a couple of years.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Does anyone have any YouTube channels or whatever they like watching for tutorials and painting tips? I’m looking for something that goes a bit beyond what Warhammer TV does. I was watching Painting Buddha’s Ultramarine series and enjoyed it but it looks like they haven’t done anything in a couple of years.

Kujo Painting This dude is real good and has a smooth Scottish accent.

e: fixed.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 15, 2018

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I like Doctor Faust's Painting Clinic; it's decent paint jobs for mere mortals, and he tends to talk constantly with explanations of what he's doing.

Sorastro also does some cool stuff, not necessarily for wargaming minis (he has series dedicated to Imperial Assault and Zombicide). He does some really interesting and unusual combinations of paints and methods.

Vince Venturella's Hobby Cheating series is a combination of encouraging, reassuring, and mind-blowing.

Comedy answer: Next Level Painting, dog

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Dr. Gargunza posted:

He sounds like an rear end in a top hat, but his methodology is sound.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Yeast posted:

He sounds like an rear end in a top hat, but his methodology is sound.

I know, dude's a really good painter. I just can't watch him for more than like three seconds without being overwhelmed by the urge to start vaping and blasting some Linkin Park.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am finally having to accept that I'm getting too old and my eyesight too bad to paint tiny details unassisted. Is there a good product people use to help illuminate/magnify their projects while they are working on them? I know they make things like that for embroidery and similar stuff, or at least I recall my grandmother working with something similar. Anyone use something similar or have a recommendation for something that works well with miniatures? I'd like something that is sort of freestanding or can clip to a table. Today I was trying to hold a magnifying glass in my off hand and boy that's not a plan.

Mostly for things like painting face details or freehanding designs, I can still do regular painting and highlights without struggling (for now).

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ashcans posted:

I am finally having to accept that I'm getting too old and my eyesight too bad to paint tiny details unassisted. Is there a good product people use to help illuminate/magnify their projects while they are working on them? I know they make things like that for embroidery and similar stuff, or at least I recall my grandmother working with something similar. Anyone use something similar or have a recommendation for something that works well with miniatures? I'd like something that is sort of freestanding or can clip to a table. Today I was trying to hold a magnifying glass in my off hand and boy that's not a plan.

Mostly for things like painting face details or freehanding designs, I can still do regular painting and highlights without struggling (for now).

Maybe look into magnifying desk lamps?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Ashcans posted:

I mean I don't want to sound like an rear end in a top hat but have you hit the upper limit for glasses? They are the ultimate convenient magnifying glass.

Otherwise I think the go-to is those desk lamps with a big glass on them, so you can clamp it to your desk, bend it into place, and it shines light on your work. It works decently well, but I got frustrated with keeping it clean.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Ashcans posted:

I am finally having to accept that I'm getting too old and my eyesight too bad to paint tiny details unassisted. Is there a good product people use to help illuminate/magnify their projects while they are working on them?

Jen Haley uses these: http://www.doneganoptical.com/products/optivisor

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Maybe a low -power binocular dissection microscope with a lit stage?

Or those headband things dentists wear?

genola
Apr 7, 2011
I use one of those headband magnifiers that jewelers use.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

General Olloth posted:

I mean I don't want to sound like an rear end in a top hat but have you hit the upper limit for glasses? They are the ultimate convenient magnifying glass.

Yeah, I had to get glasses a couple years back just for painting. I can read fine and use the computer, but I can't focus on things really close anymore. Glasses fixed that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I know, dude's a really good painter. I just can't watch him for more than like three seconds without being overwhelmed by the urge to start vaping and blasting some Linkin Park.

I like his videos but I tried watching his stream once and it was covered in Rick and Morty graphics plus I seemed to have caught him in the middle of a ten minute vape break.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah, I had to get glasses a couple years back just for painting. I can read fine and use the computer, but I can't focus on things really close anymore. Glasses fixed that.

Me too, i didn't realize that I needed glasses until I started painting again and suddenly found out that I had to hold the mini too far away to really see the details, in order for it not to be blurry. I bought a pair of near-sighted, so called 'reading glasses', for like 10 bucks and only use them when painting, since that's the only place I've noticed a problem.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I have the opposite problem; up really close I see better without my glasses. So inevitably I put them somewhere only to forget about it when I need them.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Ashcans posted:

A pair of cheap reading glasses will feel like magic.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Miniatures Painting - Arthritic Hands, Old Eyes

My biggest issue is finding the perfect viscosity for the small details (like the Admech symbol). Too thick and you don't get the details, too thin and it runs off or doesn't get good coverage. It's learning curve, and I'm improving, but I have a ways to go.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 15, 2018

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I have the opposite problem; up really close I see better without my glasses. So inevitably I put them somewhere only to forget about it when I need them.

This so much. Or when I go to look for a new paint I can't read the labels so I have to hunt for my glasses.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I actually already wear reading glasses that I use when painting that don't cut it for tiny details. Maybe I should talk to my optician about a second pair to kick it up a notch.

Otherwise those headsets look about right (if goofy). I can pretend I'm a professional!

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I just picked up a pair of cheap helping hands (the magnifier with the articulating clips). I have a set for doing soldering work in the garage, so I got one for my minis. I can clip the model in place, and then paint without both the model and my brush shaking. I've eliminated 50% of the shaky hands in the process.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Kujo Painting This dude is real good and has a smooth Scottish accent.

e: fixed.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I like Doctor Faust's Painting Clinic; it's decent paint jobs for mere mortals, and he tends to talk constantly with explanations of what he's doing.

Sorastro also does some cool stuff, not necessarily for wargaming minis (he has series dedicated to Imperial Assault and Zombicide). He does some really interesting and unusual combinations of paints and methods.

Vince Venturella's Hobby Cheating series is a combination of encouraging, reassuring, and mind-blowing.

Thanks! I haven’t gone through all of these yet but I really like Vince Venturella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Dr. Gargunza posted:

/www.youtube.com/user/PhatWOP001"]Vince Venturella[/url]'s Hobby Cheating series is a combination of encouraging, reassuring, and mind-blowing.

Okay yeah this poo poo is baller as hell