Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
CAH can be fun. Stop loving white knighting for social justice points on this dead gay forum for 30 year olds. Go to tumbler or what ever for that poo poo to whine about your triggers.

SJW’ing about board games is great way to ruin a thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
cah seems like trash that shouldn't have money spent on it so i didnt

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Namtab posted:

If you want to call me out buddy then call me out. We could start with a chat about how trying to drive people new to the thread away because you disagree with them might be a bit of a dick move, then move on to a chat about board games. Or you could say sorry and we can move on to the second bit more quickly. Heck you could even link me to a good alternative that I can play with friends face to face (not the meme game though that looks obnoxious)

lol

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I just introduced my girlfriend to Dominion, and she loves it. We picked up the base set and Intrigue, and now she wants to get Nocturne because she's into darkness and werewolves and stuff. I've been out of the Dominion loop for a while, how does Nocturne hold up to the other expansions?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bum the Sad posted:

CAH can be fun. Stop loving white knighting for social justice points on this dead gay forum for 30 year olds. Go to tumbler or what ever for that poo poo to whine about your triggers.

lol

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Because hey who gives a poo poo about anyone but me???

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Namtab posted:

If you want to call me out buddy then call me out. We could start with a chat about how trying to drive people new to the thread away because you disagree with them might be a bit of a dick move, then move on to a chat about board games. Or you could say sorry and we can move on to the second bit more quickly. Heck you could even link me to a good alternative that I can play with friends face to face (not the meme game though that looks obnoxious)

People aren't trying to drive other people out of the thread. (Edit: thread regulars are incredibly frustrated by having this conversation about CAH on a semi-regulat basis.) We're taking about board games and why one board game is bad. People have made other recommendations - Apples to Apples is the most direct parallel. Games like Mysterium, Dixit or Codenames are good for groups and a step up in terms of gameplay/cognitive load. For silly games that you don't have to think about, there's Monikers, The Metagame, Spyfall 2, or CV (I think that's the title). That's a large part of what frustrates people (or at least just me) about CAH: content aside there are so many better games to play that tick the same boxes ad CAH except for built-in gross stuff.

Apples to Apples is literally the exact same game but doesn't have cards that are likely to make some people uncomfortable. The Metagame can be played as a CAH/AtA clone and same as above.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 15, 2018

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

The Narrator posted:

Apples to Apples is literally the exact same game but doesn't have cards that are likely to make some people uncomfortable. The Metagame can be played as a CAH/AtA clone and same as above.
Life is uncomfortable. It's funny that way.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Narrator posted:

People aren't trying to drive other people out of the thread. We're taking about board games and why one board game is bad. People have made other recommendations - Apples to Apples is the most direct parallel. Games like Mysterium, Dixit or Codenames are good for groups and a step up in terms of gameplay/cognitive load. For silly games that you don't have to think about, there's Monikers, The Metagame, Spyfall 2, or CV (I think that's the title). That's a large part of what frustrates people (or at least just me) about CAH: content aside there are so many better games to play that tick the same boxes ad CAH except for built-in gross stuff.

Thank you. I'll check some of these out and let you guys know how it goes.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Bum the Sad posted:

#hottakes and whining about sjw's is well known to not derail threads.

CaH is huge and unless you are closeted about gaming your friends/aquantences will ask you about it or to play it. It's very relevant.

I turned my friend who played it before I showed them good games exist onto jackbox. There if you are lovely it's on you. Also I have a lot of light, instant to teach party games for the drank beer dont teach me new rules times.
Cockroach Poker, skyfall, codenamed. Are great alternatives.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Bum the Sad posted:

OK, but a lot of people use games as a way to have fun without real world uncomfortable/unpleasant poo poo coming in. Telling them "life is uncomfortable" is going to drive them away from the hobby and is dismissive.

Edit: it's literally "play" in the sense of applying real skills to a framework that's nonthreatening

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bum the Sad posted:

Making people of color uncomfortable is not, actually, funny in any way, if the people doing it are white.

Seriously.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

SkeletonHero posted:

I just introduced my girlfriend to Dominion, and she loves it. We picked up the base set and Intrigue, and now she wants to get Nocturne because she's into darkness and werewolves and stuff. I've been out of the Dominion loop for a while, how does Nocturne hold up to the other expansions?

Honestly, I'd recommend you pick up every other expansion first (except for possibly Alchemy). Nocturne is really fiddly and random. Dominion is not exactly the most thematic game anyway, so I wouldn't use theme as a criteria. But if that's important to you, Dark Ages is a much better choice. It changes the game dramatically, but in a more clever way than Nocturne.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

silvergoose posted:

Making people of color uncomfortable is not, actually, funny in any way, if the people doing it are white.

Seriously.
Please stop obsessing about skin color it's really creepy.

Anyway yeah it is. Pushing boundaries and making people uncomfortable is one of the foundations of humor.

Seriously.

The Narrator posted:

OK, but a lot of people use games as a way to have fun without real world uncomfortable/unpleasant poo poo coming in. Telling them "life is uncomfortable" is going to drive them away from the hobby and is dismissive.

Edit: it's literally "play" in the sense of applying real skills to a framework that's nonthreatening
Don't hang around with people you have to walk around on eggshells with.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Bum the Sad posted:

Anyway yeah it is. Pushing boundaries and making people uncomfortable is one of the foundations of humor.

Seriously.

Lorini posted:

Because hey who gives a poo poo about anyone but me???

I didn't think Lorini's post was gonna be this prescient.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

quote:

Quinns: I’m afraid I can’t come at this with any of Paul’s level-headedness or Matt’s social elegance. But maybe I don’t have to. What a world it would be if the creators of Cards Against Humanity could have fun laughing at AIDS, date rape and anorexia, but would deny me my own mean remarks!

I hate Cards Against Humanity because it’s poo poo.

If it’s part of the “face” of modern board gaming, it’s also the pervert’s moustache and smug grin. Fittingly for a game so in love with stereotypes, Cards Against Humanity is every horrible stereotype of a nerd snickering in the corner. It is every person ready to lecture you on how humour must sometimes offend, boldly dragging their Auschwitz joke up to the moral high ground. It is the manifestation of an internet rear end in a top hat.

But that’s not why I hate it. I hate it because it’s poo poo.

Cards games have a storied history of wasting time in a very relaxed manner, offering the precious opportunity to just sit with people. These are the happy lowlands where we find Cards Against Humanity. This is where you have to judge it: against such flexible, high-capacity games as Skull or Wits & Wagers.

What we’ve got here is a relaxed card game with the very real possibility of offending people from all sorts of walks of life. This game had one job, and it failed.

One of two things happens when you buy Cards Against Humanity. One: you’ve got a game where, if new people want to join in, one of the cards might upset them. That’s miserable. To fix this you could try and prune all the offensive cards out beforehand, but it’s no less depressing to imagine someone hunched over a coffee table trying to make their purchase function as a normal game. Or two: you could only play the game with close friends who you know well. Secretly, though, that’s just as terrible. You bought a game you can only ever play with your coolest of cool buddies who don’t get worked up about this kind of thing.

And when you finally get it to the table? It can’t offer the giggle-laced panic of Pictomania, the actual wit of Funemployed, the absurdity of Telestrations. It can offer a limitless stream of pseudo-jokes, lacking either player creativity or the guiding hand of a designer.

Don’t get me wrong. The idea of someone arriving at their very first game night and assuming that the table gaming scene is this insensitive upsets me. But even worse is the thought that someone might sit down to play Cards Against Humanity, and assume the entire hobby is this boring.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bum the Sad posted:

Seriously.

Yeah well if you need to be racist or pretend to be racist I have nothing to do with you. Amazingly so, people that I play with and I play with a ton of people here in LA, don't feel the need to subject me to CAH, imagine that. Somehow they get the feeling (frankly I don't think any of them even play CAH) that maybe playing with a loudmouth black woman with a black grown son might not be interested in 'big black dicks'.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Read the post right above mine, then think about whether you should be trusting your instincts on the topic of racism or Lorini's.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

if u want to be edgy just play fire in the lake and loudly proclaim that the babykillers deserved it whenever you launch an ambush, because at least then youll be playing a good game

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Superfight is a very good alternative to CaH and is much funnier and has room for creativity and the jokes come from players not cards.

Bum the Sad posted:

Just :lol: at the idea of making this post in 2018. I won’t tip toe on eggshells; gently caress off.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Lorini posted:

Yeah well if you need to be racist or pretend to be racist I have nothing to do with you.
That's fine what ever that's your choice but don't try and insult others because they aren't as insecure as you. We embrace our differences and take great joy in taking the piss out of each other. My work place demographics is just like San Antonio where I live basically like 60% hispanic 30% white and 10% black and it is one giant stream of white guy gonna blow up the OR, lazy Mexican, or running late black guy jokes.
We all get along really well because we treat eachother as people, not as special groups that need to be catered to lest their delicate sensibilities get offended. My gaming group is half Mexican half white with a Turk thrown in.

I'm getting strange creepy white man's burden vibes from a lot of you posters who feel you must protect the brown people because they can't take care of themselves.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

What a bunch of poo poo. Why don't you get the gently caress out of here.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

lorini is, in fact, black

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Lorini posted:

What a bunch of poo poo. Why don't you get the gently caress out of here.

Because we all really enjoy eachothers company. Please respect our culture.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Bum the Sad posted:

That's fine what ever that's your choice but don't try and insult others because they aren't as insecure as you. We embrace our differences and take great joy in taking the piss out of each other. My work place demographics is just like San Antonio where I live basically like 60% hispanic 30% white and 10% black and it is one giant stream of white guy gonna blow up the OR, lazy Mexican, or running late black guy jokes.
We all get along really well because we treat eachother as people, not as special groups that need to be catered to lest their delicate sensibilities get offended. My gaming group is half Mexican half white with a Turk thrown in.

I'm getting strange creepy white man's burden vibes from a lot of you posters who feel you must protect the brown people because they can't take care of themselves.

I'm not racist, I've got friends who aren't white, says local piece of poo poo

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bum the Sad posted:

Because we all really enjoy eachothers company. Please respect our culture.

Get out of this thread.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

S.J. posted:

I'm not racist, I've got friends who aren't white, says local piece of poo poo
"Cards against humanity has some stupid racist poo poo but can still be laughed at" = Racist piece of poo poo

Shut up, you're floundering.

Bottom Liner posted:

Just :lol: at the idea of making this post in 2018. I won’t tip toe on eggshells; gently caress off.

You're literally arguing for tip toeing on eggshells.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Bum the Sad posted:

"Cards against humanity has some stupid racist poo poo but can still be laughed at" = Racist piece of poo poo

Shut up, you're floundering.

You're literally arguing for tip toeing on eggshells.

We are laughing at the racist poo poo, it's you

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Bum the Sad posted:

So who here has "people who complain about casual racism are the real racists" as the final spce on their Bingo card?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

S.J. posted:

We are laughing at the racist poo poo, it's you

Has fun playing CAH = racist. Yeah nice logic, you're an idiot looking for e-cred by trolling and accusing people of being racist. Knock it off or come up with a half coherent statement.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

many people have pointed out in various ways that CAH is inferior to other comic party games in a variety of ways

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

StashAugustine posted:

many people have pointed out in various ways that CAH is inferior to other comic party games in a variety of ways

That's fine but enjoying CAH and laughing at offensive humor doesn't make you a racist.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Bum the Sad posted:

Has fun playing CAH = racist. Yeah nice logic, you're an idiot looking for e-cred by trolling and accusing people of being racist. Knock it off or come up with a half coherent statement.

It's funny, because you're like the exact reason that people who defend CAH have a bad reputation.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Anniversary posted:

It's funny, because you're like the exact reason that people who defend CAH have a bad reputation.

The exact reason being "anyone who disagrees with you?"

The current argument seems to be "CAH has some racial humor and is therefor evil and shouldn't be played"

My argument is "You can laugh at anything as long as it's not blatantly hateful"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Bum the Sad posted:

That's fine but enjoying CAH and laughing at offensive humor doesn't make you a racist.

im going to generally assume that you do not actually hate and/or fear black people, yeah. however, i would say that maybe when people, especially minorities, point out to you that they're uncomfortable with some of the themes of the game and explain why, try being a little less dismissive? also play codenames or coup or something for Christ's sake

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That review quoted did remind me how good a game Funemployed is, I should get that out next game night.

So this overflowing toilet of a 'debate' had one good use at least

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Bum the Sad posted:

The exact reason being "anyone who disagrees with you?"

The current argument seems to be "CAH has some racial humor and is therefor evil and shouldn't be played"

My argument is "You can laugh at anything as long as it's not blatantly hateful"

Racism is blatantly hateful.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bum the Sad posted:

Oh I don't know, we can laugh at you too.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Anniversary posted:

Racism is blatantly hateful.

i can't believe you would step on eggshells like this what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

homullus posted:

"The game might be racist trash, but we find it funny 20% of the time and have fun playing literally any game with each other...so all viewpoints on CAH are equally valid"?(??)

No. The game is trash, some of the stuff in it is geared to be racist, and that's trash. It's a poo poo game. I'm saying though, that the hair-trigger response some people have of 'You like CAH? You're awful' isn't one that I can get behind, because I have enjoyed playing that game without the racism aspect coming up. I can imagine a world in which someone is ok and still had fun with it. I'm not trying to change your opinion.

What's good that's come of this though, is that I've found out about Telestrations, Apples 2 Apples, and Funemployment! All of which I shall look into once I have some coin in my pocket! Yay!