Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Just a little tweak to Strassbourg, I'm sure it'll be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Dreddout posted:

Am I the only one concerned about Luxembourg's aggressive expansion

Nothing of value was lost to Luxembourg.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The saddest thing is that there's actually a lot of open space left in Flanders, it's just that most of it is obscured by a century of people building their houses wherever in an incredibly wasteful fashion

e: I just noticed we apparently annexed part of Wallonia to create a corridor to Voeren, I guess that's the politically loaded part. Good, that's our lost clay anyway.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 14, 2018

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Lycus posted:

It's kinda amazing to me that pre-20th century kingdoms let these dinky microstates continue to exist.

Its an awful shame they did. Europe would be far better off without the microstates and their ridiculous residual monarchies. And their tax haven antics.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

can I be Legoland

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Map obviously made by a Parisphile.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Blut posted:

Its an awful shame they did. Europe would be far better off without the microstates and their ridiculous residual monarchies. And their tax haven antics.

Yeah, we're much better off only having the tax havens in the big states like the UK and the US

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Torino to Turambar is one of my fave nerd jokes of all time

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Mano posted:

Yeah, we're much better off only having the tax havens in the big states like the UK and the US

"why bother attempting to fix anything if you can't fix it 100%" is a terrible line of thought. The UK and the US are nowhere near as bad as Luxembourg* for example, on a per capita basis. Or as morally disgusting as Monaco. And besides that, both are also major world powers so rather more secure in their political independence. We might as well focus on the problems we can actually solve, better to make some progress than none at all.

Give Luxembourg to Belgium, Monaco to France, Lichtenstein to Austria etc. Nationalize their royal assets, tax their rich, and end their facilitation of tax avoidance. Its not going to solve everything, but it will help make the world a better place.

*Luxembourg isn't quite a microstate I'm aware, but its close enough. And it has an outsized negative influence on Europe.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
https://twitter.com/NatGeoMag/status/985219924816736257

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Give those microstates to Kiribati, since they'll be looking for a new place to live soon.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like San Marino because they are the sole remaining Italian city state and they were allowed to opt-out of unification because they allowed unificationists to operate freely and welcomed people that the other states had kicked out for supporting a unified Italy.

So their tolerance of the movement to unify ensured that they could remain a micro-state.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 15, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I remember a pic about all the mightiest empires and how they collapsed within generations and how this lil republic of San Marino survived with the same regime for millennia

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Mano posted:

You forgot Ireland

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Let's compromise

The Empire of Luxembourg-Monaco will conquer Europe

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Incredible shrinking Luxembourg:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
More like “The Petite Duchy of Luxembourg”.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'd say Wallonia should at least give the Arlon region back since it's a historically Luxembourgish-speaking area, but of course it's been thoroughly Frenchified now.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Give Trinidad and Tobago back to Latvia, I say.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Remember, the reason Luxemburg isn't part of The Netherlands is because Luxemburg didn't want :females: in their monarchy.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
hahaha please elaborate

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The personal union between Luxembourg and the Netherlands was dissolved due to differences in succession law. Whether or not Luxembourg would have become 'part of' the Netherlands otherwise is anyone's guess.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Incredible shrinking Luxembourg:

How much more must Luxembourg give in the name of peace?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

The personal union between Luxembourg and the Netherlands was dissolved due to differences in succession law. Whether or not Luxembourg would have become 'part of' the Netherlands otherwise is anyone's guess.

The jacobite (catholic british claim, basically) succession is set to pass to Leichtenstein of all things because of the same thing with the bavarian Wittelsbachs.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Remember, the reason Luxemburg isn't part of The Netherlands is because Luxemburg didn't want :females: in their monarchy.

That's also why Catholicism exists

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Actually this is the true Luxemburg clay:

(In brown - Luxemburgische Lande)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

(In brown - Luxemburgische Lande)

I know the HRE had basically no internal coherence, but that is still an intimidating map

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

How the gently caress is this family still around and haven't been Charles IIed into inbreeding hell and collapse?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Peanut President posted:

You forgot Ireland
Everyone always does until someone gets shot.

:cryingmrtayto:

reignonyourparade posted:

The jacobite (catholic british claim, basically) succession is set to pass to Leichtenstein of all things because of the same thing with the bavarian Wittelsbachs.
Isn't it Franz, then Max, then Sophie (which is where the debate between modern and trad Jacobites creeps in), then Joseph?

Anyhow, that entire line is based on the marriage of Maria Beatrice marrying her uncle in a union that would have been illegal in Britain, so there's a whole parallel line of claimants descended from Maria Teresa.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Blut posted:

Give Lichtenstein to Austria etc.

Liechtenstein is almost already a canton of Switzerland, which directs its language, currency, and much of its foreign policy? It might as well be another Zug except that it's part of the EEA, which probably has some practical impact but the only two things i know are (1) that their cell phone service works without Switzerland's continued loving European roaming fees that everyone else got rid of last year; and (2) they make a bunch of dentures which probably get to avoid import taxes or something? There is no customs control, nor even vestigial abandoned border posts, between Switzerland and Liechtenstein so how the EEA works with respect to that is a mystery to me.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 15, 2018

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

If we're dismantling tax havens, Switzerland isn't long for this world.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Saladman posted:

Liechtenstein is almost already a canton of Switzerland, which directs its language, currency, and much of its foreign policy? It might as well be another Zug except that it's part of the EEA, which probably has some practical impact but the only two things i know are (1) that their cell phone service works without Switzerland's continued loving European roaming fees that everyone else got rid of last year; and (2) they make a bunch of dentures which probably get to avoid import taxes or something? There is no customs control, nor even vestigial abandoned border posts, between Switzerland and Liechtenstein so how the EEA works with respect to that is a mystery to me.

Dentures???

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Yes. This company is based there and does so much denture production in Liechtenstein, it's over 1/6 of all the dentures sold globally:
http://www.ivoclarvivadent.com/

They also produce other dental equipment, but the dentures are major.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://imgur.com/V0SuXSn.gifv

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've always felt bad for poor Vorarlberg, a part of Austria that tried and failed to join Switzerland after WWI. They would have avoided a lot of misfortune that way.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've always felt bad for poor Vorarlberg, a part of Austria that tried and failed to join Switzerland after WWI. They would have avoided a lot of misfortune that way.

Oh wow, if they had it would have completely hemmed in Liechtenstein in a Lesotho/San Marino-esque manner.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

khwarezm posted:

Oh wow, if they had it would have completely hemmed in Liechtenstein in a Lesotho/San Marino-esque manner.

Probably still wouldn't have stopped the commies from stealing all their wealth producing assets.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

If we're dismantling tax havens, Switzerland isn't long for this world.

I mean, Switzerland is also a real country. Calling it a tax haven is like calling the gulf states tax havens. It’s not like Gurnsey or Delaware or the Caymans or whatever.

Unless you’re planning on giving Ireland back to the English while you’re at it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It's a landlocked country bordered on all sides by countries it is stealing from. What I'm saying is it's a country literally weeks away from mass starvation if it decides to gently caress with us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also wealthy and well connected enough to set up some kind of Bern Airlift though.