Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

JcDent posted:

Aren't Americans immune to smokescreens in TY?

Most NATO vehicles have thermal imaging, which makes them immune to the hit penalty for shooting through smoke screens, but not immune to the LOS blocking effects of smoke screens.

Dropping smoke right on top of your own guys for the hit penalty seems like a legit tactic for NATO, but Pact can still use it to block LOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Geisladisk posted:

I've enjoyed it so far in spite of it's shortcomings, thank god you don't have to play it if you don't want to. :shrug:
But...but...the very existence of bad rule-sets is an affront to my being! :corsair:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
If it blocks LOS, how does the shooting penalty matter?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

JcDent posted:

If it blocks LOS, how does the shooting penalty matter?

Smoke blocks LOS if the distance from the shooter to the target exceeds... I want to say 10", but I can't really remember. So not very far but not trivial either. So shooting through smoke is possible at short range with a -1 penalty.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It looks like Warlord are apparently redoing the oldest Bolt Action infantry sets, starting with late war Germans and US army.
Oh, that explains why they had a sale for their 'classic' miniatures. Looking forward to a new Commando set! :toot:

Actually, didn't Wargames Factory do WW2 minis before they got bought out? Maybe they'll dust those off. but then again, those were more truescale rather than Heroic scale and I imagine they don't want to piss off old players by having out of scale minis.

I've been reading my shiny new Market Garden book, and I'm very intrigued by the fact that they've added as part of the campaign rules a modification to the Advance manoeuvre, namely you can shoot first, then move (still with the -1 to hit penalty), or retreat without firing (as long as the destination isn't in the open) without having to pass a leadership test if you have pin markers. I wonder if they might make that a part of the game proper. Also, I've kind of noticed that Richard Winters is a bit redundant for paratrooper lists, since it seems like they all have Stubborn anyway. I already bought a Stoessi's Heroes mini of him though, so I guess I'm stuck with him for now!

Oh, also got a Rubicon Easy Eight Sherman (since I found out that has its own unique rules), and i'm thinking of doing it up as one from the 761st Tank Battalion, but while somebody has done decals for an 761st E8, it's not in 1/56 scale. :argh:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Geisladisk posted:

On the subject of TY: I've only played a couple of games, but smoke screens seem really good. The ability to fire and then drop a smokescreen in front of your units which the enemy can't see (and fire) through without getting really close seems amazing. But I've yet to see anyone use a smoke screen in the battle reports I've browsed.

Am I missing something? Should I spend :tenbux: on a bunch of gvozdikas?

Soviets pay a lot for smoke; you see it more with NATO armies who get it from mortars for 1/2 points. US mortars are weirdly overpriced, so they don't use it much either.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm interested in something TY-esque because I thought Wargame was really fun if a bit limited and it'd be nice if I could recreate and expand on the experience.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It looks really clunky but I really want to like TY, I'm lookin forward to NORTHAG.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
How many tanks of each type do you need to play What a Tanker? I really like the idea of playing a campaign and progressing from tank to tank, from 1939 to 1945, War Thunder style

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

JcDent posted:

TY doesn't sound like a very fun game.

The models that I've built so far - USSR and USA - are excellent.

Here's hoping Battlegroup: NOTRHAG gives them a good set of rules to play with.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Just gonna crosspost from Infinity.

So I'm looking for Marauder box replacements, I dig the official models but I don't wanna fill out a link team by scouring eBay and I prefer the Spetsnaz look over the heavy armoured plate. As such I've been looking at Spectre Miniatures' line of stuff, particularly their GRU Spetsnaz.

Since the unique shield guy is impossible to find on ebay for less than 400% markup, definitely getting this fellow at least.

I was curious if people had any other good suggestions for 28mm semi-modern special forces miniatures. I was looking at Eureka Miniatures as I'm based in Aus too, but I like pictures of things when I'm spending my money.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Fish and Chimps posted:

How many tanks of each type do you need to play What a Tanker? I really like the idea of playing a campaign and progressing from tank to tank, from 1939 to 1945, War Thunder style
It depends on how many people are playing, really. And for each tier or year, there are usually a couple of choices. I have a Pz II C and a Pz III that I can convert as anything from Ausf G to Ausf N. With just those two tanks, I can play from 1940 to 1943, at ranks 1, 2, 3. If I picked up a Panther hull, I could get all the way to the end of the war and all the way up to rank 5. That's three tank chassis (each of which has multiple variants) running pretty much all the way through. Easy!

So the answer is basically, "as many or as few as you want."

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Cassa posted:

I was curious if people had any other good suggestions for 28mm semi-modern special forces miniatures. I was looking at Eureka Miniatures as I'm based in Aus too, but I like pictures of things when I'm spending my money.

Hasslefree Minis has a pretty good line, including some more characterful choices and they also sell just bodies so mixing it in with Infinity could be easier with a head swap. There's also The Assault Group whose line is pretty extensive. I also see Empress Miniatures mentioned a lot.

NORTHAG chat: I just want to chime in again and say that the playtest rules are completely free and available right now if you're sick of waiting.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cassa posted:

Just gonna crosspost from Infinity.

So I'm looking for Marauder box replacements, I dig the official models but I don't wanna fill out a link team by scouring eBay and I prefer the Spetsnaz look over the heavy armoured plate. As such I've been looking at Spectre Miniatures' line of stuff, particularly their GRU Spetsnaz.

Since the unique shield guy is impossible to find on ebay for less than 400% markup, definitely getting this fellow at least.

The dudes who make Skirmush Sangin have some 90's Delta Force that are great, and probably other more recent stuff too if you check their site.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Ilor posted:

It depends on how many people are playing, really. And for each tier or year, there are usually a couple of choices. I have a Pz II C and a Pz III that I can convert as anything from Ausf G to Ausf N. With just those two tanks, I can play from 1940 to 1943, at ranks 1, 2, 3. If I picked up a Panther hull, I could get all the way to the end of the war and all the way up to rank 5. That's three tank chassis (each of which has multiple variants) running pretty much all the way through. Easy!

So the answer is basically, "as many or as few as you want."

Great! I've got late war pretty much covered, but lack early war tanks. I'm drooling over Zvezda and PSC reinforcements right now, while cursing my expended entertainment budget for this month.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Springfield Fatts posted:

NORTHAG chat: I just want to chime in again and say that the playtest rules are completely free and available right now if you're sick of waiting.

I am pretty sure this is just a fanmade BG expansion and not actually related to NORTHAG. Still pretty good.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

I am pretty sure this is just a fanmade BG expansion and not actually related to NORTHAG. Still pretty good.

Love the Battle Drill ability for the Soviets in that one, though.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Well I've ordered the rulebook, cards and jumping off points for Sharpe Practice.

Is the Waterloo set enough for a starter for English and French forces for this? Does it include the metal officer figures for the infantry/cavalry so you have enough officers?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Thundercloud posted:

Well I've ordered the rulebook, cards and jumping off points for Sharpe Practice.

Is the Waterloo set enough for a starter for English and French forces for this? Does it include the metal officer figures for the infantry/cavalry so you have enough officers?

The Waterloo set from warlord? It only has a metal commander figure for both sides.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Thundercloud posted:

Looking at the set, it's not perfectly laid out for Sharp Practice (considering the unit sizes), but it's not a bad start.

Why not perfect?

- You get exactly enough for even infantry units, but no extra officers. If you had a few extras, you could easily do them as NCOs, but now you'll have to either sacrify a unit or get extras.

- You don't get any skirmishers. For SP2, I think skirmishers are more integral to the game and add a lot more than say, the artillery pieces you get. Or even the cavalry.

- You'll get the sub-par Warlord chasseurs-a-cheval. Now, I have them too. Like, 40 of them. But I got them before Perry released their plastic Chasseur box, which looks just superior in any way.

Looking at a £70ish budget, which is the price at the Warlord shop, I picked together these at firestorm game instead:

2 boxes of British Line infantry
2 boxes of French Line infantry

these go for £72, and will give you a lot of line infantry and some skirmishers as well. You could chuck out one of the French infantry boxes, and get the dragoons instead, as you get one unit of cavalry and one of dismounted dragoon skirmishers in the box as well. It's just a great set, and if you get a second dragoon box you'll be able to field three units of dragoons and two extra units of skirmishers.

It's a bit less flashy than the Waterloo box with both cavalry and artillery, but I think you'll get more use out of them. It's hard to beat two boxes of perry infantry as a starting point for SP2, since you can cram out both regular infantry, skirmishers and officers/NCOs out of them.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I echo Jonas suggestion. Leave cannons for later it's just infantry that can't move very well, and in small games cavalry is gonna get owned most of the time. In small units they're gonna lose the fisticuffs by being outnumbered and even if you force the enemy into a square you might not have the muskets to out shoot them when you have a bunch of horsies.

For the British I'd pick up a box of Perry or Victrix (more fiddly bits) and then buy some metal rifles.
Leave Warlords boring (but oh so uniform and fast to assemble poses) when you need more battalions for GdA or something...

Also 100 days (Waterloo) is kinda boring, go Peninsular all the way. Then you can get guerilleros and Portuguese also.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

lilljonas posted:

Looking at the set, it's not perfectly laid out for Sharp Practice (considering the unit sizes), but it's not a bad start.

Why not perfect?

- You get exactly enough for even infantry units, but no extra officers. If you had a few extras, you could easily do them as NCOs, but now you'll have to either sacrify a unit or get extras.

- You don't get any skirmishers. For SP2, I think skirmishers are more integral to the game and add a lot more than say, the artillery pieces you get. Or even the cavalry.

- You'll get the sub-par Warlord chasseurs-a-cheval. Now, I have them too. Like, 40 of them. But I got them before Perry released their plastic Chasseur box, which looks just superior in any way.

Looking at a £70ish budget, which is the price at the Warlord shop, I picked together these at firestorm game instead:

2 boxes of British Line infantry
2 boxes of French Line infantry

these go for £72, and will give you a lot of line infantry and some skirmishers as well. You could chuck out one of the French infantry boxes, and get the dragoons instead, as you get one unit of cavalry and one of dismounted dragoon skirmishers in the box as well. It's just a great set, and if you get a second dragoon box you'll be able to field three units of dragoons and two extra units of skirmishers.

It's a bit less flashy than the Waterloo box with both cavalry and artillery, but I think you'll get more use out of them. It's hard to beat two boxes of perry infantry as a starting point for SP2, since you can cram out both regular infantry, skirmishers and officers/NCOs out of them.

I thought skirmishers would likely be a big part of any game.

I've been looking at the ranges. Would I be ok to use the dismounted Dragoons as a skirmish unit regarding uniforms?

From some of the videos seen online it seems like I'd be fine starting with a box of infantry for each, though as a number of people are starting up at the club the temptation is to go for one of the less mainstream forces (as loads of people will go English or French go Portugese or Prussian instead or something), but english and french are both good and easy to paint.

On the basing front I was thinking of going with GW 25mm round bases with these trays:

https://www.sarissa-precision.com/War_of_the_Ring_Infantry_Tray_-_individual_10x25mm/p1603368_13113972.aspx

https://www.sarissa-precision.com/Cavalry_Movement_Tray_Set/p1603368_17563778.aspx

Magnets go on the base, and a small sheet of metal goes on the mdf tray.

I'll be getting a first game in Tuesday so I'll form an opinion then.

It looks like everyone will be going AWI/Napoleonics, so there's a decent variety of available forces.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

With PSCs' US Tank Company Amy box, can anyone tell me how many infantry sprues are included? I want to make sure that I can build a Chain of Command force from it, but I'm not certain how well it shakes out.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

quote:

Walk in the footsteps of Patton! racing through France and storming into the heart of Germany. You can now recreate those epic flanking manouvers in Brittany and Normandy and keep the Germans watching their flanks with this US Tank Company box set. Included in this box set you will have 7x Sherman M4A1's, 5x M4A1's 76mm wet, 3x Stuart M5A1's, 5x M3 Halftracks, 29x Riflemen, 4x M1917 MG teams, 4x M1919 MG teams, 4x M2 HMG teams, 4x Basooka teams, 4x 80mm mortar teams, 4x 120mm mortar teams and 2x mixed base sprues.

TBH you would likely be better off buying just the infantry box itself and then whatever tanks you like from Zvezda.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

We're going to play other games eventually too, because I'm weak, but my question is mostly on that "29 riflemen" thing. Looks like they're using the same sprues, and those include BAR gunners and SMGs, and I don't know of those guys are included in the count or not

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Signal posted:

We're going to play other games eventually too, because I'm weak, but my question is mostly on that "29 riflemen" thing. Looks like they're using the same sprues, and those include BAR gunners and SMGs, and I don't know of those guys are included in the count or not

Going off literally the only unboxing video I can find, it looks like you get 4 infantry sprues.

https://youtu.be/3cIk-QSaWXs

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Going off literally the only unboxing video I can find, it looks like you get 4 infantry sprues.

https://youtu.be/3cIk-QSaWXs

Thanks, I appreciate it. I think those might be heavy weapons sprues, but it will probably work out

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Most of the heavy weapon sprues are one of each team and they're fairly distinctly multipart kits. I have them around somewhere, and it turns out that I have more bazookas than anyone will ever need.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

*basookas

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
At least some of mine are Warlord, so I have both.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

I thought skirmishers would likely be a big part of any game.

I've been looking at the ranges. Would I be ok to use the dismounted Dragoons as a skirmish unit regarding uniforms?

From some of the videos seen online it seems like I'd be fine starting with a box of infantry for each, though as a number of people are starting up at the club the temptation is to go for one of the less mainstream forces (as loads of people will go English or French go Portugese or Prussian instead or something), but english and french are both good and easy to paint.

On the basing front I was thinking of going with GW 25mm round bases with these trays:

https://www.sarissa-precision.com/War_of_the_Ring_Infantry_Tray_-_individual_10x25mm/p1603368_13113972.aspx

https://www.sarissa-precision.com/Cavalry_Movement_Tray_Set/p1603368_17563778.aspx

Magnets go on the base, and a small sheet of metal goes on the mdf tray.

I'll be getting a first game in Tuesday so I'll form an opinion then.

It looks like everyone will be going AWI/Napoleonics, so there's a decent variety of available forces.

Yeah, you can field dismounted dragoons as skirmishers. They would often operate like that, especially on the peninsula. Basically there are two versions of dismounted dragoons:

- Those who were temporary dismounted, for example when operating where buildings or dense terrain made mounted fighting ineffective. They'd leave two men holding horses for every eight men. The remaining six would act as skirmishers, but still dressed as mounted dragoons (so no backpacks, and riding boots instead of shoes etc). These are depicted in the Perry plastic dragoon box.

- Regiments that were not given horses at all, and were basically operating like ordinary line infantry. These were temporary solutions where the supply of horses were just too low. They would form normal line formations, and wear backpacks, trousers/breeches and shoes. You can make these by using the Victrix 1807-12 box, if you have extra dragoon heads from the Perry box.

I'm doing both versions, but I haven't painted up the Victrix conversions yet. You can see my Perry dragoons here:

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog/more-french-dragoons

It's a pretty terrific box, I can really recommend it.

As for smaller nations, remember that you can use the French plastics and paint them up as Swiss (Napoleon's own redcoats!), Italians or Croats (both of them being green instead of blue). That will give you a nice way to do something a bit different, without devoting yourself to boutique metal and resin casts.

However, if you do want to devote yourself to boutique metal minis, there are worse fates than doing a Polish army by Murawski, I've got a bunch of their stuff in my painting queue and they look great.

Austrians are also always a good choice, they are involved in almost as many wars as the French, and between Victrix and Perry you have some great plastic options. It's down to if you can live with painting predominately white minis or not.

As for bases, my opinion is that 25mm bases are simply too large for rank-and-file napoleonics, they'll end up not looking as if they are in a line formation. A more realistic size would be 15mm wide bases, but that's really not practical unless you glue the minis directly to a larger base, like a 60mm wide base with four minis. I think that the reasonable compromise for games with individually based infantry is to go for 20mm bases. If I used 25mm bases, it would be for officers (it's nice to distinguish them easily) or maybe skirmishers, but even then you'll probably want to be able to clump them together now and then.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 16, 2018

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Springfield Fatts posted:

Hasslefree Minis has a pretty good line, including some more characterful choices and they also sell just bodies so mixing it in with Infinity could be easier with a head swap. There's also The Assault Group whose line is pretty extensive. I also see Empress Miniatures mentioned a lot.

Arquinsiel posted:

The dudes who make Skirmush Sangin have some 90's Delta Force that are great, and probably other more recent stuff too if you check their site.

Thanks for both of these, lesson being move to the UK for cool modern miniatures hahaha.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Is there a place to get 20mm bases and trays for them?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I'm partial to Sarissa Precision, but there are lots of MDF companies that make them.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

Is there a place to get 20mm bases and trays for them?

I got mine through Supreme Littleness Design (in the uk), but warbases pops up a lot too.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
gcmini.com is my go-to MDF place

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

My wargaming group has been on an Ancients kick lately, so here's the first of what I hope will be more pictures:

That's a bin containing eight - yeah, eight - Aventine Roman Army Deals. Or, more accurately, four Republican Roman Army Deals and four Allied Italian Army Deals.

Each Unit deal is 8 Triarii, 16 Principes advancing, 16 Hastati, and 16 Velites.

So that'll make two armies, each consisting of 32 Triarii, 64 Principes, 64 Hastati, and 64 Velites.

That's this army (not mine), doubled:

Plus I picked up some cavalry - but they're Romans, so Cav is a very low priority.

I figure I'll copy the photos and use the old wargamer's standby of making my Romans wear red and the Italian Allies wear white. It looks nice. I won't invest in the fancy designs on the shields, though - they look good, but I prefer plain shields.

I'm going to base the models like the ones in the photos - 60mm x 40mm steel bases, with models in two ranks of four each. Two stands together will make an Impetus base, and that's our Ancients rules set of choice these days. "Half a stand" - that is, each one will count as two in-game stands - will work for DB(X) or FoG if we ever try those again. They'll also work "as is" with a few stands together for Hail Caesar, and with casualty markers they'll work for Warhammer Ancient Battles of Clash of Empires.

Looks like I've got a lot of painting ahead. Wish me luck.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What a Tanker is now available in PDF at the Lardies' shop!

:woop:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Get it. It's phenomenal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Definitely did. I think I can actually sell some of my non-historicals gamer friends on this, the presentation looks incredibly accessible.