Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I haven’t seen it but no way it’s worse than attack of the clones

You say that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I legitimately feel sorry for anyone who couldn’t derive any bit of enjoyment from Last Jedi. Time will rightfully mend its reputation, just like ESB before it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The first Hobbit film in 48FPS is the worst film I've ever seen because it was visually unpleasant from start to finish.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I legitimately feel sorry for anyone who couldn’t derive any bit of enjoyment from Last Jedi. Time will rightfully mend its reputation, just like ESB before it.

Pretty much everything with Rey, Luke and Kylo is fantastic, and the rest is rather uneven.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Roth posted:

I wish I could claim that any Star Wars movie was the worst movie I'd ever seen.

Same. I could take back so many hours watching Netflix trash that way.

On the other hand I can claim to be one of the few thousand people on Earth to have seen Delgo.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I agree that it has some enjoyment and I think it's a very interesting failure, but I have no reason to suspect that it will ever be popularly considered to be on ESB's level.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I second Transformers 2 as the worst movie I paid to see. Childhood nostalgia and Detroit pride kept me watching those movies longer than I should have.

Movie I didn't pay for, I have no clue. My bartender friend plays some really obscure, bizarre poo poo. Like last night, he played the Phantasm trilogy just to be contrarian on Friday the 13th. I protested by playing Friday the 13th on the bars NES, but the joke was on me..

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
the bars NES

Popeahuntis
Apr 10, 2009

Worst movie I ever saw in a cinema was Mother!

Christ, that is a film that just expects you to give it a pass just because it uses every possible indie movie cliche possible.

For perspective I’ve also seen Mamma Mia! in the cinema. Mother! is worse

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Chickenwalker posted:

The worst movie I've seen is hands down The Last Jedi. It's bad in ways I really can't conceive of a movie with that kind of budget being.

Aaaahaha you're one of those people

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Worst flick I ever saw was some pile of poo poo with Mickey Rourke and Brittany Murphy as meth heads. It wasn’t so much the story or performances, just the direction and ‘style’ of it, it might have been trying to replicate the experience of using meth or whatever, I don’t know but IT WAS loving ANNOYING to a point where I wanted to hunt down the director and slowly feed them to pigs.

Compared to that, things like Revenge of the Fallen look like masterpieces of visual clarity and enjoyment.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The worst movie I paid to see objectively is probably Avatar The Last Airbender. The movie that I walked out of feeling the most angry should be The Dark Knight Rises edging out the moratorium movie and the first Amazing Spider-Man, because I like Batman a lil more than the other two.

I'm not really a Star Wars guy at all which is why I think I liked TLJ. It's the only Star Wars movie I've seen that I remember a lot of quotes, can think of a scene that really worked for me, and wanted to talk about after I saw it. Unfortunately, the discussion did not seem very friendly to my view of things.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Worst movie discussions are either going to go a subjective route (like "Green Lantern is the worst superhero film ever. Nothing worse has ever been made.")
Or you try applying objective criteria and it runs down a rabbit hole of people finding badly made, obscure films.

Something which is objectively hard to watch, cost millions, is offensive and also pissed off viewers is a good middle ground. So I'd nominate one of the Bay Transformers films, probably 2.

But going with the earlier post, I would fully accept the idea that the Last Jedi is the worst Star Wars movie. Yes, even above the Prequels.

Come and fight me.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Within The Last Jedi, there is an absolutely fantastic Star Wars movie. Unfortunately, there's a whole goddamn bunch of boring other stuff, and the movie ended up being sort of like a $500 steak that has poo poo for marbling. No matter how good the meat is, a lot of people just aren't gonna eat that steak. But there are some steak fans who just fuckin love some fuckin steak, and they're going to cut the poo poo from the steak and eat it happily, and there are some Star Wars fans that fast forward through the tedious parts or just honestly love every minute of the movie and I say gently caress yeah for them cause it owns when people get to watch movies that they like.

Mostly I'm pissed that John Boyega spent most of the movie sidelined with the B plot, because he's rad as hell.

So, if anyone was wondering, the chant that Black Panther is leading in that recent Infinity War trailer is "Yimbabe," which is Xhosa for "hold fast" and is also dope as hell.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Worst movie I saw in a theater is a tie between Valarian and Tomorrowland. I was going to say Battlefield Earth, but I went to that expecting it to be bad so we could laugh at it. A guy tried to give us Scientology pamphlets in the theater.

I just watched Valerian on Prime yesterday. It was like they told every actor involved to be bad, then gave them a bottle of Xanax. Except for Clive Owen, he was fun to watch.

E:Clive Owen does have basically a lifetime pass from me after Children of Men, though.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
God, Children of Men is so loving good. That stairwell scene alone deserves all the accolades.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

God, Children of Men is so loving good. That stairwell scene alone deserves all the accolades.

I love sitting down and watching it with someone who hasn’t seen it. It always completely blows them away.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Samuringa posted:

I can't face watching it anymore as near enough every horrible thing about it other than the sterility plague is on the verge of actually happening here now. But yeah, it's amazing filmmaking.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Samuringa posted:

Not empty quoting

The only movie I've ever walked out of for being so terrible was rush hour 3 so i guess that's my worst movie

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Nthing Children of Men being amazing.

Also I have never walked out of a movie but I got dragged to and therefore paid hard earned dollars to see loving Doom of all things.

There was also some incredibly boring horror/found footage movie about some college kids visiting Japan who were haunted by a cg kitsune that was so mediocre it wasn't even so-bad-its-good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Doom rules what's wrong with you????

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i hated king arthur so much that when that scene happened where a dude shot an arrow across a field and into a tree, killing a guy hiding up there i audibly said "nope thats enough" and got up and went outside to smoke cigarettes until my friends finished the movie

that movie sucked

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I actually liked Doom more than most people but I really wanted to see Good Night and Good Luck. :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best part of Doom is right at the beginning, before the movie starts, where they do the Universal logo with Mars instead of Earth.

Not sure why they bothered with the whole "They have DOUBLE chromosomes! It's turning them into monsters!" (or whatever) thing because "There's a portal to Hell on Mars! Demons are coming through it!" is a perfectly good premise as it is.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Universal does that a lot but my favorite one was the OG 70s logo in front of Land of the Lost.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They did a Dark Universe that was going to be at the start of all the Dark Universe movies.

Remember the Dark Universe?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

there should be a grindhouse movie version of DOOM 2016

would probably have to be animated, but i would still enjoy a two hour version of that

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

The best part of Doom is right at the beginning, before the movie starts, where they do the Universal logo with Mars instead of Earth.

Not sure why they bothered with the whole "They have DOUBLE chromosomes! It's turning them into monsters!" (or whatever) thing because "There's a portal to Hell on Mars! Demons are coming through it!" is a perfectly good premise as it is.

It wasn't just limited to the movie. I can't remember where I saw this (might have been the Doom novels where the monsters were secret aliens.) But other adaption of Doom shy away from the idea that these creatures are from real deal Hell. Because a guy shooting them might anger the religious right or something.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My dream is to see Danny DeVito in a MCU role

Moleman, "You gotta pay the mole toll if you wanna get into that boyshole"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Question IRL posted:

It wasn't just limited to the movie. I can't remember where I saw this (might have been the Doom novels where the monsters were secret aliens.) But other adaption of Doom shy away from the idea that these creatures are from real deal Hell. Because a guy shooting them might anger the religious right or something.

It's not like doom hell is anything like religious hell tho

Soul Glo posted:

there should be a grindhouse movie version of DOOM 2016

would probably have to be animated, but i would still enjoy a two hour version of that

Anime doom would probably be hilarious I would watch that

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I am way more willing to give flawed movies a pass than most I think, like most of the movies people have listed that I've seen I thought were ok, or at least enjoyable. But gently caress, The Last Airbender. Holy gently caress that movie was so bad. If it wasn't for the fact that I was there with my cousins I absolutely would have walked out.

Had some nice end credits though.

Edit: I've seen worse, but not in theatres.

Rhyno posted:

Doom was a bad movie, and a very bad Doom movie, but it was fun.

catlord fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 15, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Rhyno posted:

she's not alone

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

site posted:

It's not like doom hell is anything like religious hell tho

Of course it makes no sense. The programmers wanted to make a game that was just like a Heavy Metal album cover. So they included skeletons with rocket launchers for shoulders. And came up with the rational for everything that it was from Hell.

But you are dealing with one of the most irrational organizations, that prizes money and blind devotion to dogma over any kind of logical thought.
But enough about Hollywood execs. The Catholic church probably wouldn't be too happy with you shooting sinners in the face with a shotgun.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The last jedi was bad, but at least it was interesting and had some cool shots. Worst superhero movie for me is a tie between x-men 3 and AoU. Disclaimer, i have not seen catwoman or electra. I get the feeling that they'd qualify if I had.

Though I think the last airbender would have them all beat

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah you need to see Electra. It makes the Daredevil movie look like The Godfather by comparison.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Everyone talking about worst movies clearly never had to watch lovely westerns with my dad on Sunday afternoons. Time actually slows down while you're watching them.

In terms of cinema releases though, yeah, Attack of the Clones is up there. Phantom Menace still has a bit of an aura about it. It's utter poo poo, but it's kind of fascinating to watch from a historical perspective.

For a movie to be bad it has to be a tedious chore to get through, have no enjoyable or memorable moments, and watching it actively makes you angry at how poo poo the story and characters are. AotC hits all those sweet spots for me. There's no reason for it to exist.

Also, Catwoman.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Nthing that i will take the homogenized, but good, marvel movie formula over the dreck what used to be comic book movies

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I rented Catwoman from Blockbuster and the best thing about it was a doc about the character's history and various incarnations hosted by Ertha Kitt and some other people I can't remember.

I never saw Elektra and you can't make me!!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Not only have I seen Elektra, I bought it as a gift for my dad because he loves that terrible, terrible movie.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not only have I seen Elektra, I bought it as a gift for my dad because he loves that terrible, terrible movie.

People indulging their loved ones terrible taste is the purist form of love honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's just occurred to me that I actually saw both Catwoman and Elektra on aeroplane journeys.

I remember I always used to see Elektra and Daredevil bundled together with a third movie in those cheap three movie dvd sets but I cannot for the life of me remember what the third one would've been.

• Locked thread